• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Dennis

Banned
This is how it looks like with the minimap disabled by a mod. People interested can find more info in the PC performance thread.

Zeliard

Wingsuit is pretty much crap anyway

I love the wingsuit. My favorite way to get around is to combine the sprint boost syringes with the wingsuit. Just speed up a hill and launch myself off. Loads of fun. The player movement in general in this game is one of its best parts.

I think the second island is a big let down.
I'm having more fun taking the base camps. But that may just be because I'm more experienced in it. I feel like they use vertical space in more interesting ways, but overall I agree. The militia are completely uninteresting.. sure the place is torn apart but I don't really get a sense of that tension. A few crying women isn't going to phase the Brodinator.

I love the wingsuit. My favorite way to get around is to combine the sprint boost syringes with the wingsuit. Just speed up a hill and launch myself off. Loads of fun. The player movement in general in this game is one of its best parts.

Damn, that sounds fun! Gotta try this out later today!

I just saw 4 Rakyat men hunt and kill an older couple in a car..it was..surreal. If you wait around long enough, you see some random madness among them.

Then I apologize for that particular comment, I didn't know ignore also blocked PM:s. From your other comments since then, it seems you're still intent on belittling me and my opinions. What you actually should be doing is a) ignoring the person if you can't stand their opinions or b) engage them in discussion directly and adress their actual arguments instead of attacking them personally.

I choose C) not take advice on how to act from you, and continue to call you out when your whining gets excessive.

Jtrizzy

I'd like a mod that moves the mini map and other ui stuff to the corners of the screen. I'd love it if everything else was a toggle option. AC series does a nice job giving you options.

In the quest "All In"

Is this quest glitched? Every time I press the prompt to punch the prisoner, the scene just sits there doing nothing. The game didn't freeze on me or anything. I reloaded the checkpoint.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Ok, so I'm about an hour into the game and I'm thinking about going hardest difficulty. what does that change? does it change the AI at all? because I'm on medium right now and I'd say the amount of bullets enemy absorb is perfect.

Darklord

Banned
How far am I into the story? I'm finding
The 3rd piece of the compass for Buck.

Also, what Australian ever was called Buck? No one.

Tankshell

Just got to "that" part that they showed off at all the Ubisoft press conferences before the game released.... it's a bit disappointing how much the graphics have been toned down since it was originally show.

WARNING, large spoilers ahead:

Youtube proves my point:

Original clip from 6 months ago, notice the extreme amount of dense foliage in the background behind
Vaas, and the waterfalls inside the cave
, and the general level of details:

http://youtu.be/iaGSSrp49uc?t=1m42s

Compare to how it actually arrived in the final game:

http://youtu.be/Q2rV-mURGFw?t=19m54s

Oh well, such is the reality of releasing a game on 7 year old hardware I guess. Just makes you think what we *could* have had. Shame.

antitrop

Just got to "that" part that they showed off at all the Ubisoft press conferences before the game released.... it's a bit disappointing how much the graphics have been toned down since it was originally show.
WARNING, large spoilers ahead:
Youtube proves my point:
Original clip from 6 months ago, notice the extreme amount of dense foliage in the background behind
Vaas, and the waterfalls inside the cave
, and the general level of details:
http://youtu.be/iaGSSrp49uc?t=1m42s
Compare to how it actually arrived in the final game:
http://youtu.be/Q2rV-mURGFw?t=19m54s

Oh well, such is the reality of releasing a game on 7 year old hardware I guess. Just makes you think what we *could* have had. Shame.
You were under impression they would be showing the console version of the game at a press conference to show how technically impressive the game is?

The graphics weren't "toned down", they were just showing the PC version.

What I saw in your first YouTube link is pretty much what I'm playing. Though I haven't reached that specific part, yet.

Tankshell

You were under impression they would be showing the console version of the game at a press conference to show how technically impressive the game is?

The graphics weren't "toned down", they were just showing the PC version.

What I saw in your first YouTube link is pretty much what I'm playing.

Nope, I am playing on PC maxed also... it looks just like the 2nd clip (just a littler higher res). Unless you are completely blind it is impossible to miss the huge differences.

antitrop

Nope, I am playing on PC maxed also... it looks just like the 2nd clip (just a littler higher res).
You're seriously trying to tell me that the PC version maxed out looks just like the console version, with a "little higher res"?
I mean that's just a straight up lie.

I haven't played Far Cry 3 on consoles, but I just watched your second YouTube video and that Xbox 360 version does NOT look like the Far Cry 3 that I'm playing.
To me they look as different as an Xbox game and an Xbox 360 game.

I don't know why you posted a console video to compare to the tech demo in the first place anyway. Xbox 360 game doesn't look as good as trade show tech demo, what a surprise!

Your point may actually be valid, I don't even know. But I would need to see a comparison of the maxed PC version and the E3 demo.

SJRB

Gold Member
How far am I into the story? I'm finding
The 3rd piece of the compass for Buck.

Also, what Australian ever was called Buck? No one.

You got ways to go. If you want to know specifically you can check progress in the handbook menu, it shows exactly what mission you're on in regards to the total missions.

Tankshell

You're seriously trying to tell me that the PC version maxed out looks just like the console version, with a "little higher res"?
I mean that's just a straight up lie.

I haven't played Far Cry 3 on consoles, but I just watched your second YouTube video and that Xbox 360 version does NOT look like the Far Cry 3 that I'm playing.

To me they look as different as an Xbox game and an Xbox 360 game.

I don't know why you posted a console video to compare to the tech demo in the first place anyway.

Maybe come back after you have played that section on PC =0)

I know, I'll record that exact section later tonight (on my PC, maxed)... and post it up again next to the console version and the press conference version. The difference between the console and PC will be minimal (other than the abysmal console frame rate)... the difference between the press conference version and the other versions will be HUGE.

Not looking for an argument, I just find these kinds of things quite interesting... the differences between what we are shown during development (promotional material etc) and what we end up playing.

antitrop

Maybe come back after you have played that section on PC =0)

I know, I'll record that exact section later tonight (on my PC, maxed)... and post it up again next to the console version and the press conference version. The difference between the console and PC will be minimal... the difference between the press conference version and the other versions will be HUGE.

Not looking for an argument, I just find these kinds of things quite interesting... the differences between what we are shown during development (promotional material etc) and what we end up playing.
Absolutely. I wasn't discrediting your overall point, just rather your odd choice of comparison material.

Like I played Far Cry 3 on PC all day Tuesday and it did not look anything like what I just saw in that Xbox 360 footage, and it looks very much like the tech demo, to me anyway.

Still not as bad as the disparity between Crysis PC and Crysis XBLA, though. Dear God. They removed like half the jungle to get that game to run.

Overdoziz

Banned
hey, so do you guys know what the difficulty settings change?
The amount of shots it takes to kill you, I guess. I've been playing on the highest difficulty since the beginning and I can't say It's that much of a challenge. Especially considering the fact that you get pretty much half the weapons for free once you've activated a tower or two.

Story sucks, awesome gameplay, right?

I'm not that far, but that's kind of the impression I've got from people who have played it longer than I have.

Wha..? The story is pretty good for this type of game. There are some parallels to Alice in Wonderland, and that's something I'd like to discuss in a spoiler thread. Which, btw, is something I just put up (do not enter if you haven't beat the game):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503138

And yeah, the gameplay all the way through was super. Stealth FTW.

Roxas

10 hours in, loving the game so far. I havent progressed the story for like 4 hours...just running around doing crazy shit.

I loved the opening to the game. In the first 5 minutes, you establish where you are, who you are, who the good guys are, who the bad guys are, why you want to kill the bad guys and what your ultimate objective in the game is. Amazing.

I also like the little nods to other games i have seen so far...Assassins Creed and Bioshock (in the same area too)

RE: Alice. Vaas =
mad hatter
? I wonder who the
Cheshire cat
is then, maybe Buck. I kinda ignored the quotes because it seemed a bit silly to me, like they're trying to elevate it by making such a lofty comparison instead of letting the game speak for itself.

antitrop

mad hatter
? I wonder who the
Cheshire cat
is then, maybe Buck. I kinda ignored the quotes because it seemed a bit silly to me, like they're trying to elevate it by making such a lofty comparison instead of letting the game speak for itself.
I don't think it's actually that deep. Probably giving them too much credit.

spekkeh

Banned
I loved the opening to the game. In the first 5 minutes, you establish where you are, who you are, who the good guys are, who the bad guys are, why you want to kill the bad guys and what your ultimate objective in the game is. Amazing.

Yeah I like the in medias res they're doing, seems like the ideal narrative structure for games really.

SJRB

Gold Member
mad hatter
? I wonder who the
Cheshire cat

I think you are overthinking the quotes. They're there to emphasize the descent into insanity theme in the story, they're not part of the narrative. I loved them nontheless.

But if any, Dennis is the cat I suppose.

Dennis

Banned
so is the end of the story as bad as giant bomb folks say? they're saying it ruins the game

I am nowhere near the end but this whole "bad ending so the whole game is ruined" meme needs to die.

If you enjoyed 20 hours of gameplay I don't see how a disappointing ending can ruin a game.

Jintor

I can't help think that these fucking Rakyat warriors should be showing up while I'm taking the goddamn stronghold. I just had a running battle with something like 25 pirates all on my own, some disposable bodies pouring in firepower would have been helpful, especially when they show up straight after I kill the last super-armoured asshole.

Also, strongholds completely killing off wandering patrols kind of sucks for fun free-roaming sandbox times. Hoping for mods.

so is the end of the story as bad as giant bomb folks say? they're saying it ruins the game

Well there are two endings, both of them are kinda...dumb. The only thing good about one of them are boobies and first person sex. But overall they're both a dumb ending to a dumb story using a dump trope with a dumb main character.

Dennis

Banned
I have been killed more by tigers than by bandits with AK-47s.

*waiting in bushes for the lighting to be juuuuust right for screenshot*

"Whats that growling soun........arggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!"

Overdoziz

Banned
I can't help think that these fucking Rakyat warriors should be showing up while I'm taking the goddamn stronghold. I just had a running battle with something like 25 pirates all on my own, some disposable bodies pouring in firepower would have been helpful, especially when they show up straight after I kill the last super-armoured asshole.

Also, strongholds completely killing off wandering patrols kind of sucks for fun free-roaming sandbox times. Hoping for mods.
You still run into random events with pirates every now and then even in areas which are liberated. They're usually fighting Rakyates so it's not much of a challenge, though.

Couple questions for those farther into the game.

I see people talking about the second island. Is that visable on the map from the get go? I see a bunch of stuff to the South I haven't even explored yet.

Also are there more guns unlocked in the stores later on? I swore I saw a picture of someone using a M4.

Top Bottom