• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf |OT| We'll miss you Hot Shots Golf

CLEEK

One thing the game certainly is not, is a technical marvel XD

Played my first online game while it was raining. Frame rate (on a Pro) goes to absolute shit, skipping frames like crazy. It's impressive that such a low tech, functional looking game runs so badly. You shouldn't need a Pro to have 60fps.

Kashiwaba

We need a thread for avatar designs, I've seen some nice designs for Android 18 and lupin on gamefaqs, we need more stuff like that.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
It's a non issue. Depending on your club lvl you can even hit outside of the pink zone and still have if land in the general area. If you get PI it's always where you are aiming with high club lvl but you need to account for the wind and the grade of the ground
Wow this post is a fucking lie. Malicious.

brerwolfe

Loving this game. My only previous experience was World Invitational but I'm enjoying this a lot more (and I played that game daily for over a year). I'm about 28% on my PI and haven't experienced any of the anomalies other posters are complaining about. This is a Hot Shots game through and through.

Love the look of the first course. Reminds me of Waialae Country Club in Honolulu.

Ostinatto

Got 5 gems from a single 9H round !!!

21272931_10159259146695402_5795011640200709174_o.jpg

I don't think the poor online course frame rate is related to the rain....

It's stopped raining now (refreshed the course about 90 mins ago) and it still runs like shit. Was prob the last patch that broke it.

The other online courses are fine but empty as nobody has unlocked them.

Griss

I don't think the poor online course frame rate is related to the rain....

It's stopped raining now (refreshed the course about 90 mins ago) and it still runs like shit. Was prob the last patch that broke it.

The other online courses are fine but empty as nobody has unlocked them.

Yeah, the grind is real. Yesterday I saw that 32,000 people entered the daily ranking in Eagle City (Out) and yet I was one of only 100 to enter the ranking for Imperial Gardens, lol.

MizzouRah

If a hole is uphill, what do I do? Even if I go full speed I can't get the ball to go uphill enough.

Take more club - swing harder - use backspin (with more power) to get more loft. Pay attention to your lie (icon in the bottom right). If the dots are moving toward you, you have an uphill lie and you'll need to take even more club.

seriously I want to see someone upload a clip of a perfect impact gone unexpectedly wrong from the tee.
Me too. I can't see hooks and slices happening with a PI. Maybe slight pushes or pulls but if you're expecting to land on a postage stamp from the tee box, I don't know what to say...

Griss

If a hole is uphill, what do I do? Even if I go full speed I can't get the ball to go uphill enough.

If this is about putting, I think I've cracked it. I very rarely take more than one putt and can sink them from 50 feet. So let's explain.

There are 4 putting bars, I think. The game selects what it thinks is the best one for you when you line up a putt but it's not always right.

Green - 10 foot at max length, each 'notch' on the top of the bar represents a foot.
Purple - 30 foot at max length, each 'notch' on the top of the bar represents 3 feet.
Blue - 60 foot at max length, each 'notch' on the top of the bar represents 6 feet.
Yellow 100(?) foot at max length, each 'notch' on the top of the bar represents 10(?) feet.

For every inch a putt is uphill, I think (and I may be wrong) you need to add 1 foot of distance to cover that inch. And if downhill, remove a foot of length per inch.

Therefore if you have a 5 foot putt that's three inches uphill, you need to hit it 9 feet. 5 feet to get it there, 3 feet to cover the slope, and 1 foot to make sure you go one foot past the hole (this is how all putts should be hit - 1 foot past the hole). That means you need to press the button 4 notches after the flag appears on the bar. (1 notch being 1 foot on the green bar)

If you have a 40 foot putt that's 0.6ft uphill, you need to hit it 47 feet. (40+6+1) That means you need one extra notch (and a little extra) past the flag on the blue bar. (1 notch being 6 feet on the green bar)

Where you run into trouble is, say, a 9 foot putt that's 2 inches uphill. The game will give you the green 10ft putting bar as you're within 10 feet, but that's not enough to reach the hole. You need to press square to change to the next putter bar (30 feet) and from there add one notch of distance past the flag (as one notch is 3 feet on the next bar).

