• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2015 - The Fighting Game Tournament of the Year - July 17-19th

Status
Not open for further replies.
The people complaining are against them because some of them are incredibly gimmicky and can be abused where otherwise, the results of a match would be different. Take ESAM, for example. His Pikachu play, for the most part, is the same with or without customs but what changes is he gets a 40-50% KO move (which he can easily setup for with Thunder Wave, as we saw multiple times against top players). The players don't like dealing with that and so since something like that isn't part of the default game, they'd rather play under default moves.

Notice how even a majority of top 32 use default specials, as well. This is because they primarily play under default moves and it's what they're familiar with. It's a completely different meta with customs on.

Just look at Sonic on-stream right now with his two custom moves, he wouldn't be able to camp/runaway as effectively without them. Does Sonic play runaway with his default moves? Yes, but it's not entirely as effective as the custom moves Manny used. Again, it's gimmicky stuff that players don't want to deal with because it's not adding any more skill to the game -- it's, to a degree, taking away skill by making things easier to do with more powerful options.

At least, that's my understanding of it.

I understand the argument, I just think it's wrong. Early kills aren't necessarily broken just because they're powerful, and I'm not sure why people use that as an argument against them. Obviously these customs aren't that easy to use, or we'd see more players doing well with them. And even if they do start to look a little overpowered: so did wobbling or shinespikes in Melee, your default reaction shouldn't be to ban them. We need to let the meta develop a little bit before we take such drastic action. I think Evo has been a big boom for that, so I'm glad they allowed customs here.

And just because people are used to playing one way doesn't mean that's a legitimate argument for keeping things that way. They stick to defaults either because they're used to or they like them best, and that's fine, but I like players having the option to do more.

Static Manny timed people out at CEO too, the customs aren't changing anything in that regard. Honestly, the changing customs were the one interesting thing to watch in that whole set, to see how Ally reacted.

I think I'll lose a lot of interest in Smash 4 if they remove customs and switch to 3 stock matches, like a lot of players want. I just think it loses a lot of what makes in unique and fun that way, and I'd rather just watch something else most of the time.

BadWolf

Amazing performance by Xiao Hai, making a showcase of his incredibly solid KOF fundamentals.

Got sent to losers early and made it all the way back.

Tripon

Any lower and matches won't finish at all and timeouts will be way more common than they are now.

I said he still does it without customs... it's just not nearly as annoying/ridiculous to overcome.

You can't camp nearly as well with those characters without customs. Same with Rosalina.
Heavily disagree about Rosa and Sonic. both Rosa and Sonic default toolsets lead to defensive, campy play. Their customs give more offensive options for each character.

Custom Villager is the camping champ with customs and his default is not good enough to camp like that. I would agree with that.

FluxWaveZ

Guess I'm gonna have to stop focusing on Catherine for Smash now, but Catherine's really cool to watch.

Edit: Hmph, I'll try to watch both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom