• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf |OT| We'll miss you Hot Shots Golf

Koren

Agreed. The extra penalty for using spin sucks too.
Care to explain?

The more I read about this game, the more i think I'll pass on it. Would be the first since PS2 (I ever bought the modem for it back in the day, and bought a PS3 just for Minna 5).

sphinx

the piano man
another question GAF,

would you guys say being online is required to fully enjoy this game? I don't pay for PSN, I'd consider a month if I get really really hooked but I'd rather not hehe

bobohoro

It's a non issue. Depending on your club lvl you can even hit outside of the pink zone and still have if land in the general area. If you get PI it's always where you are aiming with high club lvl but you need to account for the wind and the grade of the ground

Total non-issue, yeah right.
Nice recent example. Final course long tees, a Par-3 with 225y length to an island green. No wind, took my 5W and aimed it at the middle of the green. Added backspin and hit PI. Went straight left into the water hazard.

Absolute bullshit.

Now you could argue I shouldn't have added backspin to make it less random. But I wanted the ball high to carry the hazard and stop on the green. In my situation it was the smart shot and executed flawlessly. Still ended wet. That should not happen and is a big step back from past games. And the frequency in which a random bad contact on PI screws you is ridiculous.

Care to explain?

The more I read about this game, the more i think I'll pass on it. Would be the first since PS2 (I ever bought the modem for it back in the day, and bought a PS3 just for Minna 5).

Seemingly, adding backspin to your shots makes them harder to control, leading to more frequent bad impacts. See the bottom left of your screen for your ball contact after taking a shot. It's dumb.

Meh, I hope this isn't a gamebreaking bug, already restarted the game.

Lost to the wrestler in special rank, now the digital banners "A VS character is here" are appearing but the character isn't there. :(

Azzawon

Anyone having trouble getting into Online Open Courses? Trying to get the Course Bonus on Eagle City Golf Club OUT but as soon as I select "Yes" to start the game nothing happens and I have to restart the game entirely.

Care to explain?

Don't listen to crazy fucks obsessing about how they can't beat it in a few days without tons of "grinding". Or claiming the game is broken because ethey don't get perfect shots every time.

Playing this with friends is the same as it always was, fun.

My TV is professionally calibrated. The game looks bad even on my Pro. It's not the image quality but the artstyle and the animations are bad.

If you use Just scan or whatever non-overscan mode your tv has, there's a noticeable black border around the entire image and it's annoying. Why would the devs intentionally handicap the most accurate display mode like this?

inner-G

Banned
I love the art style of this compared to stuff like Tiger/Rory/Golf Club

The characters and animations make it feel more fun too. The pace of gameplay is super fast which is good (single-player at least, haven't tried online.)

If you use Just scan or whatever non-overscan mode your tv has, there's a noticeable black border around the entire image and it's annoying. Why would the devs intentionally handicap the most accurate display mode like this?

Weird. I have an LG set with just scan on and it fills it like normal.

OS level setting maybe??

One thing the game certainly is not, is a technical marvel XD

Koren

Don't listen to crazy fucks obsessing about how they can't beat it in a few days without tons of "grinding". Or claiming the game is broken because ethey don't get perfect shots every time.
Sorry, but I disagree... The whole thing that make Minna interesting to me is the risk/reward balance. Using a stronger club mean a narrower sweat spot, but I expect the penalty linked to how far you are from the aim (it can perfectly be random, but the variance should be proportional to (distance to sweet spot / width of sweet spot))

I really think you shouldn't get a penalty for a perfect impact. Never. That's a deal breaker to me because it would simply kill the fun, and I've played far too many hundreds of hours in various Minna no Golf...

If you play casually, it's fine, but if you play to improve your score, you should be responsible for errors, not under the threat of RNG.

Edit: just to be clear, I don't care if you can't advance fast and there's grinding involved. All Minna no Golf are grind-fest. The only think that annoys me is how the game is enjoyable in the (very) long run. As far as I can tell, it isn't.

Total non-issue, yeah right.
Nice recent example. Final course long tees, a Par-3 with 225y length to an island green. No wind, took my 5W and aimed it at the middle of the green. Added backspin and hit PI. Went straight left into the water hazard.

Absolute bullshit.
I agree.

Seemingly, adding backspin to your shots makes them harder to control, leading to more frequent bad impacts. See the bottom left of your screen for your ball contact after taking a shot. It's dumb.
If I understand you well, if you hit perfect impact, you get more often random direction changes if you use spin?

I would be perfectly fine with harsher penalties is you use spin and DON'T hit PI, but if that's what you're talking about...

Jb

Was disappointed to see the Rank 3 course is a mirrored version of Eagle City, which I've been playing on for a while now.
Do the following ranks have the same [new course] -> [18 hole variant] - [mirrored variant] unlock structure?

RodzTF

I haven't seen one "crazy fuck" around here. Maybe if you actually took time to read people's experiences and gripes with the game you'd understand there are genuine issues with the gameplay systems

Idiot

N° 2048

Playing this with friends is the same as it always was, fun.

Fuck me for expecting Perfect Impact when I perfectly impact the Perfect Impact.

It's one thing to ignore some problems and have fun (having tons of fun with EG here despite flaws) but to make the issues non-issues is ridiculous.

Rainy

Banned
This game is like the perfect pick up and play game. I usually study for a bit, play one tournament, then go back to studying.

505zoom

This breaking clubs stuff is funny to me.
I've been playing real golf for over 25 years and never broke a club.
Would be more realistic if "You lost your pitching wedge on the course" "Spend 10 gems to replace lost club?".

Haha. "Left SW next to green. Some asshole didn't turn it in to proshop. 10 gems please."

Codeblew

Meh, I hope this isn't a gamebreaking bug, already restarted the game.

Lost to the wrestler in special rank, now the digital banners "A VS character is here" are appearing but the character isn't there. :(

You only get one chance to beat the special rank characters. I guess you have to wait until the next time they appear.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
those of you seeing this issue - do you all have really high level clubs? Because I’ve not seen any PI veer dramatically off course, but I’m only rank 3 so far. Power level 15 on my 1W.

Care to explain?

Others have explained but I wanted to chime in and say don't let it stop you from picking it up. Like you I have been playing the series since it's inception and only bought a PS3 because of this series.

It really is a lot of fun even with a few questionable design decisions. I will be playing this for years and hope they offer robust support moving forward.

Footos22

those of you seeing this issue - do you all have really high level clubs? Because I’ve not seen any PI veer dramatically off course, but I’m only rank 3 so far. Power level 15 on my 1W.

Same here. Perfect impact has always been perfect impact for me. I don't know what they are talking about. Power level 24 on my 1 wood

Jeels

Just got to rank 2. There's a lady by a cart that says I have to beat the examiner wearing the racing get-up in a challenge tournament. Where is this person?

The progression in unlocking courses is painfully slow, damn. Can't remember if it was like this in the past games or not (it's been too long). I don't care for online play so I'm worried upgrading stuff will be a pain. UI on the course is soooooooooooo cluttered. Even though I understand what all of it's for, it's still silly. Sure as hell feels like a game in this series, though! Not much substantive to complain about at this middleware price.

It's good that Sony still offers such variety in first-party games.

RodzTF

Really bizarre that Clap Hanz chose to include Green C.C. as a paid DLC course (was free with pre-orders)

Out of all the courses in EG history, I would not pick that one to remaster

It's dreadfully straight forward, no hazards and no scenery

To those who have it, how's the Balata course?

Yeah, I've just unlocked the final course and have had no issues whatsoever with PI

It's definitely an issue, and a common one judging by other players' experience. You hit PI on the tee and the ball slices/hooks and goes out of bounds? Not supposed to happen (high level player). Kills the fun and it happens more often than not.

If you want to supposedly totally negate this happening (I believe it's random anyway) then you need to grind your control stat on your woods mainly. This involves replaying select holes over and over until it's boosted to max. But even then I expect it to happen as it seems it's a random chance of mistrike.

I've never had it happen, sorry. Is it a hook/slice or more of a push/pull?

WoolyNinja

those of you seeing this issue - do you all have really high level clubs? Because I've not seen any PI veer dramatically off course, but I'm only rank 3 so far. Power level 15 on my 1W.

I'm with you - feels the same as past games to me. Its near right down the middle + wind effect.

505zoom

Same here. Perfect impact has always been perfect impact for me. I don't know what they are talking about. Power level 24 on my 1 wood

Look in the bottom left corner of the screen just after impact. There is a dot that appears briefly showing how much the shot was pushed or pulled. Doesn't matter whether you got perfect impact or not, the dot will just randomly be wherever. Hook/slice is still determined by how much you miss the impact timing, but push/pull is all about that random "sway" dot. I've seen perfect impact shots where the dot was off the scale right or left, which will start on a bad line right or left and then fly straight from there. I only have +4 control on the driver, but I've seen the same randomness with +12 control and up irons too.

After seeing on here that spin might be influencing it, I played a couple rounds watching it on every shot and didn't ever apply any spin. Looked just as random to me, so I don't think spin has anything to do with it.

It's not totally game breaking IMO, but definitely frustrating when you get to the tighter courses and hit a perfect shot only to see it randomly pulled way left into a water hazard or OB.

Ps4->Settings->Sound and Screen->Adjust Display Area.

The problem is you have your ps4 set to underscan the image.

Its not the devs fault.

I don't know why people aren't more familar with the ps4s settings. The first thing I do when I buy any kind of tech is to play around with the settings for like 10 minutes.

Man this game is so fun...first time I've played a hot shots game but glad I picked it up. Is there a way to practice when your close to the hole? Putting seems to be very hard I usually miss, do you have to get the perfect timing every hit to sink it?

Griss

Really bizarre that Clap Hanz chose to include Green C.C. as a paid DLC course (was free with pre-orders)

Out of all the courses in EG history, I would not pick that one to remaster

It's dreadfully straight forward, no hazards and no scenery

To those who have it, how's the Balata course?

Yes, they are two utterly bizarre courses chosen due to the 20th anniversary (or because they were super easy to do, you decide).

Green C.C. is an absolute masterpiece next to Balata G.C. Balata might be the worst course in the last decade of Everybody's Golf, and I include the PSP games in that.

I'll make a short video of some holes later this evening if you want to see what it's like before you buy. Unfortunately I'm about to play real golf in a few moments so it'll be a few hours. Yesterday I had three birdies in my round for only the second time ever so I'm eager to get back out there. One where I dropped the ball to within 5 feet on an island green. Felt so fucking good man...

EDIT: Nice day for golf :)

AKSFBVTh.jpg

Griss

I need to apologise for being so far wrong on the custom clubs issue. I just didn't understand them the first time I levelled up and the first time I used them, so what I stated ended up being misinformation which spread and is really shitty of me. Totally unintentional, I just misunderstood the game systems. Now - the p2w system I described IS there, but it's nowhere near the grind I said it was and it's nowhere near as expensive as I said it was. I still don't like it, but it's just not the disaster I thought and it's not going to ruin the game in the way I thought it would.

I do think the game should share some of the blame for not being perfectly clear about this, but ultimately it was my mistake and I apologise. This guy...

So having just unlocked custom clubs and upgraded them once, I think there's some misunderstandings about them.

When you play with custom clubs, it's not like you have to level each stat again from 0 to 25 for power, etc. That's character progression.

What you're paying gems to upgrade is the "gear level," which you see in the club/ball select screen before a round.

For example, the grade 1 big air clubs have an effect of 8 power, 0 everything else. For me, the longest distance listed on the screen for grade 1 big air is 312 yards. After one power upgrade, my custom clubs are listed at 284 yards (and if I keep getting 4 yards per upgrade, I'd max out at 320).

You can apply 10 upgrades to custom clubs (or apparently 11 with a bonus), and the yardage gains you get for each upgrade can differ.

...has it right. I had thought you were levelling up your clubs the whole time - but you were levelling up your character's skill with your clubs. This is where my fundamental misunderstanding came from. So when you get that new set at the end of the game, it's just another bonus set like 'Power Clubs etc'. And since the level ups are limited to 10, the grind is nowhere near as extreme as I said.

Without buying tickets on PSN store, players can have a fully upgraded custom club too.

You can upgrade the club 10 times, every upgrade cost 10 Gems, thats 100 gems that you will have to farm to get your max level club.

You can have 1-4 gems everytime you play a 9H or a 18H round on special rank.
Or you can find gems on the online open courses, you can have 1 or 2 gems per course everyday, thats 12-24 gems daily, not counting the DLC course.
Or you can have gems by doing the fishing mini game (i haven't done this myself)

Once the club is fully upgraded, you can have the club forever, but it will break after 180 holes ,to repair the club, you will have to spend another 10 gems.

So 1 PSN Store ticket = 10 Gems
To fully upgrade the club you will need 10 tickets. thats $8.49.

Thats a shortcut IMO, to unlock the best club in the game, but people likes to call that P2W.

Also you need to level up your skills for every type of club in the game, You can't pay money to have this done, this is the big grind that we all have to do in the long run.

This is also correct. I thought you were doing your entire character progression from the ground up. Apologies again for getting it wrong, I feel like a fool.

those of you seeing this issue - do you all have really high level clubs? Because I've not seen any PI veer dramatically off course, but I'm only rank 3 so far. Power level 15 on my 1W.

I think I just had the issue on a par 3. Have it recorded so I'll look at it again and hopefully I can get it uploaded tonight.

Koren

Others have explained but I wanted to chime in and say don't let it stop you from picking it up. Like you I have been playing the series since it's inception and only bought a PS3 because of this series.

It really is a lot of fun even with a few questionable design decisions. I will be playing this for years and hope they offer robust support moving forward.
Thanks... I'll think about it, but honestly, I'm not thrilled. Even the visual/lack of characters was a letdown to me, but I could have lived with that. The DLC was annoying (I loathe those, but at least it's not awful) so if the gameplay isn't perfect...

Honestly, I'd probably only pick it for online on home console... if randomness and dlc both plays a role in this, I'm reluctant to buy a PS4 and paying PSN just for this. I'll probably go on with Vita version.

But again, I'll think about it. I'm just disappointed now.

B00TE

So, weird issue today. Whenever I boot the game up I have to shut my controller off and turn it back on to do anything and if I access the friend menu, I can't do anything at all to the point where shutting the controller off and turning it back on again doesn't work either (Fast Edit: Okay, I have to do this same thing TWICE to get past the friend menu, once for the PS4 UI stuff then again when it moves back to the game, god dammit). I can still hit the home button during these times and the controller works normally everywhere else but this game. Worked fine last night, dunno what the deal is.

Edit 2: And now it's working just fine after swapping to another game for a few minutes. How bizarre.

Withnail

Is PS+ even needed for this game? I don't currently have a subscription but the game hasn't stopped me doing anything, including running around the online courses and posting scores on the leaderboards.

Maybe PS+ is only required for the online tournaments (whenever they get enabled)?

hort22

Is PS+ even needed for this game? I don't currently have a subscription but the game hasn't stopped me doing anything, including running around the online courses and posting scores on the leaderboards.

Maybe PS+ is only required for the online tournaments (whenever they get enabled)?

same for me except I haven't tried turf war...that work for you as well?

ps am I the only one that sees the round patch of grass around the hole...looks terrible...can a patch fix that?

RodzTF

Yes, they are two utterly bizarre courses chosen due to the 20th anniversary (or because they were super easy to do, you decide).

Green C.C. is an absolute masterpiece next to Balata G.C. Balata might be the worst course in the last decade of Everybody's Golf, and I include the PSP games in that.

I'll make a short video of some holes later this evening if you want to see what it's like before you buy. Unfortunately I'm about to play real golf in a few moments so it'll be a few hours. Yesterday I had three birdies in my round for only the second time ever so I'm eager to get back out there. One where I dropped the ball to within 5 feet on an island green. Felt so fucking good man...

Wow, when you put it like that haha!

I had no interest in paying £5.49~ for a single course anyway, but thanks for well and truly sealing my wallet indefinitely. Intrigued to see it, will see if there's some existing footage around

Top Bottom