• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

The main story sounds even worse...

From an interview with the design lead on Far Cry 3: "You find cash, you find treasure chests, you’re going to find things that give you XP all over the place; there are going to be activities, shooting mini-games, racing mini-games." That kind of shit ruins the tone. Has no place in a sequel to Far Cry 2.

How can you say that without playing it?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Add me to the body awareness in FPS fan club. Loved it in Mirror's Edge, Battlefield 3, Killzone 2/3, Crysis 1/2 and now Far Cry 3. I feel more immersed in the game when they do this.

Syndicate did it really well too. The game got a lot of shit because it was called Syndicate but it was an awesome FPS.

beastmode

Regardless, we play games to have fun. Far Cry 3 offers ALOT of fun and from seeing other reviews that pretty damn apparent. You don't like fun? Sure stay away from Far Cry 3 lol.
That might be the worst straw manning I've ever seen.
I remember a day and age where people complained about a lack of content, now people complain about too much.
He didn't complain about the amount of content.
How can you say that without playing it?
Uh by playing a huge number of games including Far Cry 2 and paying attention to what works and what doesn't? Are you expecting me to have played a game that isn't out yet?

That might be the worst straw manning I've ever seen.He didn't complain about the amount of content.Uh by playing a huge number of games including Far Cry 2 and paying attention to what works and what doesn't? Are you expecting me to have played a game that isn't out yet?

You just seem to be pretty negative in your outlook on Farcry 3 already. It's pretty apparent. Play the game and if you still feel these are issues, fair enough.

Uh by playing a huge number of games including Far Cry 2 and paying attention to what works and what doesn't?

How can you say that more content (optional) ruins the tone? What tone?

Why are those who have played the game not supporting your argument about the content ruining the tone of the game?

Nizz

Syndicate did it really well too. The game got a lot of shit because it was called Syndicate but it was an awesome FPS.
Yeah, I've heard about this. Going to have to try and play Syndicate sometime.

I have a question I'm hoping people with their hands on Far Cry 3 can answer. In Far Cry 2 on consoles, there was some very funky acceleration in the sticks. When I pushed the right stick to aim it felt like the movement wouldn't register then after a point suddenly movement kicked in. It made me over aim and constantly having to correct shots.

I played Far Cry 2 on PS3 but the 360 version had this issue too. Do controls in Far Cry 3 feel better?

KyleN

Banned
Played for about 10 hours so far. This game is crazy good and i have only done 2-3 story missions so far. Game of the year easy.

Picking up the insane edition tomorrow too for the dlc packs.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I had no attachment to the Syndicate name and was really excited for the game, but I ultimately found it rather disappointing. Definitely not up to the standards of Starbreezes's best work (though the team was also rather different).

Deadbeat

Banned
I had no attachment to the Syndicate name and was really excited for the game, but I ultimately found it rather disappointing. Definitely not up to the standards of Starbreezes's best work (though the team was also rather different).
Singleplayer was a disappointment but the Multiplayer Coop was great.

Played for about 10 hours so far. This game is crazy good and i have only done 2-3 story missions so far. Game of the year easy.

Picking up the insane edition tomorrow too for the dlc packs.

Sounds so good

So I have the $59.99 deluxe version preordered from amazon that comes with the following:

The Monkey Business Pack: Meet Hurk and his explosive bomb-carrying monkey in four heart-pounding missions and get two bonus ways to humiliate your friends in multiplayer
The Lost Expeditions: Discover the secrets of the island’s lost World War II ruins in two suspenseful action missions, and unlock the power of a shotgun in a one-handed flare gun in multiplayer.
The Warrior Pack: Strike fear in your enemies with an exclusive dagger and get an early unlock of the tattoo editor in multiplayer.
The Predator Pack: Hunt four ferocious animals with the M-700 Predator Rifle in single-player and silently kill opponents with the unlocked Predator Bow in multiplayer.

Reading into these descriptions you can kinda tell which really are exclusive to the deluxe and which aren't. The first two, monkey pack and lost expeditions sound like they could be exclusive because they're 6 total missions. The "unlock the power of a shotgun in a one-handed flare gun in multi" sounds like an early unlock.
The warrior pack sounds weak, the dagger is trivial, and the tattoo editor from the way they describe it sounds like another early unlock.
The prediator pack... not sure if the M-700 predator rifle is available in the regular edition, doesn't say unlock because it's for single-player. The predator bow sounds like an unlock.

the difference is 10 bucks, not 100% sure what to do. probably leaning towards the deluxe

beastmode

You just seem to be pretty negative in your outlook on Farcry 3 already. It's pretty apparent.
So? You seem to be pretty positive in regards to Far Cry 3. Would it be OK for me to write:

"Regardless, we play games to have fun. Far Cry 3 doesn't offer much fun and from seeing reviews, videos, and interviews that's pretty damn apparent. You don't like fun? Sure, play Far Cry 3 lol."

?
How can you say that more content (optional) ruins the tone? What tone?
To reiterate: the amount of content is not a problem.

The specific content in question being optional is irrelevant. If Half-Life 2 had a segment where you could optionally kill 10 dogs with an RPG for XP it would negatively impact the experience.

The tone? http://youtu.be/S--zR5BQAW0 Relatively intense verisimilitude. This sort of side content is more appropriate in your average MMO.
Why are those who have played the game not supporting your argument about the content ruining the tone of the game?
You don't become a professional games enthusiast by being a critical. I don't expect them to understand any of the nuances of Far Cry 2's design and why it hurts this game to turn its back on the principles behind them. This guy's argument is "I don't think it ruined the tone. You are wrong because you hate fun and have a negative outlook."

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Who the hell said there will be split-screen in the PC version?

666666qxuwj.png

So? You seem to be pretty positive in regards to Far Cry 3. Would it be OK for me to write:

"Regardless, we play games to have fun. Far Cry 3 doesn't offer much fun and from seeing reviews, videos, and interviews that's pretty damn apparent. You don't like fun? Sure, play Far Cry 3 lol."
"

I've played the game. Bitch and moan all you want, doesn't bother me. I also played Far Cry 2 and enjoyed it. Ohhh no... you act like there wasn't alot of content in Far Cry 2 or something. Was the tone ruined then? I give up.

Zeliard

I wonder how moddable this game will be on PC. Don't think Far Cry 2 really was. I'd be very interested in mods that spruce up the survivalist aspects and bring it more in line with STALKER.

SJRB

Gold Member
I wonder how moddable this game will be on PC. Don't think Far Cry 2 really was. I'd be very interested in mods that spruce up the survivalist aspects and bring it more in line with STALKER.

If FC2 was moddable someone would've fixed the respawn times of the outposts, enemy detection parameters and we all would be playing this game right now in anticipation of FC3.

legacyzero

Banned

666666qxuwj.png
Somebody posted a source in the first few pages. That would be a bummer if it wasn't true. And I'd feel like an ass because I've been telling GAFers that it was included.

Might have to research this.

Zeliard

If FC2 was moddable someone would've fixed the respawn times of the outposts, enemy detection parameters and we all would be playing this game right now in anticipation of FC3.

Some of the stuff I appreciated from FC2 is now gone, sadly, i.e. the weapon degradation/jamming and malaria mechanics. I know some people hated those but to me they just added to the sense that you're in a harsh, unforgiving environment and have to make do with what you have. I liked being forced to improvise when those things cropped up.

FC3 seems to dial back on that sort of thing a lot which is my #1 concern about the game.

I also really liked the buddy system. I really wish they had kept it and just built on it, especially since the characters now are supposed to be much more fleshed out. Adding a buddy system like FC2's on top of solid character writing would have been very effective in creating a sense of attachment.

beastmode

I've played the game. Bitch and moan all you want, doesn't bother me. I also played Far Cry 2 and enjoyed it. Ohhh no... you act like there wasn't alot of content in Far Cry 2 or something. Was the tone ruined then? I give up.
To reiterate: the amount of content is not a problem.
Playing the game is no excuse for shoddy arguments. Like this one: "bitch and moan all you want" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem. Here, I'll give it a shot: Games writer can't understand that the amount of content is irrelevant to discussion of its properties? Shocking.

And yes, things like "you have collected x amount of diamonds out of y" did run against the grain in Far Cry 2.

Lame, lame, and triple lame. More and more folks (like myself) have a PC hooked up to a big screen with a 360 or controller or two. Obviously the PC has a bit more work to do in this area with all the different performance characteristics of different displays and systems. But I just can't believe that it's that big a deal if it's in the 360 version already. Hate when devs do this.

iNvid02

is there a list of recent pc games that have split screen, i cant think of any off the top of my head. borderlands 2 didnt have it either

despire

Is there a significance difference between the console versions? Thinking of going for the PS3 version.

Have to wait till fucking Christmas though :(

beastmode

Some of the stuff I appreciated from FC2 is now gone, sadly, i.e. the weapon degradation/jamming and malaria mechanics. I know some people hated those but to me they just added to the sense that you're in a harsh, unforgiving environment and have to make do with what you have. I liked being forced to improvise when those things cropped up.

FC3 seems to dial back on that sort of thing a lot which is my #1 concern about the game.

I also really liked the buddy system. I really wish they had kept it and just built on it, especially since the characters now are supposed to be much more fleshed out. Adding a buddy system like FC2's on top of solid character writing would have been very effective in creating a sense of attachment.
I'm not sure on this but malaria was probably conceived of as a means to force the player into completing underground missions (in a natural way.) They're the only ones that involve civilians (important to see in order to convey that the situation involves more than just killers.) I don't think even a more thoughtful sequel to Far Cry 2 would include it if non-combatants are now part of the world sim.

However, some sort of disease system would be cool.

Playing the game is no excuse for shoddy arguments. Like this one: "bitch and moan all you want" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem. Here, I'll give it a shot: Games writer can't understand that the amount of content is irrelevant to discussion of its properties? Shocking.

And yes, things like "you have collected x amount of diamonds out of y" did run against the grain in Far Cry 2.

First off it's not a personal attack. If you want to complain, go for it. You might have this prerequisite (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/prerequisite See I can input links too) that games can't have extra content that has nothing to do with the overal tone and story, but It's mostly falling on deaf ears here. I surely never let anything such as extra content effect my thoughts on a game. It's extra. Plain and simple. Maybe if the extra content was of such a horrible quality, I could see it putting a stink on the overal game, but that's not the case on Far Cry 3. To each their own.

Ledsen

Why? This isn't a bad thing. Stick to the main story if you want to cut some of the access fat. There is just a TON of content in this game. That's apparent simple from the first hour or so.

Content for contents sake IS a bad thing. It's a game design philosophy that caters to OCD gamers and achievement hunters, doing stuff they don't enjoy simply to have the satisfaction of that "100%". Like in Assassin's Creed. If the content is good, fun, and meaningful, and not simply chasing dots on a map or "unlocking" stuff that should've been there from the beginning (I read that you unlock basic stuff like cooking a grenade in this?), it's great. Usually it's not. Now I'm not saying this is how it is in Far Cry 3, but your posts aren't very reassuring to me.

Zeliard

Interesting. Was thinking of messing around a bit with FC2 again before 3 comes out. Think I'll give this a shot.

I'm not sure on this but malaria was probably conceived of as a means to force the player into completing underground missions (in a natural way.) They're the only ones that involve civilians (important to see in order to convey that the situation involves more than just killers.) I don't think even a more thoughtful sequel to Far Cry 2 would include it if non-combatants are now part of the world sim.

However, some sort of disease system would be cool.

Well I'd want something world-appropriate for FC3, certainly, but I appreciate those sorts of mechanics that give you something else to consider and can force you to re-evaluate strategic planning as well as tactics if it crops up during combat.

Singleplayer was a disappointment but the Multiplayer Coop was great.
Truth, single player turned me off completely,
but i tried co-op soolo..got my butt handed to me, but kept at it, and solo'd 75% of that bad boy, one of the best fps i ever played. i hope farcry3 can replicate the feeling i got owning everything.

I am actually glad this caters towards Stealth players as well. I can now finally hide in the bushes when an enemy vehicle approaches and I will not be spotted. That is something that bothered the hell out of me in Far Cry 2.

beastmode

First off it's not a personal attack. If you want to complain, go for it. You might have this prerequisite (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/prerequisite See I can input links too) that games can't have extra content that has nothing to do with the overal tone and story, but It's mostly falling on deaf ears here. I surely never let anything such as ["]extra["] content effect my thoughts on a game. It's extra. Plain and simple. Maybe if the extra content was of such a horrible quality, I could see it putting a stink on the overal game, but that's not the case on Far Cry 3. To each their own.
I didn't say it was a personal attack. You're "personally against an opponent, instead of against the opponent's argument." Saying nothing relevant to the arguments put forth while accusing someone of "hating fun" & "bitching and moaning" constitutes "an attack on the bias of a source. This is fallacious because a disposition to make a certain argument does not make the argument false; this overlaps with the genetic fallacy (an argument that a claim is incorrect due to its source)."

You have no regard for anything in a game you aren't forced to do? I think that speaks for itself. (Which is false anyway, there is no way to avoid the HUD or XP)

Top Bottom