• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 3.0: The Thirsty Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to be rich, lets make a YA novel.

The plot so far:

The protagonist is a teenage girl. It's set in the future where a totalitarian government rules America

#impact

So much better than THG's boring and safe ending.
I hope they alter it in the final movie.

I don't think comparing the two is really fair. I think both endings suit their respective series well.

Having Katniss suffer a complete and utter mental breakdown was totally understandable, and felt natural because of what she's been through. She's not Tris. Her story isn't one of personal sacrifice. Hers is one of being thrown into a situation you don't want, and learning to deal with what comes next. Having her die at the end doesn't make sense. What has she fought for that she truly wanted? She didn't want to be in the Games. She didn't want to be the Mockingjay. She didn't want any of it. Her death would serve no purpose other than for shock value. A mental breakdown suits her, and when she and Peeta learn to cope together, it's understandable.

Tris' story, on the other hand, is one of sacrifice. She dances around the idea and concept of it all numerous times throughout the series, but it's not until being REALLY faced with it does it truly click. It's almost like she was meant to die, once she learned that. It works for her. But it doesn't work for Katniss.

zeemumu

Also why is it even called the hunger games

I don't get it

The Teen Murder Games might be more accurate

Food is scarce, which doesn't come across very well in the films, and the winner gets food and a new house.

Katniss hunts so her family was always fairly well-fed, but before then she was starving to death and Peeta gave her bread.

It's a little hard to get past Snow's stupidity. He was smart enough not to make Katniss a martyr, but his solution for that was to make LITERALLY EVERYONE ELSE A MARTYR. "Oh, don't kill Katniss, it'll just boost their determination. Kill everyone else instead. They won't miss them." Come on, man, you've got access to hovercrafts and monsters. Is there really nothing else you could think of?

Food is scarce, which doesn't come across very well in the films, and the winner gets food and a new house.

Katniss hunts so her family was always fairly well-fed, but before then she was starving to death and Peeta gave her bread.

They probably should dedicate some of their amazing future scifi technology that allows for instant teleportation and geographic control to help them grow crops eh?

zeemumu

They probably should dedicate some of their amazing future scifi technology that allows for instant teleportation and geographic control to help them grow crops eh?

Nope. Each district is in charge of an aspect of life, so specific Districts handle food. The Capitol wants to keep the districts under their heel so they don't use their future technology to help at all, kind of like how in Elysium the had the ability to instantly cure any disease with mass produced machines but decided against installing even one on earth because screw those guys.

My favorite piece of future tech from Hunger Games is Katniss' Mockingjay bow. Think Dredd's gun, except it's a bow.

They do though. People in the Capitol are well fed, but the only districts to produce food are 4, 10, and 11. It's used as a form of control. The people are intentionally underfed by the government.

The districts are not allowed any kind of communication with each other, and they aren't given any real kinds of technology.

Nope. Each district is in charge of an aspect of life, so specific Districts handle food. The Capitol wants to keep the districts under their heel so they don't use their future technology to help at all, kind of like how in Elysium the had the ability to instantly cure any disease with mass produced machines but decided against installing even one on earth because screw those guys.

Elysium was probably the dumbest movie I saw that year. Thank god it had sweet action scenes because otherwise I would have walked out.

President Snow looks too much like Santa Clause to be truly menacing.

I pictured him as much worse based on his descriptions in the books. They need to make Donald Sutherland creepier.

zeemumu

President Snow looks too much like Santa Clause to be truly menacing.

I pictured him as much worse based on his descriptions in the books. They need to make Donald Sutherland creepier.

Jeff Bridges should have been President Snow.

There's also a parody movie of the Hunger Games called The Starving Games on Netflix. The cave scene in that one isn't much better, Em.

I read the books when they had just announced the cast for the movie. JLaw was blond with long hair back then, and so no matter how many times the book described her hair as dark and in a braid, I couldn't picture it.

They do though. People in the Capitol are well fed, but the only districts to produce food are 4, 10, and 11. It's used as a form of control. The people are intentionally underfed by the government.

I don't think president santa thought this through all the way. Actual fascist regimes kept their population as well fed as possible because of the old bread and circuses maxim. The best way to promote revolution is to keep people hungry and dissatisfied. Which reminds me, did they literally name their country Panem, as in, the Latin for "bread?" Lolz.

I don't think president santa thought this through all the way. Actual fascist regimes kept their population as well fed as possible because of the old bread and circuses maxim. The best way to promote revolution is to keep people hungry and dissatisfied. Which reminds me, did they literally name their country Panem, as in, the Latin for "bread?" Lolz.

Stop crushing my soul. ;_;

zeemumu

Santa Snow wasn't president when the rebellion got crushed and the Hunger Games started. It's been going on for 75 years. It was some other guy. Maybe this guy:

hailskroob.gif

But yeah, Snow is pretty incompetent. That's why he wears that rose.

Snow would be a better villain if he were portrayed as some depraved sex maniac. But that's 2edgy4YAL.

Surprised the books even hint at Finnick being forced to prostitute himself. Snow was totally one of his clients.

Snow would be a better villain if he were portrayed as some depraved sex maniac. But that's 2edgy4YAL.

Surprised the books even hint at Finnick being forced to prostitute himself. Snow was totally one of his clients.

I found a fanfic once in which Katniss marries Gale, and Peeta goes into the Games with Madge. He wins, and essentially becomes a Capitol sex slave like Finnick. Also becomes an alcoholic and has buddy times with Haymitch. It's an Everlark fic, though.

It's really well done.

I found a fanfic once in which Katniss marries Gale, and Peeta goes into the Games with Madge. He wins, and essentially becomes a Capitol sex slave like Finnick. Also becomes an alcoholic and has buddy times with Haymitch. It's an Everlark fic, though.

It's really well done.

Lord.

Gale and Katniss should be canon tho.

Orignally I thought he was some kind of closet cannibal.

Same because of the blood Katniss smells on his breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom