• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 7-13 | Smash our expectations

GooeyHeat

Well, I was looking for reasons to hop on the Dan train anyway, so meter build on whiffed taunts + Ultra 1 armor break + Ultra 2 juggling properly should force everybody to behold the glory of Saikyo.

Shouta

He is pretty bad. I'm not going to go into a long diatribe but do people not understand that I'm playing tons of offstream matches with rose? I'm not getting top 8 because of sim. same case at final round. tons of bad matchups.
here is a link from NeoGaf's favorite site in the world, eventhubs with my matchup chart that i got blown up for as "not knowing what I'm talking about"

http://www.eventhubs.com/tiers/sf4/share/?user=Sabin&char=dhalsim

Overall score: 168
Favorable matches: 5
Even matches: 9
Unfavorable matches: 24
Unrated matches: 0

Shall I change your tag to "Rose's Fortune-Telling Extravaganza"? lol

But yeah, I agree. I think Sim is pretty terrible and even with buffs, isn't really going to improve. The game just isn't friendly to him what with EX attacks, focus, etc. Even one of Sim's favorable match-ups on your list, T.hawk, isn't all that favorable to him as a T.hawk player myself. T.Hawk is gonna get worse for Sim too with the walk speed buff and faster Spires, too lol.

I really really don't agree with some Sim players that he is THAT bad, and he got some great buffs all around in Ultra. Wultra will help him imo, his double-hitting MP will mess up people trying to crumple him from far away, U2 is better, tons of buttons getting more damage.

What's wrong with him now? And what major change would you give to Sim? *looking at Arturo, SimSim and UltraDavid*

I play Hakan, Hawk, Dan, and Dhalsim, and of those 4, Dhalsim is the worst imo.

Major problems:

--Weak antiair: Sim's antiairs all require startup time and all take a big commitment. I can't throw a fireball and then use my invincible dragon punch if the opponent jumps; if I don't have enough frames to start a back+hk, back+mp, ex blast, etc, I have almost nothing. Lots of characters have jump attacks that beat Sim's normal antiairs if they get the timing or spacing right. If they get the jump in, they take 1/4-1/3 of my life and I'm put in a bad situation, while if I get the antiair, I deal like 90 damage, so the incentives are not in my favor. I can do a u1 for the opponent to land on, but if they empty jump, I might be screwed, and my comeback potential is screwed without u1 as well. And if an opponent character can change its jump arc, then Sim is totally screwed because all his antiairs require big commitments. If I see Seth jumping at me and I do back+mp, but he delayed himself slightly with divekick startup, then I'm totally screwed. Or if I see Cammy jumping at me and I do ex blast, but she shortens her jump with divekick, then I'm totally screwed. Too many characters can do this.

--Weak damage: Nobody is scared of getting punishing by Dhalsim. People do otherwise stupid things like random dps and random jump ins and random focuses because they're just not worried about Sim's potential damage output.

--Weak mobility: Even with a teleport and instant air teleport, Sim's mobility is weak compared to much of the cast. His walk speeds and dash speeds are awful, his slides are all very negative on block, and his drills and mummy are slow and don't cause much hitstun or blockstun.

--Bad up close defense: There's a really frustrating range not far in front of Sim where he doesn't really have the tools to deal with the opponent's offense. Nothing invincible, nothing damage, no combos without counterhit, no fast or invincible focus breakers, etc. This range sucks.

--Snowball effect: With my bad antiair, I'm susceptible to getting jumped in on. When the opponent jumps in, I have bad mobility and bad up close defense, so I'm screwed.

--Risky offense: Sim has such trouble zoning in some matchups that playing offense might be preferable. He has good safe jumps and crossups and frame traps actually, but the risk reward is not in his favor. Oh, I mistimed a safe jump? I eat dp fadc ultra and get knocked down and now I'm screwed. I guessed wrong in frame traps? I get knocked down and now I'm screwed. I guessed right? I deal minor damage. Also, making comebacks can be really tough. He only has a couple tools to force mixups, like u1 and in some cases ex fire. Without those, the opponent basically has to let himself get hit.

I don't want all of those weaknesses fixed because then he'd be too good. Sim is getting more damage in USF4, so hopefully he can make people think twice about some things and play a bit more effectively on offense. But his antiair, up close defense, and mobility still suck.

I feel like he'll be a little bit better in absolute terms, but relative to most of the rest of the cast I think he still sounds weak.

I'm really interested to see how the new mechanics affect the game and which characters can take advantage of them
the most. Sim for example can benefit from using both ultras, delayed wake up will help his weak defense, and he can combo into ultra 1 with RFADC.

vocab

Sims damage needs to revert back to vanilla. Also those deejay buffs lol. Yup, you'll never see a st deejay in this slow ass game.

I'm glad I won't be playing much of the old characters anymore.

Ken is gonna be to good

still don't understand the reasoning behind e.ryu's 950 health. Chun got the same increase, but why not Rose? This still boggles my mind. I'm assuming Rose now has the 2nd lowest health?

Tik-Tok

Hey so I'm lazy, and also I think you guys are the best so I'm gonna ask you;

Is there a list of changes that are new to the Final Build?

In other words stuff that has changed from Beta to Final.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
What about an adapter?

Tried. Not possible (for us).

You can control the space in the middle (between your stick and the console).

For future designs, making components more modular, maybe even to the point where you can swap out PCBs easily (and in a manufacturer-supported way) would provide many more options for people who just can't shell out that much money for a new system.

If it were only that easy. Being a licensed partner makes things more complicated than they seem.

Tik-Tok

Tried. Not possible (for us).

If it were only that easy. Being a licensed partner makes things more complicated than they seem.

I'm excited to get to play on a new stick for my PS4. Talk to us about that. And which game it's going to be a licensed product for. Talk to us about that as well.

Dahbomb

Disagree- most players aren't playing against ChrisG. Everyone has to play against Zero/Vergil.
If there was a patch Morrigan would get nerfed 100%... probably more than she even deserved. It doesn't matter if you are playing against ChrisG's Morrigan, that character combined with Missiles destroys many teams even when piloted by a decent player (like JRosa).

Basically think of Morrigan like the Dhalsim of Marvel... only top tier. You don't think people rage against that character online? Not only is she frustrating to play against, many people don't like watching her play either.

If there was a patch and going by what Capcom is known to do and not my own opinion about how the game should be patched... Morrigan, Doom, Vergil and Zero would be gutted. Magneto and Viper would most likely get by with just a slap on the wrist.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
We finally have a answer about the mysterious PAX East event which is a ranking tournament for the Capcom Pro Tour. Capcom will be streaming it themselves on their Capcom Fighters channel and will be providing a 3k pot with 1k to the winner.

http://capcomprotour.com/upcoming-events-pax-east-civil-war-vi-2/

It will be running parallel to Civil War which is also this coming weekend and also part of the Capcom Pro Tour. Assuming Justin and PR Rog don't attend the same event, they'll start pulling away from everybody else in points(besides Ryan Hart who is already qualified) if they both win this weekend.
Hmm.. so why did they deny MLG if they're concurrently hosting Pro Tour ranking tournaments? Is it because they would want to have personnel at the MLG tournament as well as SEAM, but can get away with nobody coming to Civil War?

Thanks for this information though, I'll update OP.

Are we sure this isn't the Ultra effect? Not to say that Sanford doesn't inspire people to come out, but interest always rises when there's a new version.

Here's the number of tournament and event postings on SRK by month correlated with release dates of various fighting games:

Bf44e1QCcAEao92.png:large

link

Yes, this doesn't have just SF tournaments, but you can see how the number of tournaments for fighting games increases drastically when a new version of SF comes out.
Interesting data, though yeah I think it's hard to pull any conclusion for NLBCs popularity in particular from it. Ultra probably has a huge effect, and probably more than Sanford as well.

As they did with Nick Fury, they took from the Ultimate universe:

Ultimate_falcon.jpg
Ah yes. Forgot about this. Does he still speak to animals in the Ultimate universe? I don't think I've read anything in the Ultimate universe besides a few issues of (anime) Iron Man and the Ultimates.

...You meant Zero's ending, right? I haven't seen it yet.
Someone corrected me earlier by saying it was Nova's ending.

BadWolf

Recent KOF XIII ft10 between Tom Sawyer and Misterio, somewhat less one-sided than the previous one.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QZWW5QAYQI

Doubles as yet another lesson in dealing with the top tier/common threats for those interested.

Thanks for posting, will watch.

Really hope Misterio and Toshi show up for EVO.

Toshi is also from Mexico iirc and he went toe to toe with Bala with his team of Athena, Kensou and Iori. Bala had to tier whore and counter pick it all the way up to keep up.

Top Bottom