• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ping Pong 07

6W9uR51.jpg

Peco you have fallen

Pretty surprised about Koizumi backstory. Some people have a pretty heavy weight on their shoulders.

Midonin

Librarian 12 + Final Thoughts

Not as tragic as Grisaia nor offering twists as big as Waremete, it was the VN show this season most likely to put one in a good mood. The characters were cute, and the idea of the library certainly has its appeals. Like I said, VNs really like making their stories about multiple timelines and the choices we make, in addition to other things, so it feels like a natural fit for its medium, even if the connection isn't quite carried over when it's made into anime form. Just an overall feel good kinda show. Slightly lewd, asks a few questions about life (though it doesn't go that deeply into them) and chooses the main heroine as its route. About what I'd expect for a VN anime.

I hope that four VN anime this season means we'll be seeing a resurgence. There's still some stories out there that haven't been animated yet that I think have potential. Just need someone out there who can realize it.

faridmon

dumb&edgy
aoty

1-Cross Ange
2-Psycho Pass S2
3-Aldnoah Zero

I haven't watched wixoss, maybe it belongs to the list somewhere.

I should watch something good for a change :(

I... agree, surprisingly enough.

Psycho pass 2 pls, you could have been more!

Pooya

The shows funi picks up automatically become those I'm not interested in following. I cross them out right there and wait for impressions...

that reminds me I still haven't watched the last episode of TiR, completely forgot about it. lol

whenever I have CR pass it's just too convenient to bother with funi,

Date A Live Encore 3 OVA - Kurumi Star Festival

1687273ugyog.jpg

... huh?

This... isn't right. This was supposed to be a light-hearted Kurumi OVA with an enchanting wedding dress as the main event. It was supposed to be a celebration of the goddess's majestic glory, not a tale about her fall from grace. It was supposed to kill me by stopping my heart, not by smashing it into pieces.

Seriously, right now I feel as if someone ripped out my intestines and devoured them raw in front of me. Not because the OVA itself was weak. Far from it, it was the most affecting episode of anything I've watched this year. It just really goddamn hurts.

I already had my suspicions about 'Kurumi's' true identity before the revelation. The first 20 minutes or so seemed innocent enough, but the foreshadowing was clearly there for something adverse to happen later, never mind Kurumi's behaviour. When the moment in question arrived, I'm having difficulty thinking of the last time I felt so simultaneously heartbroken and filled with rage towards someone. Towards Kurumi of all freakin' people. Then I saw her clone's wish at the end and that basically finished me off.

The story really hammered home something that tore at me throughout the 1st season -
downplaying the lives of her clones by virtue of them being "clones" is doing them a huge disservice. Kurumi said it herself, her clones are essentially past versions of her, with flesh and blood bodies and their own personalities. None of this Naruto rubbish where they disappear into smoke when injured. The death of a clone is the death of a past Kurumi, and it's getting really painful to see all the shit they have to go through.

I'm not sure how this episode affects my, uh, fondness for Kurumi. I accept (and usually embrace) her cruelty towards others, but for some reason seeing her deny herself happiness like this cuts deep. The fact that one of her clones is capable of displaying that kind of behaviour means that Kurumi herself has it in her too somewhere, or least she did in her past. Bleh, I'm not in any kind of mental state to consider this further right now.

1687277uwun1.jpg

In hindsight, I really could've chosen a better time to watch this. Now I'll be fighting the urge to strangle everyone who visits over Christmas.

Midonin

Chocotto Sister Advent Calendar Day 24 + Final Thoughts

Christmas imagery only really features in the OP and the first and final episodes, but that counts enough for me to consider it appropriate for this time of year. The final episode's montage of everyone Choco met worked, and seeing
Kuro the puma with Yuki inside the afterlife was heartwarming, in a way.
That an ordinary Japanese woman transformed herself into Santa at the very end, and that Choco gave her a gift beforehand, does raise more questions as to how Santa works in this world, but I can ponder on that later.

The show dealt pretty heavily in unrequited love, none of which was ever confirmed. The main thrust was Choco discovering how the world works, and in that regard, it accomplished what it set out to do. Not completely a romcom, though it does have romantic elements, it's really more of a daily life thing. Lewd, but never making that its main point. It was somewhere between all of those, but I enjoyed watching it. Shows like this provide a nice contrast to all the magical wars and crazy things going on in anime at times.

Jex

[Parasyte] - Xmas Edition

I can't say I am a fan of the way this story arc played out. Not only was it predictable, but it forced us to go through another round of "incredibly stupid character decisions" which I've frankly had plenty of already.

Naruto is the only Anime I've ever watched, and I want to move on to another one. I haven't the slightest clue what to get into. Can anyone suggest one for me?

Never seen Dragonball? Go do that to see where Naruto gets a lot of its tropes from. Also Yu Yu Hakusho.

If you want, you could check out this thread I made years ago. Hasn't been updated in a while and a lot of that stuff is manga only, but there's also a bunch that got an anime you might like.

cajunator

Banned
Those who think moe is dead just don't have any imagination left.
Moe comes from the soul. You keep it inside , in your heart.

Beautiful words man. I felt a tear.

It had cute girls and I knew I could get into it without being too lost. I knew it was related to an older show, but had no real desire to watch it until now.

Looking back at the season where it debuted (Fall 09), shows like Railgun, Sasameki Koto and 11eyes were my top priority, so this was mostly something to pass the time.

Fair enough. But Kiddy Grade's girls are much cuter :D
The show did get kind of lost in the great shuffle, but for me it stood out pretty strongly for various reasons. It was the right show at the right time I guess.

Merry Christmas Eve everyone!

Honestly, I'm ok with this. Steins;Gate had a good ending that tied up loose ends. It doesn't need a sequel.

There was a Gundam SEED parody in that episode? If there was I didn't see it. Then again, I'm only halfway through on SEED anyway.

I'm not too big a fan of Niko, haha.

But yeah, it really is much better than SAO in almost every way.

But even so, it's still pretty cool that there was a little crossover piece in Accel World's manga where Haru fought Kirito!
It ended in a draw, but Haru said that if Kirito didn't disconnect at the last second, he would have lost. Because of course Kirito has to win it all, doesn't he Kawihara? -_-

NIko is pretty awesome because
she wasnt a token loli imouto like we thought. she ended up being the Red King and a very powerful ally to Haru and his team. Her whole loli thing was pretty much a front. I laughed so hard when that was revealed. And then she ended up being a super badass powerful tank.

All of WIXOSS

Mari Okada is so godlike, my brain is melting from this.

She is. Mari might be insane but I think she's kind of brilliant.

Trading Places is the secret best Christmas movie.

Hmmm. Its possible. Classic movie. But dont forget National Lampoons Christmas vacation!

Will post a 5000 word essay about the strike witches franchise before the year end now.

I will read all of this. all of it.

1687273ugyog.jpg

... huh?

This... isn't right. This was supposed to be a light-hearted Kurumi OVA with an enchanting wedding dress as the main event. It was supposed to be a celebration of the goddess's majestic glory, not a tale about her fall from grace. It was supposed to kill me by stopping my heart, not by smashing it into pieces.

Seriously, right now I feel as if someone ripped out my intestines and devoured them raw in front of me. Not because the OVA itself was weak. Far from it, it was the most affecting episode of anything I've watched this year. It just really goddamn hurts.

I already had my suspicions about 'Kurumi's' true identity before the revelation. The first 20 minutes or so seemed innocent enough, but the foreshadowing was clearly there for something adverse to happen later, never mind Kurumi's behaviour. When the moment in question arrived, I'm having difficulty thinking of the last time I felt so simultaneously heartbroken and filled with rage towards someone. Towards Kurumi of all freakin' people. Then I saw her clone's wish at the end and that basically finished me off.

The story really hammered home something that tore at me throughout the 1st season -
downplaying the lives of her clones by virtue of them being "clones" is doing them a huge disservice. Kurumi said it herself, her clones are essentially past versions of her, with flesh and blood bodies and their own personalities. None of this Naruto rubbish where they disappear into smoke when injured. The death of a clone is the death of a past Kurumi, and it's getting really painful to see all the shit they have to go through.

I'm not sure how this episode affects my, uh, fondness for Kurumi. I accept (and usually embrace) her cruelty towards others, but for some reason seeing her deny herself happiness like this cuts deep. The fact that one of her clones is capable of displaying that kind of behaviour means that Kurumi herself has it in her too somewhere, or least she did in her past. Bleh, I'm not in any kind of mental state to consider this further right now.

1687277uwun1.jpg

In hindsight, I really could've chosen a better time to watch this. Now I'll be fighting the urge to strangle everyone who visits over Christmas.

I was wondering what your thoughts would be! OVA didnt quite go as expected Ill say that much!

Andrew J.

SAO 2 15-17: Excaliber Arc

Decided to skip Death Gun and just go straight to the part people were saying was (relatively) good.

This is probably the best that this show can be. The gang going on an adventure, limited stakes, a few moments of good fighting animation, comedy at Klein's expense, some light fanservice and harem antics. Exposition was clunky in places, but otherwise this was perfectly acceptable anime entertainment.

Kirito sweet-talking Sugu at the beginning and being really anxious to get his hands on the sword at the end is probably the most real he's ever felt.

Ping Pong 11 END

DwY2ev4.jpg

Thats a nice smile

Great conclusion to the story, so many feels. The epilogue was pretty cool, everyone finds their way in life.

Overall the story is a slow build that slowly develops the characters towards a great payoff. Characters really get better as the story develops.

The artstyle really shines during the matches, in character close ups and some select scenes but it can look pretty cheap in some moments.

Soundtrack was awesome too. Each characters had themes beffiting of them. The song in the final episode brought the feels.

Really great series, I recommend to anyone who likes anime and are looking for something different in the medium.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Parasyte Episode 12:

I really didn't want things to come to this point but the famale cast are all so bland and horribly written and have become such an albatross that I downgrading this off of my top 10 list. Also, if I have to watch more episodes like this then I am dropping the series in total because good lord my apathy runneth over.

Kvik

Merry Christmas, AnimeGAF!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 CR guest passes. Not a raffle, but first come, first serve. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me, but tell me what you guys think of Magi: The Kingdom of Magic. I've watched The Labyrinth of Magic and I liked what I see.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Crunchyroll All-Access Guest Pass - 48 Hours -- MB-2B95E7A1C6B5F58B
Crunchyroll All-Access Guest Pass - 48 Hours #2 -- MB-468753AA18B92647

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Hajime no Ippo. You may as well watch the best (sport) shonen available.

Added. Thanks

Never seen Dragonball? Go do that to see where Naruto gets a lot of its tropes from. Also Yu Yu Hakusho.

If you want, you could check out this thread I made years ago. Hasn't been updated in a while and a lot of that stuff is manga only, but there's also a bunch that got an anime you might like.

Oh yeah, sorry.. I've seen lots, and lots, and lots of Dragonball!

I will check out that thread. Thanks.

I'm a little late for recommendations, but I would recommend

Gintama
FMA/FMA:broterhood
Soul eater

Added to the list. Thanks.

Man. You guys are a lot of help. Never expected this many suggestions! Thanks a lot.

There was a Gundam SEED parody in that episode? If there was I didn't see it. Then again, I'm only halfway through on SEED anyway.
That reference was quite obvious. Just think of rewatching this episode when you've finished seed.

All will be clear then .

All of WIXOSS

Mari Okada is so godlike, my brain is melting from this.

but you had fun , right?

I know i had fun, at least.

That's my problem with that oav as well ... i went in expecting to be full of happy thoughts and got this.

THAT IS NOT OK

The sad thing is that the first part was trully great and it's what make the second part even harder to accept as it is.

Narag

Gundam Build Fighters Try 12

EIoQ1JXl.png

0VOaIRel.jpg

KR6K4PQl.jpg

Remember how cool GBF was, guys? Guys??

Content of the ep was actually enjoyable but it highlighted the larger problem of the team battle dynamic that's largely been unsatisfying thus far. One gets a hint of some GBF goodness in Yuuma vs Meijin because it goes back to the intimate 1-on-1 format of the first series which, in turn, goes back to the issue of anything good in GBF Try being an element co-opted from GBF.

Turn A Gundam I: Earth Light

Yeah I'm just gonna watch the full series. I went into this with the first set of Madoka Movies sort of ideal when I read they were compilations but the cuts are done in such a way that I distinctly feel like I'm missing out on details even though I know nothing of the story. I'll just start over with the full series instead because I cannot finish this as is.

~wan

Narag

Turn A Gundam I: Earth Light

Yeah I think I'm just gonna watch the full series. i went into this with the first turn Madoka Movies sort of ideal when I read they were compilations but the cuts are done in such as way that I distinctly feel like I'm missing out on details even though I know nothing of the story. I'll just start over with the full series instead.

Yes, please. That movie cuts out so much and instead works as some sort of "greatest hits" that's more in line with F91 than the original MSG movies which had a runtime long enough to allow things to develop. I watch a bunch of compilation junk and it's almost always terrible. Looking back, I wasn't kind to this at all.

phaze

Tokyo Ghoul 1

Yesterday marked the start of free, dubbed Tokyo Ghoul streaming beginning here. I watching not expecting much for a dub offered for free, given how the anime market is faring in Italy, but it was pretty good.
I'm guessing that the free stream of the Japanese voiced episodes garnered enough interest to make them decide to go ahead and dub Tokyo Ghoul, which gives me hope Psycho-Pass 2 might follow... and if it does, that would mean BDs getting released and then promptly bought by me.

Anyways, first episode of Tokyo Ghoul wasn't bad. I've only read the first volume of the manga so I don't know much about the story and if the few differences spotted were because of wanting to add certain details missing from the manga or because they added some things showed later in the manga as a basis to give the anime watcher some more info at the start.

I assume this is still the censored version? Prepare for some awful black bars in the crucial moments. I wonder how Italian Tsukiyama will sound like. ;O

Parasyte 12

And the
Darwin Award goes to Kana. Good riddance.

I'm a little late for recommendations, but I would recommend

Gintama
FMA/FMA:broterhood
Soul eater
You recommended Soul Eater? Really? Did you see what happened to that series post BREW arc? Do you remember the completely nonsensical progression of events leading into that hilariously unsatisfying ending?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom