• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 28 - May 4 | The Desolation of Smug

K.Sabot

Why does it matter who he is, what he's saying is completely right. The FGC, at least in the English-speaking world, is pretty much as vulgar as it gets. No tv station would ever pick up the kind of niche fanbase that relishes in stuff like 'Chub Li'.

Hi, thanks for reading.

If we're making comparisons...

7mDs5e5.png

And he commentated at the largest prized Esports tournament in existence to date.

And this guy's at the forefront, unlike the stream chat. And FGC's stream chat pales in comparison to moba stream chats.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The FGC relishes in it way more than others. Some of the best/funniest moments in the FGC's history would never be allowed/would never have been allowed to happen in a tv environment.

You could say the same for anything. What you can't say is new greatest moments couldn't happen in a TV enviroment like other things have available to them now. So yeah the "loud part" of the FGC is pretty fucking ghetto but that doesn't mean new awesome shit can't come from being in a suited for T.V environment.

Evo Moment 37 could have happened on T.V

Justin Wong's Marvel wins last year could have happened on T.V

and so on so yeah, you are full of shit and bias as fuck.

Brett Awesome

Neo Member
If we're making comparisons...

7mDs5e5.png

And he commentated at the largest prized Esports tournament in existence to date.

I can't really speak for their community as i'm not a part of it but yeah, that's pretty fucking bad. I don't know if their tv stuff is like though, is it (for lack of a better term) sterilised?

Come to think of it they could maybe do it if they've got the Capcom Cup treatment, with UltraChen etc. That's as professional/knowledgeable as the fgc can get in its current state. But even then you've got the stream comments and the crowd mutants looking for attention just adding a layer of cringe to the whole thing.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I can't really speak for their community as i'm not a part of it but yeah, that's pretty fucking bad. I don't know if their tv stuff is like though, is it (for lack of a better term) sterilised?

Come to think of it they could maybe do it if they've got the Capcom Cup treatment, with UltraChen etc. That's as professional/knowledgeable as the fgc can get in its current state. But even then you've got the stream comments and the crowd mutants looking for attention just adding a layer of cringe to the whole thing.

Wow so you are just talking out of your ass then? Have you seen streams for LoL and stuff? Twitch chat is a virus period for the most part. Crowd monsters could be regulated as well but with the speed of fighting game matches compared to other things it's not too out there for the crowd to go wild as much as they do.

Brett Awesome

Neo Member
You could say the same for anything. What you can't say is new greatest moments couldn't happen in a TV enviroment like other things have available to them now. So yeah the "loud part" of the FGC is pretty fucking ghetto but that doesn't mean new awesome shit can't come from being in a suited for T.V environment.

Evo Moment 37 could have happened on T.V

Justin Wong's Marvel wins last year could have happened on T.V

and so on so yeah, you are full of shit and bias as fuck.

You were doing so well and then brought it right down to confirming my point with that last line. What am i biased for/against?

I just see what happens that makes me cringe at these 'ghetto' streams and don't really want to see that on tv and have people think that's what the fgc is. But at the same time i wouldn't want it to be 'too professional' and lose the non-game moments that are great like, sanford calling out rog and wong, Rush Hour commentary, hell even spooky falling asleep, not laughed that much in a long time.

Brett Awesome

Neo Member
Wow so you are just talking out of your ass then? Have you seen streams for LoL and stuff? Twitch chat is a virus period for the most part. Crowd monsters could be regulated as well but with the speed of fighting game matches compared to other things it's not too out there for the crowd to go wild as much as they do.

I wasn't comparing as much, was only commenting on the 'fgc on tv would be a disaster' bit. From what it looks like the guy on twitter wasn't comparing it either. It's not the crowd 'going wild' that annoys me, it's guys that are doing stuff just because there's a camera there. That Sarus guy, DMS, people like that.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
FGC stream chats pale in comparison to MOBA stream chats.

Also, nobody would ever think of putting Chris Hu or any other commentator/streamer/event organizer that wouldn't be palatable to the public anywhere near the forefront of the public FGC movement. There is a pretty clear list of people who would be chosen for these positions.

We are perfectly capable of having well run, organized, stand-up events and streams, like SCR or EVO.

Just because the grimier side of the community exists does not mean that it is incapable of behaving well on the public stage, same goes for MOBA's and shooters.

She looks like she's very fair, which is kinda unfortunate when you're fighting Firebrand.

It's too bad people played her in vanilla; if she flew under the radar, she might have gotten more buffs.

I always thought it was because of her slide nerf and removal of DHC glitch that made her less used. Of course Combo uses Spencer/Strange to make his own team Nemo with that upgrapple assist dizzy to Strange hard tag.

Silky

Banned
Why does it matter who he is, what he's saying is completely right. The FGC, at least in the English-speaking world, is pretty much as vulgar as it gets. No tv station would ever pick up the kind of niche fanbase that relishes in stuff like 'Chub Li'.

Who the fuck are you, speaking for the entire community like that

I wasn't comparing as much, was only commenting on the 'fgc on tv would be a disaster' bit. From what it looks like the guy on twitter wasn't comparing it either. It's not the crowd 'going wild' that annoys me, it's guys that are doing stuff just because there's a camera there. That Sarus guy, DMS, people like that.

I don't know who the hell the last three people are and the significance they have in the community (I have little to no significance either, I'm just a spectator/scrub) but if I were to use my common sense, I wouldn't put these three people--a minority population--as the face of what the FGC can symbolize.

Every competitive circuit has it's demons. there's no way to avoid this but to get the morons out of the camera.

Come to think of it, I rarely see you post in this thread. Did you come here to assert your point from baseless lurking? Do you even play fighting games/spectate a competitive scene?

K.Sabot

Even then, our more uncouth members of the FGC know when to step it up on commentary in a serious setting.

Take Tom Brady at MLG for instance, he was very esports during that. He knows when to turn it on and off at least.

Nyoro SF

Your statement is incorrect.

You have clearly never been to a major sporting event (yes, including the ones on the tee-vee), and are talking entirely out of your ass.

I've been hearing people trash PSN online since its been out, but I've never heard an explanation for why. I think its pretty overblown and really matters on your distance and internet speeds.

Oh and I'll be on AE in about 20 minutes if you can wait on PSN. Ha

I've played all three, and for some reason whenever I was playing on PSN all I ever got were yellow connections compared to xbox/pc and even when I had green connections, they still weren't very good. Idk that was my experience with PSN. I'll be on it again when ultra releases sadly lol

K.Sabot

Your statement is incorrect.

You have clearly never been to a major sporting event (yes, including the ones on the tee-vee), and are talking entirely out of your ass.

TV productions of actual sporting events mask the problem people very very well to the point that people dont' think they exist.

I mean, just look at the situation with that Clippers owner, they (the NBA) can't even do anything about him besides urge him to sell the company.

How many times has the opportunity to go e-sports happened only to be laughed at by the FGC? You have people against going e-sports because they claim that it'll take the soul from the FGC or whatever, but then those same people turn around and whine that nobody wants to sponsor tournaments. Seems odd to me.

But hey, what do I know. Maybe there's a secret meaning that I'm not getting.

Nyoro SF

TV productions of actual sporting events mask the problem people very very well to the point that people dont' think they exist.

I mean, just look at the situation with that Clippers owner, they (the NBA) can't even do anything about him besides urge him to sell the company.

Exactly and spot on. The point I'm trying to make is that regardless of the vulgarity of the fanbase or interested players, sports still do just fine on TV. They just focus heavily on, you know, the sport.

Then sports programs focus heavily on the drama within the sport lol just like the FG weekly

Marz

Is it wrong to point out when people make baseless blanket statements? .

When you start off a response with "who the fuck are you" its usually not too friendly.

I'm not saying its wrong I just don't get why we have to go about it like that.

Shouta

Who the fuck are you, speaking for the entire community like that

I don't know who the hell the last three people are and the significance they have in the community (I have little to no significance either, I'm just a spectator/scrub) but if I were to use my common sense, I wouldn't put these three people--a minority population--as the face of what the FGC can symbolize.

Every competitive circuit has it's demons. there's no way to avoid this but to get the morons out of the camera.

Come to think of it, I rarely see you post in this thread. Did you come here to assert your point from baseless lurking? Do you even play fighting games/spectate a competitive scene?

Cut the needless aggressiveness If you want to point out where it's wrong, fine but quit being an ass.

undersakura

Neo Member
Every stream chat is really bad. Stream monsters are slightly more worse off due to the way arcades and majors are set up since the crowd and players' girlfriends become part of the stream too. I haven't seen any other chat go ham with their user names like stream monsters do though.

Lol disaster for TV but yet we have reality tv, sports (lol football fans), andall that. Yep FGC is the cancer of the gaming community confirmed.

You want to know whats a toxic community? League of legends. Nobody in any major competitive gaming scene is close to that scene when it comes to people being straight up racist, homophobic, and all sorts of stuff.

Let me reminds you in less than 2-3 months, 3 "professional" players made racist comments to the jews in a public game. They were on riot's payroll as they were part of the LCS.

Lets not forget the e-drama with TSM with reginald and co, where they make their gaming house into a soap opera.

Also Talking shit is not exclusive to the FGC, nor is it really classified as a prevalent problem in the FGC because guess what? Humans talk shit in any competitive scene.

edit

edit 2
O nooo fgc collusion and gambling. Not like those civilized esports.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/riot-fines-league-of-legends-cheaters-30000/1100-6398055/
Not to mention the one game where 2 LoL pro teams pot split and played ARAM at a MLG.

Silky

Banned
Every stream chat is really bad. Stream monsters are slightly more worse off due to the way arcades and majors are set up since the crowd and players' girlfriends become part of the stream too. I haven't seen any other chat go ham with their user names like stream monsters do though.

At the very least I appreciate the attempt of cracking down on those types in twitch chats. But then I'm reminded to just close them altogether.

Even Zhi knows when to dial it back. At the CafeID tournament, he was commentating by himself, and even though he would throw jokes out like how Tokido still looks like Levi from AoT, he was still doing his job. They didn't have multiple mics and he sat there for hours straight just doing work.

For the most part, most majors have been really professional on their commentary. Even Yipes doesn't cuss out people and makes up some random slang or analogy instead of some curse word (which is funny at times).

Kumubou

How many times has the opportunity to go e-sports happened only to be laughed at by the FGC? You have people against going e-sports because they claim that it'll take the soul from the FGC or whatever, but then those same people turn around and whine that nobody wants to sponsor tournaments. Seems odd to me.

But hey, what do I know. Maybe there's a secret meaning that I'm not getting.
And how many of those attempts ended up folding like a cheap suit in the end? The only one that didn't (that I can remember) was from MLG (and I think that's partially due to history and partially due to MLG not fully understanding how fighting game events work -- or more specifically, who attends them).

You could take a more positive view and say that the community does not want to engage with any entity that does not have the long-term health of the community in mind.

And how many of those attempts ended up folding like a cheap suit in the end? The only one that didn't (that I can remember) was from MLG (and I think that's partially due to history and partially due to MLG not fully understanding how fighting game events work -- or more specifically, who attends them).

You could take a more positive view and say that the community does not want to engage with any entity that does not have the long-term health of the community in mind.

I was only talking about legitimate stuff. I'd never include something like Da Beach or John What's-His-Name in my example.

Funny thing about FGC being vulgar. Let me know when you see something as bad as "get cancer and die you fucking trash jews, I will gas your families" come from a top FGC player in a public game.

Until then, the whole myth that esports games are pure and fgc is corrupt, vulgar and hateful is just that, a fucking myth.

You were doing so well and then brought it right down to confirming my point with that last line. What am i biased for/against?

I just see what happens that makes me cringe at these 'ghetto' streams and don't really want to see that on tv and have people think that's what the fgc is. But at the same time i wouldn't want it to be 'too professional' and lose the non-game moments that are great like, sanford calling out rog and wong, Rush Hour commentary, hell even spooky falling asleep, not laughed that much in a long time.

what the fuck is a 'ghetto' stream

Dahbomb

Oh what's that I see there...

Is that a... TIER LIST???

Let's go!

TKD's Ultra Street Fighter 4 tier list

Strong
Cammy, Guy, Ibuki, T. Hawk, Chun-Li, Evil Ryu, Adon, Sagat, Yun, Yang

Fairly Strong
Ryu, Akuma, Rose, C. Viper, Makoto, Sakura

Average
Other