• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

derwalde

But Germany didn't eliminate Italy in Italy. They didn't even play each other that world cup. You are referring to 1990 right? I had to wiki it just now. We are talking about revenge. I'm just saying it wouldn't be equal if Germany beat Italy tomorrow to make up for what Italy did to Germany in 2006. That guy brought up revenge so I was just trying to understand what he meant by Germany or France getting revenge tomorrow.

to be fair, i put it in the context of the zidane-materazzi-drama. as i said, its kind of a personal "double-revenge" for me ;P

Congratulations Spain!

I'm very proud of our boys.

dHvlLl.jpg

2MF

two penalties? wtf game were you watching?

The first one was when a spanish defender sloppily fell on the ball to get it away from the attack. He used his chest together with arm to push it away. Very clear in the replay...

Edit - it was Sergio Ramos I think

But Germany didn't eliminate Italy in Italy. They didn't even play each other that world cup. You are referring to 1990 right? I had to wiki it just now. We are talking about revenge. I'm just saying it wouldn't be equal if Germany beat Italy tomorrow to make up for what Italy did to Germany in 2006. That guy brought up revenge so I was just trying to understand what he meant by Germany or France getting revenge tomorrow.
Yeah, I knew all that. It's still better to be defeated by the later champion than by the runner-up.
It's just that you blew it out of proportions (crushed souls, eh?), everyone still celebrated the 3rd place even though it seemed stupid to do so, lol.
I'm sure there will be barely any fear or a crippling desire for revenge in this team. Only 2 or maybe 3 player remained from that team. That revenge game will obviously be vs. Spain, not vs. Italy.

derwalde

Yeah I can understand that. As a Zidane/Germany fan you must despise the Italians lol I know I would.

to be honest, i dont. its (mostly) a new generations of players. its not their fault that materazzi was such a bitch. and the game 2006? im okay with that loss. imo we didnt earn the finals or the title in 2006. i didnt like our team back then as much. but im happy german soccer evolved so well in the last 6 years.

rvy

Banned
Yes he does, he started as a midfielder, but that didn't worked out.
I'm willing to bet the problem isn't him then, because what you saw him play this Euro is exactly like he played in Benfiica. Except he didn't have a Ronaldo wasting his runs and 1-2 passes.
Fábio would fit like a glove in Barca, because of how they play. He's not good for Madrid's play style.

bud

ronaldo is so fucking selfish. he should've taken a penalty instead of waiting to take the final one and take the spotlight. it wouldn't have worked, anyway, because fabregas didn't miss. meanwhile, bruno alves took a penalty and we all know how that worked out... nani 'stealing' his penalty probably didn't raise his confidence level either.

sneaky77

ronaldo is so fucking selfish. he should've taken a penalty instead of waiting to take the final one and take the spotlight. it wouldn't have worked, anyway, because fabregas didn't miss. meanwhile, bruno alves took a penalty and we all know how that worked out... nani 'stealing' his penalty probably didn't raise his confidence level either.

What's the big deal? Normally you want one of your most sure players to take the usually decisive 5th pk..

feel

Congratulations Spain!

I'm very proud of our boys.
Congrats to nuestros hermanos, best of luck for the final ;).
Don't read the last few pages :(

not outdated, still very apt. U mad bro?

Glad Portugal is out. loudest mouths from a country that has won nothing of note in football. See you in 2014.
What? Do you have a couple of obnoxious Portuguese neighbors or something? That's some wild generalization you're doing there that's just plain not true, we're usually humble and aware of our limitations. Maybe you're confusing our passion for something else.

IceCold

You're acting as if the penalty list can change.

cloudyy

I think Meireles shouldn't have passed to Ronaldo at the end of the second half but bomb the ball into the net like he did against Benfica in the CL.

Jensen

Nani didn't steal his penalty, the coach submits a list of players taking each penalty and teams cannot change that order.

Nani said:
"It's very difficult when you know your team worked very well and did everything they can do. When it goes to penalties you can do nothing, sometimes you get unlucky, and this is football. Congratulations to Spain. My team-mate hit the bar. He thought it was his turn but the coach told me it was my turn. It didn't affect me I was always confident. The coach had already made his mind up about the order before the shoot-out but there was confusion between me and Bruno.

I'm not sure why Bento chose Ronaldo to go last but in hindsight it clearly wasn't a good decision.

Kyoufu

Ronaldo missed penalties against Chelsea in the CL Final and against Bayern in the CL Semi Final.

He would have missed here too :p

rodvik

Meh I am a bit of a Spain hater but they were just about the better team. It was hard to paint them as the only divers after Ronaldo did his spectacular one.

I think I will be rooting for the winner of Germany/Italy in the final if this game is anything to go by.

rvy

Banned
Don't read the last few pages :(

I had been posting from my iPhone, what happened?

SHOULD I DARE CHECK IT OUT?!
Nah, probably not, lol.

People need to be more mature, even if it's football we're discussing and emotions tend to overtake reason. Both teams could have gone through, they scored, we didn't.

jtb

Banned
Ah. So it is Bento's fault. Oh well... they've fared better against Spain than any other team so far this tournament, imo. Hoping for a Germany/Spain final, though an Italy/Spain wouldn't be bad either - the era began with the defeat of Italy and the fairytale ends with a final against Italy.

Portugal got Spain against the ropes during the first half.

Shit got even in the second half, with Spain winning more steam near the end.

Spain got Portugal cornered during the prorogue.

The ref sucked for both teams.

I don't know how anybody could dispute any of this.

+add that Bento fucked up putting Alves 4th and Ronaldo 5th on PKs

cloudyy

I'm not sure why Bento chose Ronaldo to go last but in hindsight it clearly wasn't a good decision.
I don't understand why he choose the 2 central defenders, I think there were at least 2 portuguese players with fresh legs that came in during the extra time.

bud

Ah. So it is Bento's fault. Oh well... they've fared better against Spain than any other team so far this tournament, imo. Hoping for a Germany/Spain final, though an Italy/Spain wouldn't be bad either - the era began with the defeat of Italy and the fairytale ends with a final against Italy.

it's pretty fucked up, then, that they only found out about that as he was about to take the penalty.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I don't understand why he choose the 2 central defenders, I think there were at least 2 portuguese players with fresh legs that came in during the extra time.

I can't say I know Portugal's team, but perhaps they were talented PK takers? Pepe's penalty at least was class.

RaGe_pt

Well congrats to Spain for getting once again to the final. The game was balanced and both sides tried their best, we did an excelent job of blocking most of Spain's main plays but we didn't get lucky at the penalties. Anyway, we did good in this Euro.

jtb

Banned

Two factors, I think. 1: whoever volunteers. 2: Central defenders almost never take PKs, so a GK who does their homework (like Casillas) won't know which way they normally go.

Still, taking off Meireles for Varela (I think?) was a dumb dumb decision against a side that had six midfielders on the pitch. Especially since he didn't take a penalty. At that point, Portugal was hanging on by a thread against a rampant Spain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom