• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 28 - May 4 | The Desolation of Smug

Toxi

Banned
I've seen this movie but I have no idea wtf he's saying in the gif

looks like "frim fram"
"Never."

When are swords character ever low tier?

(Don't you dare bring up MVC2!!!!)
Link was bottom tier in Smash 64, low tier in Melee, and bottom of bottom tier in Brawl. He's always got a bad combination of slow attack speed and horrible recovery. People are joking (and are probably accurate) that he'll be low tier in Smash 4.

Outside of Smash... Hakumen was low-tier in Blazblue CT, presumably because a sword's range means jack when every top tier can fire five billion projectiles on the screen at once.

alstein

BTW this is SEGA Cup 2014 top 16

congrats soakrates for making dat top 16 $$$
shidosha has been working hard, happy to see him place that high
AMAZED flash was sent to losers so quickly
hadn't seen kamais play before, he did great and looked like freddie mercury

Online at least, Kamais is harder for me to beat than GT. I could get lucky on GT occasionally, never Kamais.

Some of that is that he's a Jeff player so he knows all my tricks and gimmicks, but if he was in Japan and got enough high-lvl comp, with his basics I think he could be at that top level.

casperOne

Shito

Finished my first run this week-end, on PS3.
Just in time to start a new run on PC, with a cleric instead of a knight...
I find it a bit below the first one, and really too much on the easy side, but it still is leagues better than the majority of the competition. Now to rush my second run so I can finally try the NG+, that seems so cool...

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
any of y'all practice hit checking? some of the stuff I try to hitcheck requires so much attention I'm worried it'll be impractical. will test this saturday. for you veefers im working on Lau's 46P+K which is +15 on CH (half circular) and -5 on block. so IF i can react well it's 94 dmg on ch and I can fuzzy on block.

pain in the ass to hitcheck though.

Silky

Banned
LocBz2Q.gif

MAAAAAAAAN

Beckx

Good stuff AzureJ, and good nomination for SolarP.

-----

Not buying JoJo's again, either. If I even enjoyed the base single player experience more I might, but no.

Shito

Did the newer one patches make it a decent game yet?
They definitively made it a better game; not quite "legit" yet, though.
I haven't followed it much those last few months, but last I've heard the infinites where no more, and they gave back some crazy stuff they had to remove to achieve that goal.

oneida

hoooooly shit 3K is +11 on sideturned normal hit if it hits a crouching opponent

labtime is best time

having comically bad internet is a good motivator.

Since my Cap and sort of my Nova are pretty solid, I mostly use my lab time to work on my execution with Doom, even though I forego all of the fancy stuff for the easy stuff online.

I also get bored and can do like 30 minutes of training mode before I have to stop

oneida

Since my Cap and sort of my Nova are pretty solid, I mostly use my lab time to work on my execution with Doom, even though I forego all of the fancy stuff for the easy stuff online.

I also get bored and can do like 30 minutes of training mode before I have to stop
I can waste an hour easily practicing execution or working on setups. I play significantly better on saturdays if I've devoted even one hour to the lab that week.

Zissou

Enjoying lab time depends on the game- I could never muster the interest to spend much time in training mode in SF4 back when I played it regularly, but I've unintentionally spent 4+ hours in marvel training mode.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Who else from GAF is going to NWM? I'll be there as a spectator (I gave up playing FGs long ago; lack of time & lack of reaction / coordination time) watching. MarkMan, you making it?

In training mode I like to pick a random character. Maybe one I've recently lost to or one that I don't have much experience against who may be a problem at the next major, and just figure something out. A new way to blow up their wakeup, a gap in a string I didn't know about, or practice a punish. It's effective.

Enjoying lab time depends on the game- I could never muster the interest to spend much time in training mode in SF4 back when I played it regularly, but I've unintentionally spent 4+ hours in marvel training mode.

Same for me but KOF13 instead of Marvel. SF4, just no interest in labwork. KOF, I spend hours grinding execution and figuring stuff out. Before this I could never understand how people could spend ages in the lab. Now I can.

Shouta

Who else from GAF is going to NWM? I'll be there as a spectator (I gave up playing FGs long ago; lack of time & lack of reaction / coordination time) watching. MarkMan, you making it?

Me, of course. I've been helping plan the event too so it'd be strange if i wasn't going, lol.

Kalamari

I will be there, this will be my first tournament. With my luck, I will probably have to face Tokido in pools or something.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
So guys did I miss anything noteworthy last week? Any good Marvel matches?

I've been too busy playing Dark Souls 2...

Started playing it this weekend as well, loving it so far.

Staying clear of any dedicated threads, don't want any spoilers heh.

Oh man, you guys haven't rage quitted? I forget that From nerfed the bosses like crazy in the patches. Not that these are spoilers or anything.

I'm trying to go but I got no ride to get there -_-

Anybody here going to ECT or is it just going to be nobody....?

brettreyu

I'll be there. Playing in KI but just watching everything else.

onionfrog

Oh man, you guys haven't rage quitted? I forget that From nerfed the bosses like crazy in the patches. Not that these are spoilers or anything.
I haven't gotten very far yet. Spent hours in the forest of the fallen giants. I started deprived and broke my only weapon really early. (dagger). I had to fight my way through with a broken straight sword. I also broke my broken straight sword before I got the blacksmith's key.

I'm in
No Man's Wharf
(3rd area spoilers) right now.
Its really clever design that being hit with oil bombs causes you to take massive and lingering damage from firebombs afterwards!

I find the lowered weapon durability quite annoying. I end up having to carry multiple weapons just to make it through an area.

The game looks great on PC and silky smooth at 60fps. The lighting when using torches looks fantastic as well.
-------
I may have to pick up Soul Calibur 5 for $5 on PSN. Those other sale prices are intriguing as well.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I haven't gotten very far yet. Spent hours in the forest of the fallen giants. I started deprived and broke my only weapon really early. (dagger). I had to fight my way through with a broken straight sword. I also broke my broken straight sword before I got the blacksmith's key.

I'm in
No Man's Wharf
(3rd area spoilers) right now.
Its really clever design that being hit with oil bombs causes you to take massive and lingering damage from firebombs afterwards!

I find the lowered weapon durability quite annoying. I end up having to carry multiple weapons just to make it through an area.

The game looks great on PC and silky smooth at 60fps. The lighting when using torches looks fantastic as well.
-------
I may have to pick up Soul Calibur 5 for $5 on PSN. Those other sale prices are intriguing as well.

That's really weird, what build are you using? My weapons rarely did they ever break since I was an int/faith build with a melee weapon infused with magic. You might wanna level grind and respec yourself cause your suppose to be able to kill these guy in at least three hits by now.

Shouta

I will be there, this will be my first tournament. With my luck, I will probably have to face Tokido in pools or something.

Shouta, you have one job

I'll just put PR Rog into that slot and... unless it's KOF or Tekken.

Was there going to be a Gundam side tourney? (Or am I mis-remembering?)

On stream.

Yeah but I don't know if we'll be streaming much of it. Also might be free so we can show/teach people the game, heh.

I'm trying to go but I got no ride to get there -_-

Anybody here going to ECT or is it just going to be nobody....?

Driving? From Cali? Dat's a long ass ride, lol.

I haven't entered an actual tournament in years... but NWM is pretty near where I live, so I might stop by just to say hi to people for a bit.

oneida

here's a product of today's lab time. some sideturned silliness with akira. you can probably get more damage off that crumple.

ibnSKzHOBaU4Qj.gif

oneida

Haha, look at him try to block.

man akira is so scary, even blocking is dangerous. and all his good stuff is safe!

in that gif, you can see that while sideturned it takes additional frames to block. i always thought it was 3 frames but if you look it must be at least 4. even though after the guard break i am +17, akira's 46P+G which has a 19 frame startup is completely guaranteed. that leaves me at +8, but since the opponent is still side turned, the P,K is also guaranteed since that has a 12 frame startup.

the CPU is set to block and counter attack, which is why the P after the P,K is blocked.

kirblar

It feels like whatever they did to Elena to make her "not broken" like she was in the beta builds ended up going too far. Given that she's supposed to be a poke character dealing damage off single hits and short strings, they just don't seem to be doing enough damage in the current game in the footage we've seen so far. (Harder to speak to if any of the frame changes are contributing because we just don't have the before/after data.)

Top Bottom