• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III |OT| King for a day...fool for a lifetime

I don't know why but after watching those videos of gameplay I really want to pick this up. My brain tells me otherwise, plus I'd much rather just play it on PC. Why did they have to delay it!? I'm so confused!

MMaRsu

Snuggler said:
Hmmm a 5.5/10

I'm not big on Destructoid, but it's refreshing. I was hoping to see a few less than positive reviews to shine a light on the flaws. You can't get much out of "OMG AWESOME 9/10".

Reading it now, and they do give a pretty solid explanation of the score. No worries.

Destructoid gave AC2 a 4 or something. I mean seriously, don't listen to those idiots when deciding to buy ANY game.

SpokkX

Questions

1. Is the combat just as easy as in Fable 2?
The piss-easy combat i F2 med upgrading stuff worthless since you were immortal anyway..

2. Are there any "real" dungeons with puzzles and bosses this time around?
The lack of puzzles always bugged me in Fable and the "dungeons" were always more or less just a path.

p3tran said:
the only thing that does not "fit", is that molyneux tries to make an interface that is great for kids, yet game is full of gay bullshit.

does not compute at all in my book.

dont mix your bedroom preferences with your work, mr molyneux!

Classy.

MMaRsu said:
Destructoid gave AC2 a 4 or something. I mean seriously, don't listen to those idiots when deciding to buy ANY game.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with this. Destructoid is an (unintentional) joke when it comes to more than just reviews.

That said, the game does seem to have its share of flaws.

undu

MMaRsu said:
In fact it was Sterling, the rest of dtoid's staff is much better reviewing than him.

MMaRsu

undu said:
In fact it was Sterling, the rest of dtoid's staff is much better reviewing than him.

A website that employs a joke character like that doesn't deserve to be read.

stupei

There were a all those people in the thread last night swearing by Amazon release date delivery and how they've never had a problem.

I attempt using it one time ever, and I wake up to this email:

We're sorry for the delay in shipping the order you placed on October 14 2010. We have good news -- the order is now being shipped! You should receive a shipping notification shortly, within the next business day, for the following item(s):

"Fable III Limited Collector's Edition"

The shipping notification will include an updated estimated delivery date and tracking information if it's available.

Because we were unable to meet our guaranteed delivery date promise, we are refunding the shipping charges for your entire order. This refund should be processed within the next few days, and we will send you an e-mail to let you know when the refund has been completed.
Ugh. Just ugh.

p3tran said:
trolling aside, its a very nice game, far better than previous titles.
very beautiful gfx, sounds, voice etc.

the only thing that does not "fit", is that molyneux tries to make an interface that is great for kids, yet game is full of gay bullshit.

The fuck? Gamefaqs is that way.

Risible

p3tran said:

WTF. GTFO with that shit. Nice attitude.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
taoofjord said:
I'm confused about this but do you miss out on anything by doing couch co-op? I'm thinking of playing this with my girlfriend as well.

You can marry other heroes in-game. She joined in, I proposed to her. She accepted.

And no, as far as I can tell, you're not missing out on anything. In fact, both worlds kinda... merge. For instance, the gnomes she didn't shoot in her world appear in mine for her to shoot. You both have your dogs, your own hero, etc etc.
In fact, (couch) co-op is a richer experience, since you can engage in marriage, business partnership, etc etc. Also: player 1 keeps control over the camera, as opposed to the shitty-cam in Fable 2 when in couch-co-op.

Nemesis_

Risible said:
WTF. GTFO with that shit. Nice attitude.

I hate how people who must be under 20 or something spew out homophobic remarks to get what I can only assume is "street cred".

Awful awful posting.

Well without that Destructoid review I probably wouldn't even know about stuff like this until I bought the game:

In Fable III, you can only emote to villagers one at a time, performing the same tedious animations for them until they like you.

In short, everything has been bundled into one place, leaving nothing to discover in Albion itself.

You visit only a few places, and fight only a fraction of the types of enemies that Fable is known for.

The number of stores and blacksmiths has been reduced, and there's far less to do overall.

Flib

I picked this up from a local mom n' pop yesterday, put about 3-4 hours into it so far. For the record, I enjoyed Fable II but had a lot of problems with it...probably would have given it a low 7/10.

Just to get this part out of the way first, let me just say that the game definitely has a fair share of technical issues: screen-tearing occurs often, framerate can be janky, that weird blurry effect can really get to me after periods of extended play, and the colors sometimes seem a bit washed out (although the environmental design is really fantastic). Pathing can also be wonky...haven't had anyone get stuck, but sometime companions can kind of glitch a bit when running through areas with tons of objects. These are all issues which I had with Fable II as well, and III does run better technically, but these are still lingering problems

That said, I was still having a blast. Definitely a nice upgrade from Fable II in most ways. Story is very charming and compelling (fantastic work from John Cleese and Bernard Hill), and everything is a lot bigger (world, areas, quests etc.). They definitely took a lot more care with the sidequests (the one involving a pair of actors comes to mind), and all of the core systems from Fable seem to be more fleshed out and, more importantly, more fun.

It's still easy, it still has technical issues, and if you didn't like rubbing up on housewives and farting on them, you probably won't like this entry. But if you enjoyed Fable II at all, pick this one up.

Oh, and if you have pathological issues with men in thongs appearing in comical situations like the poster above, maybe you should stay away and get an FPS or something instead.

FrankT

Reading the CVG review, without giving too much away can someone tell me where in the game I should take notice for this;

Another niggle is that where Mass Effect 2's ending gives players fair warning that 'pressing A' could result in a game-ruining finale if unprepared, Fable III's own risky conclusion forgets to give us a final opt-out point. It's all-to-easy to muck up your whole game world. Believe us. You have been warned.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Reading about the game's interface issues, I'm glad I pulled out of my pre-order at the last moment. What is it with Lionhead and its inability to nail down interface and technical issues? I think they deserve to be smacked down for this now.

p3tran

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
I hate how people who must be under 20 or something spew out homophobic remarks to get what I can only assume is "street cred".

Awful awful posting.

I'm 35.

In the game, you have to talk to people to gain approval.
Your character talks to another same sex character.
Opening move ('A' button for you) is an intimate dance that starts with your character sticking his face to the other guys face, wave him from the waist, ends with your character lifting the other character gently in the air, like a ballerina.
Next press of 'A' button has your character performing some macho-like animation gestures, and the other character leans over with admiration, his hands touching around your belt and to the thighs.
Next 'A' keypress said 'whistle'. sorry but I didnt care to press for the third time.

Then you got the right trigger that displays information for other npc's like "common, gay, flirty". And that tag is on neutral people, that you havent even talked to.
The character I talked to in my example, the dance 'partner' that admired my character's groins, had right trigger info "common, straight, aggresive"

harsh for some or not , my critique stands.

Zenith

Banned
Which review is correct?

Kotaku said:
You sit upon the throne ready to make a year's worth of decrees. At last, a thrilling new system! You will face the moral dilemmas that come with wearing the crown.

But what really happens once you're king (or queen)? Well, one choice you must make as king requires you to choose between opening a homeless shelter and opening a brothel. Another involves whether to allow child labor. Arguing for the dark side is a man who once tried to murder you. While it is certain that the people at Lionhead Studios are quite bright, the version of kingly rule they let us play posits a world in which rulers have the choice to do obvious good or to cackle while committing evil. Absent from Fable III's worldview is the idea that a ruler, be they George W. Bush or Barack Obama, does what they do out of the assumption their decisions are made for good. Evil is obvious. Its advocates are snakes. Fable III's simplistic morality in this king phase is a crushing disappointment. How frustrating given that the game's first moral choice, made in its first quarter-hour is a stomach-knotter.

Write off the king stuff as an interesting failed experiment, and what do you have?

http://kotaku.com/5672802/review-fable-iii

CVG said:
Being King of Albion is properly good fun. No, really - we said in the opener to this review that it's the best simulation Peter Molyneux produced in years, and we stand by that judgement. With the crown on your head and the laws at your feet, you can make direct and significant decisions that immediately change the Fable III world and the characters that inhabit it - and every choice genuinely does have a consequence.

Should you pay top dollar to build a sewage plant for the growing stink in Bowerstone Industrial, or simply re-direct it to the marshes for free (upsetting the hippies in the process)? What about drinking laws - will you accept cash to outlaw pubs, or endorse boozing altogether and have villagers puking in the streets?

And when, my lord, you're propositioned with a plan to build a brothel on a crumbling orphanage for ridiculous profits, which way will your conscience sway? In fact, in order to do the best for your kingdom, you'll often come across as a ruthless, greedy tyrant to the people of Albion - contradicting your motivations for rushing the palace gates in the first place. The comparisons with Thatcher, Blair, Obama et al are hard to miss.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=271664

The former one sounds more in keeping with Fable's previous morality systems.

p3tran said:
I'm 35.

Opening move ('A' button for you) is an intimate dance that starts with your character sticking his face to the other guys face, wave him from the waist, ends with your character lifting the other character gently in the air, like a ballerina.
Next press of 'A' button has your character performing some macho-like animation gestures, and the other character leans over with admiration, his hands touching around your belt and to the thighs.
Next 'A' keypress said 'whistle'. sorry but I didnt care to press for the third time.

Then you got the right trigger that displays information for other npc's like "common, gay, flirty". And that tag is on neutral people, that you havent even talked to.
The character I talked to in my example, the dance 'partner' that admired my character's groins, had right trigger info "common, straight, aggresive"

You know there's gay marriage in Fable 3, right? You should either a) stop playing right now before jesus sends to hell or b) stop being so ignorant.

Four times now the Xbox has locked up when trying to access the sanctuary. The game's basically broken for me. :(
Actually kind of glad to see that it wasn't just me who had these horrible bugs :(

Zenith said:
The former one sounds more in keeping with Fable's previous morality systems.

Yeah but it's also written by Kotaku

p3tran said:
I'm 35.

First, the game is rated M.

Secondly, grow up.

p3tran said:
I'm 35.

No one cares what point you were trying to make. The issue is with your derogatory use of the term gay.

Normally I'm not one for collectors editions, but I'm considering it on this occasion. Just how substantial is the extra content that is limited to the CE?

Jinaar

The correct review is none. Fuck reviewers. So far if reviewers had their way I wouldn't enjoy any game this year by their standards. So far review sites have zero place in my life in general. Banish them all.

p3tran said:
I'm 35.

ALL of that stuff would be considered "G" rated between a guy and a girl. That is why your attitude is homophobic.

p3tran

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
You should stop playing Fable 3 right now before Jesus sends you to Hell!!!
I dont have a problem with jesus/hell/straight/gay etc.

if you read my original post, I said it just doesnt make sense to make this beautiful game so easy and accesible to kids (rpg with no menus, single press actions, audiovisual style etc) , while sporting this -clearly not for kids- attitude.

so
if you are a parent, you may want to keep this away from your kids.
if you are a gay that feels talking about gay is taboo and/or offensive, eh, not my problem.

Tubobutts

p3tran said:

if you read my original post, I said it just doesnt make sense to make this beautiful game so easy and accesible to kids (rpg with no menus, single press actions, audiovisual style etc) , while sporting this -clearly not for kids- attitude.

so
if you are a gay that feels talking about gay is taboo and/or offensive, eh, not my problem.

It's rated M. That's not exactly kid friendly.

SPEA

Fable has always been a series that's been cool with being gay and gay relationships. There was even a side quest in Fable 2 where a father was trying to find a woman for his son, but he ended up being gay. It's not new to Fable at all.

Kingpen

Is there enough room in a game library for Fable 2 and Fable 3? I bought the platinum hits version of Fable 2 so I could get all the DLC, and would really like to put some time into completing that game eventually (of which I like from having it when it first came out and putting about 12 hours into it).

Or will it end up being that once I play fable 3, I won't want to play fable 2 anymore?

I'm just wondering if I should spring for Fable 3 today because of this situation, or wait until it is packaged with the inevitable GOTY version with all the DLC.

p3tran said:

so

It's how you said what you said that is the issue here. Saying "gay bullshit" is homophobic, no way around it. But I'm just reiterating what others have said and you haven't gotten it yet, so I don't know why I'm wasting time doing this.

Jtyettis said:
Reading the CVG review, without giving too much away can someone tell me where in the game I should take notice for this;
Yeah I'm a bit worried about that also, hopefully the ending sequence isn't forced on us after being king/queen for a while.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Why would a straight villager of the same sex (marked with the "straight") even respond positively to the dance/macho flex/seductive emotes though? Is there no "Thanks, but no thanks" emote they do back? :lol

p3tran said:

so
Only if you're a parent that feels being gay is wrong.

Linkified

p3tran said:

so

Its not for kids though, which is why it is Mature rated in the US and 16 in the UK.

I'd still like to know how the king half of the game is... do you just simple make design and choices for the city and then go back to doing quests, etc, or does the game completely change after that point?

Teknoman

About the whole dance argument: Cant you just...not do the dance emote for guys if you didnt want to? I dont think they force you to do anything.

EDIT: I dont have the game yet, but im guessing since its all about choices, you dont have to do anything you dont want to do. All im saying is, if you dont like the dance, dont do it.

DarkKyo

p3tran said:

so
You should consider ending yourself.

Guess I just won't raise my kids to fear irrational nonsense.

NewLib

Banned
Teknoman said:
About the whole dance argument: Cant you just...not do the dance emote for guys if you didnt want to? I dont think they force you to do anything.

The dance is the freaking dance from Dirty Dancing. Its suppose to be funny.

Cheech

Well, ok then!

I finally was able to create my villager today. They finally fixed whatever was broken on the website. I created a woman of high moral character, with a name indicative of her high social standing and esteem.

"Free Blow Jobs"

My wife will be thrilled!

Top Bottom