• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
I'm a big racing fan and I do actively avoid major racing sites and forums because I do watch things later. But this is a video game forum and the OT has a huge variety of subjects that are covered, so I dont feel I should have to avoid GAF altogether just because people aren't thoughtful enough to hide spoilers within the thread instead of just posting it outright for everyone to see whether they wanted to or not.

I dont know. Like I said, I dont feel its asking a lot. Its not pertinent to have some witty line in the topic title that gives away results. It sucks that I'm basically gonna have to resort to avoiding GAF completely until the tournament is over just because this small little compromise cant be made.

Personally, I dont feel like news about Osama being dead is anywhere near the same thing. Its more like a movie/TV show/book. You dont want to know what happens at the end before you even get a chance to start. It ruins all the suspense and fun of watching.

I disagree if only because movies/TV shows/books are fiction. I think it would be pretty unreasonable to be outraged if someone told you Hitler died at the end of a WW2 film/book/whatever because that's culture, that's reality, that's what happened - period. I understand wanting to watch it after the fact - I do that on occasion as well, but I also understand that I have to go out of my way to do so if I want to avoid being spoiled and I don't think avoiding GAF in the time between the match and the time you watch it is unreasonable at all. I think the thread titles give this thread a real flavor to it and I would be pretty disappointed if they were done away with - even though they obviously aren't necessary for discussion of the tournament.

that's just my two cents.

IceCold

nWz5B.jpg

lol

Seanspeed

Banned
I disagree if only because movies/TV shows/books are fiction. I think it would be pretty unreasonable to be outraged if someone told you Hitler died at the end of a WW2 film/book/whatever because that's culture, that's reality, that's what happened - period. I understand wanting to watch it after the fact - I do that on occasion as well, but I also understand that I have to go out of my way to do so if I want to avoid being spoiled and I don't think avoiding GAF in the time between the match and the time you watch it is unreasonable at all. I think the thread titles give this thread a real flavor to it and I would be pretty disappointed if they were done away with - even though they obviously aren't necessary for discussion of the tournament.

that's just my two cents.

If GAF was a soccer-specific site, I'd agree with you. But its not. Its meant for video games and then on the side in Off-Topic, a very wide variety of subjects, which I like to skim through and find interesting stuff.

But its cool. Personally, I go out of my way to not spoil things(anything) for people, but if a little witty title(which can exist still without having results spoiled....) is more important to you, then whatever. Some people are just more thoughtful than others I guess.

jtb

Banned
If GAF was a soccer-specific site, I'd agree with you. But its not. Its meant for video games and then on the side in Off-Topic, a very wide variety of subjects, which I like to skim through and find interesting stuff.

But its cool. Personally, I go out of my way to not spoil things(anything) for people, but if a little witty title(which can exist still without having results spoiled....) is more important to you, then whatever. Some people are just more thoughtful than others I guess.

if it makes you feel any better, I'm totally an asshole IRL too, so don't take it personally.

the issue with me is checking my subscribed threads...

I kind of understand your pain, to be honest I hardly go anywhere else in GAF except my subscribed threads, at least that's what I got bookmarked on my browser anyway. I guess I am lucky enough to live in North America where the time zone isn't at a ridiculous time of the day and have a work environment that allows me to stream it.

I would vote for a long ass "................................" after the "Euro 2012 |OT2| of" so it will look something like this in the main OT page "Euro 2012 |OT2| of.............................Ronald..."

And if you wanna read the entire thread title you actually have to click in to the thread and read it.

Problem solved, no??

IceCold

I know some of you guys were wondering about this:

The shirt says:
Junior
Pai te ama
Parabéns

which means:
Junior
Father loves you
Congratulations

Also today is Father's day and Ronaldo lost his dad a couple of years back due to alcoholism. I bet that was on this mind today and made him enter beast mode.

pulga

Banned
Really? C'mon. There's a big effort in most threads about whatever subject to avoid spoiling things for people. I dont see why this one should be the exception.

Watching these races live isn't always an option for some of us.

I'd like to be able to follow the tournament and still be able to use the internet. I dont think thats asking a whole lot. The solution is pretty simple, dont you think? Is it really too much to ask to not have spoilers in the thread title? :/

Why do you even want to go into the thread if you don't want to get "spoiled" ?

Fry

The thread title change has been occurring since day 1. If you got spoiled this way at this point of the tournament, it's all your fault.

I know some of you guys were wondering about this:

The shirt says:
Junior
Pai te ama
Parabéns

which means:
Junior
Father loves you
Congratulations

Also today is Father's day and Ronaldo lost his dad a couple of years back due to alcoholism. I bet that was on this mind today and made him enter beast mode.

He's congratulating his kid for having him as a father? lol!!!

It was his kid's birthday

I see. Makes sense now. Sorry,I don't keep a calendar with footballer's kids birthdays. :p

RJT

He's congratulating his kid for having him as a father? lol!!!

I see. Makes sense now. Sorry,I don't keep a calendar with footballer's kids birthdays. :p

Congratulations is what portuguese people usually say forf happy birthday (Feliz Aniversario is much less common).

CassSept

http://i.imgur.com/JnjPt.jpg[IMG]

You're telling me that all these guys are 28 and younger?

Da fuq, futball?[/QUOTE]

Robben always blows my mind. I don't really follow football all that much apart from tournaments and was took by surprise when I learned he is barely 28.

I mean, hell, he looks easily nearly, or even over 40, and looked like that for several years now. Weeeeird.

Joe

What has to happen for Spain to be knocked out?

I'd rather this goes as smoothly as possible and just let Spain beat Croatia and if Italy can't beat Ireland they don't deserve to go on anyway.

CassSept

Croatia has to win, so I think it's pretty impossible.

I can see them going for the draw though. Then both Spain and Croatia progress, unless Italy beats Ireland by 3 goals or more. At least I believe it's that way.

Totalriot

I'd rather this goes as smoothly as possible and just let Spain beat Croatia and if Italy can't beat Ireland they don't deserve to go on anyway.

Only if Croatia and Italy win, Spain is out. If Italy wins and Spain and Croatia draw, Spain would still make it.

snoopen

Ya, you cant complain about sports spoilers if you are on the internet. You want to save it then you need to go on blackout. Turn off the car radio, turn off the TV, do nothing.
Yeah, it's fucking dumb. I got banned for a month for posting an F1 result hours after after the race had happened. Seriously.

Vitet

Croatia has to win, so I think it's pretty impossible.

I can see them going for the draw though. Then both Spain and Croatia progress, unless Italy beats Ireland by 3 goals or more. At least I believe it's that way.

Only in the 1-1 scenario. In case of draw, I think it works this way. Online calculators are not reliable:

Spain 0 - Croatia 0 / Italy wins -> 1. Italy 2. Spain. Croatia can't go through. Italy is first place because they have more goals in the tied matches than spain (1-1 / 1-1 VS 1-1 / 0-0)
Spain 1 - Croatia 1 / Italy wins by less than 3 goals -> 1. Spain 2. Croatia. Spain is first because they have better GD than Croatia
Spain 1 - Croatia 1 / Italy wins by 3 or more goals or 2 goals if the result exceeds 4-2 -> 1. Spain 2. Italy. Italy 1st place if they beat Spain GD
Spain 2 - Croatia 2 or higher / 1. Spain 2. Croatia. Italy can't go through. Spain is first because they have better GD than Croatia

Spain always qualifies with a draw because they will always have a higher GD than Croatia

Hieberrr

Only in the 1-1 scenario. In case of draw, I think it works this way. Online calculators are not reliable:

