• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
That's the way I think the rules should be too, there's no excuse for being offside. Unfortunately FIFA don't agree, read page 108 of the rules and it describes this exact situation.
That's some nonsense if you believe that the play should be whistled down whenever any player (regardless of their position/relevance on the pitch) is offside.

Kem0sabe

Guardiola's Barcelona play a different style than Spain. They have Messi and their play is much more appealing to watch.

Exactly the same with the exception that they have Messi to goals... but the constant sideways passing and diving is still there... damn... they have some of biggest divers and cheats in European football playing in their team, even managing to outshine Robben and Ronaldo.

operon

iDc8UDjBHEmdm.gif

Most definitely a penalty, nut like the one Bendter should have got, Croatia and Denmark are small fry to UEFA and referee's and Italy and Spain

leroidys

I don't agree.

Why? Not because Iniesta passes to Navas, but because he can pass to Navas. The first situation with the ball over to Iniesta alters the reaction from the Croats. If Iniesta was there on his own, the keeper would've come straight out. Since Navas was there the keeper held back. Navas was there because he was offside.

It's a grey area.

This. It is certainly not black and white.

To be clear though, my initial "offside" reaction was because I thought that Navas AND Iniesta were off on the pass. It looks like Iniesta was on though.

Talon

Exactly the same with the exception that they have Messi to goals... but the constant sideways passing and diving is still there... damn... they have some of biggest divers and cheats in European football playing in their team, even managing to outshine Robben and Ronaldo.
Granted I don't see that many Barca games outside of CL action, but Biscuits and Alves don't constitute the whole team, IMO.

Iniesta, Xavi, Fabregas and Messi are class enough. Note that all these players are quite short.

Did you guys see Balotelli trying to elbow an irish defender on the face and missing, right after he was subbed in? He's such a fuckup.

operon

I think he was making a substitution gesture before his mouth was covered up,so I think he was going to moan at the coach for not playing him.

That what the bbc studio was thinking as well, a great goal he doesn't need to spoil with mouthing off crap. Glad we played much better tonight, referee gave us damn all though. But we did our fans proud with a far better and gutsy display

Just saw that Balotelli goal, so good.

Regarding that Navas goal, Navas was definitely offside when the initial ball was played to Iniesta, and he was definitely onside when Iniesta played the final ball to him (both were past the last outfield defender so since Navas was behind Iniesta when the ball was played, he was rightfully considered onside).

So then it just depends on if, in the referee's view, Navas directly interfered with the play while he was in an offside position. That's a bit of a gray area, that would be based solely on the ref's discretion.

In my personal view, they got it right.

Sylver

Banned
The difference between Barca and Spain is that Barca finishes its chances.

And Biscuits never finds himself in the box on a counter.

We (as Barcelona supporter, too) have suffered from that this year, too. Alexis (most of the season) and Villa's injuries have been crucial too. We have missed +20 goals from Villa.
Del Bosque should have put Soldado (the most successful spaniard scorer this season) on the final list.

Socreges

Banned
They passed a knock off stage with an offside goal on the WW, and now this... Best team in the world for sure!
What's the WW? What are you talking about? "and now this" -- If we assume they would have scored the penalty, Spain would have still gone through and won the group, either way.

Salty Portuguese tears taste the best.

Shiloa

That's the way I think the rules should be too, there's no excuse for being offside. Unfortunately FIFA don't agree, read page 108 of the rules and it describes this exact situation.
I don't think it's quite like that situation. Look 7 on p.105 - not offside. But, it clearly states the offside player is not doing anything to distract the keeper. For the Spain goal, Navas was actively moving into the area. p 108 clearly states the offside player is not interfering.

Hence, grey area.

KageZero

So close... can't blame anyone we played good, a shame we couldn't score. Spain goal wasn't offside but we could have been awarded with 2 penalties on mandzukic and corluka.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Also, instead of blaming Spain of playing boring (which is crazy and stupid) why dont you complain about every team they play putting 8 defenders in the fucking box? Spain plays with offense in mind, if you dont want us passing the ball, then take it! This is not catenaccio, we play the angles and find our way to the box which btw leaves us very open for counterattacks.

