• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammer24

Banned
Whattup, Germany-GAF
Ready to win this thing today or what? :D

181816_101508983662417xaq4.jpg

What's going on with his hair? It looks a lot thicker in that shot compared to this:
Wayne+Rooney

toppik.png

?

The topic of his hair came up at work, and someone on my team (who is bald at 25) was being teased that he should get the transplant. Turns out he really put time into researching it, and found out you're not supposed to have the surgery until your balding cycle stabilizes (you stop loosing hair completely for a set period).

If you do it before then (which I suspect Rooney might have) then your newly implanted hairs can fall out, and you'll have to work extra hard with creams / sprays to maintain the.
thickness

Also, the surgery for fully bald people tends to happen in stages.

Fritz

Has this one been posted?

"We're gonna buy them!" (double meaning: "buying someone" can mean "giving someone a good beating" in this context).

If anything it's funny cause the FT puts itsself to that level.

Fritz

According to SportBild, Germany will play with Schürrle, Klose and Reus. Crazy but genius (if true).

EXCITE!

Actually, this is certainly a good occasion to mix things up! With a headless greek team, there is not much to loose. Or everything really Oh God, so fucking excited!!!

EXCITE!

Actually, this is certainly a good occasion to mix things up! With a headless greek team, there is not much to loose. Or everything really Oh God, so fucking excited!!!

Its one match. 90 minutes. The slightest risk, one below-par performance, one mistake can easily see you knocked out. I hope Greece batter you, especially if you treat them as a pushover

Fritz

Its one match. 90 minutes. The slightest risk, one below-par performance, one mistake can easily see you knocked out. I hope Greece batter you, especially if you treat them as a pushover

But the team has never ever taken any match lightly and they will not this time. If anything I hope they can take the heat they get in this political climate.

Me personally, I flaunt around all day long if I want to.

bjaelke

Germany just have that extra gear as they showed against us in the last game. They switched gear as soon as Portugal scored their second goal. A goal from the Danes would've sent the Germans out of the tournament at that point, but instead the Germans went up and scored a goal only 6 minutes after the Portuguese to secure the first place in the group. Impressive and annoying.

I expect they'll be able to do the same to the Greek side although they probably defend better than the Danish team did.

Chuckie

We've been using the melody and the 3rd verse of the song (Lied der Deutschen) again since 1952 in West Germany, even though technically all 3 verses are part of the anthem, only the 3rd verse is to be sung (during public occasions). Since 1990 it's also the anthem of all of Germany.

Yeah I thought it was something like that.

But then I still don't really get this:

you are kidding, right?

I mean it was not technically correct, but still kind of correct right? Or does it have a negative connotation because the first verse was used during WW2?

clemenx

Banned
Now that LeBron won I hope Portugal wins so the Ronaldo haters can stfu as well. 2 most annoying group of haters on the internet.

Fritz

I mean it was not technically correct, but still kind of correct right? Or does it have a negative connotation because the first verse was used during WW2?

I think it's frowned upon cause it stems from and is indicative of the mad nationalism of the early 20th Century that led into the two WWs.

"Deutschland, Deutschalnd above all, above all in the world." It's kinda wtf?

Someone using it really doesn't affect me personally though, it's not offensive or anything, despite when used by a German who should know better.

From Wikipedia:

Despite the text and tune of the song being remarkably peaceful compared to many other national anthems, the song has frequently been criticised for its generally nationalist theme, the geographic definition of Germany given in the first stanza, and the somewhat male chauvinist attitude in the second stanza.[9][10] An early critic was Friedrich Nietzsche, who called the grandiose claim in the first stanza ("Deutschland über alles") "die blödsinnigste Parole der Welt" ("the stupidest phrase in the world").[9]

Nietzsche being too cool for school as usual.

Booya

Neo Member

Yes, the connotation goes very much into the Nazi-times. You wont hear germans singing the first verse unless i guess its at some backwood neonazi party...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutschlandlied

thy_

Sorry I did not know there was an issue with the sentence.

What is the issue?

You did not? I was sure you used it because we Germans are so inhibited about it. ;)

It's the first line of the first stanza of the "Deutschlandlied" and means "Germany above all else".
In 1841, when the song was written, Germany as a country didn't exist. So it was the concept of a single country for all German people that should be put above all else. After WW1 and WW2 most people think of putting Germany above all other countries, when they here the line.

The other "problematic" part of the first stanza is, that it goes on to define who should all be part of this Germany. Including areas that are now part of Poland, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Austria and Italy.

As the national anthem the Deutschlandlied was first used in 1922 during the Weimar Republic.
The Nazis stopped its usage and it became again the West-German anthem in 1952, but only the third stanza was ever sung.
In 1990 unified Germany officially adopted only the third stanza as its anthem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom