• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 7-13 | Smash our expectations

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Can Sony patch in forward compatability? As in, could the FGC bring awareness to this issue for Sony to get a fix in place?
We already know Sony (or perhaps, developers) enable backwards compatibility of peripherals on a case-by-case basis. See Driveclub.

PS4 supports third-party PS3 controllers.

It's up to developers to actually program in support for them. This is easy. Mad Catz doesn't have to do anything.

Coda

PS4 supports third-party PS3 controllers.

It's up to developers to actually program in support for them. This is easy. Mad Catz doesn't have to do anything.

I wonder if my Inpin PS2 to PS3 converter would work with those supported games. It'd give me an excuse to use it until I got a stick solution with the PS4.

Nyoro SF

As long as fighting games keep coming out for PC, you don't have to worry about BC for your joystick. Xinput is xinput after all. :)

Grakl

fuck if I know. I like it though. Church's is good for 3rd place chicken

best thing to do with just ok fried chicken is bake it in the oven when you get home

heats it up, gets it crispier and more greasy, tastes so much better -- people don't know this shit when they should

soakrates

I like the sound of those Guy changes. I didn't know run-stop recovery was being reduced by one frame. Strong-fierce target combo into run-stop being +2 on block could prove to be a substantial buff, what with the improved target combo hitbox, faster walk speed and 3-frame c.lk. I'd say that's a good trade for his weakened anti-air.

Still gotta rep Yang though. Cancelable far s.mp is too fun.

best thing to do with just ok fried chicken is bake it in the oven when you get home

heats it up, gets it crispier and more greasy, tastes so much better -- people don't know this shit when they should

I do this at as well, but I do it to get less greasy (and more crispy of course). I back it on a rack and all the extra fat under the skin renders out. I use to do it with left over KFC chicken when my brother used to work there years ago.

And the Conan video playing in Cowboys stadium looked fun. Always wanted to do that as well when I first saw the screen in there.

Silky

Banned

I do that with their biscuits actually

Grakl

I do this at as well, but I do it to get less greasy (and more crispy of course). I back it on a rack and all the extra fat under the skin renders out. I use to do it with left over KFC chicken when my brother used to work there years ago.

And the Conan video playing in Cowboys stadium looked fun. Always wanted to do that as well when I first saw the screen in there.

huh, it gets less greasy for you? haven't done it in a couple months, maybe I remember wrong

either way, damn so crispy and good

Just to be all cynical, why wouldn't a dev enable special PS3 controllers (sticks, driving wheels) if they can? This is just what people have been saying, that it's up to the devs. I don't know personally for sure.

Maybe they have a new deal license deal for a new PS4 stick, and what the fan base to get that?

Maybe it's understandable. It's a business, not a charity. idk. Maybe they just don't want to for whatever reason.

Kimosabae

Banned
Yeah, financially it makes no sense to enable older sticks when you know people are more than willing to throw down another $100 or more on them.

Are they? I know I'm not. Especially if Mad Catz decides to keep the sticks from being dual-compatible. I was willing to support that at the outset because I appreciated the effort from MC, but their sticks can't justify their prices anymore without making them dual-compatible imo. I'll be going with Qanba or some other manufacturer.

Horseress

He is pretty bad. I'm not going to go into a long diatribe but do people not understand that I'm playing tons of offstream matches with rose? I'm not getting top 8 because of sim. same case at final round. tons of bad matchups.
here is a link from NeoGaf's favorite site in the world, eventhubs with my matchup chart that i got blown up for as "not knowing what I'm talking about"

http://www.eventhubs.com/tiers/sf4/share/?user=Sabin&char=dhalsim

Overall score: 168
Favorable matches: 5
Even matches: 9
Unfavorable matches: 24
Unrated matches: 0

low level play = Sim top 5
high level play = Sim bottom 10

I play Hakan, Hawk, Dan, and Dhalsim, and of those 4, Dhalsim is the worst imo.

Major problems:

--Weak antiair: Sim's antiairs all require startup time and all take a big commitment. I can't throw a fireball and then use my invincible dragon punch if the opponent jumps; if I don't have enough frames to start a back+hk, back+mp, ex blast, etc, I have almost nothing. Lots of characters have jump attacks that beat Sim's normal antiairs if they get the timing or spacing right. If they get the jump in, they take 1/4-1/3 of my life and I'm put in a bad situation, while if I get the antiair, I deal like 90 damage, so the incentives are not in my favor. I can do a u1 for the opponent to land on, but if they empty jump, I might be screwed, and my comeback potential is screwed without u1 as well. And if an opponent character can change its jump arc, then Sim is totally screwed because all his antiairs require big commitments. If I see Seth jumping at me and I do back+mp, but he delayed himself slightly with divekick startup, then I'm totally screwed. Or if I see Cammy jumping at me and I do ex blast, but she shortens her jump with divekick, then I'm totally screwed. Too many characters can do this.

--Weak damage: Nobody is scared of getting punishing by Dhalsim. People do otherwise stupid things like random dps and random jump ins and random focuses because they're just not worried about Sim's potential damage output.

--Weak mobility: Even with a teleport and instant air teleport, Sim's mobility is weak compared to much of the cast. His walk speeds and dash speeds are awful, his slides are all very negative on block, and his drills and mummy are slow and don't cause much hitstun or blockstun.

--Bad up close defense: There's a really frustrating range not far in front of Sim where he doesn't really have the tools to deal with the opponent's offense. Nothing invincible, nothing damage, no combos without counterhit, no fast or invincible focus breakers, etc. This range sucks.

--Snowball effect: With my bad antiair, I'm susceptible to getting jumped in on. When the opponent jumps in, I have bad mobility and bad up close defense, so I'm screwed.

--Risky offense: Sim has such trouble zoning in some matchups that playing offense might be preferable. He has good safe jumps and crossups and frame traps actually, but the risk reward is not in his favor. Oh, I mistimed a safe jump? I eat dp fadc ultra and get knocked down and now I'm screwed. I guessed wrong in frame traps? I get knocked down and now I'm screwed. I guessed right? I deal minor damage. Also, making comebacks can be really tough. He only has a couple tools to force mixups, like u1 and in some cases ex fire. Without those, the opponent basically has to let himself get hit.

I don't want all of those weaknesses fixed because then he'd be too good. Sim is getting more damage in USF4, so hopefully he can make people think twice about some things and play a bit more effectively on offense. But his antiair, up close defense, and mobility still suck.

I feel like he'll be a little bit better in absolute terms, but relative to most of the rest of the cast I think he still sounds weak.

Great post, I got your point, and now thinking about... it's like Sim isn't made for this game! Like, if you buff him like they're doing now, he'll be "only a bit better", but buffing him a lot may make him too good. It's a hard ass character to balance, but I think they at least should have a better anti-air, would already make him so much better

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Like I agree some STUPID shit has been said in the Smash threads that deserve criticism and I can understand why some here are frustrated but I'm not sure ridiculing them here or pulling their posts over here to point and laugh at them is healthy or accomplishes much. It's just an attitude that doesn't sit well with me - little pockets of the site lording over and ridiculing other little pockets of the site. If anything is to be done, I feel confronting or ignoring them is more productive.
Forgot to quote this post earlier, but I agree 100%.

FGW is guilty of this when it comes to fighting game threads in Gaming as well. It's healthy for discussion, even if there are occasional ignorant posters. Last thing the FGC needs is more insularity or elitism... people already have no tolerance for average players/casuals and spite anything not done in the interest of the hardcore (which is perhaps even more disappointing).

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Great post, I got your point, and now thinking about... it's like Sim isn't made for this game! Like, if you buff him like they're doing now, he'll be "only a bit better", but buffing him a lot may make him too good. It's a hard ass character to balance, but I think they at least should have a better anti-air, would already make him so much better
I think they could do a lot with just damage buffs. After all, zoning only works when they have to respect it.

Kalamari

Are they? I know I'm not. Especially if Mad Catz decides to keep the sticks from being dual-compatible. I was willing to support that at the outset because I appreciated the effort from MC, but their sticks can't justify their prices anymore without making them dual-compatible imo. I'll be going with Qanba or some other manufacturer.

Even the new Hori stick offers something more than just single console compatibility with it's PS3/PS4 support. Competition heating up in arcade stick world.

Although I lust after other brands, I will still probably support Madcatz because of their effort towards supporting the FGC. Hopefully they come out with a good PS4 stick.

vocab

I think they could do a lot with just damage buffs. After all, zoning only works when they have to respect it.
Well zoning means shit when theres focus attack and now red focus. That's the main problem. Now when the opponent has enough for a red focus, Sim is basically put his fists into a bear trap.

vocab

Yup. My mcz didn't even work with my PC, and now its not gonna work with ps4? Ya there's a reason I sold it. Looking for the next dual modded qanba or something from hori. I'm not paying 200 for a ps4 only stick.

Kimosabae

Banned
Yup. My mcz didn't even work with my PC, and now its not gonna work with ps4? Ya there's a reason I sold it. Looking for the next dual modded qanba or something from hori. I'm not paying 200 for a ps4 only stick.

The price of next-gen entry is enough already, I won't be getting a new system until a fg is released, and I'm expected to pay another 200 for a single-mod stick on top of that?

No.

I appreciate where MC has brought us but enough is enough

JeTmAn81

I'm definitely not happy about the prospect of having to buy new sticks for new systems which feature no new useful functionality. There's no good reason why the sticks can't be made compatible with the new systems. Also, dual compatibility will definitely be a big factor in any upcoming stick purchases I make.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Well zoning means shit when theres focus attack and now red focus. That's the main problem. Now when the opponent has enough for a red focus, Sim is basically put his fists into a bear trap.
Sim was struggling as it is, so while red focus poses new obstacles he hasn't even gotten over older ones first.

Busaiku

OYZ4Rou.png

Virtua Fighter is literally anime now.

Well that might be true to an extent but that doesn't mean he can't get some of those issues addressed. I don't think he'd be too good if he got the current buffs he's getting, none of which is major, plus faster movement and recovery on drills, mummy, and slide. Nothing major, but enough for marginal benefits in dancing around fireballs, meeting Viper in the air, setting up frame traps, etc. I think that Sim would be more fun to play, more effective in bad matchups... and probably still lose to or go even with most of the cast heh.

Warpticon

It's not a matter of them *keeping* the sticks from being dual compatible. There is just no way to do so and stay in the console companies' good graces as a flagship licensed peripheral provider.

It's not a matter of them *keeping* the sticks from being dual compatible. There is just no way to do so and stay in the console companies' good graces as a flagship licensed peripheral provider.

I thought he meant PS3-PS4 dual compatible. I don't think you can be official and have sony/ms cross going.

I always wondering about that weird, trashy official Soul Calibur 2 stick that was gamecube/xbox/ps2. I wonder how they go that deal.

He is pretty bad. I'm not going to go into a long diatribe but do people not understand that I'm playing tons of offstream matches with rose? I'm not getting top 8 because of sim. same case at final round. tons of bad matchups.
here is a link from NeoGaf's favorite site in the world, eventhubs with my matchup chart that i got blown up for as "not knowing what I'm talking about"

http://www.eventhubs.com/tiers/sf4/share/?user=Sabin&char=dhalsim

Overall score: 168
Favorable matches: 5
Even matches: 9
Unfavorable matches: 24

dang you have sim going even with blanka, adon, and fuerte?

this is mine heh: http://www.eventhubs.com/tiers/sf4/share/?user=UltraDavid&char=dhalsim

Overall score: 159
Favorable matches: 3
Even matches: 10
Unfavorable matches: 25

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Top Bottom