• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf |OT| We'll miss you Hot Shots Golf

Does it at least look better in 4k or is the improvement not worth it?

It looks great in 4k. But I play on the 60 fps mode.

60 fps isn't janky, its just that certain animations are tied to 30fps, so it can look weird at times. But the overall game running at 60fps feels great.

Hopefully that animation bug is patched.

Setzer

I tried enabling HDR but it just seems to wash out the colors and everything looks dull and not as bright compared to when I have it off....and I'm playing it on a Samsung KS8000 set.

Dinosur

Dunno what the deal is but HDR mode looked like muddy dog shit until I turned dynamic contrast to high. Then it's eye melting good lookin'. Never had to do that with any other game or movie.

I tried enabling HDR but it just seems to wash out the colors and everything looks dull and not as bright compared to when I have it off....and I'm playing it on a Samsung KS8000 set.

Ok good I'm not crazy, I'm on a JS9000. Try dynamic contrast.

If you point straight ahead and use the left d pad the ball will curve to the right, in particular towards the end of its path. Since you normall use it to twist around obstacles you would move the aim left from dead on, then use left d pad to end up at the ideal spot.

So left on dpad to slice and right in dpad to hook?

I wish the putting was more difficult. When I miss hit a putt and press X in the red I should not be sinking the putt. I actually want to be penalized.

It looks great in 4k. But I play on the 60 fps mode.

60 fps isn't janky, its just that certain animations are tied to 30fps, so it can look weird at times. But the overall game running at 60fps feels great.

Hopefully that animation bug is patched.

I'm absolutely seeing the framerate dropping below 60fps on both certain tee shots and in the overworld. That bugs me more than the weird stuttering dialog bubbles.

purbeast

Pro 1080 user here.

Not a die-hard 60fps person, but I switched it over, just to see how it was and it's really bad. Unlocked or not I just couldn't take it when the option is there.

The text bubbles are wonky in 60fps mode, but during gameplay it's barely noticeable, or I got used to it. Lesser of two evils for sure in my opinion.

I just don't play many other PS4 games right now. I was playing SF5, or at least trying, but Capcom really doesn't want people to play it online. Looks like it would be like $200 to upgrade to the Pro after trade in, and also looks like right now it's not worth it.

Thanks (you and the other guys) for the info.

Setzer

I wish the putting was more difficult. When I miss hit a putt and press X in the red I should not be sinking the putt. I actually want to be penalized.

Hmmm I notice that if its a short put, like within 10ft or so that hitting in the red really won't affect it but if I'm trying to sink a put that's like 20ft out or more and I hit in the red then I'll always miss....even if the green is flat.

I like it better that its actually 3 presses now for putting rather than only 2 presses in the previous games.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
What's your guy's impression on this game? How's the content? I might wait for this to go on sale.

It's fucking amazing man. I say buy this shit right now. I've never really played anything like it. It's beautiful, has a nintendo like charm to it, simple to play but hard to master golfing mechanics, an absolutely amazing character creator, it's only $39.99. Just to name a few The only real gripe I have is that you have to play a ton of single player to unlock the courses, and the two DLC courses can be frowned upon but I bought one of them and pre-ordered the game so I have the other one and they are good courses, but I can see how having two DLC courses right at launch would annoy some people. You still have 5 18 hole courses though without the DLC

Just buy it bruh

Setzer

What's your guy's impression on this game? How's the content? I might wait for this to go on sale.

If you're a fan of the series or enjoy golf games like Mario Golf then you'll love this. I don't think content wise you're getting as much as you did in previous titles, like Hot Shots Fore(PS2) but for the price its pretty decent. One thing that is better than previous titles is that you're creating your own golfer and leveling him/her up and things like control, impact, spin and power improve as you play. I prefer this over just unlocking preset characters.

BSpot

Ok guys. I am super confused here.

I am Golfer Level 5. I have beat at least 3 (if not 4) tournaments. I have beaten 2 challengers. Totomi and Gabriel (the kid).

I see no indication of Carting OR Fishing anywhere. What the heck, dude?

Hmmm I notice that if its a short put, like within 10ft or so that hitting in the red really won't affect it but if I'm trying to sink a put that's like 20ft out or more and I hit in the red then I'll always miss....even if the green is flat.

I like it better that its actually 3 presses now for putting rather than only 2 presses in the previous games.
Guess I just miss a ton of ten footers in real life and expected it here. Lol

Setzer

Dunno what the deal is but HDR mode looked like muddy dog shit until I turned dynamic contrast to high. Then it's eye melting good lookin'. Never had to do that with any other game or movie.

Ok good I'm not crazy, I'm on a JS9000. Try dynamic contrast.

Yep, that's what I did too. Switched it to Game Mode and set dynamic contrast to high. Looks much better. Another game I had this very same issue with HDR was MLB The Show...it looked dull as well with HDR enabled. Only game I've played that didn't look like crap was Final Fantasy XV, that actually looked better with HDR enabled.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?

I am Golfer Level 5. I have beat at least 3 (if not 4) tournaments. I have beaten 2 challengers. Totomi and Gabriel (the kid).

You have to rank up by playing single player, I was confused at first too, but it's a very slow process. I'm thinking you're still at rank 1. Once you beat the third VS player, you';ll be rank 2. I unlocked carting at rank 3 I believe. I just unlocked swimming too because I played some secret character after I got my 50th birdie.

Griss

Unlocked the third course. Considering there are only 5 courses, I'm a bit surprised how easy this one still is. Or maybe I just have way too much EG experience at this stage to be challenged by a mid-level course.

Shot -8 on my very first run through the back 9, was hoping for a stiffer challenge.

Were you streaming on Twitch last night? Wearing a red hat and a black shirt? Do you have a long beard? If so, I was watching you for a few hours and I saw that shot!

No it wasn't me, and I'm absolutely amazed that that shot might have happened out there twice! I thought it was a one-in-a-million thing to be honest.

Loving the game so far.

There are a couple modes that I would love to see added in via future patches.

The mini games from previous versions were a blast to play. Both the mini golf games, and the 9 hole par 3 courses with crazy obstacles, or difficult shots were really fun to play.

I also enjoyed the practice mode which would let you set the wind speed/direction and redo shots to help you learn the various courses.

One question. Is there an option to turn off the display for EXP gain after every shot? They really slow down the flow of the game when i'm trying to speed through a course.

No it wasn't me, and I'm absolutely amazed that that shot might have happened out there twice! I thought it was a one-in-a-million thing to be honest.

Crazy. It was literally the exact same scenario--character, course, everything--that you described. I guess shot outcomes are pre-programmed then? Also, a few holes later she sunk a 50-foot putt that had no business going in lol.

BSpot

You have to rank up by playing single player, I was confused at first too, but it's a very slow process. I'm thinking you're still at rank 1. Once you beat the third VS player, you';ll be rank 2. I unlocked carting at rank 3 I believe. I just unlocked swimming too because I played some secret character after I got my 50th birdie.

Ok so the confusion lays in the fact that it is RANK, not GOLF LEVEL. Ok. Weird. Sorry...

I just don't play many other PS4 games right now. I was playing SF5, or at least trying, but Capcom really doesn't want people to play it online. Looks like it would be like $200 to upgrade to the Pro after trade in, and also looks like right now it's not worth it.

Thanks (you and the other guys) for the info.

Just to clarify. 60 is way better even unlocked and with bugs. Ha!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Game needs a serious QoL pass... it's too damn slow atm.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
For some reason my 4 and 5 irons always hook or slice even with perfect impact off the tee. I've missed the entire green on a Par 3 tee shot, hitting perfect impact.

Awful bug. I'll record and post the next one... lol forgot I could easily do that with share.

MizzouRah

For some reason my 4 and 5 irons always hook or slice even with perfect impact off the tee. I've missed the entire green on a Par 3 tee shot, hitting perfect impact.

Awful bug. I'll record and post the next one... lol forgot I could easily do that with share.

Club sway is impacted by the contact stat -- look in the bottom left of the screen to see where your club impacted after your shot. Seemingly it's RNG until you level up your club's contact stat, even with perfect impact.

MizzouRah

What's the blue squiggly line that sits above the shot gauge? Looks like it could be some rudimentary terrain indicator?

Exactly -- side profile of the elevation changes. Primarily useful in putting. For full shots I'd rely more on the elevation change indicator near the reticle.

purbeast

There is rank and levels. It's kind of confusing. You level up pretty quick. I haven't done it yet, but from what I hear you have to beat 3 vs challengers (not hidden ones either, the progressive ones) to rank up. So you have to beat the first 6 to get to rank 3, which is I think where the cart unlocks.

neilyadig

Club sway is impacted by the contact stat -- look in the bottom left of the screen to see where your club impacted after your shot. Seemingly it's RNG until you level up your club's contact stat, even with perfect impact.

How do you start to level up the contact stat?

Griss

Regarding the grind, Clap Hanz has really gotten progression backwards here, which makes little sense as they used to get it right.

The idea should be:
-Introduce course 1. Play a round / tournament or two to move on.
-Introduce course 2. Play a round / tournament or two etc.
-Introduce course 1's long tees.
-Introduce course 3.
-Introduce course 2's long tees.
-Introduce course 4.
-Introduce course 3's long tees.
-Introduce course 1's championship tees.
-Introduce course 2's championship tees.
-Introduce course 4's long tees.
-Introduce course 5.
-Introduce course 3's championship tees.
-Introduce course 5's long tees.
and so on from there.

Different tees can make a course feel utterly different, but you want that spaced out with the addition of new courses to keep it fresh. In past games they totally nailed this, and they did so partially because you'd be unlocking mid-level characters who could deal with longer tees rather than just levelling up.

Instead I arrived at course 3 having to play off regular tees despite hitting the ball 330 yards with my driver. And since I can't 'de-level', the regular and even long tees are already worthless for me, but I'm only now coming to them on this course, and it'll be the same for course 4 and 5. The balance is all wrong due to the grinding systems.

I should have already seen all the courses at least once by now, and by now I should only be playing long tees with some championship tees mixed in.

Setzer

This has happened to me on a couple Par 3 shots and it just baffled me. I thought it was just me overcompensating for the wind but its good to hear others experiencing this as well so maybe it is a bug.

Glas

There's a item in the floor as soon i reached rank 3, but i can't find it, (IT's not the same as Rank 1)

By the way what are gems for?

sn00zer

How does levellibg affect characters in multi? If i playa ton and want to play against my siblings will i not only be a better player but also have better stats?

How many hours did that take you? I might be off what the end credits really mean though.

The streamer I'm watching just got these credits. He defeated
Adam
but I wasn't paying attention when the match was being set up so I don't know any other details. After the credits he unlocked
Special Rank

Paskil

I put a good chunk of time into World Invitational on Vita but it never occurred to me how strange it is that this series doesn't include a driving range to practice shots.

MizzouRah

How do you start to level up the contact stat?

Ironically, you need to have close approach shots from distances at the far end of the clubs range. This is especially difficult to do with low contact stat, but as you play you'll work the clubs up, eventually. Would've been nice if they built the contact stat leveling up around perfect impacts rather than proximity to the hole, as this is negatively impacted by the poor club stats and relatively out of the player's control.

EDIT: I MEAN CONTROL STAT -- NOT CONTACT

Setzer

How does levellibg affect characters in multi? If i playa ton and want to play against my siblings will i not only be a better player but also have better stats?

Yes. I played a friend this morning and he's higher ranked and unlocked more balls and clubs than I have and had a serious advantage over me. Not sure if I can do something to change this in the settings when I create a match.

Heel

Are you setting your backlight to 20 for HDR? Same TV, looks fine to me.

Is there a straight up training mode like there used to be? Taking and replaying as many shots as you want on a course? I love to practice and mess around in that.

Is daily rival a random group of 10 that I'm matched up with for just one day and we can try and out do each other's score?
If so I love it. I'm not ever cracking top ten out of 6,000 people.

Also anyone else just lose your timing for a period of time? For the last hour I can't get perfect impact for the life of me when normally I'm decent at it.

So, I just went online for the first time and I miraculously got my first hole in one while just randomly running around the course doing holes. I'm currently ranked 2nd for best score of the day for that specific hole...Besides a little statue besides the hole, do I get anything for this?

Also, what's the point of doing 9 hole challenges or really any of the holes in online mode? Is there anything to gain besides experience/running around and finding items?

Top Bottom