What should make you angry is when teams that play good soccer like Holland turn into thugs because they cant figure out how play us any other way. We need better strikers to make our goal totals look better, sure, but we shot more on goal than ANY team in the last world cup ... So dont try to tell me thats boring

Talon

VdB's probably right to be playing a 4-2-3-1 (see: Holland with VdV over MvB - Dutch names are the best), but I'd like to see them be ballsy and play with a 3-4-3 with all that midfield talent.

They'd get ripped on the counter, but that'd be wondrous to watch.

Zabojnik

I would have liked to see a true ItalJuve, with Barzagli - Bonucci - Chiello in the back and Marchisio - Pirlo - De Rossi (fuck you, Motta!) in the middle. Oh well.

Kem0sabe

What's the WW? What are you talking about? "and now this" -- If we assume they would have scored the penalty, Spain would have still gone through and won the group, either way.

Salty Portuguese tears taste the best.

Fuck it... That goal was clearly offside... but hey... Spain winning games undeserved and cheating their way to titles is no news.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c85_1277914271

I wish for a Spain - Portugal final, a fair one... where we can beat you 4-0 like last time.

Wilbur

Banned
Also, instead of blaming Spain of playing boring (which is crazy and stupid) why dont you complain about every team they play putting 8 defenders in the fucking box? Spain plays with offense in mind, if you dont want us passing the ball, then take it! This is not catenaccio, we play the angles and find our way to the box which btw leaves us very open for counterattacks.

What should make you angry is when teams that play good soccer like Holland turn into thugs because they cant figure out how play us any other way. We need better strikers to make our goal totals look better, sure, but we shot more on goal than ANY eam in the last world cup ... So dont try to tell me thats boring

I'm sure you're aware that the reason a lot of teams play counter attacking football (not boring; Croatia certainly didn't look boring and should have scored at least once) is a reaction to Spain's play. It's actually quite the compliment. It's up to Spain to beat tactics made specifically to counter them. I personally don't like watching them, and I miss the Barcelona with Eto'o and Henry, they were much better to watch.

JLG-

I don't think it's quite like that situation. Look 7 on p.105 - not offside. But, it clearly states the offside player is not doing anything to distract the keeper. For the Spain goal, Navas was actively moving into the area. p 108 clearly states the offside player is not interfering.

Hence, grey area.

That's a completely different scenario. Page 105 is when the attacker is shooting a long range shot directly at goal while a player that is offsides is trying to distract the keeper.

Page 108 is what you should be looking at, as it is the exact same scenario that happened. It was onside.

Buzzati

Banned

What should make you angry is when teams that play good soccer like Holland turn into thugs because they cant figure out how play us any other way. We need better strikers to make our goal totals look better, sure, but we shot more on goal than ANY team in the last world cup ... So dont try to tell me thats boring

Spain isn't boring at all. They play a very branded football because of size and style of their offense. The passing makes sense.

leroidys

Can't I dislike both? If I don't find Spain's play enthralling, I have to support thug football?

Talon

Can we stop discussing the letter of the law and focus on the realities?

When have you seen a goal disallowed in that similar situation?

Shikoro

Totally deserved that we lost against Spain. I'm only sorry for Modrić who was the only one putting up a good fight against them. The other ones were just scared as f*ck... Spain, boohoo. :p

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Winning every single game 1-0 does not make you a lot of fans. I like the Spanish players individually, but I find the national team incredibly boring to watch. I would take an aggressive Holland over a clinical Spain any day (not saying I support aggressive teams, just that they make for better football).

Of course Holland was complete crap in this tournament. I was more referring to their form in the World Cup.

I have to admit that I missed the foul by Badstuber (the replay came like a minute after it happened). Of course it had to be Badstuber, I've never seen shirt pulling by Hummels..
Still feel like it's less obvious (Bendtner pulled too, a bit)/less severe than Busquets' wrestling attempt..

iboUGkWB57ivS2.gif

Socreges

Banned

Quoted for truth.

I have to admit that I missed the foul by Badstuber (the replay came like a minute after it happened). Of course it had to be Badstuber, I've never seen shirt pulling by Hummels..
Still feel like it's less obvious (Bendtner pulled too, a bit)/less severe than Busquets' wrestling attempt..

iboUGkWB57ivS2.gif

Yeah that isn't close to as clear a penalty as the Biscuits one. Could easily be judged though.

fuenf

that was a bad play, easily Badstubers worst game of the season (great timing...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom