• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 1-7 | Guest characters are banned

Anne

GG gives you 5f of throw invul as you are coming out of blockstun. In a tick-throw situation, you would have more time to jump. (By 1 extra frame)

This is also why jabbing/poking a throw attempt is always an option. Unless you are Axl who does not have a 5-framer. But he's designed to suck against cmdThrows anyways.

You poke on the way up, not on the way down. Like Street Fighter meaty jumpback overheads. That's why you can go straight off the numbers.
Buut, I forgot to take in to account the timeslow from the YRC. That tightens things up a lot more.

Game is almost out. We'll be able to hash it all out soon enough. I don't think it'll be that bad. Worst case scenario, it all turns in to a YRC showdown. You see some of that happening already. Which is par for the course in Guilty Gear. Calls back to FRC showdowns where a lot of meter gets spent, but no one gets hurt.

They tend to let 'broke' stuff like this rock. See how it all pans out before intervening. YRC windows are adjustable. I think they let Sol have a whiff YRC on his cmd.throw because his cmdThrow does not have any throw invincibility. Counter throwing his cmd.throw is a viable option. And it still complies with the overall rule of: Attacks beats throws. Throws beat block. Block beat attacks.

Someone posted on Dustloop that we'd be able to play Xrd on the 2nd @ 5pm EST, but the 3rd makes more sense. Typo?

Also, I stumbled on some German guy practicing #reload Johnny on twitch, and I spent 3 hours with him, teaching stuff.

Ye the YRC slowdown is what makes it kinda work, and really establishes the fact you need to just choose mash before it gets to that point. If you upback mash yeah you should hit, but you need to be mashing pre YRC, if you just up back it should be #gotem

Also the thing about the 12/2 dates is there was an error with the PSN store saying the localized date instead of the JP date for one of its messages. 12/3 at 5PM EST we can play.

Beckx

You people need to tell me how you are not bored out of your mind when playing that game. I still haven't figured out how to stay interested enough to make it past the first area.

The tutorial section is not great until the final fight. Play on hard and use tac cam. I really like the combat and exploration, so far I'm 20 hours in and almost all of that spent in Hinterlands, the first big area.

I liken it to a mash up of Skyrim (exploration), Xenoblade (mmo skill influence, gamepad control), and mid-2000s bioware. I like it more than DAO, and I loved that game.

As in all things, ymmv, (But play on hard)

Oh and I love how ditching healing spells for a barrier/guard system affected tactical combat.

---

I like Ky so far in Xrd. Going to wait for NA version for translated tutorials.

thanks to sensitive gaf, i am now concerned as to what actually happens during the flashing scenes when you get caught by AKUMA's RAGING DEMON
That thread feels like a new low in trolling on this website. Outside of the complete lack of evidence in the OP's favor, it would be incredibly bizarre for Bayonetta to be friends with someone who is constantly raping her.

Onemic

That thread feels like a new low in trolling on this website. Outside of the complete lack of evidence in the OP's favor, it would be incredibly bizarre for Bayonetta to be friends with someone who is constantly raping her.

I havent played bayonetta, so I dont know the connection between the two, but at the very least it heavily implies that they banged.

I'm always wary of people who feel like they need to police what others are allowed to be offended by. You have no idea what their life experiences are or what might trigger them. Drop it.

Beats

Who are the best players for each character in Xrd right now? Wanna check out some match vids for all of them.

you know who has no problems with black screen multi hitting finishing moves?

ImagenesNuevasps3sf4Gen.jpg

EDIT: on 2nd thought, maybe Gen isn't the best representation given the implications

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh dear not this in here too. Rape from friends is not a particularly uncommon form of rape, nor is deriving an abusing relationship out of that.

Thread isn't sensitive at all, if anything it's a good litmus test for people who are so gung-ho pro-Platinum they refuse to see that "context" can imply more than perspective even though they're using the same reasoning as the other side. I'm pretty against trying to make everything an issue in video games, but what OP had was worthy of discussion and calling it just a raging demon is being intentionally disingenuous. It's been a while since I've seen a GAF thread full of so many fallacies and selective ignorance.

Sayad

Who are the best players for each character in Xrd right now? Wanna check out some match vids for all of them.

Pot: FAB
Millia: Nakamura, Woshige
Ram: Daiji
Faust: Nage, Gazou
Zato-1: Ogawa
I-No: Hasegawa
Sol: Machaboo(not sure if he still play the game)

Infinite

Oh dear not this in here too. Rape from friends is not a particularly uncommon form of rape, nor is deriving an abusing relationship out of that.

Thread isn't sensitive at all, if anything it's a good litmus test for people who are so gung-ho pro-Platinum they refuse to see that "context" can imply more than perspective even though they're using the same reasoning as the other side. I'm pretty against trying to make everything an issue in video games, but what OP had was worthy of discussion and calling it just a raging demon is being intentionally disingenuous. It's been a while since I've seen a GAF thread full of so many fallacies and selective ignorance.
Pretty much the reason why the thread is bizarre to me.

Beats

Pot: FAB
Millia: Nakamura, Woshige
Ram: Daiji
Faust: Nage, Gazou
Zato-1: Ogawa
I-No: Hasegawa
Sol: Machaboo(not sure if he still play the game)

Thanks! Only really knew about FAB and Ogawa. What about characters like May or Axl?

Riposte

I stand by everything I said in that thread, particularly in reply to Karst. Context is this case is not (only) plot and characterization, but style and tone (patterns we can see throughout the game). There's nothing clear or obvious about it, which is why the question can be asked in the first place. That said, see no reason for it be discussed here.

Pompadour

I don't know if you read further (OP doesn't make a good argument) but it's a Raging Demon where the victim ends up nude clutching their ass while Akuma relaxes and enjoys a cigar.

So yeah, it's a sex joke and one that's implied to be nonconsensual. Sure, CANONICALLY Rodin didn't rape her and Bayonetta getting beat up she does lose her clothes yadda yadda yadda.

But Kamiya clearly told them to put in a reference to the Raging Demon where it looks like Bayonetta got fucked at the end. I think it would be crazy to argue otherwise.

Now, how grave of an offense this joke is up to the viewer. I think it's a bit tasteless and the sort of thing a Western developer wouldn't do considering the climate in game development now but I don't think over at Platinum they thought much of it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I stand by everything I said in that thread, particularly in reply to Karst. Context is this case is not (only) plot and characterization, but style and tone (patterns we can see throughout the game). There's nothing clear or obvious about it, which is why the question can be asked in the first place. That said, see no reason for it be discussed here.
Yeah I apologize for contributing to this further. Had me feeling some type of way.

casperOne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWfk3tOJjaQ&list=PLj34EySs1IeaAqwsVY_P43mP13AD1Pp3R#t=62

Nice timing (coincides with my reference to Karate Champ in the player spotlight this week)!

Also, I think your point of not being able to go back to games with the simplicity of Karate Champ is debatable. Divekick (love it or hate it) and other games like it (e.g. Leathal League) have shown that you can.

Also, I think your point of not being able to go back to games with the simplicity of Karate Champ is debatable. Divekick (love it or hate it) has shown that you can.

mobile games have shown you can still have big success with simple concepts.

i am skeptical of games with simplicity being successful in terms of competitive nature.

EDIT: not to say divekick wasn;t succesful, but does it have the pull for a divekick 2 to have some sort of impact

Anne

I still stand by Airdash Academy vids are a bit misleading in the fact that they say some pretty questionable things at times, but most people aren't informed enough and the presentation is enough to make people stick with them.

Edit: btdubs, conversation about bayo is kinda eh and might need a TW. Not saying that convo can't and shouldn't happen but if it stays in here I'm out for a bit :T

my copy of Smash should be here today. Not looking forward to unlocking everyone again
Why is this still a practice for competitive games? If they want to please SP fans, leave them as unlocks but provide a button combination code to have everyone available from the start in versus modes too.

i get ticked off whenever i have to redo the challenges in sf4 after every pc wipe. or when i lost my tags and titles

I don't really think they had a choice if they wanted to sell it. No matter the perceived depth, I don't know who would have paid for that little content where you could have arguably had someone whip up a similar demo on an iPhone or Newgrounds or whatever and put some ads on it. It's a fun game to muck around in if you have 5 minutes to spare, but it's kind of missing that hook, and I think that's reflected in the elevator pitch.

I mean you can only go so far on a game based on an FGC meme

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah, there's just too much crap in the game. The original Idiocracy-tastic "commercial" was a good place IMO.
I don't really think they had a choice if they wanted to sell it. No matter the perceived depth, I don't know who would have paid for that little content where you could have arguably had someone whip up a similar demo on an iPhone or Newgrounds or whatever and put some ads on it. It's a fun game to muck around in if you have 5 minutes to spare, but it's kind of missing that hook, and I think that's reflected in the elevator pitch.

Sol: Machaboo, Roi, Mugen Jonio, Inoue
Ky: Ain, Rion
Ramlethal: Karinchu, Batako, Sharon, min, hohiko
Bedman: Tsubu, LOX, JT
Ino: Hasegawa, 2rio, U-Zen
Venom: Fino, Heven, 310, Sanma, Isamu
Slayer: Hase, Taka
Axl: Niiyama, Shuuto, Gonzaburou, BLE, Utsuda
Faust: Nage, Gazou, OsakaB, Kisha(Kiisha)
Chipp: Samitto, Endou
Zato-1: Ogawa, Tsu, Shachou, PEN-chan
May: Azesuke, Kedako, MK, Ruu, Kazuki,
Millia: Woshige, Nakamura, Satou, Karinchu, Toruso, eki-chan
Potemkin: FAB, Konsome

EDIT: Here's a video database a friend of mine made: http://keeponrock.in/match/search_form#content

EDIT 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO

Infinite

I still stand by Airdash Academy vids are a bit misleading in the fact that they say some pretty questionable things at times, but most people aren't informed enough and the presentation is enough to make people stick with them.

Edit: btdubs, conversation about bayo is kinda eh and might need a TW. Not saying that convo can't and shouldn't happen but if it stays in here I'm out for a bit :T
Assume I'm bad at airdashers, would I get anything out of the videos or would it lead me astray?

cafeid's playing the QQ version of KOF '98 UM FE on stream ATM
Would this be a decent preview of the Steam version that's coming so far? I have no experience with this service, and most of the stuff I can find about it just fawns over how big and bad Tencent is, so I don't know what they or SNK would have to change when they port it over.

Anne

Assume I'm bad at airdashers, would I get anything out of the videos or would it lead me astray?

I'm not gonna say they're straight garbage or anything, but they encourage and lean to a line of thinking that I think isn't great down the road. Plus you might notice a lot of things layed out in ways to draw comparisons or illustrate something in a way that's NOT how it works, especially in common context of these games.

Infinite

poor OSCA... always overlooked...
The sports car or the Tokyo Jihen song?

I'm not gonna say they're straight garbage or anything, but they encourage and lean to a line of thinking that I think isn't great down the road. Plus you might notice a lot of things layed out in ways to draw comparisons or illustrate something in a way that's NOT how it works, especially in common context of these games.
I see what you mean from watching a few episodes. Maybe it's due to most of the vids being under 10 minutes in length.

What would you suggest? Honestly I played guilty gear a ton but I didn't play guilty gear. I'm just trying to bolster my understand of the games fundamentals so I can erase my bad habits moving into Xrd.

Krackatoa

Smash 4 isn't slow. It's pretty fast. Melee, like Marvel, is just hyper speed.

It's still pretty slow, in the sense that what was good in Brawl is good here. The game is too defensive, and if you aren't playing top tier, the games can take a long time to finish. We had a tournament recently, and with a reduced format (2 stock/5 minutes), good players (easily the best in the region) were going to timeout in every match.

Top Bottom