Spain 0 - Croatia 0 / Italy wins -> 1. Italy 2. Spain. Croatia can't go through. Italy is first place because they have more goals in the tied matches than spain (1-1 / 1-1 VS 1-1 / 0-0)
Spain 1 - Croatia 1 / Italy wins by less than 3 goals -> 1. Spain 2. Croatia. Spain is first because they have better GD than Croatia
Spain 1 - Croatia 1 / Italy wins by 3 or more goals or 2 goals if the result exceeds 4-2 -> 1. Spain 2. Italy. Italy 1st place if they beat Spain GD
Spain 2 - Croatia 2 or higher / 1. Spain 2. Croatia. Italy can't go through. Spain is first because they have better GD than Croatia

Spain always qualifies with a draw because they will always have a higher GD than Croatia

So I guess we all have to hope that Croatia comes out and beats Spain? :D

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah, it's fucking dumb. I got banned for a month for posting an F1 result hours after after the race had happened. Seriously.

Except you did it in a football thread where one member had asked for it not to be spoiled and everyone else complied. If he had seen the F1 thread that ruined it it's a different thing entirely.

Bo130

Being a dane I'm actually totally okay with us not going through. Would have been nice, but scoring against each of the three teams in the group is more than I had hoped for prior to the tournament. Now, go Spain! :D

DerZuhälter;38978374 said:
Is it just or are people watching different games than me? I really think this German team is way inferior to the one we've seen last world cup. I can't even get excited for the games anymore because they play sluggish and crude to be quite honest.
Özil is lacking the creativity he is known for, which is also the fault of the unflexible positioning of Gomez. Podolski seems to be a completley different player without Klose around him and Müller... well lets just say his main charm was the way he always darted into the striker position and created scoring opportunities.... but since Gomez doesn't move away of this position and isn't creating spaces by pulling the defensive line apart Müller's play is totally ineffective.

Germanys play looks static and as soon Bayern players get the ball any kind of momentum and speed gets killed (Tempoverschlepper No.1 Kroos... thank good he isn't playing much), valueing possession more than creating goal scoring opportunities.
I'm also not impressed by Badstubers performance. Good opening plays from the defense but lacking "true defensiv skills" e.g. marking, tackling, headers.

This Euro killed all the love I had for this team. :(

Welcome to the Bavarian national team.

Is it just or are people watching different games than me? I really think this German team is way inferior to the one we've seen last world cup. I can't even get excited for the games anymore because they play sluggish and crude to be quite honest.
Özil is lacking the creativity he is known for, which is also the fault of the unflexible positioning of Gomez. Podolski seems to be a completley different player without Klose around him and Müller... well lets just say his main charm was the way he always darted into the striker position and created scoring opportunities.... but since Gomez doesn't move away of this position and isn't creating spaces by pulling the defensive line apart Müller's play is totally ineffective.

Germanys play looks static and as soon Bayern players get the ball any kind of momentum and speed gets killed (Tempoverschlepper No.1 Kroos... thank good he isn't playing much), valueing possession more than creating goal scoring opportunities.
I'm also not impressed by Badstubers performance. Good opening plays from the defense but lacking "true defensiv skills" e.g. marking, tackling, headers.

Yeah, I agree with you

It was ridiculous that the other player ignored Schürrle in many good situations.

Linius

Too bad the wunder of Charkov never happened. Can't believe we started the match so good and gave it all away after twenty minutes. There are so many things wrong with this team :(

I'll be cheering for Greece, go get those Germans!

Gambit

The 2010 team has grown up. Back then everyone underestimated them and they could play quick counter-attacking football.

Now their quality is well-known and teams play against them as they do against Spain.

This Germany is more mature and not headlessly rushing into attack.

I much prefer this calm, collected style to high-scoring early performances and prematurely crashing out of the tournament.

This time you know Germany has room to improve and switch into a higher gear. In 2010 there was only one gear.

raiot

Too bad the wunder of Charkov never happened. Can't believe we started the match so good and gave it all away after twenty minutes. There are so many things wrong with this team :(

I'll be cheering for Greece, go get those Germans!

Hey, dont hate us! We beat the danes, all you had to do to advance is win with 2 goals difference :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom