• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 7-13 | Smash our expectations

FGW is mad at me because they think I called them shallow.

Okay.png
lol keep dreaming

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You don't lose your Mii Plaza progress if you do a System Transfer.
I'm afraid I'll lose it through a repair, not if I buy a new one. I'm never certain about these things, as they always phrase it like they'll "try" to save as much data as they can. And as easy as it may seem to just fix the trigger, they may just swap it for another unit without doing the transfer themselves or something.

This has been needing to be fixed for over a year now, just after my warranty expired. It only works after blowing hot air into it for more time than the trigger/bumper works for after doing so. 3DS build quality is so shit.

.la1n

I'm afraid I'll lose it through a repair, not if I buy a new one. I'm never certain about these things, as they always phrase it like they'll "try" to save as much data as they can. And as easy as it may seem to just fix the trigger, they may just swap it for another unit without doing the transfer themselves or something.

This has been needing to be fixed for over a year now, just after my warranty expired. It only works after blowing hot air into it for more time than the trigger/bumper works for after doing so. 3DS build quality is so shit.

I have the same issue with my XL, and why is it that things always want to break right after the warranty has expired?

I am just hoping it will hang in there long enough for me to get some enjoyment out of Smash.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I have the same issue with my XL, and why is it that things always want to break right after the warranty has expired?

I am just hoping it will hang in there long enough for me to get some enjoyment out of Smash.
Yeah, I fear we'll need all the buttons you got for Smash though, and I'd rather fix it before rather than after the game comes out.

I am glad its coming out for 3DS because I was not gonna buy a Wii U lol.

I like how they took the whole Final Destination thing to heart though...

Kimosabae

Banned
Am I the only one that thinks the 3DS version looks ugly as hell?

Also, can someone explain how they managed to separate the interpolation for Assist Trophies and controllable avatars? I'm a ditz when it comes to programming and I'd like to know if this is a common rendering approach.

Coda

nah, shit looks jaggy as fuck. Low resolution aint helping either. Personally, I aint about that handheld fighting game life, though.

It does look a little rough around the edges but I like the black border around characters look, it makes things pop more and look more cartoony. The Wii U version's graphics look a little too sterile, but I only own a Wii U, not a 3DS so that will be the version I'm getting.

Kimosabae

Banned
nah, shit looks jaggy as fuck. Low resolution aint helping either. Personally, I aint about that handheld fighting game life, though.

I've never really played a 3DS game, so I figured the game looked better with the 3D effect in tow? Or something?

Because no one seems to be talking about how the game looks, so I figured people were pleased with it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Am I the only one that thinks the 3DS version looks ugly as hell?

Also, can someone explain how they managed to separate the interpolation for Assist Trophies and controllable avatars? I'm a ditz when it comes to programming and I'd like to know if this is a common rendering approach.
The 3DS version looks absolutely beautiful, considering any images/video of games running on 3DS always looks awful compared to how it is running on your actual device. Always. It's not a good idea to judge how anything looks on the 3DS through video/images exclusively.

And yeah, things are often rendered/calculated at different speeds. For instance, Forza calculates physics 360 times per second, and though the game is running at 60fps, things like reflections in mirrors may run at 30fps to conserve memory.

Beats

I really like the way the Wii U version looks. I won't say it's impressive or anything like that, but the lighting is nice and the colors are vibrant. Those slashing effects given to attacks look cool and the characters pop out more compared to Brawl as well.

Riposte

See this is the disconnect I'm having. Brawl for many people was a "shit" game exclusively from a competitive stand point. I'm not expecting Sakurai to go back what made melee the game it was or even acknowledge it in any capacity considering his attitude and statements when brawl was in development. I accepted this and Smash 4 will probably be Brawl 2 but for me Brawl was a "fun" game to play

I think Brawl is not all too great at being a "fun" game. It was sloppy put together, with little thought being put into stages/hazards, items, and characters. It was also a lot slower (my meathead brother can even tell the difference). "Fun" Melee > "fun" Brawl. The best thing Brawl had going for it was the music selection, though I still wish they were updating that feature more with the new one.

Looking at video they've put out, the new SSB seems to have some combo capacity and looks faster / less floaty than Brawl, not to mention I see a more visible effort to balance stuff (e.g., recovery options that are too bad or exploitable). I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. It doesn't have to be a better game than Melee for it to be worthwhile.

I'm still disappointed, because I want a game that makes a huge leap towards the customization of stages/hazards and items (i.e., opening new styles of play, making items and hazard stages more "competitive"). That just seems like the obvious next place where the series should go and it could really benefit for that. It also needed a huge leap in how it hands online since the novelty of SSB online has long since died, but what we have now could be considered a step back in someways. The newest one looks a little unambitious despite the amount of potential it has. I'm guessing a large amount of energy was spent making a twin release on the 3DS and Wii U, two hardware that has been shown to be rather incompatible; I'm going to blame that on the comparatively lackluster feature growth.

EDIT: Something funny: Let's say there's a SSB tournament for the Wii U... and both players want to play with the gamepad.

Another thing, has it been confirned SSB for the 3DS will have local play?

Kimosabae

Banned
The 3DS version looks absolutely beautiful, considering any images/video of games running on 3DS always looks awful compared to how it is running on your actual device. Always. It's not a good idea to judge how anything looks on the 3DS through video/images exclusively.

And yeah, things are often rendered/calculated at different speeds. For instance, Forza calculates physics 360 times per second, and though the game is running at 60fps, things like reflections in mirrors may run at 30fps to conserve memory.

Huh, interesting. Thanks.

Viper in AE or Marvel

Do you really think that matters to someone that blocks cross ups by holding back?

Dahbomb

If we ever get an MvC4, I hope they take a note from Smash 4 and are willing to re-work legacy characters with problem movesets. (Hi, Iron Man!)
They should've done that in MVC3 to be honest.

Some characters do play quite different though like Spider Man.

Kimosabae

Banned
I think Brawl is not all too great at being a "fun" game. It was sloppy put together, with little thought being put into stages/hazards, items, and characters. It was also a lot slower (my meathead brother can even tell the difference). "Fun" Melee > "fun" Brawl. The best thing Brawl had going for it was the music selection, though I still wish they were updating that feature more with the new one.

Pretty much how I feel. A lot of people don't like Brawl at a casual level, because it fundamentally isn't as fun to play for them. The game plainly feels imprecise and generally sloppy for me, so I couldn't even play it casually. The buffer system really kills it for me.

It's actually that same feeling that often makes me want to stop playing Marvel/SF4, completely. But then I'd have nothing at all to play.

.la1n

I've never really played a 3DS game, so I figured the game looked better with the 3D effect in tow? Or something?

Because no one seems to be talking about how the game looks, so I figured people were pleased with it.

Videos and images available on the internet and in print always look worse for 3DS games. When they are running on the system (especially in 3D) they always look a lot better. I actually think Smash looks great in the images and videos I've seen for 3DS so I can only imagine seeing it running on the hardware.

Infinite

Looking at video they've put out, the new SSB seems to have some combo capacity and looks faster / less floaty than Brawl, not to mention I see a more visible effort to balance stuff (e.g., recovery options that are too bad or exploitable). I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. It doesn't have to be a better game than Melee for it to be worthwhile.

I'm still disappointed, because I want a game that makes a huge leap towards the customization of stages/hazards and items (i.e., opening new styles of play, making items and hazard stages more "competitive"). That just seems like the obvious next place where the series should go and it could really benefit for that. It also needed a huge leap in how it hands online since the novelty of SSB online has long since died, but what we have now could be considered a step back in someways. The newest one looks a little unambitious despite the amount of potential it has. I'm guessing a large amount of energy was spent making a twin release on the 3DS and Wii U, two hardware that has been shown to be rather incompatible; I'm going to blame that on the comparatively lackluster feature growth.

EDIT: Something funny: Let's say there's a SSB tournament for the Wii U... and both players want to play with the gamepad.

Another thing, has it been confirned SSB for the 3DS will have local play?

Pretty much how I feel. A lot of people don't like Brawl at a casual level, because it fundamentally isn't as fun to play for them. The game plainly feels imprecise and generally sloppy for me, so I couldn't even play it casually. The buffer system really kills it for me.

It's actually that same feeling that often makes me want to stop playing Marvel/SF4, completely. But then I'd have nothing at all to play.
That's fair.

This is such a weird ass thing to say. Its one of those mantras the real hardcore gamers like to throw around, how they're all about "mechanics" and "gameplay" and aesthetics/presentation/content doesn't matter. Like they don't go hand and hand. Like Melee would have been 1/10th as popular as it was if it looked like completely shit and didn't have much content.

I mean I guess Smash 4 could turn out to play like shit, but then again...so could every video game ever until you get your hands on it. God forbid people get excited about a visually interesting game that looks like it could be fun to play.
I missed this before, but good post.

Working on something right now.

Stay tuned.
Forward compatibility for fight sticks? That's the one thing I'd love to hear from you.

Well, its definitely a better homage because it has .EXE, the best Megaman. The SFxTK one is still awesome and super creative though. Although it isn't the same, Megaman's ending in UMvC3 did something similarly cool.
Megaman isn't in UMvC3.

Kimosabae

Banned
I missed this before, but good post.

It's not a good post. It's a false dichotomy that strawmans my position. It's less "you either appreciate aesthetics or you appreciate gameplay" and more "aesthetics can only take your appreciation of the material so far". Over the years, as I've gotten older, Nintendo's IPs simply don't hold the weight/charm they used to. It's obvious these aesthetics go farther for some of u than me. This is a case where they just don't matter as much to me as how the game plays. I don't recognize that frog-thing because I don't play Pokemon. I have no reference frame to appreciate it.

We've been around this block before Kars. You know I love my women with a phat ass but they gotta have a brain I can appreciate first.

gutabo

Just saw this hitbox viewer for AE2012 (kinda late on the news), altho it has its limitations(like not being able to tell between throw/projectile/full invincibility on hurtboxes) and most of the hitbox information was already available(using Ono!) it's very nice to have to quickly check stuff and most importantly, to check the characters' hurtboxes on hit, being juggled and on wakeup. Now if I only had the game... :/

Anne

Idk it seemed like he was going somewhere with that but it dropped off after he started talking about Brazilian Jiujitsu

He does that a lot, he just kinda throws an idea out and you see him hanging around twitter to see what people are saying.

Kadey, are you going to pick up Smash?

It's not a good post. It's a false dichotomy that strawmans my position. It's less "you either appreciate aesthetics or you appreciate gameplay" and more "aesthetics can only take your appreciation of the material so far". Over the years as I've gotten older Nintendo's IPs simply don't hold the weight/charm they used to. It's obvious these aesthetics go farther for some of u than me. This is a case where they just don't matter as much to me as how the game plays.
I re-read both posts, and I like his post still.

Ninja Dom

FGC-GAF, please advise.

I'm crazy for King of Fighters 98. But I don't have a version of the game that I can play on any of my current machines yet.

I own a PS3, Vita, Wii U and 3DS. I haven't got access to my older Xbox original and PS2.

So I've know KOF 98 is available on the Wii Virtual Console that I'd play through the Wii U. Has anybody played KOF 98 (or any other Neo Geo fighting game) through the Wii Virtual Console on the Wii U?? If so how is it??

I have the Wii Classic Controller so I can use that to play it.

Or is there any other way to play KOF 98 on any of the above machines?

just get a 360, they're on the cheap now and the 98UM conversion is real nice. Garou and 02UM are on there too.

If you want online multiplayer then PC emulation is probably your best bet right now, while waiting on SNK to get their act together on Steam or whatever.

Has anybody got any experience of The King of Fighters Collection: The Orochi Saga? It seems like this could be the answer I'm looking for. And I can't believe I never bought this when it was first released in 2008. It's proving very difficult to find a cheap copy of this for Wii in the UK.

Also, everyone knows that Nintendo WiFi Connection ends next month, right? It's gonna be your last chance to get some Tatsunoko vs Capcom online battles done before the service ends.

Beckx

Also, everyone knows that Nintendo WiFi Connection ends next month, right? It's gonna be your last chance to get some Tatsunoko vs Capcom online battles done before the service ends.

Dolphin to the rescue! Rotanibor has been tweeting about his experiments to get the game running smoothly online via Dolphin, so check that out.

Ninja Dom

Dolphin to the rescue! Rotanibor has been tweeting about his experiments to get the game running smoothly online via Dolphin, so check that out.

Ah thanks, I will. I really don't know much about Dolphin, I'm a Mac user too. Does it work on Macs?

I posted this screenshot last week in a thread about Wii games. I tried looking for some online TvC matches, waited 15 mins and got nothing.

Top Bottom