• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Crafting system is so good in this game. It really makes the game more immersive.
The crafting is the opposite of immersive. It's absolute gamey.

Goat leather can't hold 3 weapons but tiger leather can? That's absurd.
Being able to create a syringe on the fly after picking up two flowers is also not immersive.

A game that does picking flowers and creating medicine from it better is Miasmata. You find out in books what flowers are known for medical effects, then you find some that fit the pattern and study them under a microscope to be sure you got the right one and then you process it further for later use.

I think it's a fine gameplay choice but calling it immersive is wrong.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Crafting system is so good in this game. It really makes the game more immersive.

Thats stretching it a bit, considering all you are doing really is just simple inventory space expansion, medical items and the special arrows.

Id say its a nice addition but not really on the level of being "immersive".

SJRB

Gold Member
A quick tip regarding crafting: when something required deer hides, the game actually means antelope hides.

I've spent quite some time looking for deer to skin, but it turns out all I had to do was take down some antelope.

Zeliard

"Immersive" is applicable if you're referring to the act of hunting itself feeling immersive and having tangible in-world benefits.

No, it doesn't make sense that a shark skin wallet can carry more money than a pig hide wallet, but I at least appreciate that hunting results in something immediately beneficial along with being enjoyable in and of itself.

Ledsen

Crafting system is horrible. Most contrived crafting I've ever seen in a game. Just give me all the slots and stuff from the beginning instead of making me do all this busywork. Unlocking stronger weapons as you progress is fine, but all this inventory nonsense doesn't contribute anything to my experience beyond forcing me to do all this side stuff to acquire basic functionality (such as carrying more than one weapon) before starting the game proper.

The side quests also consist of "race 1-50", "assassinate guy in small group of other guys 1-50" etc, instead of having fewer quests but with unique premises. It's all trademark UbiSoft content padding. I've only played like 5 hours but I can already see the content in this game has been copy-pasted to hell and back.

It's making me not want to explore, because I know that even if I travel all the way across the island the only thing I will find is another red buggy to race towards pulsating yellow circles.

Thats stretching it a bit, considering all you are doing really is just simple inventory space expansion, medical items and the special arrows.

Id say its a nice addition but not really on the level of being "immersive".

i think he meant the gathering of the crafting ingredients more so than the actual crafting.

iNvid02

the handbook entries sounded a lot like shaun hastings

3y7Kjh.jpg

HOhMPh.jpg

Locke_211

This has an absolutely brilliant opening.

But I'm playing on Hard and it's really Hard! A group of enemies can kill me really quickly. Perhaps I should turn auto-aim back on!

What sort of stuff would people suggest doing first? I've liberated the first Outpost and the next main mission is way West. I've upgraded so I can carry two weapons, but run out of ammo fairly quickly.

Zeliard

Crafting system is horrible. Most contrived crafting I've ever seen in a game. Just give me all the slots and stuff from the beginning instead of making me do all this busywork. Unlocking weapons is fine, but all this inventory nonsense doesn't contribute anything to my experience beyond forcing me to do all this side stuff to acquire basic functionality (such as carrying more than one weapon) before starting the game proper.

The idea is to incentivize hunting and crafting by giving the player rewards that aren't so critical that they're absolutely forced to craft, but do ultimately add great benefit and push the player into exploring the wild.

Of course it's completely arbitrary in its design, but as long as you can suspend your disbelief, the crafting system is well-considered and certainly compares favorably to the laughably imbalanced or useless collectathon-driven "crafting" systems we frequently see.

The side quests also consist of "race 1-50", "assassinate guy in small group of other guys 1-50" etc, instead of having fewer quests but with unique premises. It's all trademark UbiSoft content padding.

There's nothing special about your objectives in the game. The fun and interest comes from the journey to that objective and the sorts of random elements that can crop up. You're slowly stalking some captain and his crew and are about to unleash your attack, and all of a sudden a tiger jumps out of the bush and starts mauling them, doing most of your work for you.

STALKER never had particularly interesting objectives either - kill this guy, find these documents, etc. The highlights came when you were on your way to something relatively innocuous and something crazy just emerges from the world design. The random world elements and their synergy with what you can do is where the interest lies - the emergent gameplay, basically.

After several hours in FC3, my main problem with it still remains what it was even pre-release - the removal of some of the harsh survival elements. That's where it can risk feeling repetitive after a long while, because there's less of a random chance of something going wrong for you on a mission and forcing you to improvise. I definitely miss those mechanics a lot; hopefully mods can add it back in one form or another.

Ledsen

Another thing that really bugs me is how they constantly remind me that I'm playing a game. They don't even pretend like they've created anything else but a giant theme park filled with FUN rides. Immersion is secondary, or even undesirable. "Hey, you finished this objective! There are 40 in total but now you have finished 12 of them! Why don't you do them all, they are marked on your little map with appropriate icons! Press Start now to see the tutorial on how to do them! Also let me put this helpful yellow dot that you can go towards, you don't have to think! After all, this is a video game, not the real world, didn't you notice? Also, you just got +10 XP for killing that man in red clothes! You'll know he's an enemy because he has RED CLOTHES! Isn't this FUN? Isn't this a FUN GAME? If you want more information on how to have FUN, just press Start! Also, you can enter this GLOWING VEHICLE and say YES to the PROMPT to start a RACE, then simply follow the YELLOW CIRLCE! FUN! Is that Donald Duck over there? Go say hi and we'll let you cut in line for the next ride!"

Divius

Still having the glitch/bug where I don't see any crosshairs on my scopes, anyone else?

Sniping is rather hard like this.

lilltias

The crafting is the opposite of immersive. It's absolute gamey.

Goat leather can't hold 3 weapons but tiger leather can? That's absurd.
Being able to create a syringe on the fly after picking up two flowers is also not immersive.

A game that does picking flowers and creating medicine from it better is Miasmata. You find out in books what flowers are known for medical effects, then you find some that fit the pattern and study them under a microscope to be sure you got the right one and then you process it further for later use.

I think it's a fine gameplay choice but calling it immersive is wrong.

No, it's not wrong to call it immersive. A gamey game is almost always more immersive to me. Realism does not equal a more immersive game yo. To be fair, it's all subjective in the end.

Another thing that really bugs me is how they constantly remind me that I'm playing a game. They don't even pretend like they've created anything else but a giant theme park filled with FUN rides. Immersion is secondary, or even undesirable. "Hey, you finished this objective! There are 40 in total but now you have finished 12 of them! Why don't you do them all, they are marked on your little map with appropriate icons! Press Start now to see the tutorial on how to do them! Also let me put this helpful yellow dot that you can go towards, you don't have to think! After all, this is a video game, not the real world, didn't you notice? Also, you just got +10 XP for killing that man in red clothes! You'll know he's an enemy because he has RED CLOTHES! Isn't this FUN? Isn't this a FUN GAME? If you want more information on how to have FUN, just press Start! Also, you can enter this GLOWING VEHICLE and say YES to the PROMPT to start a RACE, then simply follow the YELLOW CIRLCE! FUN! Is that Donald Duck over there? Go say hi and we'll let you cut in line for the next ride!"

Do you like the game?

SJRB

Gold Member

You sound bitter.

Unless you haven't seen any footage whatsoever, none of this should come as a surprise to you.

Ledsen

Do you like the game?

I want to like it, and many parts I do like, but it's trying very very hard not to let me. Why?

You sound bitter.

Unless you haven't seen any footage whatsoever, none of this should come as a surprise to you.

I was hoping the videos gave the wrong impression, and that the final game would not be first-person Assassin's Creed. At least AC has the "it's actually a game within the game" gimmick to fall back on.

This might be a bit of an overreaction.

This sort of game design has been bugging me for a long time. It's frustrating when a game that was trying to steer away from that (FC2) was pulled back in the same direction.

What counts as a "melee kill"? One of the skills I want requires 3 melee kills to unlock. The counter shows that I have 2 out of 3 but Takedowns don't register as kills on the counter nor do animal kills with the machete.

the handbook entries sounded a lot like shaun hastings

3y7Kjh.jpg

HOhMPh.jpg

Can we find said lab though? :D

This sort of game design has been bugging me for a long time. It's frustrating when a game that was trying to steer away from that (FC2) was pulled back in the same direction.

I understand your frustration but for every one person that love FC2, there are probably 5 or 10 more that hated it due to those things! This stuff in FC3 will invetiable help sell the game. It's more "user friendly" so to speak.

Ledsen

There's nothing special about your objectives in the game. The fun and interest comes from the journey to that objective and the sorts of random elements that can crop up. You're slowly stalking some captain and his crew and are about to unleash your attack, and all of a sudden a tiger jumps out of the bush and starts mauling them, doing most of your work for you.

STALKER never had particularly interesting objectives either - kill this guy, find these documents, etc. The highlights came when you were on your way to something relatively innocuous and something crazy just emerges from the world design. The random world elements and their synergy with what you can do is where the interest lies - the emergent gameplay, basically.

This is the same argument I always use to defend FC2. Only, in FC2, a big part of what made the emergent elements work so well was the synergy they had with the overarching goal of immersing the player in a hostile world, and trusting that they would find their own fun without being guided to it. There seems to be no such goal in FC3.

I understand your frustration but for every one person that love FC2, there are probably 5 or 10 more that hated it due to those things! This stuff in FC3 will invetiable help sell the game. It's more "user friendly" so to speak.

This is all true, and I suppose I knew that before buying the game. But I overestimated my ability to look past it.

This is all true, and I suppose I knew that before buying the game. But I overestimated my ability to look past it.
Yeah... the glowing things really, really annoy the SHIT out of me! Though I've gotten used to it now. All Ubi has to do is an update that lets us disable some of that stuff! come on Ubisoft!

Nekrono

I think you may be overreacting or taking the game too seriously, maybe both. What you are complaining about is really hard to achieve for most games, especially for Far Cry since its never felt the opposite way of what you say. Sure it'd be nice I guess but regardless you ARE playing a videogame after all.

Seems like your expectations from the game were a bit high, I don't think anyone ever expects too much from Far Cry games, especially not since Ubisoft took it or after FC2, hell for most people FC3 was under the radar until now.

Like you said, it very well might be a theme park with a lot of dumb shit/cool stuff to do so take a sit and simply enjoy the ride!

Brewer

Neo Member

This.

And where do I find goats?

chogidogs

Just picked this up today and spent 7 hours straight playing it. My OCD kicks in an I can't start any new story missions unless I've cleared out a reasonable amount of the map surrounding the areas where I'll do story stuff. Sounds like a loooooooong ways to go.

Ledsen

Just curious. You seem so hatefull.

I certainly don't hate the game, in fact like I said, I enjoy many elements of it. I'm just annoyed and disappointed in the direction they went with the franchise. There's an amazing, immersive, oppressive open world game hiding under all that... video game stuff. Those conventions, that traditionalistic thinking.

lilltias

I certainly don't hate the game, in fact like I said, I enjoy many elements of it. I'm just annoyed and disappointed in the direction they went with the franchise. There's an amazing, immersive, oppressive open world game hiding under all that... video game stuff. Those conventions, that traditionalistic thinking.

Ait. Cool and fair enough! It's all video game "stuff" though ;)

SJRB

Gold Member

In a way I agree with you that the game seems to have two personalities. In one hand you have a game that depicts sheer brutality - people getting hanged, executed for no reason. It's a bleak, dire and gritty situation on this extremely colorful tropical island.

On the other hand you have all these "game-y" mechanics like XP, onscreen indicators, start-menu crafting.

For me personally it works and I'm having the best time, but when compared to Far Cry 2 this game is way more arcade-ish in nature.

I had a feeling it would be this way. It's probably good for most gamers who need that kind of direction. It is a bit of a shame that they made such great strides in FC2 to reduce a lot of that overt video game nonsense, but had to abandon it for whatever reason.

Riposte

This game is pretty rad so far. I turned off music since it doesn't seem good. While I liked what I've played, I'm worried that there will be a lack of environmental and enemy changes for the long haul.

I also miss the UI stuff from FC2.

EDIT: Two highlights: wondering into a water cave terrified of crocs (there were none) and getting into a car for the first time and just driving like a complete mad man, finally crashing into a lake. The way this game does caves is amazing.

Jesus Christ. Getting this game installed was a major fucking pain. Nearly a fucking hour to unzip then install (during this time my PC was so slow I could do fuck all else thanks to either GMG or Ubisoft) and now I have to deal with fucking Uplay. This is the perfect example of what pisses me off about PC gaming. The game had better be worth it!

PS And the first thing I get is a fucking update of 258MB! Fuck sake! I go to work at 5am so I'm in bed by ten and it's nearly 9pm already!! I detest day 1 patches - a sign the game was not ready at launch!

beastmode

a) What is the notion that so many people hated Far Cry 2's presentation based on? Reviews consistently mentioned it as one of Far Cry 2's strengths.

b) Why should someone want this game to sell more at the expense of what made Far Cry 2 great? (Consider that FC2 shipped almost 3 million copies before the end of '08.)

a) What is the notion that so many people hated Far Cry 2's presentation based on? Reviews consistently mentioned it as one of Far Cry 2's strengths.

b) Why should someone want this game to sell more at the expense of what made Far Cry 2 great? (Consider that FC2 shipped almost 3 million copies before the end of '08.)

A. Not all of Far Crys 2 strengths were considered strengths by the majority of people. Those that could see what they were going for and appreciate it had one hell of an experience. Other simple hated it for it.

B. With the backlash that FC 2 had, and it did have it. I think they want to show people they fixed some of the problems 2 had. Problem is the "problems" were not neccesarily a problem depending who you asked.

Just my 2 cents.

Woo-Fu

Banned
This is the perfect example of what pisses me off about PC gaming. The game had better be worth it!

In other words this is what pisses you off about Ubisoft, not about PC gaming.

There are many other publishers/developers that don't put you through those sorts of hassles. Day 1 updates, on the other hand, aren't platform specific.

Sethos

Banned
It's SO annoying when I'm driving around, doing something and then I get close to a mission objective. It then assumes I'm on that missions despite being pretty far away and gives me the message "Return to the objective bla bla" and if I get too far away I fail and it autoloads somewhere close. So it forces me to do the mission.

Bullshit.

beastmode

A. Not all of Far Crys 2 strengths were considered strengths by the majority of people. Those that could see what they were going for and appreciate it had one hell of an experience. Other simple hated it for it.
So your assertion is based on nothing?

B. With the backlash that FC 2 had, and it did have it. I think they want to show people they fixed some of the problems 2 had. Problem is the "problems" were not neccesarily a problem depending who you asked.
You can't fix "problems" that are integral to the experience. Not all games need to be made for all gamers. (It's not like there's a shortage of games for the sort of person who can't appreciate Far Cry 2, either.)

AEREC

Planning on getting the PC version...but curious how uplay will work with my shitty wifi connection that loses connection every once in a while.

If my connection drops during the game will it boot me out?

Top Bottom