• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf |OT| We'll miss you Hot Shots Golf

How bad is the PI stuff?

Can you completely jank the shot even though you get PI? Or is it just slightly off?

I have played all the other EGs on Vita, PSP and PS3 and don't remember this being an issue?

Honestly I never noticed, and I am level 12 rank 4
Haven't hit the grey mark yet and had the ball do anything weird: for example in light wind, deviate. Maybe people with calculators in their heads are annoyed that it is +/- 5 yards from their calc but for me whatever random factor is lost in my wind / elevation guessing mistakes.

How bad is the PI stuff?

Can you completely jank the shot even though you get PI? Or is it just slightly off?

I have played all the other EGs on Vita, PSP and PS3 and don't remember this being an issue?
It's a non issue. Depending on your club lvl you can even hit outside of the pink zone and still have if land in the general area. If you get PI it's always where you are aiming with high club lvl but you need to account for the wind and the grade of the ground

wapplew

It is not 10 times per stat. It is 10 times total (actually 11 because of bonus dude). Also you can get more than 20 a day because sometimes the gem on the ground gives you 2. If you have the DLC courses you can farm those also (at least the pre-order one you can). So really you only need 110 gems to max a club out. However you have to repair it every so often. I just had to do my first repair for 10 gems. If I had to guess, I played around 180 holes with them before needing repair. I did get some coins while playing those 180 holes because you can win them in rank 7 rewards and during the lucky rounds in online.

Oh, 10 times total? Not that op then.
What's the best stat to put on ? All 10 for power? I get it now, you have total of 10 upgrade to customize your own stat, it's a little like the old EG with character's stat.
Each time you upgrade have chance to +1~+3, that's where they get the whales.

njs15

So having just unlocked custom clubs and upgraded them once, I think there's some misunderstandings about them.

When you play with custom clubs, it's not like you have to level each stat again from 0 to 25 for power, etc. That's character progression.

What you're paying gems to upgrade is the "gear level," which you see in the club/ball select screen before a round.

For example, the grade 1 big air clubs have an effect of 8 power, 0 everything else. For me, the longest distance listed on the screen for grade 1 big air is 312 yards. After one power upgrade, my custom clubs are listed at 284 yards (and if I keep getting 4 yards per upgrade, I'd max out at 320).

You can apply 10 upgrades to custom clubs (or apparently 11 with a bonus), and the yardage gains you get for each upgrade can differ.

Jimrpg

Honestly I never noticed, and I am level 12 rank 4
Haven't hit the grey mark yet and had the ball do anything weird: for example in light wind, deviate. Maybe people with calculators in their heads are annoyed that it is +/- 5 yards from their calc but for me whatever random factor is lost in my wind / elevation guessing mistakes.

It's a non issue. Depending on your club lvl you can even hit outside of the pink zone and still have if land in the general area. If you get PI it's always where you are aiming with high club lvl but you need to account for the wind and the grade of the ground

Ah cool thanks. I'm not that hardcore, as long as it lands more or less in the vicinity of my expectations its good enough, thanks. :)

Just a tip that you are more likely to get "sway"--where the club strikes the ball further out to the left or right of the club head--if you use backspin. You can test this by using topspin vs backspin off the tee. A lot more sway with backspin.

Makes those tricky drives dangerous. But if you play it safe or go for the long roll with topspin, it's not so bad. The worst part really is when you're trying to make a pinpoint approach to the green with super backspin and you get PI, but the sway on the club ends up to the edge or beyond. Makes a big difference, and it's frustrating.

I do like a little more variability in the game, but they should tone down the sway a little. If they do that maybe they can make the low and medium winds have a little more effect. I'm at rank 4, and they seem rather inconsequential compared to club sway.

Get'sMad

Started doing some Turf War tonight...it's pretty fun just wish it didn't constantly always take awhile to get a match going and it often freezes at the end when 'calculating results'

I really just do wish their were a lot more types of online play to with randos on this thing in general though.

mike6467

Is there a way to practice a single hole?

The third course (hole 17) with the overpass running perpendicular to the fairway has completely screwed me over two tourney's in a row. Hoping I can play it repeatedly a few times to get a feel for what gets me over/under the stupid thing....

I'm really curious about this game but i'm a bit worried about difficulty. I've been watching quite a few streams and gameplay clips and it looks so easy. Even when they're missing the shots it seems to land in the middle of the green. Does the game get harder later on?

They solved that in The Golf Club 2 by adding pro clubs that are harder to use but in this game it seems to be the other way around, later clubs make it even easier?

If you can consistently shoot birdie after birdie i can't see this lasting very long..

Heel

I'm really curious about this game but i'm a bit worried about difficulty. I've been watching quite a few streams and gameplay clips and it looks so easy. Even when they're missing the shots it seems to land in the middle of the green. Does the game get harder later on?

They solved that in The Golf Club 2 by adding pro clubs that are harder to use but in this game it seems to be the other way around, later clubs make it even easier?

If you can consistently shoot birdie after birdie i can't see this lasting very long..

The first course is easy, gets more challenging.

The Golf Club 2 is much more of an investment to master, but I wouldn't say Everybody's Golf is brain dead simple. Simulation vs. arcade, different experiences.

There are risk/reward club sets in this game that are "high impact" with a smaller accuracy zone, but better stats.

dock

Bought this on a whim, but my first impressions are that it's a UX/UI nightmare intended for online play exclusively, which I won't be using at all.

Does anyone else hate the other people golfing in real time during tournaments? It really throws me off.

The only other game I've played in the series is the Vita game, which seems so much nicer in hindsight.

wapplew

This rare fish thing is a fraud! My fishing skill is maxed out and got none.
Either some specific rod/bait combination or have to cast at specific spot or it's too fucking rare.

Codeblew

Oh, 10 times total? Not that op then.
What's the best stat to put on ? All 10 for power? I get it now, you have total of 10 upgrade to customize your own stat, it's a little like the old EG with character's stat.
Each time you upgrade have chance to +1~+3, that's where they get the whales.

Mine has 8 power and 6 control I think. My next one will be all power. I don't think I will need more than 2 clubs. Also, I will probably not bother using them in easier single player tournaments so as to not wear them out needlessly.

Codeblew

So having just unlocked custom clubs and upgraded them once, I think there's some misunderstandings about them.

When you play with custom clubs, it's not like you have to level each stat again from 0 to 25 for power, etc. That's character progression.

What you're paying gems to upgrade is the "gear level," which you see in the club/ball select screen before a round.

For example, the grade 1 big air clubs have an effect of 8 power, 0 everything else. For me, the longest distance listed on the screen for grade 1 big air is 312 yards. After one power upgrade, my custom clubs are listed at 284 yards (and if I keep getting 4 yards per upgrade, I'd max out at 320).

You can apply 10 upgrades to custom clubs (or apparently 11 with a bonus), and the yardage gains you get for each upgrade can differ.

Also, you can sometimes get a +2 or +3 with each upgrade so you can slightly more than +11 total stats to allocate.

RodzTF

It's definitely an issue, and a common one judging by other players' experience. You hit PI on the tee and the ball slices/hooks and goes out of bounds? Not supposed to happen (high level player). Kills the fun and it happens more often than not.

If you want to supposedly totally negate this happening (I believe it's random anyway) then you need to grind your control stat on your woods mainly. This involves replaying select holes over and over until it's boosted to max. But even then I expect it to happen as it seems it's a random chance of mistrike.

MarcusB

Banned
That Pay 2 Win got me worried, but I'll buy the game all the same. The game itself seems to be great fun, and if some players have an advantage online, so what. In the end the better players (not me by the way :) ) will be the best regardless of the clubs.

505zoom

But even then I expect it to happen as it seems it's a random chance of mistrike.

It is. If you take a look at the ball/club graphic in the lower left corner of the screen just after impact, there is a dot that shows what the sway (push/pull) influence did. I just watched it go off the scale left after a non-spun regular shot, with a +12 control 8 iron, and PI.

Just to test I purposely hit a few bunny shots with a +4 control driver, dot was dead center on the last one. It definitely seems to be completely random. Shit needs a patch.

wapplew

That Pay 2 Win got me worried, but I'll buy the game all the same. The game itself seems to be great fun, and if some players have an advantage online, so what. In the end the better players (not me by the way :) ) will be the best regardless of the clubs.

It's not that bad.
You have your personal progression and custom club upgrade (can upgrade with real money) but only 10 times, which can achieve by earning in game currency for 5 days or less.

Ostinatto

Without buying tickets on PSN store, players can have a fully upgraded custom club too.

You can upgrade the club 10 times, every upgrade cost 10 Gems, thats 100 gems that you will have to farm to get your max level club.

You can have 1-4 gems everytime you play a 9H or a 18H round on special rank.
Or you can find gems on the online open courses, you can have 1 or 2 gems per course everyday, thats 12-24 gems daily, not counting the DLC course.
Or you can have gems by doing the fishing mini game (i haven't done this myself)

Once the club is fully upgraded, you can have the club forever, but it will break after 180 holes ,to repair the club, you will have to spend another 10 gems.

So 1 PSN Store ticket = 10 Gems
To fully upgrade the club you will need 10 tickets. thats $8.49.

Thats a shortcut IMO, to unlock the best club in the game, but people likes to call that P2W.

Also you need to level up your skills for every type of club in the game, You can't pay money to have this done, this is the big grind that we all have to do in the long run.

dock

This game is a mess. I'm playing offline (no PS+) and there are lots of pointless NPCs cluttering the place. I can't find any vs. characters after beating the first match.

Where is the golfing? I just wanna do a golf!

Ostinatto

This game is a mess. I'm playing offline (no PS+) and there are lots of pointless NPCs cluttering the place. I can't find any vs. characters after beating the first match.

Where is the golfing? I just wanna do a golf!

Doesn't work that way.

Keep leveling your rank to unlock VS characters.

Also you can unlock secret VS characters by doing some feats of strength goals , like doing 50 birdies on official rounds and so on.

DilWSTS

Ended up diving in as Kinda Funny keeps raving about it. 4 tourneys in..quite addictive tho im definitely going to need to look up how to do spin etc.

Gandalf

How do I unlock more power shots? I'm rank 2, level 7. I was told by the French lady I just beat in Vs. that to unlock more power shots you find someone in the home area? Anybody know where?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How do I unlock more power shots? I'm rank 2, level 7. I was told by the French lady I just beat in Vs. that to unlock more power shots you find someone in the home area? Anybody know where?

Various places. Look for a tiny sparkle. At rank 2 I think it’s near the steps to the tournament booth. At rank 3 it’s in the beach area.

Gandalf

Various places. Look for a tiny sparkle. At rank 2 I think it’s near the steps to the tournament booth. At rank 3 it’s in the beach area.

Hmm... Still can't find it. Thanks though.
Also "An item has appeared somewhere in the home area!" Keeps popping up. Is that a random location? Again, can't find any :)

Edit: Nevermind! Reloaded the game, and that sparkle was indeed by the stairs. Thanks again.

wapplew

That's alright but you really don't need to tap the direction button at the point of impact you can do it much easier by holding the button down before you press your x's

If you tap it on impact, you can perform superior shot with purple flame.

dock

Doesn't work that way.

Keep leveling your rank to unlock VS characters.

Also you can unlock secret VS characters by doing some feats of strength goals , like doing 50 birdies on official rounds and so on.
What can I do, and where do I go to make the golfing happen? I'm playing single player and finding the overworld very difficult to navigate. I just want options in a menu.

This morning my shot bar is chugging along and making it very hard to play. I tried restarting PS4 pro and it's still bad. Any suggestions?

MarcusB

Banned
Just played my first round, just in time before F1 Grand Prix :). First time I've played this series, and I really love it! :)

Grassy

Jesus Christ, the frame rate while it's raining

Yeah that's not normal, might be server issues or something. I played an online/open round earlier today on the Eagle City w/rain course and the game's framerate was running at ~10-15fps or so. However the framerate is fine playing a single player tournament match in the rain.

Jesus Christ, the frame rate while it's raining

Noticed that on the open course, but it's perfectly fine in single-player rounds. The frame rate would resolve itself when the rain temporarily stopped. I'm wondering if they fucked something up in the last update.

What can I do, and where do I go to make the golfing happen? I'm playing single player and finding the overworld very difficult to navigate. I just want options in a menu.

Did you just skip the introduction? There is a tourney desk in the main hub area, and the vs characters usually stand beside it.

Edit: If they aren't there, it means you haven't ranked upp enough. They are gone after you beat them btw.

surrogate

It's definitely an issue, and a common one judging by other players' experience. You hit PI on the tee and the ball slices/hooks and goes out of bounds? Not supposed to happen (high level player). Kills the fun and it happens more often than not.

If you want to supposedly totally negate this happening (I believe it's random anyway) then you need to grind your control stat on your woods mainly. This involves replaying select holes over and over until it's boosted to max. But even then I expect it to happen as it seems it's a random chance of mistrike.

If you select multiplayer, you can play with fully upgraded stats, but it still happens anyway. I find it ridiculous to have a 400+ yard 1W while still having standard impact. There was always a risk/reward factor for being a big hitter in previous versions that is absent in this game. It seems like they tried to compensate for this by adding the random miss hits, but it doesn't really work IMO.

Zemm

I think I've come to the conclusion that this game needs a huge patch for me to keep playing it. The grind and progression balance is just completely broke. The issues other people have brought up as well like perfect impacts not being so perfect, the p2w of some online stuff.

It's the least fun hot shots game I've played. I still have my vita and vita version so would rather just play that. That game shits all over this.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you select multiplayer, you can play with fully upgraded stats, but it still happens anyway. I find it ridiculous to have a 400+ yard 1W while still having standard impact. There was always a risk/reward factor for being a big hitter in previous versions that is absent in this game. It seems like they tried to compensate for this by adding the random miss hits, but it doesn't really work IMO.

I wonder if having really high power but low control is emphasising the issues with hook/slice on PI?

This breaking clubs stuff is funny to me.
I've been playing real golf for over 25 years and never broke a club.
Would be more realistic if "You lost your pitching wedge on the course" "Spend 10 gems to replace lost club?".

Top Bottom