• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf |OT| We'll miss you Hot Shots Golf

Got to special rank, hope to find some challenge there as the game was pretty easy, even on serious mode and especially the VS battles. That custom club dude could go home at hole 4. :p I think they should improve their AI, they really can fuck up things. Fantastic game though!

Will have to look into online, I also don't like the new truck that has arrived in home. It smells fishy.

RodzTF

Ok the algorithm or whatever that decides how you strike the ball needs patching IMMEDIATELY

It was never this severe in previous games. My 10+ control clubs are fully hooking/slicing when I'm still hitting the pink just outside of PI

It seems totally randomised and really unfair more often than not

Don't get me started on hooks/slices from perfect impact on the tee. Makes no sense if it's a PERFECT strike

Man this game is so much fun. Haven't played Hot Shots Golf since the PS1 days but it's so nice to just play a relaxing game of golf compared to other games.

Denzel

Ok the algorithm or whatever that decides how you strike the ball needs patching IMMEDIATELY

It was never this severe in previous games. My 10+ control clubs are fully hooking/slicing when I'm still hitting the pink just outside of PI

Don't get me started on hooks/slices from perfect impact on the tee. Makes no sense if it's a PERFECT strike

I agree. I have Grade 1 Pin Hole Clubs and even with PI the impact area is rarely down the middle. This is especially annoying with par 3 holes, I can never get close to the hole becausevof random hooks and slices.

I'm a huge fan of HSG, played nearly every one.

This one is a good game at it's core, like all the others. Not much innovation gameplay or graphics wise, so I'm not sure what took so long to get this out. But hey, I'm fine with more of the same.

But it is really starting to seem like they built this game for the sole purpose of cashing in on the micro transaction / mobile game mentality.

I don't even play that much online, but I would've enjoyed playing in the occasional tournament. Now that I know you can pay to get a huge advantage, it kinda takes the fun out of it.

Caffer

Neo Member
The servers are open up for the whole world this time. I guess it makes sense to keep it all the same name instead of america being the odd one out.

It's called NEW everybody's golf in Japan. So it's like a reboot i guess?
On ps4 under what s new it s called everybody s golf 7

Is online completely fucked right now? I choose my course and then it just locks up.

Same. Playing with friends has been an extremely shitty experience so far.

I can't join a friend who's an an online course either, it gives me an error message..; in japanese. Lovely.

wapplew

I really appreciate the beautiful maps claphand made especially beach and vortex valley. They just need to make more activities to make use of theses maps.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm done with this until they patch random-as-fuck impacts on perfect impacts. Wtf were they thinking. I've been waiting for this game for so long and this is what I get.

Get fucked.

surrogate

I'm done with this until they patch random-as-fuck impacts on perfect impacts. Wtf were they thinking. I've been waiting for this game for so long and this is what I get.

Get fucked.

I agree, hitting PI used to mean something, now a perfectly planned and executed shot may end up no better than a bunny. The initial excitement of having a new HSG/EG game has worn off and it has become apparent that the balance previous titles had is missing. Unless they patch in a classic mode with the old style stats where hitting long resulted in a penalty in other stats, my 19 year HSG career may be coming to a close.

Absolute sham if, when graded tournaments launch, they don't include a "standard clubs" only lobby

They must anticipate the online will be popular for a while now with a larger audience and global servers

Let's hope they cater for the people who don't want to "pay to win"

Yeah guess it hinges on this.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Started an open round and it had a notice about a 'lucky chance' ending in 20 minutes. Managed to squeeze in a quick round and won a t-shirt. Is there one of these each day and is it at a fixed time?

Related to that, when does 'Golf standard time' reset? So I can figure out when to pop online for my daily round

mrklaw

MrArseFace

How do you even get longer clubs to have better control? My 1W is on 12 power and all other stats are 0

N° 2048

So basically this game is P2W online? Real fucking shame, this could have been my main online game had it been even.

I'm enjoying Single Player and Local co-op with the GF.
Those modes aren't P2W right? I try to make sure the GFand I have the same equipment so we are even.

whippet

Neo Member
Do i need something to fo top or back spin? I have been trying holding up and then down and vice versa but nothing

You need a perfect impact for better results. Also, the blue burn trail is mostly dependent on the manner in which the ball lands. A top-down landing will usually trigger it

RodzTF

How do you even get longer clubs to have better control? My 1W is on 12 power and all other stats are 0

Get within 15ft of the hole when going for birdie or better

1w can do this on driveable par 4's or approach to par 5's

3/5w any sort of shot really, as long as for birdie or better

surrogate

You need to make good shots to the green with them just like every other club. Find an appropriate length long Par 3 or short Par 4 and and play it over and over using a wood until you control increases. It is stupid and completely contrary to the fundamentals of golf. Wait til you see how much "fun" it is going to be leveling up the backdoor of the woods.

N° 2048

You need to make good shots to the green with them just like every other club. Find an appropriate length long Par 3 or short Par 4 and and play it over and over using a wood until you control increases. It is stupid and completely contrary to the fundamentals of golf. Wait til you see how much "fun" it is going to be leveling up the backdoor of the woods.

Whoa...

Might check out Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational if this game becomes a grind or is it the same?

I can only laugh when I see people getting mad at a hotshots game and saying thing like "get fucked", "fuck you, so and so".

Get a life, Seriously lol.

Having a blast with the game so far. I've not noticed any big problems with my shots, like some people seem to be having, they seem to landing pretty much where I want them to (unless I mess up my timing) but I'm still having a ton of fun with it and for only £25, can't complain about much really, it's great fun.

njs15

for what it's worth, I seem to be holing out from around the green a lot more often when I sync a sidespin chip shot with whatever way the green is breaking than if I were to use a backspin or topspin shot.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Is the online open mode somewhere I can do that? Just run around doing single hole?

Got to rank 3 and unlocked my kart - tbh I don’t see the point unless there are races, although it might be helpful in turf war?

How many items are there in the home area at rank 3? Found another power shot which is the important one, but I couldn’t find anything else.

WoolyNinja

Is this on tee shots or on the fairway? If its hitting on the fairway are you taking the angle of the ground into consideration? (just throwing that out there as a possible cause for the ball going left or right unexpectedly)

Heel

For Best Buy orders still waiting for their DLC code, you may want to follow the link posted by their support on their forums here and request a correct code with a private message.

People are saying they're having success getting the correct code that way.

mauaus

You need a perfect impact for better results. Also, the blue burn trail is mostly dependent on the manner in which the ball lands. A top-down landing will usually trigger it
Can i use the dpad? Have got perfect a few times but never triggers it

RodzTF

Is this on tee shots or on the fairway? If its hitting on the fairway are you taking the angle of the ground into consideration? (just throwing that out there as a possible cause for the ball going left or right unexpectedly)

Happens on the tee too

For angled fairway shots I always adjust according to the slope, it's just way too unforgiving if you don't hit perfect impact across the board

Footos22

Can i use the dpad? Have got perfect a few times but never triggers it

You get back spin by using the dpad hold up as you select power then down as you select perfect impact. Vice versa for topspin and left to right for sidespin.

Hit the pin with super backspin and you get a homing shot straight back into the hole

mauaus

You get back spin by using the dpad hold up as you select power then down as you select perfect impact. Vice versa for topspin and left to right for sidespin.

Hit the pin with super backspin and you get a homing shot straight back into the hole
Having a real hard time doing it consistently, any video out there?

Denzel

Having a real hard time doing it consistently, any video out there?

If you want to practice I suggest going online and walking to any par 3 hole. Try hitting the ball with super backspin and if you miss the impact instantly quit the hole before your player runs to the green and you can attempt the hole again within 2-5 seconds

Man, this auto-impact battle is a load of stinking bullshit. Seriously, one of those baffling little game design decisions that makes me wish I could find someone who worked on this and yell at them.

Why, when I've already been playing for hours using the normal method, would I ever want to use auto-impact? Also, isn't the auto-impact system meant to make things easier? Then why the hell is it so shit? I'm beating the VS character by 4-5 strokes in regular play, but in the VS mode itself with auto-impact bullshit enabled I've lost twice to her. This sucks.

bobohoro

Yeah after reaching special rank today and unlocking the final course my opinion on the game soured even more.

Don't design a course full of pot bunkers without the option to use flop shots.

And I echo the sentiment that the control stat needs a fix, badly. Even with my 7I and control at level 13 I stray shots far and wide WITH Perfect Impact. That should never happen, ever. It gets especially annoying in tournaments with +1 Rough/Bunker rules, because you can hit a perfect shot and end up penalised thanks to total randomness.

And I had a total of 7 gems after finishing single player. You need 10 for a single level-up on custom clubs. Which break with use. And have to be recycled, to start the grind once more. The hell?

Even if they implement graded tournaments with a good option set and all the fun stuff, I can't see myself enjoying it for long with the current PI-randomness and cheap mobile game grind design.

Whoa...

Might check out Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational if this game becomes a grind or is it the same?

From my memory World Invitational is a vastly more polished and charming game, especially the single player mode. There is still the grind to unlock character abilities, but nothing as severe as in EG7.

N° 2048

From my memory World Invitational is a vastly more polished and charming game, especially the single player mode. There is still the grind to unlock character abilities, but nothing as severe as in EG7.

Good to know, I don't play competitive online so I'm going to do all the Single Player stuff and then check out World Invitational.

Shame because I wanted to try the online and take it a little seriously but fuck pay to win stuff.

Salaadin

I love this game. The customization and sense of progression feel better than previous games to me and I adore the golf mechanics. I can't say that im having the issues that others are having. This thread kind of bummed me out lol.

Griss

Yeah after reaching special rank today and unlocking the final course my opinion on the game soured even more.

Don't design a course full of pot bunkers without the option to use flop shots.

And I echo the sentiment that the control stat needs a fix, badly. Even with my 7I and control at level 13 I stray shots far and wide WITH Perfect Impact. That should never happen, ever. It gets especially annoying in tournaments with +1 Rough/Bunker rules, because you can hit a perfect shot and end up penalised thanks to total randomness.

And I had a total of 7 gems after finishing single player. You need 10 for a single level-up on custom clubs. Which break with use. And have to be recycled, to start the grind once more. The hell?

Even if they implement graded tournaments with a good option set and all the fun stuff, I can't see myself enjoying it for long with the current PI-randomness and cheap mobile game grind design.

I agree with everything you've said, absolutely.

Especially having played the final course a few times, it's a big disappointment. It's a bizarre mix of links fairways and bunkers with over-designed water features near the greens, and without the long beachside holes that makes links golf so fun. I don't really know what the fuck it's meant to be... link some kind of British seaside resort course or something, but such a course would never have the designed walls and water features you see here... And as you say, if you don't provide players tools for getting out of pot bunkers then what the hell are you putting them in for?

I'm still really enjoying walking the courses and seeing the layouts and memorising them in my mind, though. I do like the open course idea. My still-pretty-early thoughts on the courses would be:

Eagle City - Brilliant City course. One of the best in the series, and the best looking course with the best music in the game. Lots of good undulations on the landing areas that can move slightly misplayed tee balls into bunkers, and all the hazards and trees are very fairly placed. The city park setting is gorgeous and unique for the series. Love it, and honestly this one being the beta course probably made me over-hype the game.
Alpina Forest - Just a really bland course. Not alpine / snowy enough nor with interesting forest. Nice music though. Hard to remember a single hole despite playing it so many times.
Kanaloa Resort - Very solid beach course, though I preferred the one in EG6. Hole 18 is horseshit though and leaves a sour taste in the mouth. I also dislike hole 14 a lot.
Vortex Valley - Great course, strong runner-up to Eagle City. Great use of landing-zone slopes, changes in elevation, good use of water to ensure you control your approach onto the greens. Really, really like this course. The control stat disaster really hurts here though as a missed shot can easily richochet into a cachement area that's marked OB and that always feels like bullshit. It also looks great in 4k, and the train tracks and dam / lookout area are the best in the game to visit on foot.
Imperial Gardens - Addressed above. Feels like a strange gimmicky mix of ideas, and neither the music nor visuals elevates it.
Green C.C. - Very basic but also very enjoyable. In most EG games this would have been course 1 and Eagle City course 2, as this is considerably easier than Eagle City and more like a traditional opening course being a countryside parkland course. I wonder if that was originally the plan. The far better of the two DLC courses, but nowhere near as good as the similar Northern Fox course from EG6.
Balata G.C. - Ugly, boring and horrible music. Low-effort by Clap Hanz here. I need to play it more but I was NOT a fan on my first two plays here.

Overall it's not as good a group as EG6, but there's some great stuff.

hawk2025

I love this game. The customization and sense of progression feel better than previous games to me and I adore the golf mechanics. I can't say that im having the issues that others are having. This thread kind of bummed me out lol.

Seriously, I came here thinking "this game is like therapy, so relaxing and satisfying" and people are raging :O

Maybe it falls apart after a couple dozen hours, I suppose? It feels perfect right now.

MarcusB

Banned
Good to know, I don't play competitive online so I'm going to do all the Single Player stuff and then check out World Invitational.

Shame because I wanted to try the online and take it a little seriously but fuck pay to win stuff.

Thinking about buying the game, but will someone explain that Pay 2 Win online people are talking about. Thanks!

Seriously, I came here thinking "this game is like therapy, so relaxing and satisfying" and people are raging :O

Maybe it falls apart after a couple dozen hours, I suppose? It feels perfect right now.

Just curious, have you played a lot of Hot shots in the past? Because it seems to me the ones that are pissed are the veterans, due to the fact that they basically bastardized the already perfect gameplay for the sake of in-app purchases.

There's no reason for them randomize the accuracy of a perfect shot, other than to entice you to buy more accurate clubs/balls, IMO.

I just beat the game, and wow... sorry for the caps but I am BEYOND FUCKING PISSED.

When you beat the game and ascend to Rank 7, the game suddenly springs the entire pay-to-win structure at its core onto you suddenly. I can't even fucking believe it. It's like winning a prize at the fair and when you leave a clown jumps out from a bush and beats you with a hammer.

So you know those clubs you've been torturously levelling up, that won't even be halfway levelled by the time you beat the game? Yeah, fuck those clubs. You get a second set when you beat the game, and the way you level them up is with gems or tickets - both of which cost money. (You do not receive nearly enough gems from free roam to do this effectively at all, I think those max at 5 per day.)

One ticket or 10 gems gets you two levels. That's what I got for 10 gems. And one ticket costs 8 euros. Let's do some maths:

8 euros = 10 tickets = 20 levels
Current max levels of a normal set: 25 (distance) +15 (control) +15 (spin) +10 (back door) = 65
Therefore it'd cost 32 euro to get your custom set up to where you could be from levelling, but fortunately enough (for Clap Hanz) since your clubs are only half levelled by now it's damn tempting. You'll certainly be behind people who pay for a LONG time.

But wait, there's much more. You can level custom clubs ABOVE what you can normally level the standard set. The top distance is 300 yards for normal, but custom clubs can hit about 366. Working it out at about 4 yards per level (in distance), it looks like max custom level distance is about 40. So if they're adding 15 lvls to power, let's assume they're adding a similar amount to control and spin as well (10 lvls each), and let's be kind and say none for backdoor.
Then 40 (distance) +25 (control) +25 (spin) +10 (backdoor) = 100
That would require 50 tickets at 8 euros for 10 tickets.
8 euros *5 = 40 euros.

You know that guy who got the Condor? The world first? Yeah, he probably paid 40 dollars for a set of clubs to do that. Wow, what an achievement. You know those people setting -15 scores on nine hole courses? They probably paid a boatload for their clubs.

This is fucking horseshit in a 40 dollar game, and I swear to god if I could ask for a refund now I would. I cannot BELIEVE they hid this shit behind the end credits, behind that awful shitty grind they called a single player mode. The whole point of this golf is equal competition! Where your own skill determines your score!

What a crock of shit. I'll see you all back in The Golf Club 2. Sorry for the super-negative post, but I'm furious.
Not many posts on GAF have upset me(excluding Trump) as much as this one. I hate what I'm hearing and have backed off of playing the shit out of this game to level up my clubs to what I THOUGHT was max. Oh well I'll just have some fun in single player for now and hope something changes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What was the info around finding items on the online course? Been running around one today and the red flag icon said 4 items found but never changed when I picked up chips and gifts. Unless that was the hole number :p

All this talk of farming 10’s of gems per day and I can’t find any. Only rank 3 though

bobohoro

The beginning is strong, then there is the short lull in Rank 2 before unlocking the second course in Rank 3 and then the progression actually feels good and well paced. The game starts to show some cracks towards the end, when you gain less distance and start to recognize that the control stat is busted and upon reaching special rank the game delivers quite a few low blows.

At its core it is still Everybody's Golf, which is some of the finest gameplay you can find today. Which makes it so frustrating for lots of (especially but not only) veteran players that CH seemingly ditched the charme and even playing field approach for p2w and mobile grind design. Nothing is set in stone however, since we don't yet have graded tournaments online, but the signs are there and flash their neon lights of doom.

What was the info around finding items on the online course? Been running around one today and the red flag icon said 4 items found but never changed when I picked up chips and gifts. Unless that was the hole number :p

All this talk of farming 10's of gems per day and I can't find any. Only rank 3 though

4 is the hole number. The fastest way is to just play the daily 9 hole challenge, your character should pick up at least a coin on the way. Then you'll see the hole number and can just run a lap around it to pick up most items.

Top Bottom