• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 1-7 | Guest characters are banned

Nyoro SF

To be fair about the hype, the "trailer" showed extremely little alpha-build quality gameplay.

Looks like they've just started working on SF5 in the past few months.

Sayah

Agreed. Also is it me or the hype for SFV not as great as one would've expected? Even with the exclusivity announce, it doesn't have that megaton touch on GAF(even though it is most definitely a fucking megaton).

Skimmed through a little bit of the thread.

Well......I've learned that there's a lot of graphic whores on this site. It's the Tekken 7 thread all over again.

CoD rehashes levels of previous titles with a copy/paste job and considering how those games sell, I barely see people complaining about that.

Here we have early footage of a game and people want to go on crusade against the game's graphics based on a few seconds of footage and ruin other people's excitement with their bitter opinions.

I like constructive criticism.

Not "this looks like shit."

foreplay? haggar being in the game might be hard unless they cut one of the known grapplers. i'm willing to sacrifice honda, t-hawk and abel. hopefully capcom doesn't let the roster leak this time and we can have some fun with character reveals.
Darthvadernooo!!.gif

Then, Namco took the route of creating F2P Tekken and SC games (to get some extra moneyzzzz) and now I think we are set for a new Tekken (already announced and in production) and SCVI. I wouldn't be surprised if the Soul Project is working on SCVI right now actually..........because what else could they be doing right now?

That f2p Calibur game gets new content every month (clothes, characters, quests). Looks like they get good money from it too in Japan.

Dahbomb

Skimmed through a little bit of the thread.

Well......I've learned that there's a lot of graphic whores on this site. It's the Tekken 7 thread all over again.

CoD rehashes levels of previous titles with a copy/paste job and considering how those games sell, I barely see people complaining about that.

Here we have early footage of a game and people want to go on crusade against the game's graphics based on a few seconds of footage and ruin other people's excitement with their bitter opinions.

I like constructive criticism.

Not "this looks like shit."
It's hardly surprising. SFV looks like a bigger upgrade than T7 but overall it's not big enough of an upgrade and the art style/character design hasn't been changed dramatically. What's more is that the animations seem lifted from SF4. To say it's an ambitious game would be overselling it.

Also casuals gonna casual and graphics whore gonna graphics whore. I will be getting both T7 and SFV.

Sayah

That f2p Calibur game gets new content every month (clothes, characters, quests). Looks like they get good money from it too in Japan.

Yeah, I know about those "updates." Looks like they're appealing to a specific fanbase for that stuff too. But that's not exactly major updates. It's more cosmetic stuff (from what I've seen). Soul team MUST be doing something bigger. Ever since SCV finished development, there has been no word on what the Soul team is up to aside from playing some role in development of Rise of Incarnates and Super Smash Bros. (which is also not major).

Sayah

It's hardly surprising. SFV looks like a bigger upgrade than T7 but overall it's not big enough of an upgrade and the art style/character design hasn't been changed dramatically. What's more is that the animations seem lifted from SF4. To say it's an ambitious game would be overselling it.

Also casuals gonna casual and graphics whore gonna graphics whore. I will be getting both T7 and SFV.

While I care about graphics, character design, art style, etc........that stuff is like of secondary or tertiary importance to me.

I'm more excited about new features and how the gameplay will evolve.

We've found that there's aerial blocking just from the snippet of footage we have and I'm more interested to learn what other new features they might be adding.

Yes, SFV seems to be playing it safe but it's fine to do that if you have a formula that's already working and you only want to expand on it instead of taking a huge risk on the franchise by substantially altering everything.

Tekken 4 is always a good example of this. Everyone then and now LOVED the new style, the designs, the graphics, and all the visual flair the game had. But what happened to the gameplay and the games balance?

People are always over prioritizing things that should be of secondary or tertiary concern. If the lack of change in costume design really bothers anyone THAT much, then buy the PC version and I'm sure there will be plenty of mods for getting whatever costume you want.

If you want a game only for looking at pretty scenery, then go play Assassin's Creed or something. :p

Tekken 7 looks beautiful. SFV looks beautiful. That's good enough for me. I don't need for it to be ZOOMMMGGGGGGGG.......THE GRAFIX@@@@!!!!!!

As long as it's not ugly like SFXTK, it's fine.

As long as it's not ugly like SFXTK, it's fine.

One of the things that bothered me when I first saw SFXTK is that everyone had the same lay down animation like there were Blanka. It made it look really goofy especially when the females laid down like that. At least when the characters were ported to USF4, they actually got proper animations for that now.

Sayah

One of the things that bothered me when I first saw SFXTK is that everyone had the same lay down animation like there were Blanka. It made it look really goofy especially when the females laid down like that. At least when the characters were ported to USF4, they actually got proper animations for that now.

Yes, I do recall that. The game was just not good at all visually.

I enjoyed pair play a lot though.

Not a fan of air blocking tbh

I am.

SCREW your shoryuken spam.

Dahbomb

I am pretty sure air blocking is going to work like in GG where dedicated anti airs can't be blocked but air to air moves can be blocked.

Otherwise things would get pretty stupid with jump ins.

fader

I am pretty sure air blocking is going to work like in GG where dedicated anti airs can't be blocked but air to air moves can be blocked.

Otherwise things would get pretty stupid with jump ins.

yea im not a fan of air blocks in SF because then it would limit defensive options.

.la1n

I hope they are adding a lot of new crazy mechanics. If I wanted an updated version of SF IV's fight engine I'd ask them to just keep patching that.

Marz

Yes, I do recall that. The game was just not good at all visually.

I enjoyed pair play a lot though.

I am.

SCREW your shoryuken spam.

Air blocking is definitely not going to stop people from uppercutting a lot.

If anything its just going to encourage people jumping around like kangaroos.

Basically I don't want them to turn SF into an anime game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Definitely lends more credence to Omega Mode being a backdoor SF5 beta.
Don't really believe this, it's more like open prototyping, but still they make the shit as ridiculous as possible so unless they're going full crazy on SF5, it's not really a good measure of anything.

Never owned a fight stick but I'm looking to buy one for my ps3/ps4. Anybody know a good one? Or any tips on buying one?
GAF's Arcade Stick thread is probably better equipped to help you, however I think some people here bought PS4 sticks recently and they can lend some impressions.

kirblar

Don't really believe this, it's more like open prototyping, but still they make the shit as ridiculous as possible so unless they're going full crazy on SF5, it's not really a good measure of anything.
I think some of the more extreme character play changes (charge->non-charge characters, variant moves/movesets, Half-bar supers) might be in play for SF5 if they want to try actually fixing characters like they should have fixed Tony Stark in MvC3.

Half-bar super art-type moves, though, definitely seem like a gameplay concept that could easily be in SF5 with little effort.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Son of a BITCH.

I didn't know Curleh Mustache was today, I though it was tomorrow. Looks like I missed 2 and a half hours of Marvel since I only noticed it about 30 minutes ago.

Shit.

Kuusoge

Son of a BITCH.

I didn't know Curleh Mustache was today, I though it was tomorrow. Looks like I missed 2 and a half hours of Marvel since I only noticed it about 30 minutes ago.

Shit.

Most of it was casuals since it started late. You didn't miss that much

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Most of it was casuals since it started late. You didn't miss that much

Kinda makes me feel better about it, but I never like to miss a single match at Curleh.

Thanks for the heads-up though, good to know at least.

Really sucks that this is going to overlap with The Game Awards too.

Besides jrosa, not sure.

Well that joke made me feel a bit better for missing the start of Curleh.

Top Bottom