For downhill putts the same applies. If you have a 15 foot putt that's 6 inches downhill, you can hit it two bars before the flag (as two notches represents 6 feet). Except that you still want the ball to go 1 foot past the hole, so add a bit extra (15-6+1 = 10 feet).

Honestly, since I figured this out (and frankly it's more like I remembered it from EG6 after playing a ton of rounds) I've been blitzing even the teeny cups. Shot -22 on Alpina Valley Long course with teeny cups today.

Just picked this up yesterday and it's the perfect companion game for when I need to take a break from KH 1.5 grinding. I love the RPG elements, fun gameplay and the japaneseness of it all.

I don't really mind the course grind and local multiplayer is good shit with the wife as well.

Overall for $50 CAD ($13.50 after trading in Uncharted LL), I am very satisfied.

Willenium

If this is about putting, I think I've cracked it. I very rarely take more than one putt and can sink them from 50 feet. So let's explain.

There are 4 putting bars, I think. The game selects what it thinks is the best one for you when you line up a putt but it's not always right.

Green - 10 foot at max length, each 'notch' on the top of the bar represents a foot.
Purple - 30 foot at max length, each 'notch' on the top of the bar represents 3 feet.
Blue - 60 foot at max length, each 'notch' on the top of the bar represents 6 feet.
Yellow 100(?) foot at max length, each 'notch' on the top of the bar represents 10(?) feet.

For every inch a putt is uphill, I think (and I may be wrong) you need to add 1 foot of distance to cover that inch. And if downhill, remove a foot of length per inch.

Therefore if you have a 5 foot putt that's three inches uphill, you need to hit it 9 feet. 5 feet to get it there, 3 feet to cover the slope, and 1 foot to make sure you go one foot past the hole (this is how all putts should be hit - 1 foot past the hole). That means you need to press the button 4 notches after the flag appears on the bar. (1 notch being 1 foot on the green bar)

If you have a 40 foot putt that's 0.6ft uphill, you need to hit it 47 feet. (40+6+1) That means you need one extra notch (and a little extra) past the flag on the blue bar. (1 notch being 6 feet on the green bar)

Where you run into trouble is, say, a 9 foot putt that's 2 inches uphill. The game will give you the green 10ft putting bar as you're within 10 feet, but that's not enough to reach the hole. You need to press square to change to the next putter bar (30 feet) and from there add one notch of distance past the flag (as one notch is 3 feet on the next bar).

For downhill putts the same applies. If you have a 15 foot putt that's 6 inches downhill, you can hit it two bars before the flag (as two notches represents 6 feet). Except that you still want the ball to go 1 foot past the hole, so add a bit extra (15-6+1 = 10 feet).

Honestly, since I figured this out (and frankly it's more like I remembered it from EG6 after playing a ton of rounds) I've been blitzing even the teeny cups. Shot -22 on Alpina Valley Long course with teeny cups today.

The putter lengths are usually 30-60-90, or have been in past HSG games. Other than that, this post is super helpful! Thank you!

If you use Just scan or whatever non-overscan mode your tv has, there's a noticeable black border around the entire image and it's annoying. Why would the devs intentionally handicap the most accurate display mode like this?

Go to Settings >> Sound and Screen >> Display Area Settings on PS4 and increase it to fill your screen. That will solve your problem.

Heel

So you only need 100 gems for the end game? Almost already there, so not sure where the grinding complaints are coming from (at least for this part of the game, haha).

There seems to be several gems to find on every 9-hole course. Those gem pickups can even give more than 1 gem.

So you only need 100 gems for the end game? Almost already there, so not sure where the grinding complaints are coming from (at least for this part of the game, haha).

There seems to be several gems to find on every 9-hole course. Those gem pickups can even give more than 1 gem.

I don't have the game yet, but from watching streams it appears that there's maybe seven different types of clubs, so wouldn't that mean 700 gems (10 upgrades per set X 7 sets)?

505zoom

Tried to read to current... what’s the solution for massive club sway on backspin and super backspin shots?

I'm probably shadowbanned so you most likely won't see this, but the solution is non-existent at this point. Sway is full RNG and there's no solution.

Gems are only for custom clubs.

Well like I said I haven't played the game, but I thought customs would be variations on the regular sets, like custom big air would be one set, and custom control would be another, and so would custom sand viper or whatever, etc.

I'm probably shadowbanned so you most likely won't see this, but the solution is non-existent at this point. Sway is full RNG and there's no solution.

What does shadowbanned mean and why would you be lol?

Heel

I don't have the game yet, but from watching streams it appears that there's maybe seven different types of clubs, so wouldn't that mean 700 gems (10 upgrades per set X 7 sets)?

Gems are only for custom clubs.

Well like I said I haven't played the game, but I thought customs would be variations on the regular sets, like custom big air would be one set, and custom control would be another, and so would custom sand viper or whatever, etc.

From what I'm gathering (don't have custom clubs yet), it's a single set of clubs that can be upgraded 10 times total (or 11 with some secret thing?) for 10 gems each time, and you can allocate how the upgrade points are distributed.

If I'm right about this, can you redistribute the points after setting them or do you have to reset the club and start over?

Ostinatto

This is my fully upgraded set of clubs.

21248349_10159259994070402_8469165596915348099_o.jpg

You can upgrade the clubs up to 11 times. so you will need 110 gems.

Steroyd

Tried to read to current... what’s the solution for massive club sway on backspin and super backspin shots?

Sidespin.

There's no outright solution to the sway itself when applying backspin, but you can mitigate the risk, by adding Sidespin as well and making a guesstimate on where the ball will land and where the carry takes you.

505zoom

What does shadowbanned mean and why would you be lol?

You replying means that I'm not, so thanks, haha. I put up a few replies to posts in here about the whole perfect impact push/pull thing and got zero replies so I thought I was maybe shadowbanned for wrongthink over in OT.

Ostinatto

Nice. Can the Effect stats be edited after you've set them? I'll probably go with all power too, but still curious.

There is a Recycle Club set option.

21366781_10159260019075402_694487769942844505_o.jpg

I'm not gonna touch that till i'm 100% sure what he's gonna do with the clubs, i'm not a man of faith.

OmegaDL50

Are we certain that the Perfect Impact issue isn't a bug and instead of just RNG?

If it does happen to be a bug, would there be a way to report this issue to Clap Hanz in the hopes an actual fix happens, being the case of the possibility that the Perfect Impact thing is something not working as intended.

Ostinatto

How the hell do i get gems? Im rank 4 and have 0 gems. What am i missing?

You can have 1-5 gems everytime you play a 9H or a 18H round on special rank.
Or you can find gems on the online open courses, you can have 1-3 gems per course everyday, thats 12-36 gems daily, not counting the DLC course.
Or you can have gems by doing the fishing mini game (i haven't done this myself)

Go left of the tourney desk. Far left of the 3 park entrances. Drive around on each course til you find coins. 2 gems should be there. Rinse and repeat all day every day.

You can have 1-5 gems everytime you play a 9H or a 18H round on special rank.
Or you can find gems on the online open courses, you can have 1-3 gems per course everyday, thats 12-36 gems daily, not counting the DLC course.
Or you can have gems by doing the fishing mini game (i haven't done this myself)

So i can find them just riding around with the cart on single player courses? Are they hard to see like the twinkling stuff in the grass at the home area ?

TFGB

Meh, I hope this isn't a gamebreaking bug, already restarted the game.

Lost to the wrestler in special rank, now the digital banners "A VS character is here" are appearing but the character isn't there. :(
This has happened to me.

I quit a Special Rank VS match, and I also have the banners stating that a VS character is here, but the stage is empty.

I've played other tournaments and gone online, restarted the game etc. but no joy.

That's wack. :/

cgwflWz.jpg

DrDamn

I only have +4 control on the driver, but I've seen the same randomness with +12 control and up irons too.

It could be that what is displayed bottom left is prior to sway reduction from your clubs. I've noticed it a little, but it's not had any major impact on a result.

Forced use of auto-impact for the match with Cindy lost me a couple of holes I should have won mind - auto-impact should be a bit more consistent than it is as I always saw it as the easy option for kids etc.

@TFGB

Well today the banners were gone and I've had a secret VS character appear after a tournament round so I guess it should fix itself. :p

Miker

This game's interface is a mess. So many different bubbles and fonts and plaques and what am I even looking at. Still, I can't stop playing it.

Some questions, though:

- What the hell is the "back door" stat?

- When selecting my club before starting a tournament, am I select a single club, or a set of clubs? If I pick, say, a new club instead of the vanilla club I've been using all this time, do I not get any of my bonuses that I've been leveling up on my vanilla 9 iron, etc?

- How do you read the scoreboard? What are the blue triangle, green bar, yellow circle? What are the small numbers that come up next to your stroke # when you hit triangle to toggle icons?

- What's this I hear about tapping a direction on the dpad to apply spin instead of just holding? Is it better? Is it only applicable if I get a perfect impact? Am I supposed to tap up/down/left/right on the dpad *and* hit X at the same time?

surrogate

This game's interface is a mess. So many different bubbles and fonts and plaques and what am I even looking at. Still, I can't stop playing it.

Some questions, though:

- What the hell is the "back door" stat?

- When selecting my club before starting a tournament, am I select a single club, or a set of clubs? If I pick, say, a new club instead of the vanilla club I've been using all this time, do I not get any of my bonuses that I've been leveling up on my vanilla 9 iron, etc?

- How do you read the scoreboard? What are the blue triangle, green bar, yellow circle? What are the small numbers that come up next to your stroke # when you hit triangle to toggle icons?

- What's this I hear about tapping a direction on the dpad to apply spin instead of just holding? Is it better? Is it only applicable if I get a perfect impact? Am I supposed to tap up/down/left/right on the dpad *and* hit X at the same time?

Back door improves the chance of the ball dropping in the hole when it hits the lip of the cup.

You are choosing a full set of clubs, and the leveling is tied to your character progression, not the club set.

Green bar = par, Yellow circle = birdie, Red bullseye = eagle, Red star = albatross, Blue triangle = bogey, Blue square = double bogey, Blue X = +3 or worse. The little numbers next to your score is the number of putts taken.

JWhalley

Neo Member
Not seen it mentioned in this thread, but regarding the "bug" about excessive sway for backspin shots, one of the Advanced Questions from the professor in game states:-

"If you use backspin, it''ll actually make the ball even more likely to go off-course. So if you start using backspin willy-nilly while you're trying to improve your control, you'll just end up missing the target."

Whilst it may still be a bug that it effects PI shots, this additional sway from backspin seems intended by the devs.... which I hate as I basically have to remove backspin from my game because it messes up my accuracy too much.

RodzTF

Not seen it mentioned in this thread, but regarding the "bug" about excessive sway for backspin shots, one of the Advanced Questions from the professor in game states:-

"If you use backspin, it''ll actually make the ball even more likely to go off-course. So if you start using backspin willy-nilly while you're trying to improve your control, you'll just end up missing the target."

Whilst it may still be a bug that it effects PI shots, this additional sway from backspin seems intended by the devs.... which I hate as I basically have to remove backspin from my game because it messes up my accuracy too much.

It's pretty counter-intuitive as I like to put super backspin on my iron approach shots to spin it back into the hole. Yet this requires pinpoint accuracy, and with the sway mechanic, I've got about a 10% chance of getting the ball where I actually aimed, even with PI

It's like they completely nerfed backspin for this game, it's a tad OTT and silly

Top Bottom