• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 1-7 | Guest characters are banned

Is Morrigan's Eternal Slumber hyper in MvC1 implying rape?

Serious question here.
Someone actually brought it up as another example of implied rape, and I responded to it here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=141261316&postcount=1047

The entire point of Morrigan is to have sexual innuendo about something not sexual at all. If you replaced her with a crazed madman, the innuendo wouldn't even be present. When she says something like "Oooo, that fight was so titilating", the insinuation is intended, but it's not actually what Morrigan is referring to. Like Rodin, she gets off on the fight.

I don't know if you read further (OP doesn't make a good argument) but it's a Raging Demon where the victim ends up nude clutching their ass while Akuma relaxes and enjoys a cigar.

So yeah, it's a sex joke and one that's implied to be nonconsensual. Sure, CANONICALLY Rodin didn't rape her and Bayonetta getting beat up she does lose her clothes yadda yadda yadda.

But Kamiya clearly told them to put in a reference to the Raging Demon where it looks like Bayonetta got fucked at the end. I think it would be crazy to argue otherwise.

Now, how grave of an offense this joke is up to the viewer. I think it's a bit tasteless and the sort of thing a Western developer wouldn't do considering the climate in game development now but I don't think over at Platinum they thought much of it.
Did you actually watch the video? She isn't "clutching" her ass. Her hand is laying on it gracefully.

It's incredible how obtuse people are.

Anne

The sports car or the Tokyo Jihen song?

I see what you mean from watching a few episodes. Maybe it's due to most of the vids being under 10 minutes in length.

What would you suggest? Honestly I played guilty gear a ton but I didn't play guilty gear. I'm just trying to bolster my understand of the games fundamentals so I can erase my bad habits moving into Xrd.

This is the problem, we don't have much stuff like that to provide for GG. This is why AA is linked, because it looks nice and there isn't anything better as far as introductory vids go. Omex worked really hard for Persona, like /insanely/ hard to get that out. Unfortunately we don't have that person for GG, probably has to do with the majority of the people who can make those vids coming from a time where you didn't make those vids.

Infinite

This is the problem, we don't have much stuff like that to provide for GG. This is why AA is linked, because it looks nice and there isn't anything better as far as introductory vids go. Omex worked really hard for Persona, like /insanely/ hard to get that out. Unfortunately we don't have that person for GG, probably has to do with the majority of the people who can make those vids coming from a time where you didn't make those vids.

It doesn't have to be a video. I don't mind reading through something as expansive as domination 101 at this point.

Rhapsody

Banned
It's still pretty slow, in the sense that what was good in Brawl is good here. The game is too defensive, and if you aren't playing top tier, the games can take a long time to finish. We had a tournament recently, and with a reduced format (2 stock/5 minutes), good players (easily the best in the region) were going to timeout in every match.
That's how I feel too (besides top tier making faster matches).

It's not too unusual to see matches lasting around 5 minutes unless you see some major screw ups through DI and such.

Edit: At the very least, matches end faster than Brawl through the ledge mechanics and no momentum cancelling

I believe the twitch archive got nuked to high hell by Copyright Music Cops. Gotta wait for a Rebel Up Youtube upload, if they do that.
Yeah, I couldn't find it.

Thank you dood!

EDIT: Beaten :(

EDIT 2: FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY EFFING LIFE AS A GAFFER THE QUICK EDIT WINDOW CLOSED!!! WHOOOOOOOO

Thank you GAF, I used to close or open in new tab.

casperOne

I still stand by Airdash Academy vids are a bit misleading in the fact that they say some pretty questionable things at times, but most people aren't informed enough and the presentation is enough to make people stick with them.

I didn't mean to detract from the videos, I definitely want to watch them. That statement alone isn't enough to make me want to not watch them (and obviously, I have no airdasher experience).

Is Morrigan's Eternal Slumber hyper in MvC1 implying rape?

Serious question here.

Make a thread?

OMG IT'S REAL.

I thought the site was broken when it worked.

I don't really think they had a choice if they wanted to sell it. No matter the perceived depth, I don't know who would have paid for that little content where you could have arguably had someone whip up a similar demo on an iPhone or Newgrounds or whatever and put some ads on it. It's a fun game to muck around in if you have 5 minutes to spare, but it's kind of missing that hook, and I think that's reflected in the elevator pitch.
The interesting comparison is with Nidhogg, which managed to keep the symmetrical character thing all the way to release. And even then Messhof has expressed interest in adding new weapons to the game. But Nidhogg has a much larger decision tree than Divekick so the comparison isn't as apt.

Sol: Machaboo, Roi, Mugen Jonio, Inoue
Ky: Ain, Rion
Ramlethal: Karinchu, Batako, Sharon, min, hohiko
Bedman: Tsubu, LOX, JT
Ino: Hasegawa, 2rio, U-Zen
Venom: Fino, Heven, 310, Sanma, Isamu
Slayer: Hase, Taka
Axl: Niiyama, Shuuto, Gonzaburou, BLE, Utsuda
Faust: Nage, Gazou, OsakaB, Kisha(Kiisha)
Chipp: Samitto, Endou
Zato-1: Ogawa, Tsu, Shachou, PEN-chan
May: Azesuke, Kedako, MK, Ruu, Kazuki,
Millia: Woshige, Nakamura, Satou, Karinchu, Toruso, eki-chan
Potemkin: FAB, Konsome

EDIT: Here's a video database a friend of mine made: http://keeponrock.in/match/search_form#content

EDIT 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO

New candidate gonna be on the I-No ballot in two weeks ^_^ Primaries ain't even over yet.

Clawww

so there's still no way to use PS3 sticks on PS4 for Xrd, right? That extra $200 or however much is keeping me from buying the game + PS4 when it comes out

Dahbomb

Someone actually brought it up as another example of implied rape, and I responded to it here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=141261316&postcount=1047

The entire point of Morrigan is to have sexual innuendo about something not sexual at all. If you replaced her with a crazed madman, the innuendo wouldn't even be present. When she says something like "Oooo, that fight was so titilating", the insinuation is intended, but it's not actually what Morrigan is referring to. Like Rodin, she gets off on the fight. .
So Morrigan is just beating the crap out of the other person behind the curtain? That's a stretch if you ask me. Why would you need a curtain then?

Play Soldnerkei on here and tell me Link is slow.

Too many people criticize this game without knowing what they can do in it.
I never stated that Link can't do much. I said that Link feels much slower, ad as a result the character isn't that fun to play. Keep in mind I'm still playing Link and have done for over 10 years. I even loaded up Brawl an can tell he is slow. I don't like the change.

That's like saying SFIV is slow because Dhalsim is slow....and I don't even think Link is THAT slow
I'm using my mains as an example. I play every character in Smash and can tell you that the games speed overall isn't as good as people claimed It to be. "a mix of Brawl and Melee" is incredibly wrong. Even the fast characters like Falcon(as I stated before) feel weighed down.
When did people last play Brawl?

Thanks.

Oh man I need to test this!
Edit: it works! WTF!?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
what did I say about comparing people to yams

4jQ1M.png

fader

Lol PS3 players
BG49S.gif

I was disappointed when i saw this being a ps3 user but then I thought...

"sure you can disable ps3 users, but then you heavily drop your chances of finding players"

and heres the info on unlockables stolen from dustloop

dustloop user "Sourenga" said:
MISSION MODE:
Apparently, there's around 30~40 missions for each character. A total of 511 missions.

NETWORK MODE:
(I don't remember if ArcSys already revealed these on their Tweets or not...)

- In PS4 version, you can exclude PS3 players from your Ranked Match search
- In PS4 version, creator of a Player Match room can disable the use of Share function from everyone in the room.

ARCADE MODE:
Apparently, by playing the Arcade Mode on normal difficulty and 2 rounds to win, you'll gain about 7100 W$

GALLERY MODE:

Icons: 1000 W$ each
Plates: 5000 W$ each
Words for a Title: 100 W$ each
Gallery Illustrations: 500~2000 W$ each
Old GG Songs: 8000 W$ each
Loketest Voices: 1000 W$ each
Voices from Getting Instant Killed: 2000 W$ each

Sin Kiske: 200 000 W$

>_> Yeah, a quick calculation says you need to beat the Arcade Mode for about 30 times with the settings previously mentioned...
Of course, there might be a better way to gain money, but... People might seriously want to consider buying that DLC unlock.

EDIT: Source for some of the stuff, just in case someone who can read Japanese wants to check...

source

I was disappointed when i saw this being a ps3 user but then I thought...

"sure you can disable ps3 users, but then you heavily drop your chances of finding players"

and heres the info on unlockables stolen from dustloop

source

i'll take faster loading times over more players

So Morrigan is just beating the crap out of the other person behind the curtain? That's a stretch if you ask me. Why would you need a curtain then?
The same reason Morrigan walks up to someone, wraps her arms around them lovingly, giggles seductively, flies up into the air, and then pile drives them into the ground. It's what her character is! Sexual innuendo as a fighting style.

I never stated that Link can't do much. I said that Link feels much slower, ad as a result the character isn't that fun to play. Keep in mind I'm still playing Link and have done for over 10 years. I even loaded up Brawl an can tell he is slow. I don't like the change.
I don't think I said you said he can't do much. I do think he is faster than you give him credit for, though.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I can't wait to become full anime when I get a PS4. I hope they port over Uniel... I really want my own copy on PS4. If not, I'll bite on PS3.

Sayad

You mean LOL... the majority?
For the Japanese version, probably. But in the west, PS4 versions have been outselling PS3 versions for a while now, Xrd is a special case where you'd need a new arcade stick but I'd still say it's possible that this could end up selling more on PS4.

Also, being able to turn off playing against PS3 players probably mean there's some negative side to that. We'll find out soon, and it could change some minds as to which version to pick up.

Kumubou

I can't wait to become full anime when I get a PS4. I hope they port over Uniel... I really want my own copy on PS4. If not, I'll bite on PS3.
You'll be waiting a long while. At the rate French Bread works, they won't be releasing PS4 games until the PS5 is out.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I really wonder if we'll get any late upres'd ports of current fighting games on next gen consoles. This gen transition has been a bit of a weird one, and it seems like a lot of people are satisfied with double dipping and/or buying old games on their new consoles just to have them there and even for minor [graphical] improvements. People in this thread have expressed interest in say a next gen USFIV as well. As weird as it is, I can totally see Namco throwing TTT2 or SCV back up there for a quick buck while the market is hot.

Top Bottom