• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf |OT| We'll miss you Hot Shots Golf

Griss

Balata Country Club Front 9 is done, for anyone who wants to have a look before they pay $6.50 for it. Video is 1080p recorded using the PS4 Pros standard capture gallery.

I try to show the layout of the hole using the overhead camera on every hole so you get a true sense of what the course is about. And sadly it's not about very much. Not only that, but Green CC at least has very sloped greens at parts. Here the greens are almost uniformly flat.

Look at the trees copied pasted around the first tee. Look at them. This course is a disgrace.

Spacedeck

Neo Member
Discovered you can also let people play the courses even if they don't have them yet. I had a 18 hole match with a friend on Balata CC but he didn't own the DLC. I do and I hosted the match.

Another random little thing I discovered is that on a open course during a hole, you can press L3 and you can freely roam around. You can go back to address the ball when you want. Not sure if there is any limits on this though as I stayed close to the ball.

RodzTF

Balata Country Club Front 9 is done, for anyone who wants to have a look before they pay $6.50 for it. Video is 1080p recorded using the PS4 Pros standard capture gallery.

I try to show the layout of the hole using the overhead camera on every hole so you get a true sense of what the course is about. And sadly it's not about very much. Not only that, but Green CC at least has very sloped greens at parts. Here the greens are almost uniformly flat.

Look at the trees copied pasted around the first tee. Look at them. This course is a disgrace.

Oh wow. I actually have really fond memories of that course. Didn't realise it was the one from EG2, the game I spent a good chunk of my childhood playing! That music bringing back some serious nostalgia.

Still, wouldn't pay for it. Thanks for doing that Griss.

It makes me want to replay PGA on the megadrive/genesis.

Griss

Here's a demo of the perfect impact issue. Let me copy/paste my video description:

Here's a demonstration of the Perfect Impact issue some players are having with Everybody's Golf on the PS4. Aplogies for the terrible colours, I recorded in HDR by mistake but still want to show this issue despite the poor quality.

Here, you can see that I aim to the left of the pin to account for the wind. I get a perfect impact which should send the ball on a target line directly where I aimed before the wind catches it.

Instead, it heads directly at the flag (or perhaps a little right of it) and then the wind takes it further right.

The reason? Check out the club in the bottom left hand corner of the UI which appears at impact and then when the ball is finishing rolling. You can see the red dot on the clubface showing that my avatar did not hit the ball anywhere near the sweet spot, and in fact hit it in a spot where you expect exactly what happened to happen - for it to go shooting off to the right.

This is evidence that this isn't a placebo effect - it's actually happening due to an RNG system. For a 7-iron the difference in landing spots isn't huge, but could be the difference between a birdie or par. For a Driver or 3-wood, this could send a shot into the woods or even out of bounds. For a lot of people this is really spoiling the game.

Here's a demo of the perfect impact issue. Let me copy/paste my video description:

Here's a demonstration of the Perfect Impact issue some players are having with Everybody's Golf on the PS4. Aplogies for the terrible colours, I recorded in HDR by mistake but still want to show this issue despite the poor quality.

Here, you can see that I aim to the left of the pin to account for the wind. I get a perfect impact which should send the ball on a target line directly where I aimed before the wind catches it.

Instead, it heads directly at the flag (or perhaps a little right of it) and then the wind takes it further right.

The reason? Check out the club in the bottom left hand corner of the UI which appears at impact and then when the ball is finishing rolling. You can see the red dot on the clubface showing that my avatar did not hit the ball anywhere near the sweet spot, and in fact hit it in a spot where you expect exactly what happened to happen - for it to go shooting off to the right.

This is evidence that this isn't a placebo effect - it's actually happening due to an RNG system. For a lot of people this is really spoiling the game.
Yeah I hope they diminish it severely. I think they should make it go away completely when you get the control stat of any given club maxed out. Would still be annoying until then but doable.

Griss

Lmao @ the magnetic field around the hole on hole 4. That putt was wide!

What are you talking about? It was right in the centre of the cup I swear!

This does happen - again I think it's RNG but the cup will suck the ball in sometimes. If you leave a putt on the lip it can be very noticeable. There's a pause and then the cup just sucks the ball in. But this was extreme because my putt was at speed and really nowhere near the hole, lol.

Steiner

Banned
I am a little disappointed that I've poured in a few hours in single player and I've only ever played on Eagle City. Not a whole lot of variety at the beginning, huh...

bobohoro

Thanks for doing this. Was trying as well, but I'm somehow too dumb for youtube it seems.

The example in your video is actually really mild as well, but should be enough to show what is wrong with the way sway influences PI. It is frustrating when you line up a perfect shot, nail PI and the sway pulls/pushes it off line.

And because I saw someone post multiple times asking for the ??? fishes and I think never getting an answer: You have to beat the fisher-grandpa again as a revenge VS to unlock more bait for those.

Griss

Balata CC Back 9 is up.

Also, if you never saw my awesome "chip-in" from the beta... well, here it is.

Thanks for doing this. Was trying as well, but I'm somehow too dumb for youtube it seems.

The example in your video is actually really mild as well, but should be enough to show what is wrong with the way sway influences PI. It is frustrating when you line up a perfect shot, nail PI and the sway pulls/pushes it off line.

And because I saw someone post multiple times asking for the ??? fishes and I think never getting an answer: You have to beat the fisher-grandpa again as a revenge VS to unlock more bait for those.

I'd say it's a medium-level one, considering that it's only a 7-iron so it shouldn't go that far off-course. You're right that there are far, far worse though, and when they happen with woods the results can be terrible. I have never seen them cause a proper slice or hook, though - you just push or pull the ball, sometimes a whole lot. But not spin it like a slice or hook.

The important thing was that it shows the UI element on the bottom left that clearly ISN'T a perfect impact, which demonstrates what the problem is.

Gaol

Neo Member
Balata CC Back 9 is up.

Also, if you never saw my awesome "chip-in" from the beta... well, here it is.

I'd say it's a medium-level one, considering that it's only a 7-iron so it shouldn't go that far off-course. You're right that there are far, far worse though, and when they happen with woods the results can be terrible. I have never seen them cause a proper slice or hook, though - you just push or pull the ball, sometimes a whole lot. But not spin it like a slice or hook.

The important thing was that it shows the UI element on the bottom left that clearly ISN'T a perfect impact, which demonstrates what the problem is.

Is it a 'problem' though or a design choice? Maybe they want the control stat to have an effect even on perfect impact, so you might have to trade off power against control when designing custom clubs? I think we need to see what the sway is like on maxed out stats.

bluehat9

This is evidence that this isn't a placebo effect - it's actually happening due to an RNG system. For a 7-iron the difference in landing spots isn't huge, but could be the difference between a birdie or par. For a Driver or 3-wood, this could send a shot into the woods or even out of bounds. For a lot of people this is really spoiling the game.

So what do the pinhole clubs do? I tried them and was still getting crazy club contact. Quickly switched back to big air clubs because there's apparently no downside in this game? And no characters have natural draw/fades either? Lame.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So what do the pinhole clubs do? I tried them and was still getting crazy club contact. Quickly switched back to big air clubs because there's apparently no downside in this game? And no characters have natural draw/fades either? Lame.

Yeah I actually like the feel of the gameplay mechanics a lot in this iteration, but totally miss the unique characters with different attributes. the last hsg/mng on psp was probably the all-time best for this with clothes etc. all making a difference. surprised they didn't go this route as it's an obvious way to further integrate pay-to-play but then people would probably go even more apeshit haha

I noticed this on day one. I get why people are mad about it but personally I don't mind the RNG. Previous games punished you for not going with a full control build, so this seems like their way of pushing people away from that.

I wish you could give your golfers fade/draws though. I miss those insane sidespin shots.

I am a little disappointed that I've poured in a few hours in single player and I've only ever played on Eagle City. Not a whole lot of variety at the beginning, huh...

Press square on the tournament menu to activate "Serious mode" which gets you more money and experience. This was a lifesaver when I figured it out.

Is there a quick way to get a good overhead view of your shot on the course like in previous games? Right now I'm either forced to hold up on the dpad until I get to a decent height or press the touch pad and fidget with the where the camera is stationed until I can see my actual trajectory. I swear previous games simply had a one-button press to view your entire overhead trajectory.

Is there a quick way to get a good overhead view of your shot on the course like in previous games? Right now I'm either forced to hold up on the dpad until I get to a decent height or press the touch pad and fidget with the where the camera is stationed until I can see my actual trajectory. I swear previous games simply had a one-button press to view your entire overhead trajectory.

Touchpad!

Yeah I hope they diminish it severely. I think they should make it go away completely when you get the control stat of any given club maxed out. Would still be annoying until then but doable.
Yeah, looks like it's making the game unplayable. - 14 is really terrible and they should make the game easier to compensate for this. It was the difference of 2 ft? Let's see videos of all the hooks and slices being reported.

Steiner

Banned
I noticed this on day one. I get why people are mad about it but personally I don't mind the RNG. Previous games punished you for not going with a full control build, so this seems like their way of pushing people away from that.

I wish you could give your golfers fade/draws though. I miss those insane sidespin shots.

Press square on the tournament menu to activate "Serious mode" which gets you more money and experience. This was a lifesaver when I figured it out.

I dunno what serious mode does but I'll try it. On a round of 18 I'm scoring like 11 strokes under the number 2.

surrogate

Yeah, looks like it's making the game unplayable. - 14 is really terrible and they should make the game easier to compensate for this. It was the difference of 2 ft? Let's see videos of all the hooks and slices being reported.

It isn't unplayable, it is just stupid and annoying. If you hit a good clean shot, it should act like a good clean shot, not a miss hit. The game is too easy because of the ridiculously exaggerated power stat without any impact penalty.

Heel

It isn't unplayable, it is just stupid and annoying. If you hit a good clean shot, it should act like a good clean shot, not a miss hit. The game is too easy because of the ridiculously exaggerated power stat without any impact penalty.

Do you know if it acts the same if you use Pin Hole clubs? Maybe that is the penalty.

A slight push or pull isn't a misshit or a shank. I dont think there's a golfer in the world that expects the kind of accuracy you guys seem to be after. If it's a design choice, I think it works and I've yet to see it cause any hooks or slices. The game even shows you the area the ball will land in with a yellow box and it's very much in line with what I would expect when actually golfing.

Get'sMad

I hate fishing, terrible music and having to jam X sucks.

yeah fishing sucks...rewards don't seem like they're worth the time and effort for them. I was hoping there would be more to it when it was like an announced thing for this game. :/

don't get me wrong, warts and all, I like this game a lot...I just hope they actually address some of the issues people have with it and patch and improve appropriately.

surrogate

Do you know if it acts the same if you use Pin Hole clubs? Maybe that is the penalty.

I think it cuts it down a bit using pinhole clubs. In every previous game, having a 300+ yard setup would result in having no pink zone. Not hitting the line would be a bunny or turtle, now I can have a 400 yard 1 W with pink on both sides.

A slight push or pull isn't a misshit or a shank. I dont think there's a golfer in the world that expects the kind of accuracy you guys seem to be after. If it's a design choice, I think it works and I've yet to see it cause any hooks or slices. The game even shows you the area the ball will land in with a yellow box and it's very much in line with what I would expect when actually golfing.

The problem isn't that I expect it to be perfectly accurate, it is that there is no consistency. I should never get a better impact when hitting a bunny or turtle than a PI, yet it happens. The impact point should be near the center when hitting PI, a bit off center when hitting the pink, and even more toward the edge when hitting the red zone.

Heel

Well I'll never be able to do that again. -20 on 18 official teeny holes on Eagle City.

wtYaBE1.gif

Spacedeck

Neo Member
Piss I noticed when got my condor it was only a 0.1% trophy yikes @ needing 3

All I can say is keep at it! If you've done it once, you will eventually do it again! and again!

I'm probably scared to know how many countless hours it took me to get them all. The second one I aimed for took me around 3 or 4 hours of constant trying.

Once you get the method down, you have need to hit and hope it goes in.

xGBABSY.jpg

Bebpo

Banned
Not sure what the point of both DLC stages being easy lvl.1 difficulty. Do we really need three different flat open courses? Hope any further DLC is more challenging.

Top Bottom