• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2015 - The Fighting Game Tournament of the Year - July 17-19th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since there seem to be a lot of people interested in it in his thread, can someone try selling me on smash4 as a spectator sport? Haven't bothered watching much but wouldn't mind having another stream open tomorrow. What are the characters to watch?

shaowebb

This thread is going to explode tomorrow.

If they get that anime stream up it'll explode tonight for me. I wanna see some under exposed fighting game tech. I love seeing high level play from game's I'm unfamiliar with. Always all kinds of unexpected and exciting mechanics shown during those.

Dai101

Banned
Since there seem to be a lot of people interested in it in his thread, can someone try selling me on smash4 as a spectator sport? Haven't bothered watching much but wouldn't mind having another stream open tomorrow. What are the characters to watch?

Wrong thread.

I'm excited for this. Not as much as in past years, but maybe this will rekindle my fire. All that Cross tekken talk in the other thread kinda makes me wanna check out how the game is doing in its current state. Maybe I will check out the side tourney.

Mostly looking forward to more SFV news. That game is looking great.

Really wanted to go this year, thought I would finally be able to attend my first event but man life sucks. Heres hoping for next year... and money. Can't wait to veg out on fighting games all weekend.

Revven

Wrong thread.

Come on dude... do you have to be like that? -_-

It's attitudes like that that put people off from even being part of the FGC or even taking an interest in other games.

NormalFish said:

I can't really sell you on it other than: if you can appreciate a bit of a tug of war for the neutral to get a few hits in every couple of seconds before it returns back to neutral until either someone can capitalize on an edgeguard or they can get a hit in and lead it into a KO. Oh and there will be the occasional crazy custom move shenanigans going on which may or may not be hype for you. The game can be fast-paced but it can also be a little slow, it really depends on the match-up on-screen and the players playing. If you can appreciate the mental game in other fighting games, you might enjoy Smash 4.

The most common characters for the game are: Sheik, Diddy Kong, Luigi, Sonic, Captain Falcon, Mario, Fox, Yoshi, and then... I think from there it's dependent on the region which characters you see. Despite being the second (or best period, depending on who you talk to) best character RosaLuma (Rosalina & Luma) is not a very common character. And despite being hyped up as one of the best in the game, Pikachu is also not a very common character. However, you will see those two from time to time and with customs on they might be more prominent.

Speaking of custom moves being on, you will also be likely to see characters like Donkey Kong, Ganondorf, Mii Fighters (particularly Brawler), and Palutena more often because they become a lot better with certain custom moves.

Basically, the game sort of gets a little boost in spectating from custom moves because it adds an interesting layer to both the players and characters -- unfortunately, for some of the above, there's an end-all be-all best custom and sometimes their game plan solely relies on using it and abusing it as much as possible (at least, from what we've seen -- there's certainly bound to be ways to counter such tactics).

In any case, the reason to watch Smash 4 is just to see how custom moves pan out: such as if any secret tech gets unveiled in the tournament or what characters appear with custom moves being legal (besides the ones I listed) and also how the matches play out with stuff like Pikachu having a custom move that easily sets up for a KO around 50%. It could be hype or it could be a snoozefest. Regardless, I would give it a chance tomorrow and if you don't like what you see you can always just turn it off and save yourself some time -- though pools will probably be the more interesting part of the tournament just because of custom moves alone, where Top 32 and Top 8 might... be less interesting (depending on who makes it there with what characters).

I hope that... sells you on it lol. Personally, I'm going to watch Melee most of the day and then switch over to Smash 4 at some point -- half and half kind of thing.

Yo, this Mang0 pic is sick.
CKE2SinVAAAIG14.png

Source

ShinMaruku

Every Evo I watch in sf4 as the US hopes are broken. How can they expect a spread apart community can EVER compete with a place with better player development pipelines?

kasane

I have a nagging feeling daigo is gonna get knocked out early

if he reaches top 8 hes winning

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOO

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Was hoping there would be any random streams tonight.

Remember that EVO almost never goes as planned. There will be upsets and blowups. The question is who.

Was hoping there would be any random streams tonight.

Remember that EVO almost never goes as planned. There will be upsets and blowups. The question is who.

Same here but oh well, time to look at past EVO moments for the evening.

I took off work this whole weekend just to watch it and I am fucking excited!

Renekton

I have a nagging feeling daigo is gonna get knocked out early

if he reaches top 8 hes winning

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOO
The Evo format has way too much RNG. Any pro can randomly hit a bad streak of matchups.

Just stamp out the hopes and enjoy the show.

If they get that anime stream up it'll explode tonight for me. I wanna see some under exposed fighting game tech. I love seeing high level play from game's I'm unfamiliar with. Always all kinds of unexpected and exciting mechanics shown during those.

It sucks that I have to work tomorrow morning but after that I'll be checking out streams for the rest of the night.

Good luck to everyone's who's competing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom