• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 7-13 | Smash our expectations

tbh if the game has proper hit stun then I can live with that from a competitive stand point. That wasn't addressed yet but that's something were going to have experience once we actually start playing it. This is the case for every fighting game ever or even every game ever. I don't recall capcom releasing the frames for ryu's DP before the game was out

Maybe it was just me but it actually looked like Little Mac was doing combos, so I would think/hope that means there's some form of hitstun.

Kimosabae

Banned
Haha, I figured the focus of discussion would be different in the FG thread of all places, but this is still just Smash Bros. Silly me. It's not even really a fighting game.

That Pokemon's a NINJA. HYPE!!!

Haha, I figured the focus of discussion would be different in the FG thread of all places, but this is still just Smash Bros. Silly me. It's not even really a fighting game.

You aren't a farmer are you cause how can you handle all this straw

vulva

So did you completely ignore the part of my response where I addressed appreciating them demonstrating things like meter use for Mac or the utility of certain moves, rebalancing characters from past iterations to make them more viable? In what world isn't that information important?

Shouta

Shouta, I think I read a post of yours saying Tokido is coming to NWM. Since he's either apart of Topanga or associated with it, you need to hound him for answers. OK, maybe that's going a bit too far. But if it's not too much to ask can you find out why they made this decision and was this on their end or Nico's end? And will they ever try to make it more accessible to the foreign market if they decide to open it up to us again? I'm not expecting you to do any of this, but I figure I might as well ask anyways and hope for some answers.

Tokido probably wouldn't know anything and Markman's already pointed out that it isn't Topanga. I'd be inclined to say Nico Nico as that blog points out.

Zhi was talking about this on twitter. He got a bit of guff from the JPs and they pointed out that MK and KI were blocked from being viewed in Japan. Not sure on the specifics of that instance but I'd have to assume that it might have been a developer stream, heh. That's kind of different than this situation, at least to me.

Beckx

Today I learned that being excited for a frog ninja is embarrassing unless you also learn how it will feel to control the frog ninja.

Kimosabae

Banned
You aren't a farmer are you cause how can you handle all this straw

Nice try, but it's evident how different the expectations for a game like this are, for the average fan. I'm not saying people shouldn't be hyped about the content of the Direct - but how this game plays is extremely important, considering the series'/competitive community's history. More important than the bells and whistles, arguably. Hence, I expect people to have higher standards for what excites them regarding the next game.

The hackneyed shit-sandwhich analogy quickly comes to mind. If you're one of the many that thought Brawl was shit, why would you ultimately care if Nintendo adds Charizard and Edition Select to a shit-sandwhich?

*shrug*

So did you completely ignore the part of my response where I addressed appreciating them demonstrating things like meter use for Mac or the utility of certain moves, rebalancing characters from past iterations to make them more viable? In what world isn't that information important?

Every iteration goes through balancing and the passed games had many, many hands on public testing events to help balance the cast. Sakurai preaching balancing of the cast is nothing new. It's what's being balanced that I'm interested in.

*edit*

I'm done, because the more I respond to posts to clarify myself the more fanatical it makes me seem, when I don't even care that much.

Silky

Banned
What are you guys hyped about? You know nothing about how the game plays. How the game feels. But you're hyped because you were presented Little Mac? And Pokemon? Because Sakurai GIFS? Trophy guessing games? A mode that was thrown in in hopes to salvage ideas that were tossed to the cutting-room floor?

What about how precise the control over your most interested character is going to be? What about the game's speed? What about the tension of the edge-guard game? In what capacity is that relevant? Any new additions to the baseline mechanics, such as the Toadstool jump in Brawl? Hopefully something more meaningful? How are the physics? How is controlling Mario going to feel? etc. etc. I'd think being fighting game players, you'd all care more about that stuff.

Well, Nintendo doesn't do stuff like location tests for players to actually test out how far Smash has gotten other than trade events like E3, and even then an event like that is no atmosphere/environment to test out how the gameplay truly feels within a ~15 minute time span.

I'm glad Sakurai's taking time to explain the character changes (even though he obviously dumbed down the explanations for people who don't care about it.) but honestly I'll worry about the physics and shit like that when I get my hands on the 3DS version, at least.

Judging people on what to be hype for/over is a sour mentality, but ey more power to you

I'm done, because the more I respond to posts to clarify myself the more fanatical it makes me seem, when I don't even care that much.

:lol

vulva

Nice try, but it's evident how different the expectations for a game like this are, for the average fan. I'm not saying people shouldn't be hyped about the content of the Direct - but how this game plays is extremely important, considering the series'/competitive community's history. More important than the bells and whistles, arguably. Hence, I expect people to have higher standards for what excites them regarding the next game.

The hackneyed shit-sandwhich analogy quickly comes to mind. If you're one of the many that thought Brawl was shit, why would you ultimately care if Nintendo adds Charizard and Edition Select to a shit-sandwhich?

*shrug*

Every iteration goes through balancing and the passed games had many, many hands on public testing events to help balance the cast. Sakurai preaching balancing of the cast is nothing new. It's what's being balanced that I'm interested in.

So the idea of them demonstrating utility of the attacks of new characters, them discussing the idea of balancing a character to be more competitive means nothing? Sure every game deals with it in private, but they've been very up front about an interest in making the characters more competitive which is interesting to know it's on a relatively high priority.

Also showing off the various characters doing combos of sorts gave an idea of the game's combat.

I guess I'm just curious what exactly you wanted them to show to satisfy your requirements for hype? That might be easier for me to understand if you can just give a brief point form list of what you require that wasn't shown in the Direct?

edit: just saw you say you're done without having shown anything really valid to justify your long winded rant before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPScohqtbyo#t=40s

Infinite

*shrug*

See this is the disconnect I'm having. Brawl for many people was a "shit" game exclusively from a competitive stand point. I'm not expecting Sakurai to go back what made melee the game it was or even acknowledge it in any capacity considering his attitude and statements when brawl was in development. I accepted this and Smash 4 will probably be Brawl 2 but for me Brawl was a "fun" game to play

*shrug*

You seem to think being hyped over the surface features is mutually exclusive with being concerned about gameplay balance, and that posting about the first aspect without also delivering a dissertation about the second means they don't care about it. Just post post post, it's FGW.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
As a kid I used to catch toads and put them in my grandparents bed. Does that count?

*Note: people get really really mad when you do this.

One time I caught a frog and I was bringing it home in my moms car with me to put in my parents pond, it escaped and disappeared up into the dash somewhere and we never saw it or smelled it again. R.I.P magician frog.

Beckx

i caught a frog once, and then it pee'd in my hand. That asshole

One time I caught a frog and I was bringing it home in my moms car with me to put in my parents pond, it escaped and disappeared up into the dash somewhere and we never saw it or smelled it again. R.I.P magician frog.

I like thinking that these were the same frog.

Love reading Pat's articles, man.

.la1n

I like this Greninja guy, he has some sick looking moves. Between him and Little Mac I am pretty excited to play the new Smash. I have always casually enjoyed the games and have respect for the players who play competitively. I realize my expectations of the title are much different than someone who plays the games competitively though.

I like this Greninja guy, he has some sick looking moves. Between him and Little Mac I am pretty excited to play the new Smash. I have always casually enjoyed the games and have respect for the players who play competitively. I realize my expectations of the title are much different than someone who plays the games competitively though.
I'm kinda in the same boat as well. I'm not so much interested in the games from a competitive standpoint and more just want to see how much content Sakurai has crammed in there, especially any small oft forgotten references to past games. For Glory mode and Final Destination versions of all stages is cool for the people that care, but I'm not one of them.
The two things I took away from that Direct feeling pretty excited about was Smash Run and Saki still being in the game (albeit as an assist trophy again, but at least Sin & Punishment is still acknowledged).

I'm already planning on getting Smash (with a Wii U), what would completely seal the deal for me is if they added Lucina or Crom to the roster, since they already have an Arena Ferrox stage in the game.

Shulk from Xenoblade wouldn't be a bad addition either.

I'm not familiar with the competitive aspect of Smash aside from this video.

From the Nintendo Direct video it looks like they are adding more things to learn for each character so I think it will be satisfying to devote some time to.

Not to mention how easy it should be to get family to play.

kirblar

If we ever get an MvC4, I hope they take a note from Smash 4 and are willing to re-work legacy characters with problem movesets. (Hi, Iron Man!)

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm already planning on getting Smash (with a Wii U), what would completely seal the deal for me is if they added Lucina or Crom to the roster, since they already have an Arena Ferrox stage in the game.

Lucina for a Marth alt would be great. I really didn't like Chrom too much, but I wouldn't be surprised if he made it.
Would've loved if Anna got in to represent the FE series in general.

Anyways, I'm excited for Smash 4. Never expecting a Melee 2.0, I just don't want any of the issues that existed in Brawl and I'm set.
Dash dancing and L canceling would be icing on the take if they ever return though.

Kimosabae

Banned
I don't like the internet.

FGW is mad at me because they think I called them shallow.

Okay.png

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've got to say, I'm super excited about Smash. Almost all of the newcomers I want to make my main. Little Mac is just so impactful and mobile, the mirrors will be glorious. I think the biggest thing that not many people (at least here) are talking about is custom move sets. We've seen it hinted at before the game was even revealed, but that seems like Sakurai's big gameplay.. play, that players can share on different platforms via their NNID. Shame there isn't a dedicated online playlist for this though, it'll pretty much suffer the fate of H&H and/or SFxTK gems.

I think I'll either need to buy a new 3DS or repair my old one though, because the right trigger is shot. But I don't want to repair it because I'm afraid I'll lose my Mii Plaza progress. :( And I think they stopped stocking regular 3DS' in Canada too, which means I'll have to go for a hulking, fugly XL if repair costs are too high :(

As much as I'd jump on the bandwagon, that speculation game has been played before by other gaming journalism outlets. It's notable, yes, but I agree that the amount of speculation in the article is high, even for EH.

Am I the only one that gets irritated by the fact that they don't have a decent CMS which removes the "hit the jump to see more" from their actual content?
Well, its more embarrassing that there isn't a glint of humour or sarcasm in the article, and it's phrased like an actual possibility. Everyone else knows how illogical those sorts of conclusions are in their articles.

I thought you were kidding.

Johnny Gat trailer : www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ_CO2iTGr0

They really added the Saint Rows character to Divekick, lol.
Don't really like this. Saints Row doesn't even successfully make Johnny Gat someone you'd want to care about in their own games. Immediate reaction "huh... okay."

EDIT: ENZO! THAT GIF UP THERE IS WHAT WE CALL A GODDAMN MEGAMAN HOMAGE. NOT THAT SFXT SHIT!
SAY IT ENZO! SAY IT! SAY THAT THIS IS A TRUE MEGAMAN CROSSOVER HOMAGE!
Well, its definitely a better homage because it has .EXE, the best Megaman. The SFxTK one is still awesome and super creative though. Although it isn't the same, Megaman's ending in UMvC3 did something similarly cool.

Smash online modes are complete garbage. I want to make a thread about it.
Yup, they still don't get it. Its progress though, so its hard to be mad, and at least right now, I think it has enough of the basic features in place to serve enough different playstyles. Despite the final destination mode being pretty stupid, its not attached to a real ranking people can stroke off too, making it a good ghetto for boring people who only want to play Final Destination. Inevitably players will figure out the ranking system and nuanced differences between various versions of Final Destination though. I'm just glad the For Fun option is there and so is a custom games option.

I also have ambivalent feelings about there not being a party system, it might be for the best in FFA, but again we see the ramifications of Nintendo assuming their userbase is better off without choice.

But it includes Star Force Mega Man. Who cares about that guy?
This was strange. I expected Zero at the very least.

Jazz-ism banned

oh nooo
Perma'd?

HOW DOPE was that scene with fury driving
http://www.2dopeboyz.com/

I'm still a bit shook about how TWS and the latest episode of AoS basically turn the MCU on its head. War.. war has changed.

If we ever get an MvC4, I hope they take a note from Smash 4 and are willing to re-work legacy characters with problem movesets. (Hi, Iron Man!)
PREACH

Top Bottom