• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 1-7 | Guest characters are banned

ggs sol, any criticisms you like to give me to help me get better?

Well, I don't know much about Peach specifically but I think you should have that turnip out more often especially to keep me off stage as Ganon. You actually got it right at some point and I thought you'd do it more. Same for blocked turnip into grab, I have a tendency to block too much that you didn't take advantage of as much as you could have even after having had success with your few attempts.

Also avoid committing too often to moves that leave you open such as up-smash (you did use down-smash a lot too but in situations where it was likely to hit and had more success with it).

Remember that you don't get invincibility again when you drop off and regrab the ledge immediately since that cost you a few stocks as well.

Well, I don't know much about Peach specifically but I think you should have that turnip out more often especially to keep me off stage as Ganon. You actually got it right at some point and I thought you'd do it more. Same for blocked turnip into grab, I have a tendency to block too much that you didn't take advantage of as much as you could have even after having had success with your few attempts.

Also avoid committing too often to moves that leave you open such as up-smash (you did use down-smash a lot too but in situations where it was likely to hit and had more success with it).

Remember that you don't get invincibility again when you drop off and regrab the ledge immediately since that cost you a few stocks as well.

I see. I've made so many mistakes in our matches, there at times that I don't know what I'm doing as well. I've just picked up Peach but not doing so well. I hope to get better with her.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
You're too pure to find out, Yams.

j5YI2KN.png

Anything a scrub-ass KOFXIII player should know going until 98UM Final? I literally didn't know the game existed until they announced that it was coming to Steam, LOL. :p

Good matches Essay. It seems that you're better with the fundamentals and game knowledge but ghandi still looks down on me from above sometimes. Let's play again in Xrd!

She pulls a special bullet from her chest and fires like a "love shot" at the opponent that give them big gooey heart eyes IIRC.

COTY

"恋の弾丸はあと1発ありますよ"

My guess is that "one love shot (still) left"

Thanks. I I can only read hiragana/katana.

Can't wait to try out Elphelt and Sin.

xCobalt

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";141201934]If you guys value being competitive in fighting games at all, don't play Dragon Age. I'm probably gonna starve myself to death or lose my mind from sleep deprivation.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. Between SP and MP, I haven't played any other game since its release. I'll probably download injustice when I get the chance though. Maybe try out Xrd too.

Anything a scrub-ass KOFXIII player should know going until 98UM Final? I literally didn't know the game existed until they announced that it was coming to Steam, LOL. :p

Most importantly I guess, it's that there is nothing like hd cancels so you won't have to worry about long combos much. Also, there are three styles:
-Advanced which plays similarly to XIII (run/roll/build meter with attacks)
-Extra which replaces running with dashes, rolling with sidestepping, and you gain meter by charging it with ABC and allows for unlimited DMs when you're low on life but can't perform SDMs without full charge + low life.
-Ultimate that allows you to mix and match whatever you want from the previous two. Personally I like using Run/Roll/EX Meter.

Dahbomb

The Dragon Age post is insanely accurate... have not played anything except that game all week. Well actually I played some random kids games with my younger cousin but nothing serious.

You're gonna pick up the jpn version when the english version releases 1.5 weeks later?

I only double dip on fighting games. I have two copies of BBCT (one X360, one PS3), and two of BBCP. I'm heavily anticipating Xrd so I'm willing to double dip here.

12 days is a long time!

2. Comes out on Wensday in our time zone. 5pm EST 2PM PST

Forgot about that. It probably won't reach me until Friday though (if I'm lucky).

Kimosabae

Banned
I wish I had at least another month with +R - I was jut starting to get gud :(

Getting my fireball FRC corner pressure consistent and everything! And now it's all down the drain :(

Gotta find time to get one more session in with the boys before the reset.

fader

I wish I had at least another month with +R - I was jut starting to get gud :(

Getting my fireball FRC corner pressure consistent and everything! And now it's all down the drain :(

Gotta find time to get one more session in with the boys before the reset.

you can always play with Mike Z

Uraizen

Banned
Do we have a release date? I think I might go Madcatz, but I need it for Xrd on the 16th.

Okay, don't quote me on this, but the USFIV sticks are supposed to... wait, it's December. Okay, the USFIV sticks should be shipping soon, but there's supposedly going to be some sort of promo for them at the Capcom Cup this month. Waiting might not hurt a bit to see what's what. Even if you have to put up with pad for a bit.

0edCUI9.png

Ready to XRD

#waifustick

The placement of Bullet on that stick is godlike.

Azure J

Oh shit I totally forgot about Xrd coming this week. Wow.

How the fuck am I going to play all these games and GAF at the same time mang? At least this annoying ass semester is coming to a close soon.

some people wanna play early, some people are getting both, some people are getting JP on the cheap and then getting eng.

This reminds me I still need to get a gameshare for the PS3 version. I do plan to get the NA version, but I need Xrd now, and sadly getting Xrd at full price now doesn't fit within my budget D:

Fighting game gurus, is there a way for someone who absolutely sucks in fighting games to at least be halfway decent?

Everyone keeps saying babies and grandmas can play Smash Bros but even I can't play it :(

In any fighting game, I feel like there are so many inputs to memorize and the action on screen is so fast that I end up button-mashing before I even start executing a strategy.

With Smash Bros I played the demo and while it seems cool, I have no idea what's happening on screen 90% of the time. I win though (it's on Easy).

I have:
- Mortal Kombat (PS3)
- SFIV (PS3)
- Persona 4 Arena

All fighting games released on IGC on Vita (Guilty Gear, SFxTekken, etc..)

Halp :(

fader

yea i might try to see if someone wants to gameshare with me cause i dont wanna deal with yen to dollar currency.

Oh shit I totally forgot about Xrd coming this week. Wow.

How the fuck am I going to play all these games and GAF at the same time mang? At least this annoying ass semester is coming to a close soon.

the trick is to remember that playing games is more important than posting on gaf

Fighting game gurus, is there a way for someone who absolutely sucks in fighting games to at least be halfway decent?

if you're capable of learning, thinking, and practicing, then you can be godlike at most anything

and probably halfway decent at everything

fader

The best way honestly is to study. If you want to get better you gotta understand what better is. Not a lot of people have the natural mindset to understand what high level fighting game playing is and if you are in that majority watching commentated gameplay listening to how the announcers describe whatever button they use and why they use it is extremely valuable. Don't focus on the technical aspects yet such as frame data worry about the mindset.

heres a pretty good vid by GAFs very own Maximillian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGtOnGVHtoI&channel=Miles923
and heres a very good video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyeDlrIC-z8&channel=finallyanime

understanding fighting game terminology is a great benefit to getting better to understand mosdt guides and videos out there

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";141201934]If you guys value being competitive in fighting games at all, don't play Dragon Age. I'm probably gonna starve myself to death or lose my mind from sleep deprivation.[/QUOTE]

DA is good? I played the last two briefly but couldn't get into it.

Zissou

DA:O was great but DAII was hot garbage, so I haven't paid any attention to the third. Did Bioware actually redeem themselves?

Okay, don't quote me on this, but the USFIV sticks are supposed to... wait, it's December. Okay, the USFIV sticks should be shipping soon, but there's supposedly going to be some sort of promo for them at the Capcom Cup this month. Waiting might not hurt a bit to see what's what. Even if you have to put up with pad for a bit.

The placement of Bullet on that stick is godlike.
You think the discount will be significant? I can wait if that is the case....

Everyone keeps saying babies and grandmas can play Smash Bros but even I can't play it :(

In any fighting game, I feel like there are so many inputs to memorize and the action on screen is so fast that I end up button-mashing before I even start executing a strategy.

With Smash Bros I played the demo and while it seems cool, I have no idea what's happening on screen 90% of the time. I win though (it's on Easy).

I have:
- Mortal Kombat (PS3)
- SFIV (PS3)
- Persona 4 Arena

All fighting games released on IGC on Vita (Guilty Gear, SFxTekken, etc..)

Halp :(
I started out as spammy trash a few years ago. I think my play is respectable now. Anyone can do it if you take the time. 15 minutes a day practicing whatever new input you are learning.

Top Bottom