• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Definity

Love the signature weapon you unlock when you clear all the radio towers! That's one thing I love about the game. You unlock things for progress on side missions.

ironcreed

Banned
Yes. I know there is a good chunk of fans for FC2 and some of the appraches to gameplay. It was a flawed gem in alot of ways. Far Cry 3 is much more accessible and user friendly without being a total turd of a entry in the series. It takes some things away but "most" of those things are what people didn't like about Far Cry 2. I still think 3 could have some things tweaked but as far as the series progression, I feel this is one of few third entries to a game series that feels like stepping more foward then backwards.

Yeah, I actually had a great time with Far Cry 2, but it still fell just short of me ever wanting to play it again because of the ridiculous respawning checkpoints, the horrible fast travel system and the malaria. These elements just sapped the fun right out and got in the way of the amazing world for me. Good riddance to that shit.

Nekrono

I don't know what's up with all this talk about Jason being a douchebag or not being a deep-cool character. The characters in this game are better and more rememberable than the average shooter and most definitely than the military shooter, sure it seems a bit weird that one moment you're one badass motherfucker taking out bases and doing shit that probably only Rambo is able to do and the next moment you're being disgusted by skinning animals or not knowing what yo do next and putting out really stupid lines but in all honesty the game seems a bit self aware in this regard and it was possibly intentional.

I haven't beaten the game yet and I'm about 10 hours in and so far I like it and its refreshing in both gameplay and story.

If you were hoping for deep characters your expectations were a bit off since the only character that was worth having somewhat 'high' expectations for was Vaas.

iumogg

Neo Member
Since it's the official release date in US. I'll post my video review since it was late the other day when I posted. My reviews are def not for everyone though but my small GAF fanbase will enjoy. No major spoilers. Some cool footage. Game is rock solid imo. Anxiously awaiting to see what other gaf members think of Far Cry 3.

Really enjoyed that. Very well done. Now my work day just got slower.

Andrew.

Banned
To be fair, Derrick is a huge Far Cry fan and was really excited for this. Of course he may end up hating it for not being enough like Far Cry 2, which I think is probably a very good thing for most of us.

Der pretty much hates fucking everything. Are you serious? I've never seen that dude be 100% positive about anything. He one of the few that really brings down this whole forums good natured and fair vibe. It's always an extreme relief to me when he's out of here.

And besides the screen tearing (which ill get adjusted to) this game is delivering. The music is excellent. I'm just fucking around right now collecting plants and exploring.

ironcreed

Banned
Der pretty much hates fucking everything. Are you serious? I've never seen that dude be 100% positive about anything. He one of the few that really brings down this whole forums good natured and fair vibe. It's always an extreme relief to me when he's out of here.

LOL, he was very excited for this game, though. That is all I am saying. Will he end up hating it? Who knows (probably)?

Really enjoyed that. Very well done. Now my work day just got slower.

Thank you sir. Definetly seems to be a love or hate. I've had some on GAF HATEEEEEEEEEEE them with a passion and turn them off even (well that's what they at least responded with) but then I have others such as yourself that enjoy them! :D I was doing very informative longer reviews but they were very... what's the word... typical. So I decided to mix it up a bit overall and I'm getting good feedback on my channel.

Does this run better on the ps3 or 360? I know everyone would say computer but mine would never be able to run it.

From what I've been told the PS3 version is a bit worse.. but I'm just going by word of mouth. 360 version seems to run pretty solid at most times but you will notice the drops. Has it killed my fun with the game, not at all! I also installed mine if that makes a difference, I don't know.

Riposte

I had thought that at some point your character wouldn't be disgusted by skinning animals. I guess that is not true? (Not playing the game right now, because of other priorities.)

EDIT: I hate the main character's name because I just think about this and this.

Martial

Neo Member
From what I've been told the PS3 version is a bit worse.. but I'm just going by word of mouth. 360 version seems to run pretty solid at most times but you will notice the drops. Has it killed my fun with the game, not at all! I also installed mine if that makes a difference, I don't know.

Thanks I'll pick up the 360 version. At least then I can also loan it to my brother. Thanks again!

Loudninja

Far Cry 3′s High Tides DLC Sails to PS3 in January
Hey, gamers! The studio that brought you Far Cry 3’s online experience is preparing something big to kick off the new year: the co-op DLC pack, High Tides, exclusively on PS3 for console gamers. This January, we’re releasing two entirely new co-op chapters, Jailbreak and Redemption. These new chapters feature the culmination of all the hard work we’ve put into the main co-op campaign. They’re truly the best of the best.

High Tides will take place where the original six co-op chapters left off. These are the gang’s final moments, and we’re really challenging ourselves to go all-out. We’ve got new missions, tougher fights, bigger competitions, some great up-close time with your favorite characters, and explosive moments unlike anything you’ve seen before. Can you tell we’re excited?
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/12/04/far-cry-3s-high-tides-dlc-sails-to-ps3-in-january/

iNvid02

Exclusive to the PS3? Why is Ubi still doing this with their games?

i have the supposedly ps3 exclusive benedict arnold dlc for ac3 with the deluxe edition from greenman - i guess they're just bundling it in with the deluxe editions for pc and sticking it to 360

So is FC2 worth playing? I'm thinking about tracking down a copy since I'm enjoying FC3 so much. But I read some of what you guys said and seems like it has some minor annoyance that took away some of your enjoyment. Is it closer to FC3 or FC1? I played FC1 on the PC way back but didn't think much of it.

Megasoum

Banned
Exclusive DLC is stupid but hey, if it's only Co-op stuff I don't care...

Now when they will release the mendatory Jurassic Park hunting DLC they better release it on PC...

DocSeuss

Yes, Far Cry 2 is absolutely worth playing. It's more Far Cry 3 than Far Cry, but it's simultaneously a better and worse game. The most important thing is to take the game slow and NOT DRIVE EVERYWHERE. Nearly all of the complaints are the result of driving.

I really hate Sony for their policy on exclusive DLC. If you want to have exclusives, follow Microsoft's example for timed exclusives. I've no interested in playing a shooter on the least-reliable multiplayer network I've ever encountered, so PS3-exclusive DLC is useless to me.

Andrew.

Banned
So is FC2 worth playing? I'm thinking about tracking down a copy since I'm enjoying FC3 so much. But I read some of what you guys said and seems like it has some minor annoyance that took away some of your enjoyment. Is it closer to FC3 or FC1? I played FC1 on the PC way back but didn't think much of it.

FC2 is a fucking awesome game, but just realize that before you go into it that you may not be able to finish it due to game breaking bugs, unless you go the PC route.

antitrop

As someone who loved Far Cry, but was incredibly disappointed and frustrated by Far Cry 2, I cannot wait to play this game today.

It's been a good year for shooters, but I'm so glad that something like this comes around at the end of the year.

Exclusive DLC is stupid but hey, if it's only Co-op stuff I don't care...

Now when they will release the mendatory Jurassic Park hunting DLC they better release it on PC...

I'd pay a lot of money for a DLC pack that added dinosaurs to the game. The mercs on patrol have some idle banter about how at least they aren't on the dinosaur island. If it happened I don't know what I'd do.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I loved the first 3 hours of FC2. After that the psychic respawning instaspawning deathrace 2000 npc jeep driver bullshit got to be too much.

FC2 was bullshit. It had some great ideas but they were poorly executed. Far Cry 3 took some of the great ideas and makes them perfect. And Far Cry 2 had a non-existing-story while Far Cry 3 has some great characters and a good told story.

Riposte

FC2 was bullshit. It had some great ideas but they were poorly executed. Far Cry 3 took some of the great ideas and makes them perfect. And Far Cry 2 had a non-existing-story while Far Cry 3 has some great characters and a good told story.

Which great ideas would you say it took?

Ensoul

Mine is arriving today cannot wait. How many hours is this game? One review said dozens and dozens which was kind of broad. I assume you can get to the end in around 15 or so?

antitrop

Exactly why I'm so excited to play this, still doesn't unlock on Steam for another 10 minutes or so. :D

EDIT: Unlocked on Steam in the US, right now!

legacyzero

Banned
FC2 has fans for being the anti game IMO. The thing I hated about the story was the dumb ass plot twist bait-n-switch.

You start the game with the premise of hunting down the Jackyl. The ending goes COMPLETELY against that, and generally being anti-climactic. There was like, zero effort there.

Beaulieu

most people in this thread displayed love for far cry 2 should go back and play it today, to see if their nostaligia-tinted glasses arent fuckin with the opinion.

far cry 2 was not a good game
far cry 3 is a great fuckin game

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
It is finally time. But the download link is not showing up in my order :(

Edit: Woo 10 minutes after! Now to play the real game, watching an 8 gig download go by.

The tearing on 360 is really annoying. I tried and tried...but I can't unsee it. The framerate is not solid (and I can live with that ) but the tearing...:/

I wonder...will Ubi be able to patch this?

saelz8

It's out now on Uplay, for those of you who got it with their GPU's.

Because, I know none of you willfully bought from this POS service.

iumogg

Neo Member

I haven't played FC3 yet, but from I've read it seems to be very different from FC2. FC3 seems to be prioritizing ease of use and enjoyment over immersion and FC2 is the opposite. FC2 is one of my favorite games, so I would recommend it, but just expect it to be a slow burn. Plus you can probably get it on a steam sale for less than $5.

antitrop

Not sure.
Well, I can answer my own question. Yes, it does.

As soon as I launched FC3 on Steam it opened up U-Play and asked me to copy paste my CDKey from Steam. :(
It's not the biggest deal in the world, I just don't really like using a program to launch a program that launches the game.

Top Bottom