• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fans are worried Metaphor won't sell well because Xbox is heavily promoting it

Like if it would need some sort of marketing from the PS5 userbase. If anything it’s smart fort Atlus to grab the cash from MS and build new players from its userbase
Let me get this straight... do not market the game where the majority of the players (especially those into JRPGs and Japanese games in general) are, but instead market where no one gives a fuck...

Bold strategy Cotton...

MayauMiao

Atlus likely has a marketing deal with Xbox for the promotion of Metaphor: ReFantazio, meaning the Xbox release is being promoted more visibly than the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 versions of the game.

Must be some money laundering going on here.

MMaRsu

just played the full demo on steam and its close enough. very flashy all over the place in terms of presentation. You join an army ( a CLASS so to speak) you are a group of KIDS. very little exploration, very little actual gameplay in the demo, 90% cutscenes but that is modern jrpgs for the first part of the game so I wont knock it too much. I am going to pass on it though as the gameplay inst very fun with all the crazy graphics and menus every 5 secs filling the screen.

Also that blue haired girl with a stylish 60s British plaid coat , matching shoes, and a hair band is a boy!? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Metaphor-Refantazio-3.png

IMG_6535.jpeg
Knocking a rpg for having too many cutscenes in the beginning 😂 Yeah sure kid you played the demo

MMaRsu

I'd be shocked if it does as much as P3R did on launch week tho,

One is a long awaited remake for a fan favorite game

One is a new IP

Ofcourse it wont do P3R numbers

Must be some money laundering going on here.

No need to advertise on the biggest platform where your fans already are, but to advertise where you have the highest possibility to expand.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

Yeah BG3 did terrible didn't it.
BG3 had the success it had because of the AAA cinematic storytelling and amazing voice acting and its based on a very beloved IP

How many turn based rpgs had that success , why didnt their previous game (divinity original sin 2) had that success

when you have a game like persona or even a western rpg that involves alot of reading its gonna put people off sadly , most gamers prefer visual stimulation , its far easier to remember a story from cinematics than from a wall of text

the type of combat is irrelevant , just look at Final fantasy 16 , a fun devil may cry type combat and it didnt sold very well

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
BG3 had the success it had because of the AAA cinematic storytelling and amazing voice acting and its based on a very beloved IP

How many turn based rpgs had that success , why didnt their previous game (divinity original sin 2) had that success

when you have a game like persona or even a western rpg that involves alot of reading its gonna put people off sadly , most gamers prefer visual stimulation , its far easier to remember a story from cinematics than from a wall of text

the type of combat is irrelevant , just look at Final fantasy 16 , a fun devil may cry type combat and it didnt sold very well
Not sure if you are agreeing with me or not, you seem to contradict yourself a few times there.

The Persona series has sold upwards of 20 million worldwide so........................................

Turn based or not, make a game that's a banger and people will buy it.

FF16 isn't a very good action game nor a good RPG imo , maybe it gets better but I lost interest very quickly

Last edited:

pasterpl

About Metaphor
It incorporates multiple gameplay systems previously used in prior Atlus role-playing games, featuring a hybrid system that mixes the traditional Press Turn-based battle mechanics during initiated encounters and boss fights, with real-time action combat in the field.

Last edited:
Yeah BG3 would’ve been better if you mashed X for combat
I might play it if that was the case (assuming Diablo direction). I really hate inventory management in Western Action RPGs though...
I prefer Dark Alliance, Dark Alliance 2 for that reason.
It’s being worked on

Turn based or not, make a game that's a banger and people will buy it.
samoilaaa samoilaaa was implying this specific thing, unfortunately, doesn’t always happen. Some good games simply miss their audience due to a combination of factors.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Knocking a rpg for having too many cutscenes in the beginning 😂 Yeah sure kid you played the demo

Too many before you can even control your player. Then you run across a desert and then a ton more cutscenes. Then you walk down a street and a ton more cutscenes. And it's got that stupid mix of normal cutscenes and anime cartoon cutscenes. Loading screen .. loading screen loading screen.

It's a lot more than average toddler.

SHA

I'm already buying the game and it'll be a complete RPG all set in one game. The people that will buy it don't need any marketing.

Self fulfilling prophecy.

Gamers yesterday: Someone should market these games

Gamers today: But not THEM

Likewise

Gamers yesterday: We want more turn based RPGS

Gamers today: Ew turn based why can't they make something new this is boring.

There's age gap, don't take every word seriously.

Sorcerer

Does this game have the standard $300 (slight exaggeration) dollars in DLC that most Atlus games have on day one? Maybe that's what Microsoft is really after.

MMaRsu

Too many before you can even control your player. Then you run across a desert and then a ton more cutscenes. Then you walk down a street and a ton more cutscenes. And it's got that stupid mix of normal cutscenes and anime cartoon cutscenes. Loading screen .. loading screen loading screen.

The game is over 100 hour long. Long stretches without stuff like that. The dungeons etc.

finalflame

I'll admit that mostly due to the Reddit ads which very prominently display XBOX only in the branding that I figured it was exclusive. Stoked to find out it's x-platform tho.

Yah, I feel this. I'm still playing the demo (up to the mines right now I think?), but the pacing is rough. I'm fine with the cutscenes for the most part, but the loading screens are excessive and kill the pacing when taking in tandem with all the overt dialog. The story is compelling, though. Ultimately, I will prob end up falling off, just like P5. I enjoy a story-driven game as much as the next guy, but Atlus games are just full of way too much bullshit.

Last edited:
I think most of PS5 players are aware it's also coming to PS5.

No they aren't.

Why did Microsoft buy marketing rights for this game?

Same reason they did for P5 Reload: to counter Sony's FF exclusivity.

But now that it looks like FF exclusivity is ending, totally-no-longer-competing Microsoft should be able to let SEGA/Atlus mention PlayStation and Steam as platforms for upcoming Atlus games, right?

....right?

Not sure what the story is here, people are confused about an ad?
Steam even told me a demo was available, I'm sure the PS store will also have it visible when it can be purchased?

And for the people who don't have a PS5 yet that would've considered getting one for the game (likely among other games)?

Persona 5 has also sold like 10 million copies. So the playable market is just fine. Persona at this point is probably more popular then Final Fantasy.

Do you have any idea how many re-releases and editions of P5 there have been, and how many ports, to hit that 10 million?

Quite a bit. On a per-installment, per-platform basis, FF is still the bigger JRPG by far. Though I guess Steam sales for P5 Reload and FF XVI could be a good measure (considering they are both late ports).

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

1mil+ in a month and 2mil+ after 12 months will be good for a game like this I think and is very achieveable.

P3 Reload sold 1mil within the launch week and even if the Persona IP is strong that's the 4th release of the game.

I highly doubt they're chasing P5 numbers for this game and they would have budgeted accordingly considering it's a new IP.

Good reviews will help though in giving it legs.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I mean, when a PS3 game (P5) released what feels like ions ago looks way better, you sure done fucked it up. It's the worst looking Atlus game released tech wise and almost as bad as Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Even Soul Hackers 2 looks better most of the time.

I just don't get why can't they add modern lighting, SSAO, shadows etc. etc. which could've done wonders to this game's overall presentation and atmosphere without any RT even.

Last edited:

amigastar

No they aren't.

But now that it looks like FF exclusivity is ending, totally-no-longer-competing Microsoft should be able to let SEGA/Atlus mention PlayStation and Steam as platforms for upcoming Atlus games, right?

....right?

And for the people who don't have a PS5 yet that would've considered getting one for the game (likely among other games)?

Do you have any idea how many re-releases and editions of P5 there have been, and how many ports, to hit that 10 million?

Quite a bit. On a per-installment, per-platform basis, FF is still the bigger JRPG by far. Though I guess Steam sales for P5 Reload and FF XVI could be a good measure (considering they are both late ports).
How do you figure?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
How do you figure?

Tales from his ass.

Anyway, the marketing rights seem to be limited anyway, the game shows all platforms in its latest TV spots.

Plus like others have said, anyone who knew anything about the game would know what platforms its on. If someone doesn't even know what Metaphor is in the first place, it's not because it was only marketed for xyz platform.

Topher

Gold Member

....right?

If it ain't on Game Pass then I really don't see much point in marketing it for Xbox.

graywolf323

Tales from his ass.

Anyway, the marketing rights seem to be limited anyway, the game shows all platforms in its latest TV spots.

Plus like others have said, anyone who knew anything about the game would know what platforms its on. If someone doesn't even know what Metaphor is in the first place, it's not because it was only marketed for xyz platform.

that’s a Japanese TV ad, it’d be completely dumb for them to only mention Xbox

now the advertising in the West however doesn’t acknowledge the other platforms existence at all (Steam/PlayStation)

adamsapple

that’s a Japanese TV ad, it’d be completely dumb for them to only mention Xbox

now the advertising in the West however doesn’t acknowledge the other platforms existence at all (Steam/PlayStation)

That trailer literally begins with the xbox jingle, an obviously marketing branded trailer, why would it mention other platforms.

Like this Hogwarts Legacy playstation branded spot, it doesn't mention other platforms.

In both games cases, other trailers and social media etc do state other platforms. This is marketing rights 101.

Hohenheim

There's probably a few heavily autistic fans who actually worry about this, for sure.

As for the the other millions(?) of people who's gonna play this, I believe they have more important stuff to "worry" about.
They probably even understand that the game is a multiplat.

I hope the game is good btw! Looks quite rough, and that Steam demo had a few challenges... just like those "worried fans"

Begleiter

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out, actually. Consumers don't often do much to research purchases before making them, but if you consider where they're likely going to be buying (online) it's kind of hard to hide the other platforms.

Creating the illusion of having an exclusive is kind of obnoxious, though.

Astray

People are receiving game discs before Street date so expect leaks to happen

I hope the game is good btw! Looks quite rough, and that Steam demo had a few challenges... just like those "worried fans"
Steam Demo Performance has been quite improved after the latest patch. I removed the Special K mod with no issues this go-round.

Before that it used to fucking chug on a 7800X3D and 4090 combo!

Last edited:

adamsapple

It's going to sell poorly because the name is idiotic.

It's going to sell fine, don't expect an Atlus RPG To sell Red Dead 2 numbers. Their games are budgeted in a way that something like Persona 5 selling 1 million copies was a big milestone for them.

Comparatively, bigger Western game budgets are so over-bloated that a game isn't considered breaking even until it sells 3~5 million units.

Mr Moose

They are worried that Xbox promoting the Xbox version of the game heavily has led people to believe Metaphor: ReFantazio is an Xbox exclusive and isn't releasing on PlayStation.
I mean... That's what they are supposed to do?
Though define heavily. Actually, define marketing, Xbox is allergic to that.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Let's.be honest, Metaphor is tracking very well for a completely new IP, anime-styled JRPG.

Will it do Persona 5 numbers? No. But I bet it will still sell in the millions of copies and that's a big success for a JRPG not named Final Fantasy in 2024.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It's going to sell fine, don't expect an Atlus RPG To sell Red Dead 2 numbers. Their games are budgeted in a way that something like Persona 5 selling 1 million copies was a big milestone for them.

Comparatively, bigger Western game budgets are so over-bloated that a game isn't considered breaking even until it sells 3~5 million units.
Right, I think their expectation when developing this game was probably something in the 2 million range, not the 7-8 million that Persona 5 sold. P5 was this huge outlier for Atlus, nothing they released before that even cracked the million mark I don't think (P4 has since, but only because of the post P5 steam release)

Even post-P5, Shin Megami Tensei V sold like 1.5 million, and again they consider that a huge success. And that's in a very established franchise that is connected to Persona.

Now Metaphor is indeed probably the most expensive game Atlus has ever produced, almost 8 years of development, lots of expensive anime cutscenes, much larger world. But it's also pretty far from something like FF16 in terms of budget. So that's why I say that expectation might be in the 2 million range for this one -- that's actually quite ambitious for Atlus.

I think if the review scores are what we expect they're gonna be just fine.

Last edited:

SHA

There's wwe2k and other games with timed appreciation for these types of people, well, they'll eventually hate their own library either way so who cares.

Last edited:

Astray

Yeah playing the demo next to Persona 3 Reload had me scratching my head. The game is just constant visual noise.
The visuals and some design elements are almost surely not for everyone tbh.

I think this ends up being more of a cult hit than a big hit for various reasons.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Yeah playing the demo next to Persona 3 Reload had me scratching my head. The game is just constant visual noise.
Visual noise! That's an excellent way to describe it!

Just too much crazy flashing images and large transition graphics. It would be much better without them.

As I recall, Atlus started doing this with Xbox when P5 Royal was released. Out here in LA, I saw a good amount of advertising for it on the street just driving around. So this isn't too surprising to me.

Sure maybe it's a bit misguided as most fans of Atlus games are on PS and Nintendo but I just sort of see this as Xbox trying to garner the attention of people into Anime and such since it has grown into a pretty damn big market now and would be stupid to ignore. Sony usually has like Final Fantasy tied up with marketing deals, Nintendo has Pokemon and so this is like their effort to have a JRPG associated with their brand. I doubt it has the same amount of success as the other 2 but there it is. I don't see this as a negative.

How fast do you think it'll drop to around $40 USD? I'll buy it after the demo, but not for fucking $70. those in-game textures reminded me of the N64

Top Bottom