• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 22-28 | On the Xrd Day of Christmas

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
VFDC has run into the same problems with EHubs: stuff SRK will post EHubs won't. fuck 'em

Weird post coming from you, considering half your posts about the game are either you complaining about its hardcore nature or the netcode problems and threatening not to stick with it.

Really? I don't think I ever referred to it specifically as a bad game. I thought all of my complaints were based around the time investment and effort required to get anywhere.

Not to mention my comment doesn't apply to Xrd specifically but to the nature of the conversation that happens in these threads and how it is rather insular and rarely ventures outside the Capcom safe zone. Everyone is free to like what they like but its silly to complain about conversations not happening when you won't even step out of your own echo chamber.

I actually have no idea if Beef is trolling or not and if I got baited.

I'm surprised people are mad about EH. I did fighting game news in french for 4 years with friends and honestly it can be very demanding and heartbreaking to see what people are reading. When you post a shitty video about Daigo doing a 3 hit combo you do more trafic than going for a UNIEL mechanic analysis. It's not because UNIEL is bad or Daigo is amazing, it's just that people don't care about games, they care about fame and people.

I'm not sure about it but I think EH writers are paid and that EH is a business, not a fansite or a non profit organization. If that's the case then it's logical they don't write about small games like GG or SG and put more time finding content on games people like and buy more. It's a business decision and I respect that if they pay their writers as it's really hard to keep doing news.

it's just that people don't care about games, they care about fame and people.
This is true, I am nowhere near interested in USF4 as much as in say Pepedai and how he got exposure in America this year.

Edit: Although none of this should be surprising since people keep talking about community and scene when it comes to fighting games. These things appear to be inherently social and about human interaction, in one way or another.

Kimosabae

Banned
These things appear to be inherently social and about human interaction, in one way or another.

There you go. You're starting to get it ;)

The competitive approach is the motivating factor behind getting people with a shared passion together, for most people. Some value exploring a game's ceiling in-and-of-itself but those are relatively few.

And I never said you said Xrd was bad. You just seemed to be continuously frustrated with the prospect of having to invest time into getting any good at it and this was compounded by the network issues. I remember you making a comment in the passed day or two about giving up on the game in the Xrd thread, but if I'm wrong, forgive me.

Busaiku

Haha, Gamestop couldn't fulfill my PS3 order of the Guilty Gear Xrd LE.
Decided to go back to my decision of not buying it at all.

Thanks Aksys/Gamestop!

Nyoro SF

I'm surprised people are mad about EH. I did fighting game news in french for 4 years with friends and honestly it can be very demanding and heartbreaking to see what people are reading. When you post a shitty video about Daigo doing a 3 hit combo you do more trafic than going for a UNIEL mechanic analysis. It's not because UNIEL is bad or Daigo is amazing, it's just that people don't care about games, they care about fame and people.

I'm not sure about it but I think EH writers are paid and that EH is a business, not a fansite or a non profit organization. If that's the case then it's logical they don't write about small games like GG or SG and put more time finding content on games people like and buy more. It's a business decision and I respect that if they pay their writers as it's really hard to keep doing news.

Having done work for EH in the past a long time ago I assure you I posted significant anime/KOF/etc. items whenever possible, but it is heartbreaking when

1) No one notices or even checks it out. You get the tiniest numbers you wouldn't believe possible interested regardless of the quality of the piece you create or the video you feature. Like you said it's a profit business that pays its workers and you can't afford to have screen space taken up by things people don't read. It really does suck when you post something great, put a lot of effort in and hype it up and no one reads/watches it though.

2) The anime/other scene derides you and mocks you for even trying and takes time out of their day to be trolling assholes rather than say, comment positively on the extremely good video, writeup or item we featured. Prime example, launching a tier voting system just for Blazblue CP, only to have a decent sized subset of the anime community to go in and waste everyone's time with concentrated troll voting. This NEVER happened with a single Capcom/Smash game tier list vote by the way, and that's just one example!

Keep in mind despite this I still liked posting about other non-Capcom games on the site. But the vitriol, obnoxiousness and the whole "we're our own special little group on skype and we'll sit here hating or railing on every attempt to promote or post about *our* scene" is a real interest killer when you just want good content to get noticed like every other game has without trouble. At least people in comments have gotten a lot better about this over the years and the childish attitudes have died down significantly.

Village

Why does Pokken have to be 3D.

Because that's great

at least give me dissidia on PS4 so I can bop fools

I echo this sentiment

The world needs more jecht

a6qNS9D.png

The problem of Eventhubs is this lack of "featured" case on top of the website. They are right to not have it because it's not what people want today. When you see buzzfeed having so much viewers for posting non stop without any editorial will, you know it's not where you'll find constructive info.

SRK has a good team even if I think they were a bit active a few months ago. Still Pattheflip work is welcome.

I also feel like this entire thread was pumped for GG from announcement until...a week ago? I guess people are happy with another mundane SF update. Personally, I am having a blast with GG and Smash 4. But I also like playing fighting games. /shrug

kirblar

I also feel like this entire thread was pumped for GG from announcement until...a week ago? I guess people are happy with another mundane SF update. Personally, I am having a blast with GG and Smash 4. But I also like playing fighting games. /shrug
Omega definitely is stepping on it's toes, timing-wise. (I don't think this was intentional on Capcom's part either- the timing was sync'd with Capcom Cup.)

Nyoro SF

I'm having a lot of fun with Guilty Gear; I'm not that good, but I like the pace of the game a lot. Even fighting against Sol, the everyman character, is fun.

Unreliable netcode is a bit of a downer though. I'm glad I have offline players to play against, but I feel for those who don't.

People actually play games in this thread?
I just hit 450 For Glory matches in Smash. :)

I am mostly a training mode monster in GG Xrd for now. I need to get a few setups down so I'm not just mashing the shadow around with Zato. If I played a simpler character I would be online. I also learned the movesets for everyone else last night so I can know what to expect.

On that note: When Faust goes random teleport attack crazy, should I be able to react based on the screen shift?

Azure J

I'm still very excited to play it. Hell, I'm also playing a lot of Smash despite previous reservations/criticisms and looking forward to Street Fighter V.

oneida

Oneida (or anyone else) what would you want to see from a vf6?
right now I think FS is really good. the lazy throw escape system is controversial but imo 100% sound. damage is good. counter hits from hitting evades is good.

maybe bring stagger back on mids hitting crouch guard. don't bring MTE back because I'm bad at it.

make
it
pretty

Shouta

Also, Beef's abrasiveness aside, I'm not really hearing buzz about Xrd in general from the regular FGC denizens yet but that's probably due to the game being delayed so folks haven't gotten a chance to sit down with it yet.

I started practicing it last night myself. Did basic commands for a bunch of chars then started on Ramlethal's trials. Still gotta decide on a character but I definitely wanted to start with her first.

I'm still very excited to play it. Hell, I'm also playing a lot of Smash despite previous reservations/criticisms and looking forward to Street Fighter V.
I am actually enjoying Smash the more I play it. My previous hangups are largely overcome. The only thing that really drives me nuts is Bowser's latching being so awful.

Jumping forward and and then holding back should cover all of them.
Will the one behind you whiff? Does this place me at frame advantage?

Marz

People actually play games in this thread?

I play a lot. SF, Smash, and now Xrd added to the rotation every chance I get.

As for Xrd I find it strange how every character has 420 health? Why does Milia have the same health as Pot?

oneida

As for Xrd I find it strange how every character has 420 health? Why does Milia have the same health as Pot?
do the same combos work against every character? VF has 221 health across the board but differing weight classes means some characters get hit harder than others

Kumubou

Regarding Xrd, I'm not very hype because I don't want to spend the time learning a fighting game from the ground up, only to have all of that training wiped by a new update. Frankly, a lot of it is that I'm just done dealing with ArcSys' crap. That and the netcode being garbagola even by ArcSys standards isn't helping.

As for what I would want in a new VF... I will be absolutely serious: I have no clue. I think coming up with any significant changes without upending what the entire series represents is going to be extremely difficult. Honestly, I think there's more to be gained from pushing quality of life updates in terms of the game, and pushing to bring the core game to a bigger audience.

This is pretty common for anime fighters -- everyone has the same base health and instead various scaling factors are adjusted, which gives you an effective life total. It matters in games that can have a number of factors that effect health, like Arcana Heart. VF weight is interesting as it has zero effect on certain moves, but a huge effect in other situations.

oneida

VF6 needs 4Evo's quest mode to help bridge the gap between casual player to competitive player.

Top Bottom