• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

KageZero

Totally deserved that we lost against Spain. I'm only sorry for Modrić who was the only one putting up a good fight against them. The other ones were just scared as f*ck... Spain, boohoo. :p
What game where you watching if i may ask? We played at least equally with spain, or is this a sarcastic post?

Shiloa

That's a completely different scenario. Page 105 is when the attacker is shooting a long range shot directly at goal while a player that is offsides is trying to distract the keeper.

Page 108 is what you should be looking at, as it is the exact same scenario that happened. It was onside.
No it isn't. It makes no difference whether it's a shot or not.

Nolan.

Totally deserved that we lost against Spain. I'm only sorry for Modrić who was the only one putting up a good fight against them. The other ones were just scared as f*ck... Spain, boohoo. :p

I really think they were really unfortunate to fall 'through the trap door' because they really played well this tournament, they surprised me.

NHale

So why is anyone still defending that Croatia wasn't robbed when even Marca admit that the referee missed 2 penalties against Spain?

Zabojnik

What about half Giovinco? (pun not intended)

Giovinco too. Cassano is decent, but it's pretty clear that he isn't in the best of shapes yet. Don't think Prandelli will 'risk' it, though. I hope he does back to 3-5-2, 'cause that's the only formation where at least half of the players on the pitch know what they are supposed to be doing.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
When will they start using technology in football matches? Disgusting.

Because human error is part of the fun? I dont want soccer to be some clinical sport where every call has to be examined like in American Football, it doesnt fit the sport and can make it a lot less accessible for smaller markets. What happens in the pitch stays in the pitch. Move on.

This isnt coming because my team "gets the calls" either. I had the same opinion in 2002 When we got jobbed against Korea in the quarter finals (if you think the calls in this game were bad ...)

Wilbur

Banned
It's odd that I'd rather play Spain than almost all the other teams that have qualified. Greece & Czechs, nope; but I'm more afraid of France, Germany, Italy, and Portugal

NHale

Because human error is part of the fun? I dont want soccer to be some clinical sport where every call has to be examined like in American Football, it doesnt fit the sport and can make it a lot less accessible for smaller markets. What happens in the pitch stays in the pitch. Move on.

This isnt coming because my team "gets the calls" either. I had the same opinion in 2002 When we got jobbed against Korea in the quarter finals (if you think the calls in this game were bad ...)

I'm sure Croatia is having a lot of fun right now...

It's odd that I'd rather play Spain than almost all the other teams that have qualified. Greece & Czechs, nope; but I'm more afraid of France, Germany, Italy, and Portugal

Portugal? England should only be afraid of us if they can't beat us before the penalties.

Buzzati

Banned
Giovinco too. Cassano is decent, but it's pretty clear that he isn't in the best of shapes yet. Don't think Prandelli will 'risk' it, though. I hope he does back to 3-5-2, 'cause that's the only formation where at least half of the players on the pitch know what they are supposed to do.

Cassano was the best out there. Laser precision no-look passing. This guy is gold. Though, it would be nice to see more Giovinco.

Socreges

Banned
The feeling is mutual. I would love for Spain to play England (preferable to France).

FootballFan

Yes it does.

Say(Jesus is in an offside position), Cesc takes a shot, goalie saves it but the ball lands to Jesus who scores. Or even if Jesus is blocking the GKs view from an offside position and Cescs shot goes in. Then it is offside.

but

Say(Jesus is in an offside positon), Cesc passes to Iniesta who is onside, who then passes to Jesus after he moves to an onside position without interfering in the play while being offside, then it is onside.

I'll admit and apologise if I am wrong, but I am almost certain I am right.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
A Spain v England game would be a ton of fun. I like how England plays, probably in the top 3 for me in this tournament.

Leonsito

Bad game from Spain, good result, that Busquets action was a penalty, thank god the referee didn't see it, I wanted to punch Biscuits in the face when I saw the replay.

Zabojnik

Cassano was the best out there. Laser precision no-look passing. This guy is gold. Though, it would be nice to see more Giovinco.

Eh, he's good for 45min, he fades away in the second half. Italy's main problem is the lack of a great striker, however. Di Natale, as good as he is at Udinese, lacks the international pedigree, Balotelli is ... Balotelli. Still think Prandelli should have brought Matri.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Giovinco too. Cassano is decent, but it's pretty clear that he isn't in the best of shapes yet. Don't think Prandelli will 'risk' it, though. I hope he does back to 3-5-2, 'cause that's the only formation where at least half of the players on the pitch know what they are supposed to be doing.

It's quite unfortunate that we won with the 4-3-1-2. The two goals came from set pieces/cross..

gurasa

iDc8UDjBHEmdm.gif
I've seen many situations like this one where shirt pulling inside the box gets a free pass by the refs, never understood it. That's a penalty.

Socreges

Banned
Yes it does.

Say(Jesus is in an offside position), Cesc takes a shot, goalie saves it but the ball lands to Jesus who scores. Or even if Jesus is blocking the GKs view from an offside position and Cescs shot goes in. Then it is offside.

but

Say(Jesus is in an offside positon), Cesc passes to Iniesta who is onside, who then passes to Jesus after he moves to an onside position without interfering in the play while being offside, then it is onside.

You are. I'm surprised this still has to be debated.

Anyway, not a great game from Spain. They looked disinterested at times. Xavi, in particular. Hopefully it was just for lack of inspiration.

Saty

How many injustices need to keep happening in the name of 'human error is part of the fun'. wtf? yes, let results be decided by incompetence. That's why they added two more referees, so even more can get it wrong! How does using tech makes a sport less accessible. Give each team 3 challenges a match. Most of the times, the play is stopped anyhow with players complaining or whistle going off.

Why go all this process if the score can be affected by incompetence. At the very least they should introduce hawk eye for the ball passing the line (which i believe they are). Or are you even against of letting the team have their hard-won goal (the whole point of the sport) stripped because shitty referees?

Shiloa

Yes it does.

but

No no no. Totally different. Goalie would've been playing him on after saving it as it's new play phase or whatever you want to call it. The point I'm making is that the initial play, the first pass, changes the actions of the keeper (his movement and positioning as he has to try and cover two players, as opposed to one) depending on whether Navas was there or not.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Onside.

Spain miss David Villa, he was vital to their attack. So much passing without any real penetration and shots on goal which Villa was able to do. He's been their best player along with Xavi and Iniesta over the last few years and 1 of the main reasons they won the tournaments.

thanks, nice pic and a good explanation.

Spain was pretty boring tonight. But I swear that they do it on purpose. 'shit 88 minutes, we better get that goal now'.

They're like robots. I've picked Germany to beat em in the final, but I don't know... they look a lot more dangerous with Villa, but man Inesta is class. He's apparently the best player of the tourny so far stats wise (pre the spain game tonight) with most successful passes etc.

JLG-

Yes it is dude. Look at the graph.

I mean it clearly depicts the exact same situation yet you choose to ignore it for whatever reason.

The graph you seem to be hung up on (pg105) is a completely different scenario.

Shiloa

Yes it is dude. Look at the graph.

I mean it clearly depicts the exact same situation yet you choose to ignore it for whatever reason.

The graph you seem to be hung up on (pg105) is a completely different scenario.
It's not the exact same situation. Why? It doesn't state the player (C) is active when the first pass is made - there is no movement and it states at the time h he was not interfering with play. He was for the Spain situation.

Yen

I think we can all agree that by Spain going through, at the end of the day, football has won. Justice is served, by their sumptuous style of play. It's pure poetry and they deserve to go through purely for that.

I find all of this Spain hate amusing. I'll treat them the same way I treat counter-attacking "hoof it and hope" teams. A team shouldn't be held down when it gets results by playing to its strengths. Spain's a team made out of small, technically creative players. They're a possession team, that's what they do. Why should a team be penalized for playing their brand of football? Same thing goes for teams that spend most of the game absorbing pressure in their own end and then break on the counter. Teams should be playing for wins, not to entertain us.

As for tomorrow, I'm thinking England and France should both take care of business. Ukraine is a dangerous team playing in front of their home supporters, they'll give England all they can handle. But England with Rooney back will be too much for them.

JLG-

It's not the exact same situation. Why? It doesn't state the player (C) is active when the first pass is made - there is no movement and it states at the time h he was not interfering with play. He was for the Spain situation.

It states he was offsides when the first pass was made... Same situation.

Again page 105 is when a player is offisdes and interferes with the keeper while someone onside is taking a shot at goal. Completely different.

Big-E

That Balotelli goal is just pure magic. The amount of power he gets on that shot is insane given his positioning and where he struck it. Jesus. Glad we are through so hopefully a good run can be made to save the world from Greece.

Wilbur

Banned
I find all of this Spain hate amusing. I'll treat them the same way I treat counter-attacking "hoof it and hope" teams. A team shouldn't be held down when it gets results by playing to its strengths. Spain's a team made out of small, technically creative players. They're a possession team, that's what they do. Why should a team be penalized for playing their brand of football? Same thing goes for teams that spend most of the game absorbing pressure in their own end and then break on the counter. Teams should be playing for wins, not to entertain us.

It's odd you pick Spain to illustrate that point because plenty of casual watchers of international tournaments and the Champions League expect entertaining football from the likes of Spain.

A Spain v England game would be a ton of fun. I like how England plays, probably in the top 3 for me in this tournament.

Yup should be a cracking game. Looking forward to the contrasting styles of play. It’ll be:

Guile and Technique vs. Grit and Determination

Intelligence and Passing ability vs. Hoof and Barge

Possession based gameplay vs. Kick and Rush

Who shall prevail? Stay tuned folks!

Maxrunner

I think we can all agree that by Spain going through, at the end of the day, football has won. Justice is served, by their sumptuous style of play. It's pure poetry and they deserve to go through purely for that.

they didnt even deserve to win this game...

Socreges

Banned
I've seen many situations like this one where shirt pulling inside the box gets a free pass by the refs, never understood it. That's a penalty.
If you watch it live, it really wasn't clear. The Croatian player puts his elbow up in front of Busquets and at the same moment leaps over him. At the same time Busquets grabs his arm/sleeve and pulls him over. It looks like they're both fouling each other at first glance.

F#A#Oo

Banned

Hmm...their style is more akin to a python...they suffocate you with no possession and keeping you constantly moving back into shape or pressuring till they can find that yard of space.

Shiloa

It states he was offsides when the first pass was made... Same situation.
No. Read please. It states he was offside but it also states he's not interfering. For Spain's goal, Navas was interfering. Remove him from the situation and the keeper would've acted differently (by coming out to reduce the shooting space for Iniesta). That's where I say the grey area is. How does a ref decide what action would've changed had the offside player not been there.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The thread just went from playful and fun to bitter and cunty.

So many sore butts and sandy vaginas. It's ok, all of you will get what you deserve :p

Snakeyes

I find all of this Spain hate amusing. I'll treat them the same way I treat counter-attacking "hoof it and hope" teams. A team shouldn't be held down when it gets results by playing to its strengths. Spain's a team made out of small, technically creative players. They're a possession team, that's what they do. Why should a team be penalized for playing their brand of football?

Why are people not allowed to hate on a playstyle they don't find entertaining?

Same thing goes for teams that spend most of the game absorbing pressure in their own end and then break on the counter. Teams should be playing for wins, not to entertain us.

Funny, because televised sports exist solely for an entertainment purpose. This isn't some anime where sports teams are playing to save the world.

Eh, he's good for 45min, he fades away in the second half. Italy's main problem is the lack of a great striker, however. Di Natale, as good as he is at Udinese, lacks the international pedigree, Balotelli is ... Balotelli. Still think Prandelli should have brought Matri.

Di Natale was about to score an incredible goal in the first half. Amazing coordination.

Yen

Hmm...their style is more akin to a python...they suffocate you with no possession and keeping you constantly moving back into shape or pressuring till they can find that yard of space.

It's glorious stuff, and by default, they should be guaranteed the victory. The Croats did not know the importance of the tiki, nor the taka. There was a moment around the 50th minute mark when Busquets passed to Puyol. and I thought, "This...this is football."
They are not pythons, but lions.

Wilbur

Banned
Funny, because televised sports exist solely for an entertainment purpose. This isn't some anime where sports teams save the world.

Yeah because the teams really give a fuck. Honestly it fucks me off when Xavi et al preach about winning the right way. He almost left Barca because he wasn't getting playing time a few years before; it's a bonus his teams play good football. He wants to win, as does everyone else. They don't give a fuck who is entertained

Hixx

amen to that.

Their scintillating possession football is a joy to behold and we all know possession is god in football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom