• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf |OT| We'll miss you Hot Shots Golf

Sorry if this has been answered already, but why isn't this called hot shots anymore?

The servers are open up for the whole world this time. I guess it makes sense to keep it all the same name instead of america being the odd one out.

It's called NEW everybody's golf in Japan. So it's like a reboot i guess?

lindseybp

Me calculating approach shots tonight:

giphy.gif

LOL love it!

When an online match ends, is there no way to view the people you just played with? If I had a good match I might want to add some people as friends or do a rematch. But it doesn't seem you can do any of that. The match ends and people are just gone forever.

dano1

A Sheep
I almost shit myself when I started the game post update and it said something like "save data is not supported by this version of the game." Why would they word it like that!? What did they mean, anyway?

It was saying it wouldn't work with the old version once you updated All is good.

purbeast

No, I've played Hot Shots series a bunch, I do understand how it works. I usually hold the button, but since I'm not getting consistency, I've tried tapping. I'm sometimes getting the REVERSE to happen for the same inputs, which is what's frustrating.

E.g. if I hold up, then down - I get super backspin, but half the time I'll get super topspin! Why? I'm still low levels in the game, but I use the driver off the tee to see colors (since the lie couldn't possibly affect the shot and not allow topspin). Is blue/orange color being used differently in this game, possibly to indicate if you hit a PI or not?

It seems like others are also struggling with spin too. Now I'm starting to wonder if orange and blue even mean anthing towards if it's backspin or topspin, that makes no sense though.

I can't tell if PI has any affect on if the color is orange or blue, and I'm relating blue to backspin and orange to topspin (from previous HS games).

Well that is weird. I've played a few matches online and am rank 4 and have never had that happen to me.

N° 2048

I almost shit myself when I started the game post update and it said something like "save data is not supported by this version of the game." Why would they word it like that!? What did they mean, anyway?

It says:
Application has been updated.
Data saved in this version cannot be used with prior versions of the game.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Griss

I just beat the game, and wow... sorry for the caps but I am BEYOND FUCKING PISSED.

When you beat the game and ascend to Rank 7, the game suddenly springs the entire pay-to-win structure at its core onto you suddenly. I can't even fucking believe it. It's like winning a prize at the fair and when you leave a clown jumps out from a bush and beats you with a hammer.

So you know those clubs you've been torturously levelling up, that won't even be halfway levelled by the time you beat the game? Yeah, fuck those clubs. You get a second set when you beat the game, and the way you level them up is with gems or tickets - both of which cost money. (You do not receive nearly enough gems from free roam to do this effectively at all, I think those max at 5 per day.)

One ticket or 10 gems gets you two levels. That's what I got for 10 gems. And one ticket costs 8 euros. Let's do some maths:

8 euros = 10 tickets = 20 levels
Current max levels of a normal set: 25 (distance) +15 (control) +15 (spin) +10 (back door) = 65
Therefore it'd cost 32 euro to get your custom set up to where you could be from levelling, but fortunately enough (for Clap Hanz) since your clubs are only half levelled by now it's damn tempting. You'll certainly be behind people who pay for a LONG time.

But wait, there's much more. You can level custom clubs ABOVE what you can normally level the standard set. The top distance is 300 yards for normal, but custom clubs can hit about 366. Working it out at about 4 yards per level (in distance), it looks like max custom level distance is about 40. So if they're adding 15 lvls to power, let's assume they're adding a similar amount to control and spin as well (10 lvls each), and let's be kind and say none for backdoor.
Then 40 (distance) +25 (control) +25 (spin) +10 (backdoor) = 100
That would require 50 tickets at 8 euros for 10 tickets.
8 euros *5 = 40 euros.

You know that guy who got the Condor? The world first? Yeah, he probably paid 40 dollars for a set of clubs to do that. Wow, what an achievement. You know those people setting -15 scores on nine hole courses? They probably paid a boatload for their clubs.

This is fucking horseshit in a 40 dollar game, and I swear to god if I could ask for a refund now I would. I cannot BELIEVE they hid this shit behind the end credits, behind that awful shitty grind they called a single player mode. The whole point of this golf is equal competition! Where your own skill determines your score!

What a crock of shit. I'll see you all back in The Golf Club 2. Sorry for the super-negative post, but I'm furious.

I just beat the game, and wow... sorry for the caps but I am BEYOND FUCKING PISSED.

When you beat the game and ascend to Rank 7, the game suddenly springs the entire pay-to-win structure at its core onto you suddenly. I can't even fucking believe it. It's like winning a prize at the fair and when you leave a clown jumps out from a bush and beats you with a hammer.

So you know those clubs you've been torturously levelling up, that won't even be halfway levelled by the time you beat the game? Yeah, fuck those clubs. You get a second set when you beat the game, and the way you level them up is with gems or tickets - both of which cost money. (You do not receive nearly enough gems from free roam to do this effectively at all, I think those max at 5 per day.)

One ticket or 10 gems gets you two levels. That's what I got for 10 gems. And one ticket costs 8 euros. Let's do some maths:

Current max levels of a normal set: 25 (distance) +15 (control) +15 (spin) +10 (back door) = 65
Therefore it'd cost 32 euro to get your custom set up to where you could be from levelling, but fortunately enough (for Clap Hanz) since your clubs are only half levelled by now it's damn tempting. You'll certainly be behind people who pay for a LONG time.

But wait, there's much more. You can level custom clubs ABOVE what you can normally level the standard set. The top distance is 300 yards for normal, but custom clubs can hit about 366. Working it out at about 4 yards per level (in distance), it looks like max custom level distance is about 40. So if they're adding 15 lvls to power, let's assume they're adding a similar amount to control and spin as well (10 lvls each), and let's be kind and say none for backdoor.
8 euros *5 = 40 euros.

You know that guy who got the Condor? The world first? Yeah, he probably paid 40 dollars for a set of clubs to do that. Wow, what an achievement. You know those people setting -15 scores on nine hole courses? They probably paid a boatload for their clubs.

This is fucking horseshit in a 40 dollar game, and I swear to god if I could ask for a refund now I would. I cannot BELIEVE they hid this shit behind the end credits, behind that awful shitty grind they called a single player mode. The whole point of this golf is equal competition! Where your own skill determines your score!

What a crock of shit. I'll see you all back in The Golf Club 2. Sorry for the super-negative post, but I'm furious.

Wow, that's really shitty. I don't see myself hitting the end anytime soon, but it sucks that online isn't really going to be an even playing field

Get'sMad

8 euros *5 = 40 euros.

woof that shit with the clubs sucks bad and I'm close to done with the game now.....

I was already planning to throw them another 10 bones for those 2 DLC courses because I didn't pre-order wanted some more to play when I'm done but now I don't know....

they should offer some sort of mode where everyone can be competing on a more level playing field equipment wise online or something.

Ostinatto

8 euros *5 = 40 euros.

There is no reason to be mad, i see no reason to buy the tickets to upgrade your clubs to max level, the game is fun the way it is.

" So you know those clubs you've been torturously levelling up "

You dont need to worry about how the clubs level up, just play the game the best you can and the clubs will level up in no time, if you find a torture playing singleplayer tournaments, maybe you dont like the gameplay of the game .

Buying tickets is like a shortcut to unlock all the weapons in a Battlefield or Call of Duty game, just play the game and you will get the same things without paying anything, what's the hurry?.

8 euros *5 = 40 euros.

I saw the "Custom Club Upgrade" in the store and thought something was up, that and the gems.

Personally doesn't bother me, but yeah that's pretty fucked up. Kinda dampens the fun of trying to hit a high score in some modes.

I hope they handle tournaments like they did in previous games, there were a ton of restricted clubs tournaments.

purbeast

I personally don't care about the whole "pay to win" stuff as long as you can unlock it through playing. I mean time is money. Some people would rather pay money than spend hours grinding out. Some would rather grind it out because they enjoy it.

Griss

There is no reason to be mad, i see no reason to buy the tickets to upgrade your clubs to max level, the game is fun the way it is.

" So you know those clubs you've been torturously levelling up "

You dont need to worry about how the clubs level up, just play the game the best you can and the clubs will level up in no time, if you find a torture playing singleplayer tournaments, maybe you dont like the gameplay of the game .

Buying tickets is like a shortcut to unlock all the weapons in a Battlefield or Call of Duty game, just play the game and you will get the same things without paying anything, what's the hurry?.

It's not a 'hurry', I want to be on a level playing field with everyone else. I already hated the levelling system for making that not happen, but to find out that the whole thing was implemented just to do this pay-2-win bullshit? Are you really okay with pay-to-win? Really?

And it's not like a shortcut to unlock all the weapons in Battlefield because all the weapons there are balanced (or supposed to be) and if you keep playing you can eventually unlock them all.

Here, it's a linear progression in how good your clubs are and the top levels are absolutely walled off to anyone who doesn't pay. If you can't see how that's unacceptable, we're on entirely different pages regarding decent game design practices.

I dislike levelling systems on their own, I hate grinding levels, and I utterly despise microtransactions and pay-to-win. One of my all-time favourite series has fallen prey to all of these things. It's a disaster.

I personally don't care about the whole "pay to win" stuff as long as you can unlock it through playing. I mean time is money. Some people would rather pay money than spend hours grinding out. Some would rather grind it out because they enjoy it.

I suppose if you grind your 5 gems per day it would only take you 100 days? Yeah, nah, not acceptable. These are mobile industry practices.

8 euros *5 = 40 euros.

I knew something was up when I saw people getting -15 on a 9 hole course. That explains it.

I have until the first of October to return this game for a full refund. I'll be waiting to see if tournaments level the playing field through club restrictions.

Hhahaha. I almost lost my beer

I'm going to put aside my anger for just a few small moments to say that this is incredible.

Okay, angry again.
Haha thanks.

I hear you on that behind-the-scene pay2win stuff. I'll probably never get that far to Rank 7. I imagine they must level the playing field when the online tournament comes, right? Everybody uses the default set of clubs with no upgrade? Otherwise, no way it would be fair.

But I guess Injustice 2 let players keep their upgrades in multiplayer also...

purbeast

I suppose if you grind your 5 gems per day it would only take you 100 days? Yeah, nah, not acceptable. These are mobile industry practices.

Well yeah that is dumb and I agree that it kinda ruins the game if those can be used in the official tournaments that eventually start up. I did not realize it was to that extent.

I feared that this was turning into Tiger Woods golf once I saw how players level up and basically everyone will be the same with stats maxed out. I just hope it doesn't ruin the game in the long run. I can see how it could. The fact that these scores are showing up in the daily rankings and stuff means they count towards official matches, which is a bad sign.

All that said, I'm having a great time with the game for now and hope I can continue to do so.

I just beat the game, and wow... sorry for the caps but I am BEYOND FUCKING PISSED..

How many hours did you take to beat the game?

After beating it, you're not interested in playing with friends or improving your records?

It seems to me that for the price, its cheap entertainment. Unless the only point is to be top of a global leaderboard? which is rarely implemented well anyway in games with no pay to win because of hacks, obsessives, and alien skilled people.

8 euros *5 = 40 euros.

That really sucks. Personally, I'll probably be done with the game by the time I hit rank 7, aside from just playing local with friends, so it won't affect me very much but that's bs for those who wanted to get more into it and compete online.

Codeblew

You can easily farm 30-40 gems a day, more if you have a lot of time and that is your only focus. Just go to every online course and find the hole with coins. You will find 2-3 for each course. You also can get them for winning rank 7 matches and as a reward for the "Lucky" bonus. I have gotten about 80 since beating the game on Wednesday. You need 110 to fully level your club. I am curious to know how long it takes for it to need repaired.

Wow, what a feckin disaster regarding the online mode. I'm probably done with the game after finishing single player campaign and just play local multi from time to time..

Having that kind of shitty pay to win practice certainly soured me on the game.

Griss

You can easily farm 30-40 gems a day. Just go to every online course and find the hole with coins. You will find 2-3 for each course. You also can get them for winning rank 7 matches and as a reward for the "Lucky" bonus. I have gotten about 80 since beating the game on Wednesday. You need 110 to fully level your club. I am curious to know how long it takes for it to need repaired.

Really? Well shit, that's better. I was under the impression that it was only the bonus course that had them. I haven't done much open course stuff outside of playing the 'bonus course' every day.

But ultimately this just reduces the grind rather than removing it. I still can't stand what they've done here. I mean, EG6 was pretty much the perfect game (until they added the DLC clubs there too, of course - but at least there was no grinding).

EDIT: Repair? You mean the clubs break and they want you to keep spending in perpetuity? Oh my lol

Ostinatto

It's not a 'hurry', I want to be on a level playing field with everyone else. I already hated the levelling system for making that not happen, but to find out that the whole thing was implemented just to do this pay-2-win bullshit? Are you really okay with pay-to-win? Really?

And it's not like a shortcut to unlock all the weapons in Battlefield because all the weapons there are balanced (or supposed to be) and if you keep playing you can eventually unlock them all.

Here, it's a linear progression in how good your clubs are and the top levels are absolutely walled off to anyone who doesn't pay. If you can't see how that's unacceptable, we're on entirely different pages regarding decent game design practices.

I dislike levelling systems on their own, I hate grinding levels, and I utterly despise microtransactions and pay-to-win. One of my all-time favourite series has fallen prey to all of these things. It's a disaster.

I understand you point, it would be ideal if anyone has the same clubs and balls,but why do you care if someone does a Condor Hole in One on the first day? why dont you play the game for a week and get the same clubs? is the game that terrible that you dont to play it?

You can have like 2-4 gems for winning tournaments on career mode after you unlock Special Rank, also you can collect gems that are laying around on online courses, ive collected more than 40 gems since the game is out, but i really dont care because i'm fine with the clubs i have.

I'm rank 7, level 15, i havent bought any tickets and i'm using the clubs from singleplayer career mode, and im having a blast, because the game has an extraordinary gameplay and game physics, that's what matters to me.

"absolutely walled off to anyone who doesn't pay" this is not correct.
You can have the same clubs of those players if you upgrade the clubs to max level with gems.

I understand you point of view when you watch the leaderboards and see people doing -20 runs on 9 hole courses, but really do you care about leaderboards that much? is that really a deal breaker for a $40 game?

The previous game had clubs that you could only buy on the PSN store, the lvl 5 clubs and balls, nobody remember those nowadays.

Codeblew

Really? Well shit, that's better. I was under the impression that it was only the bonus course that had them. I haven't done much open course stuff outside of playing the 'bonus course' every day.

But ultimately this just reduces the grind rather than removing it. I still can't stand what they've done here. I mean, EG6 was pretty much the perfect game (until they added the DLC clubs there too, of course - but at least there was no grinding).

EDIT: Repair? You mean the clubs break and they want you to keep spending in perpetuity? Oh my lol

Yeah on the surface it sounds bad but I am hoping you get enough gems through natural play that those mechanics don't really matter for maintaining 1 club. Time will tell.

Bebpo

Banned
Damn, the leveling seemed a problem for having an even playing field for online play, but now the P2W stuff sounds even worse. Just seems like somebody (aka Sony) forced them to fuck up their multiplayer, and then the SP is a super grind...some bad choices in this one.

wapplew

I think you can't "level up" custom club without paying.
Those are like red power club +6, it's club stat on top of your own level up stat. Max 10 of each stat.
Very pay to win.

Edit: Ok, it seems to be either upgrade 1 point with 10 gems or 1 ticket, not both. So...better run around looking for gem or go fishing.

Dragoshi1

Ah, I thought I was just not very good, good to know it was because there are P2W players in the lobbies I join.

Went -9, and somehow was in 7th. I'm good at sinking during an approach, but no matter the game, I can NOT sink a decent putt. Mario, Hot Shots, whatever, I suck at the putting.

No, I've played Hot Shots series a bunch, I do understand how it works. I usually hold the button, but since I'm not getting consistency, I've tried tapping. I'm sometimes getting the REVERSE to happen for the same inputs, which is what's frustrating.

E.g. if I hold up, then down - I get super backspin, but half the time I'll get super topspin! Why? I'm still low levels in the game, but I use the driver off the tee to see colors (since the lie couldn't possibly affect the shot and not allow topspin). Is blue/orange color being used differently in this game, possibly to indicate if you hit a PI or not?

It seems like others are also struggling with spin too. Now I'm starting to wonder if orange and blue even mean anthing towards if it's backspin or topspin, that makes no sense though.

I can't tell if PI has any affect on if the color is orange or blue, and I'm relating blue to backspin and orange to topspin (from previous HS games).

I don't remember any EG game using colour to denote the direction of the spin.
Super spin, in any direction, is blue. It could be a red/orange colour if you miss the PI and the spin isn't super, or you're using a power shot and the power flames take priority over the blue ones.

If you want to see the direction of the spin you can look at the impact spot on the ball in the bottom right of the screen.

Jimrpg

Man that sucks regarding the pay to win stuff. It's like pay to win for a fighting game.

I only play single player so it's not going to be too bad for me.

One thing that annoys me a lot is how things get missed in reviews, either it gets hidden by devs or reviewers don't play the game long enough to know about it. It's also happening more and more from reviewers too given they really only spend a certain amount of time before moving onto the next game. I don't mind it so much if they actually state how much of the game they play but most usually don't because they haven't even beaten the game.

bronk

Banned
Had an awesome eagle shot but I dont know how to save replays and cant find out how. Can someone help me?

Ostinatto

Had an awesome eagle shot but I dont know how to save replays and cant find out how. Can someone help me?

You have to do some quizes with the old man to unlock the recording camera.

Although, i think if the eagle was on an official course the game records the shot automatically. Press OPTION to open the menu, then DATA, and then VIDEOS to check you best shots.

surrogate

The driving distances in local multiplayer are ludicrous. A 404 yard 1W and still having standard impact is a joke, not to mention 22 power boosts per 18. Even on the low setting, 1W is getting 343 yards with standard impact, 300 with easy impact. In past games, anything approaching 300 yards would have had garbage tier impact. The whole new stats system is crap and leveling up the clubs is tedious at best.

bronk

Banned
You have to do some quizes with the old man to unlock the recording camera.

Although, i think if the eagle was on an official course the game records the shot automatically. Press OPTION to open the menu, then DATA, and then VIDEOS to check you best shots.
Thank you!

RodzTF

Absolute sham if, when graded tournaments launch, they don't include a "standard clubs" only lobby

They must anticipate the online will be popular for a while now with a larger audience and global servers

Let's hope they cater for the people who don't want to "pay to win"

Spy

The whole custom club system might be worse than people initially thought.

You can upgrade a club ten times and each time you upgrade it, there's a chance its abilities can be boosted more than normal. For one upgrade, it only boosted the stats of my club by 4y, another boosted them by 8y. It's sounding like you can potentially go beyond 40y for the max level, if you're lucky. There's an option to recycle your old clubs and it mentions when you recycle and soup them up again, they might end up better than they were in the first place. So does that mean recycling resets all of the stats to 0 and you have to pay gems to build it up again hoping you get that perfect roll?

My understanding is that after you pay 100 gems to max out a set of clubs, the minimum power can be boosted by as little as 40y and as much as 80y as much as 120y, potentially more.

Not only that but after extended use, clubs are in need of repair which you have to use gems or real currency to fix.

wapplew

You can upgrade a club ten times and each time you upgrade it, there's a chance its abilities can be boosted more than normal. For one upgrade, it only boosted the stats of my club by 4y, another boosted them by 8y. It's sounding like you can potentially go beyond 40y for the max level, if you're lucky. There's an option to recycle your old clubs and it mentions when you recycle and soup them up again, they might end up better than they were in the first place. So does that mean recycling resets all of the stats to 0 and you have to pay gems to build it up again hoping you get that perfect roll?

My understanding is that after you pay 100 gems to max out a set of clubs, the minimum power can be boosted by as little as 40y and as much as 80y, potentially more.

Not only that but after extended use, clubs are in need of repair which you have to use gems or real currency to fix.

Yup, custom club upgrade have chance to +2. I can see some whale test their luck to get +80y club.
Edit: I just got +3 with one upgrade...

Ostinatto

My understanding is that after you pay 100 gems to max out a set of clubs, the minimum power can be boosted by as little as 40y and as much as 80y, potentially more.

How many strokes can you have till the club is broken?

bobohoro

Yeah the game is really enjoyable because it is Everybody's Golf at its core, but the whole structure build around the gameplay is really disappointing. The only new feature that adds distinct value seems to be the character creator. I'm really missing the pre-set characters with pre-set abilities that added another layer of strategy to the game (like character selection in Mario Kart), the single player mode feels rather soulless and repetitive and the grind to be competitive for online seems almost akin to a p2w mobile game. I'm waiting for them to get graded tournaments up and running before my final judgement, but if the current status of the game is any indication, I'll probably not be playing this game for months like I used to with past entries in the series. It speaks volumes to the quality of the gameplay that I'm still having fun despite all the bullshit that would make me not even have a look at games otherwise, but I can see myself getting frustrated with the wasted potential down the road.

Top Bottom