• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fans are worried Metaphor won't sell well because Xbox is heavily promoting it

BlueLyria

If it flops I'm not sure you can put the blame on just MS marketing.
Sega is responsible for regional pricing, and theirs has been terrible the last few releases. It's also a new ip and one that has been cooking for a long time.

They didn't put it on Switch, so the sales are gonna be trash no matter what. People don't want to play these types of games on Xbox or Playstation.
Judging from the sales of the Xenoblade Chronicles series and contrasting them with other first party releases (even thrashy-ass content starved cash grabs like Mario Tennis and Mario Party), I highly doubt that this mythical audience exists on the Switch either. I would rather play games without crappy IQ and fps.

All XC entries have sold less than the latest FF entries (FFXVI and FFVII Remake) that Ninty and MS fanboys love to call out as failures. Going by your logic, XC series can be a much bigger success if ported to PC and PS5, the audience is just not there on the Switch.

Last edited:
I've played the demo on PC and was pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable the game was. Now I'm not a massive fan of Persona, although I did enjoy Persona 5 Golden (?) on PS5, and this game borrows a lot of its mechanics for those games but it felt different enough to interest me (i.e. not being set in a school for a change). Not sure if I will buy it at launch but since the save carries over to the final game then I'll just finish the demo and then wait for the game to drop in an inevitable Steam Sale before deciding whether to buy or not.

Xyphie

Honestly, the game has pretty much everything stacked against it. Atlus has already released like 3 big RPG games this year. Release schedule is stacked. Poor technical execution. No Switch SKU. Dumbass title. They should've just delayed it into 2025 and launched with a Switch 2 SKU.

cireza

Honestly, the game has pretty much everything stacked against it. Atlus has already released like 3 big RPG games this year. Release schedule is stacked. Poor technical execution. No Switch SKU. Dumbass title. They should've just delayed it into 2025 and launched with a Switch 2 SKU.
They will port it for sure.

BlackTron

I saw a few commercials for this game while watching Paramount+ the other day which is a lot more commercials than I saw for...any other game. I didn't pay attention to the platforms, I just assumed it was a PS4 game...they could have put a Xbox logo there and I'd still have to check now to see if it's on Xbox, lol

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

laynelane

Why did Microsoft buy marketing rights for this game?

There has been speculation that marketing rights for Sega/Atlus games are part of this:

Whether this strategic alliance includes marketing rights is never explicitly stated, though. It could be something as simple as Xbox wanting to expand their repertoire and being willing to pay for it. Hard to say, really.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
It'll be fine lol. Most JRPG fans interested in Metaphor are aware it will be available on other platforms too. If the game turns out to be great (and my 11 hours spent in the prologue certainly suggest it will) then word of mouth will help drive its sales.

cireza

It would be suicide, not happening
No wonder none of you guys are managing companies. What's the point of investing all your money on marketing for consoles where you already have your largest market share ? Obviously SEGA/Atlus are trying to expand their market on consoles/pc where there is the largest possible growth. And hopefully/probably succeeding as their efforts have been constant.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
A vocal minority thinks this stupid thing and therefore it's true.

Does it make.mlt sense to advertise for the biggest platform? Yes. I just don't think this is the game they will move the needle either way. People that want it will find it on their platform or choice.

Astray

It'll be fine lol. Most JRPG fans interested in Metaphor are aware it will be available on other platforms too. If the game turns out to be great (and my 11 hours spent in the prologue certainly suggest it will) then word of mouth will help drive its sales.
I checked and the game seems to be doing ok in PSN US/UK preorders. The regular edition is top 10 in both markets as it stands rn, it's also top 10 in my local region too.

I'd be shocked if it does as much as P3R did on launch week tho, the marketing for that one was with Xbox too, but it wasn't anywhere near as restrictive as this contract. Persona is also a known quantity at this point, so there are dedicated fans that would make-up for any loss in awareness

Like you could find P3R trailers arriving very quickly on the PS channel after 1-2 days pass, conversely, it's been almost a complete blackout for Metaphor.

Sony did have it on their floor for TGS tho, Idk if that's something that's been planned for a while, or if they're seeing soft preorders in Japan tho.

Last edited:

Esppiral

If you don't create a fanbase your games/genre won't sell, remember when Japanese companies were reluclant to bring overseas jrp's because they don't sell? oh the ironi.

mejin

Persona took time to be a mainstream ip.

In any case, game seems solid and if it doesn't have a big start I'd say is cause this period of the year is stacked.

Xbox marketing is as good as any 3rd party dev for Playstation.

Like if it would need some sort of marketing from the PS5 userbase. If anything it’s smart fort Atlus to grab the cash from MS and build new players from its userbase

Last edited:

Three

Like if it would need some sort of marketing from the PS5 user ase. If anything it’s smart fort Atlus to grab the cash from MS and build new players from its userbase
I think the tweet in the OP is making the case for the opposite effect. As in it is doing harm to the game since people seem to believe it's xbox exclusive so don't really care about the ads for the game that they see. meaning the xbox associated advertising might be harming its chances on other platforms that more people own. There may be some truth to that but it's a wierd thing to insinuate from that simple tweet.

Astray

I think the tweet in the OP is making the case for the opposite effect. As in it is doing harm to the game since people seem to believe it's xbox exclusive so don't really care about the ads for the game that they see. meaning the xbox associated advertising might be harming its chances on other platforms that more people own. There may be some truth to that but it's a wierd thing to insinuate from that simple tweet.
A lot of PS-only or Switch-only players don't follow Xbox conferences and showcases (and why would they?).

Very strange decision to make this deal for a brand new franchise they want to develop into a pillar rather than a series that's already well-known but needs expanding to new audiences.

For Xbox this deal makes perfect sense, they want to have this sort of historical association with hit or beloved franchises like PS or Nintendo have. This is work that should have been done years ago tbh.

Last edited:

Woopah

A lot of PS-only or Switch-only players don't follow Xbox conferences and showcases (and why would they?).

Very strange decision to make this deal for a brand new franchise they want to develop into a pillar rather than a series that's already well-known but needs expanding to new audiences.

For Xbox this deal makes perfect sense, they want to have this sort of historical association with hit or beloved franchises like PS or Nintendo have. This is work that should have been done years ago tbh.
I imagine MS was willing to pay more. They need this stuff more than Sony.

Astray

I imagine MS was willing to pay more. They need this stuff more than Sony.
And if this game manages to be a massive success with better-than-average sales split on Xbox, then it will be a massive success for them.

For Sega/Atlus, the main issue is whether the game actually sells enough on PS or PC to make back its dev costs. Which feels like being on the more expensive side of Atlus JRPGs, a lot of the monsters are brand new designs that don't really fit into Persona, and the game took something like 8 years to develop.

cireza

As in it is doing harm to the game since people seem to believe it's xbox exclusive
This was done a ton by Sony, but thankfully, this is not the 90s anymore. Information is easier to access than ever. Nobody will be fooled. PS players know very well that the game is coming on their consoles.

Last edited:

Zacfoldor

Well to be fair Xbox is kinda a dying brand. As a software company I certainly wouldn't want my new game's commercial to only show an Xbox logo at the end. I want Playstation on there too, at least.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The combat is almost identical but the game isn't about high school teens nor is it set in a modern setting.

just played the full demo on steam and its close enough. very flashy all over the place in terms of presentation. You join an army ( a CLASS so to speak) you are a group of KIDS. very little exploration, very little actual gameplay in the demo, 90% cutscenes but that is modern jrpgs for the first part of the game so I wont knock it too much. I am going to pass on it though as the gameplay inst very fun with all the crazy graphics and menus every 5 secs filling the screen.

Also that blue haired girl with a stylish 60s British plaid coat , matching shoes, and a hair band is a boy!? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Metaphor-Refantazio-3.png

IMG_6535.jpeg

Last edited:

Three

This was done a ton by Sony, but thankfully, this is not the 90s anymore.
Yes yes, let your Sony hate run through you.

Information is easier to access than ever. Nobody will be fooled. PS players know very well that the game is coming on their consoles.

Then why have marketing tied to a particular console at all to begin with? Because it works to a degree. Hence why MS has to do petty shit like tweet what games from some other showcases are also on their console or run "fragrance" ads, or, get this, even try and withhold that information from the public for this game with an embargo:

What a completely useless and stupid move by Xbox in the 2020s, right?
I wonder what sort of impression they are trying to give with moves like this since it doesn't fool anyone since the 90s according to you. People aren't constantly searching for info. They can be exposed to only some, form their beliefs, then not show any further interest in seeking information based on the fact that they've absorbed prior information on it already.

cireza

Yes yes, let your Sony hate run through you.

Then why have marketing tied to a particular console at all to begin with? Because it works to a degree. Hence why MS has to do petty shit like tweet what games from some other showcases are also on their console or run "fragrance" ads, or, get this, even try and withhold that information from the public for this game with an embargo:

What a completely useless and stupid move by Xbox in the 2020s, right?
I wonder what sort of impression they are trying to give with moves like this since it doesn't fool anyone since the 90s according to you. People aren't constantly searching for info. They can be exposed to only some, form their beliefs, then not show any further interest in seeking information based on the fact that they've absorbed prior information on it already.
Supposing you are right, then you have no issue reproaching MS something that Sony have been doing for 30 years for the exact reasons you are advancing.

Last edited:

Three

Supposing you are right, then you have no issue reproaching MS something that Sony have been doing for 30 years for the exact reasons you are advancing.
I'm not the one who gives a shit about that. That's you. I'm only showing you that it's designed to give the impression that it's only on that platform and that some who do not research it further go on to believe it is and lose interest. It works to a degree and it's not a 90s thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom