• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

iNvid02

I tried to switch to the Irish store but it didn't work, they just re-directed me to the UK one. I'm not sure what the deal is, I'm trying to pre-load now but can't find the link. Nothing on the uPlay client either.

I've got a 9 letter "digital rights" code from Ubi customer support which I presume unlocks the game. Maybe I can just use any client to install?

e. Ubisoft forums are useless. My guess is I won't be playing this weekend ._.

i think you enter that promo code over at ubishop.com during checkout, whether it adds a free copy to your cart or it changes the price for a copy already in your cart to 0.00 i dunno

but im pretty sure that code is entered on their store

Woo-Fu

Banned
I was referring to Far Cry 2. I would like to know about all these shooters that are more realistic (other than maybe Arma 2.)

Far Cry 2 wasn't even remotely realistic, lol. Realism is relative to reality, not to other games. Being marginally more realistic than many other games doesn't make your game realistic.

You're cherry-picking your realism, which I pointed out in my previous post. If you're going to bang that drum why are you only banging it for animal armor/HP? I listed just a handful from a very long list of unrealistic elements.

How are the developers supposed to know which elements of realism are important to you and which aren't?

Do you think you're representative of the majority of their market? If so, how would they know that and spend their dev time accordingly?

Copy arrived. :D

wRDYt.jpg

Going to do a 2 hour live stream sometime today and then loads of videos. Any requests for videos?

My PS3-version got shipped this morning.

Just got the game as well here in Holland.

Great first 5 minutes but the game has the same 16:9 issue that was present in Far Cry 2 on consoles, meaning that there are black bars present on the top and bottom. They are not huge but they are present.

Footos22

Ordered for my new laptop.
I7-3612Q
2GB Radeon HD 7730M
6 Gb RAM

Capable enough? even to get it looking better then my ps3 will be worth it.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just got the game as well here in Holland.

Great first 5 minutes but the game has the same 16:9 issue that was present in Far Cry 2 on consoles, meaning that there are black bars present on the top and bottom. They are not huge but they are present.

Goddamnit, it's out already? where did you get it?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Question about this game, its available in France today (Ive found that French game stores do not obey release dates, they seem to release them as soon as they get them in their shipments)

Anyway back on topic, its available in France, however, I assume this is a French copy. As I prefer to play my games in English, do you think there will be an install option where I can choose my language for this game (English)? Alternatively, would it be possible to register the game with steam then simply download the English version through steam, although I don't see it listed as a registered steam game which would make this impossible.

Lastly, if neither of these are possible, is there somewhere I can see on the back of the box all the available languages for download? I know when I installed games off of a cd back in Canada normally I'd have a multitude of languages to select from when first installing the game, I just want to make sure its the same here in Europe.
As someone moving to France soon, I'd like to know this as well.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Any tips on how we filthy US people can download the digital version when the UK unlocks it?

I bought it from Gamersgate a few weeks ago when they had the release date listed as 11/30, but now it changed to 12/4.

Maybe I should cancel that, buy it on Steam, then use a UK proxy to unlock it?

The thing is, it uses Uplay... which I might do it's own region check on top of the Steam region check.

beastmode

Far Cry 2 wasn't even remotely realistic, lol. Realism is relative to reality, not to other games. Being marginally more realistic than many other games doesn't make your game realistic.
Bullshit. This is what you're saying: "Far Cry 2 realistic relative to other games? That's wrong because Far Cry 2 isn't realistic relative to reality." It's nonsense.

You're cherry-picking your realism, which I pointed out in my previous post. If you're going to bang that drum why are you only banging it for animal armor/HP? I listed just a handful from a very long list of unrealistic elements.
Looks like they took the most insipid routes possible to make the game more palatable. (E.g. the ridiculous HUD elements everywhere)

How are the developers supposed to know which elements of realism are important to you and which aren't?

Do you think you're representative of the majority of their market? If so, how would they know that and spend their dev time accordingly?
I can't speak for anyone other than myself. That said, I think I have a pretty good understanding of what the makers of Far Cry 2 were trying to accomplish and where they succeeded/failed.

As for how better decisions could have been made? One possibility would be to keep as much of the Far Cry 2 team together as Valve did with Portal. Looking up the leads shows that none of them worked on it.

iNvid02

Any tips on how we filthy US people can download the digital version when the UK unlocks it?

I bought it from Gamersgate a few weeks ago when they had the release date listed as 11/30, but now it changed to 12/4.

Maybe I should cancel that, buy it on Steam, then use a UK proxy to unlock it?

The thing is, it uses Uplay... which I might do it's own region check on top of the Steam region check.

as far as i know uplay doesnt have release date check so you should be able to play as soon as you have the retail disc or digital version installed - excluding the steam version because it probably has steam's own protection.

you wont be able to use a UK proxy to unlock the steam version early either because AC3 and FC3 arent even on the UK store yet - ubi is trying to get out of an arrangement with a large UK retail chain, its probably gonna be a while.

if you really wanna play it early you gotta buy from the UK/EU version of greenmangaming, gamersgate etc as they'll let you download it on 28th/29th

Goddamnit, it's out already? where did you get it?

Dixons in Alkmaar.

His supervisor was mad at the person helping me the moment I walked out the store. Heard something along the lines of ''what did you do? That game was not supposed to be sold after Wednesday'

WIN! haha.

Man, I thought the Assassins Creed series had me going nuts with OCD like levels for things to do. Far Cry 3 takes it to the next level! HOLY MOLY!

Ledsen

Man, I thought the Assassins Creed series had me going nuts with OCD like levels for things to do. Far Cry 3 takes it to the next level! HOLY MOLY!

The more I hear about this stuff, the more worried I become. Fun, or meaningless bar-filling, number-upping, achievement-tailored nonsense?

sl4yor

Neo Member
Ok so I've been playing it on PC, only about 2 hours is, but damn this game is impressive. Im able to run it on high settings without too much trouble, playing on a gaming laptop 7970m, 12gigs of 1600, I7 3740.

The sound is amazing, the characters are amazing, and the main character is quite a blast to control, the feedback he gives to the player in regards to his breathing, talking to himself etc etc etc is quite enjoyable.

If anyone has any questions let me know, for one reason or another though, I'm unable to select direct x 11. No idea why, only 9 is available. Not sure why this is happening.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
if you really wanna play it early you gotta buy from the UK/EU version of greenmangaming, gamersgate etc as they'll let you download it on 28th/29th

Like I said, I bought the Gamersgate version a few weeks ago, because it had the release date as the 28th. It now says it's released on the 4th.

How is Gamersgate doing this? Are they checking my IP when I look at the store page, even though I have already purchased it? Could I access the Gamersgate site through a UK proxy on the UK release date and then it would allow me to download it? I can only imagine how long it would take to download the game through a UK proxy... does Gamersgate have a downloader for it's games?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok so I've been playing it on PC, only about 2 hours is, but damn this game is impressive. Im able to run it on high settings without too much trouble, playing on a gaming laptop 7970m, 12gigs of 1600, I7 3740.

The sound is amazing, the characters are amazing, and the main character is quite a blast to control, the feedback he gives to the player in regards to his breathing, talking to himself etc etc etc is quite enjoyable.

If anyone has any questions let me know, for one reason or another though, I'm unable to select direct x 11. No idea why, only 9 is available. Not sure why this is happening.

I have a question. How are you playing it on PC? Is it a EU retail copy, or digital?

nashb81

Neo Member

I think someone asked this before but how's the checkpoint system? Can you quick save?

The more I hear about this stuff, the more worried I become. Fun, or meaningless bar-filling, number-upping, achievement-tailored nonsense?

Why? This isn't a bad thing. Stick to the main story if you want to cut some of the access fat. There is just a TON of content in this game. That's apparent simple from the first hour or so.

sl4yor

Neo Member
I have a question. How are you playing it on PC? Is it a EU retail copy, or digital?

I live in France, game stores here, even micromania (the equivalent of Gamestop) don't obey release dates, once the game comes in they release it. It's a EU retail copy.

I think someone asked this before but how's the checkpoint system? Can you quick save?

Quick saving while a mission isn't active is possible, if you're currently on a mission it utilizes a checkpoint system.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Why? This isn't a bad thing. Stick to the main story if you want to cut some of the access fat. There is just a TON of content in this game.

Can't wait for your review.

Just saw the pc version being sold on my way home....It's moments like this I regret preordering games on steam......

iknowthatfeelbro.jpg

Could have got the game 2 days ago.

Lach

Just saw the pc version being sold on my way home....It's moments like this I regret preordering games on steam......

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I live in France, game stores here, even micromania (the equivalent of Gamestop) don't obey release dates, once the game comes in they release it. It's a EU retail copy.

Did the game need to use uPlay to activate online?

iNvid02

Like I said, I bought the Gamersgate version a few weeks ago, because it had the release date as the 28th. It now says it's released on the 4th.

How is Gamersgate doing this? Are they checking my IP when I look at the store page, even though I have already purchased it? Could I access the Gamersgate site through a UK proxy on the UK release date and then it would allow me to download it? I can only imagine how long it would take to download the game through a UK proxy... does Gamersgate have a downloader for it's games?

see if you can login to your account at gamersgate.co.uk using a UK proxy, if you can it might let you download the files on 29th.

and yeah, they have a downloader for non steam/origin games so once you have that saved to your PC you could disable the proxy and run it.

if not, then they probably just listed the wrong date for the US site and you gotta wait

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
see if you can login to your account at gamersgate.co.uk using a UK proxy, if you can it might let you download the files on 29th.

and yeah, they have a downloader for non steam/origin games so once you have that saved to your PC you could disable the proxy and run it.

if not, then they probably just listed the wrong date for the US site and you gotta wait

Great, thanks for the info.

beastmode

Why? This isn't a bad thing. Stick to the main story if you want to cut some of the access fat. There is just a TON of content in this game. That's apparent simple from the first hour or so.
The main story sounds even worse...

From an interview with the design lead on Far Cry 3: "You find cash, you find treasure chests, you’re going to find things that give you XP all over the place; there are going to be activities, shooting mini-games, racing mini-games." That kind of shit ruins the tone. Has no place in a sequel to Far Cry 2.

The main story sounds even worse...

From an interview with the design lead on Far Cry 3: "You find cash, you find treasure chests, you’re going to find things that give you XP all over the place; there are going to be activities, shooting mini-games, racing mini-games." That kind of shit ruins the tone. Has no place in a sequel to Far Cry 2.

The story still has it's place and even with these extra missions the story and ideas behind this game feel very engaging and serious. The opening moments really set that tone. Regardless, we play games to have fun. Far Cry 3 offers ALOT of fun and from seeing other reviews that pretty damn apparent. You don't like fun? Sure stay away from Far Cry 3 lol. I remember a day and age where people complained about a lack of content, now people complain about too much.

SJRB

Gold Member
iknowthatfeelbro.jpg

Could have got the game 2 days ago.

Yeah this is pretty fucked up. God knows when GMG is going to send out those codes. And appearantly there's no pre-load since it's not a Steamworks game.

Watch them crash the servers when half the world gets the codes tomorrow at midnight and tries to download the game.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Started the game on 360 finally. Noticed screen tearing already. :-\

Will put some videos up shortly.

Edit

Scratch that regarding the tearing. I had motion plus enabled on the LED which was causing it.

Top Bottom