• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's glorious stuff, and by default, they should be guaranteed the victory. The Croats did not know the importance of the tiki, nor the taka. There was a moment around the 50th minute mark when Busquets passed to Puyol. and I thought, "This...this is football."
They are not pythons, but lions.

This is the truth!

Socreges

Banned
I've always found Spain entertaining. They keep possession and move the ball extremely well. Their touches are often beautiful. They normally get plenty of scoring opportunities, too. And when they do score, it's often the product of some great ball movement and team play.

The problem is that, because they hold the ball so well and take it back so quickly, they don't allow the other team to be very entertaining. So if you're not cheering for Spain (and again, who cheers for the best?), you're going to be frustrated throughout.

Once the hate dies down, that's when we'll know that Spain has fallen from grace. So I hope the bitter tears flow for many years to come.

Clydefrog

Spain versus Ukraine then?

untitled-15mqjvk.gif

Fry

ibhERjrtqltgGf.jpg

I think Denmark deserved to go through, at least much more than Portugal. They did much better than everyone probably thought they would, and even though Holland flopped, they were technically the worst team of the group, but almost made it.

Russia and Croatia deserved to go, too. I know this is silly discussion but it's true. I was loving the EUROs until the third phase started.

FootballFan

It's glorious stuff, and by default, they should be guaranteed the victory. The Croats did not know the importance of the tiki, nor the taka. There was a moment around the 50th minute mark when Busquets passed to Puyol. and I thought, "This...this is football."

Damn, that must have been a dreadful pass to go all the way to the stands. Disappointed in Busquets if true.

feel

I think we can all agree that by Spain going through, at the end of the day, football has won. Justice is served, by their sumptuous style of play. It's pure poetry and they deserve to go through purely for that.

jboaiIt6eSzbeE.jpg

Cuth

Maybe it's because I'm the only one who hasn't seen the match, but I'm the only one who'd like to know what happened in the couple seconds before what's showed in this gif?
Why is the Croatian player's left arm over Busquets' shoulder?

I can imagine two situations:
1. the attacker wasn't touching Busquets at all, his arm was horizontal or high. Busquets grabbed the arm, pulled it down and then happens what's showed in the gif. This would be a really evident gesture and an obvious penalty.
2. the attacker jumped putting his arm over Busquets' shoulder, then happens what's showed in the gif. This situation seems more like a foul by the attacker followed by a foul by Busquets.

Socreges

Banned
Maybe it's because I'm the only one who hasn't seen the match, but I'm the only one who'd like to know what happened in the couple seconds before what's showed in this gif?

1. the attacker wasn't touching Busquets at all, his arm was horizontal or high. Busquets grabbed the arm, pulled it down and then happens what's showed in the gif. This would be a really evident gesture and an obvious penalty.
2. the attacker jumped putting his arm over Busquets' shoulder, then happens what's showed in the gif. This situation seems more like a foul by the attacker followed by a foul by Busquets.
More this, but still a foul against Busquets. Croat put his arm in front of Busquets neck to block him and fight for position and kind of jumped 'on top of' Busquets. Knowing he was in trouble, Busquets grabbed the guy's arm/sleeve to pull him down/away from the ball.

keit4

Banned
I didn't watch the match, but you just know these things. The best team won, Spain deserved the victory, and soon, the tournament.

You repeat the same joke over and over again. We got the point, you can't understand the glory of the pure football (TM) :D

sopcast2012-06-1822-4qqf1i.gif

sopcast2012-06-1822-434dk6.gif

I won't have any better material until tomorrow.

Funny, because televised sports exist solely for an entertainment purpose. This isn't some anime where sports teams are playing to save the world.

They're a team playing in a sporting competition. The object of which is to win the competition. That's why (to keep with my Spain point) del Bosque was hired. To win. Not to ensure that people had a good time watching them play.

How it looks on the telly isn't (or shouldn't) be the primary concern of the teams or players themselves.

WE'RE THROUGH!

SO glad we got to shut up some loud-mouthed Croatians today. I can't believe people thought that 2-2 draw they were pulling for was even possible. Score two goals on fucking SPAIN? Get out of here! Now my Facebook is flooded with crying Croatians calling Italy a bunch of divers. Sucks doesn't it?

FORZA AZZURRI!!!

O9sd8.jpg

jtb

Banned
They're a team playing in a sporting competition. The object of which is to win the competition. That's why (to keep with my Spain point) del Bosque was hired. To win. Not to ensure that people had a good time watching them play.

How it looks on the telly isn't (or shouldn't) be the primary concern of the teams or players themselves.

that's not necessarily true (though I agree). I mean, just look at Cruyff going on and on about how it was better to lose World Cup 74 because it defined their team, it gave them an identity. Sometimes it is about giving your team an identity (Spain = tiki taka, Italy = cattenacio, holland = total football, etc.)... though I am of the opinion that winning should always come first. Still, can't deny that national pride can be just as closely aligned to the way you play as much as how well you do in the tournament.

Visceir

I'm happy for Mario, he got to finally prove himself. I'm rather impressed by his playstyle, truly a force to be reconed with yet still very technical. Definitely a great addition to the Italian team.

Tomorrow Rooney gets to play, I'm rather curious how it affects the rest of the team. Predicting england will win 3 - 1. I can see France and Sweden ending in a 1 - 1 draw, that or France will score the winning goal on the second half.

Arnie

Weighing in.

Spanish football isn't entertaining to neutrals or the opposition because they retain possession so well and starve the opposing team. The opposing team is played out of the game, and when they do finally get the ball their team is so fatigued and out of position that it usually results in sloppy play. It turns what should be, and what people want to see, a two sided duel into an exercise in patience where one team is slowly being strangled to death.

Spanish football can be exhilarating to watch as a neutral, when played at its absolute peak, but tonight Spain were woefully off the boil and played poorly. I judge a team based on how well they execute their desired system and tonight Spain failed to do that, with the exception being a flash of individual brilliance from Cesc.

As for those moaning about the goal, it was onside. Pure and simple. Trying to debate that makes you look petty and bitter.

Fry

Weighing in.

Spanish football isn't entertaining to neutrals or the opposition because they retain possession so well and starve the opposing team. The opposing team is played out of the game, and when they do finally get the ball their team is so fatigued and out of position that it usually results in sloppy play. It turns what should be, and what people want to see, a two sided duel into an exercise in patience where one team is slowly being strangled to death.

Spanish football can be exhilarating to watch as a neutral, when played at its absolute peak, but tonight Spain were woefully off the boil and played poorly. I judge a team based on how well they execute their desired system and tonight Spain failed to do that, with the exception being a flash of individual brilliance from Cesc.

As for those moaning about the goal, it was onside. Pure and simple. Trying to debate that makes you look petty and bitter.

You should weigh in more. Perfectly put...

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Cassano: 'A new Euros for Italy'

Good, because that one sucked!

that's not necessarily true (though I agree). I mean, just look at Cruyff going on and on about how it was better to lose World Cup 74 because it defined their team, it gave them an identity. Sometimes it is about giving your team an identity (Spain = tiki taka, Italy = cattenacio, holland = total football, etc.)... though I am of the opinion that winning should always come first. Still, can't deny that national pride can be just as closely aligned to the way you play as much as how well you do in the tournament.
That's not an identity, that's a stereotype! C'mon guys, Italy were entertaining to watch in the past three games!

xbhaskarx

sopcast2012-06-1822-4qqf1i.gif

sopcast2012-06-1822-434dk6.gif

I won't have any better material until tomorrow.

Instead of all this goal line technology bullshit that will be relevant once every 100 games, they need to add an additional referee to the side of each goal, specifically to monitor plays in the box, whether it's physical play during set pieces like this one or possible penalties / dives. Actually not instead of, in addition to. But that is a far bigger issue imo.

Cuth

More this, but still a foul against Busquets. Croat put his arm in front of Busquets neck to block him and fight for position and kind of jumped 'on top of' Busquets. Knowing he was in trouble, Busquets grabbed the guy's arm/sleeve to pull him down/away from the ball.
Thank you both.

I'm not so sure about the penalty, because what happens (showed good enough by the first gif and also well described by Socreges) is usually enough to give the foul in favor of the defending team. The foul by Busquets is just a split second after, but after anyway.

It seems the referee chose to play the "decision of the undecided": "both players used their arms, I'll just act like nothing happened". Bad decision IMHO, it's too evident that some kind of foul happened, the referee should have taken a decision, one way or the other.

EDIT: now that I'm looking again at the new gifs added by Phantast2k, they're still not really clear, because the one with the better point of view starts when Busquets already has grabbed the attacker's arm. My opinion is based more on the description by Socreges.

Arnie

Teams should have three appeals to call on video technology. Play on until the ball stops, then ask to look at it. It'll stop dick heads calling for every single thing, because now they can prove it, and secondly it'll stop people from pulling shirts and gaming the system because now they can be easily caught.

Clegg

Cassano: 'A new Euros for Italy'

Good, because that one sucked!

That's not an identity, that's a stereotype! C'mon guys, Italy were entertaining to watch in the past three games!

Italy didn't play particularly well against us imo.

I'd be slightly worried about the 15 minute meltdown your team had from the 70th to 85th minute. I think a better team than Ireland could have scored a couple against Italy.

RJT

Teams should have three appeals to call on video technology. Play on until the ball stops, then ask to look at it. It'll stop dick heads calling for every single thing, because now they can prove it, and secondly it'll stop people from pulling shirts and gaming the system because now they can be easily caught.

I agree with this. Also, people requiring assistance on the field should be out for 5 minutes after that.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

I'd be slightly worried about the 15 minute meltdown your team had from the 70th to 85th minute. I think a better team than Ireland could have scored a couple against Italy.

Yeah I'm not saying they're playing well as much as playing good football.

Italy won't go far, it's very clear.

Smeghead

It's either play 3-5-2 with some nice football and don't end up winning, or play 4-3-1-2 playing shit in the process but come away with the win. Granted we were playing the poorest team in the Euro but still.

Wonder which formation it will be for the next game.

leroidys

Because human error is part of the fun? I dont want soccer to be some clinical sport where every call has to be examined like in American Football, it doesnt fit the sport and can make it a lot less accessible for smaller markets. What happens in the pitch stays in the pitch. Move on.

This isnt coming because my team "gets the calls" either. I had the same opinion in 2002 When we got jobbed against Korea in the quarter finals (if you think the calls in this game were bad ...)

Yeah, refereeing in this game has been an order of magnitude better than 2006 or 2002. I think all of us can agree on that.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
It's either play 3-5-2 with some nice football and don't end up winning, or play 4-3-1-2 playing shit in the process but come away with the win. Granted we were playing the poorest team in the Euro but still.

Wonder which formation it will be for the next game.

Chiellini's injury all but confirm a 4-3-1-2 again :(

leroidys

I find all of this Spain hate amusing. I'll treat them the same way I treat counter-attacking "hoof it and hope" teams. A team shouldn't be held down when it gets results by playing to its strengths. Spain's a team made out of small, technically creative players. They're a possession team, that's what they do. Why should a team be penalized for playing their brand of football? Same thing goes for teams that spend most of the game absorbing pressure in their own end and then break on the counter. Teams should be playing for wins, not to entertain us.

As for tomorrow, I'm thinking England and France should both take care of business. Ukraine is a dangerous team playing in front of their home supporters, they'll give England all they can handle. But England with Rooney back will be too much for them.

I couldn't disagree more. I pity you if you believe that team sports have any sort of meaning beyond entertainment.

It will abate diving too, which will be the greatest benefit. But three is excessive. How many game changing calls go against teams per match? Start with two and you only lose one if your challenge is unsuccessful.

F#A#Oo

Banned

Italy has these meltdowns in almost every single game...

It's a sickness and a very traditional Italian characteristic...lol

Onside.

Spain miss David Villa, he was vital to their attack. So much passing without any real penetration and shots on goal which Villa was able to do. He's been their best player along with Xavi and Iniesta over the last few years and 1 of the main reasons they won the tournaments.

Thank you for the gifs. People here don't know how the offside rule works, WTF.

Socreges

Banned
Weighing in.

Hmmm. ;)

Otherwise agreed 100%. Would also like to point out that there normally aren't any pure neutrals when it comes to football fans. People normally take a side and rarely favour the champions/favourites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom