• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT3| You're Here Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where's the Akarin figure?

213.gif

Sigh, I suck at taking pictures, my flash is messing with me and my tact for good shots is terrible. I'm uploading the pictures, soon I'll put them here.

About the figures, my favorite today was Jason, without a doubt. Damn, what a body.

Sigh, I suck at taking pictures, my flash is messing with me and my tact for good shots is terrible. I'm uploading the pictures, soon I'll put them here.

About the figures, my favorite today was Jason, without a doubt. Damn, what a body.
Did you see my one post?

Also I have no idea what this character is, but its clearly ludicrous.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
How lazy, they couldn't even be bothered to paint it.
While it does appear so, if you look carefully (my terrible photo not exactly helping here), her eyebrows are the right reddish colour and the gradient shadow on her forehead has a blue tinge.

Three pics of my Hibiki Figma that came in yesterday.

ssrUf2X.jpg

orUWqGe.jpg

5nfzTBP.jpg

The PSVita's camera is pretty bad so I'll have to see if I can get something better.

She looks pretty good positioned to the left of my computer monitor.

Now, what to do about the right side...

Bombless

Finally Corvo-kun's Qubeley has been shipped.

I still can't believe two Gundam kits were the winners hah. Looking forward to the completed kits!

VanillaCakeIsBurning - it goes like this : you get a few figures, you find space for them then immediately get annoyed by the fact you lack the proper photography tools to do them justice and get a camera. Your reactions are perfectly normal!

I need two things: lighting and somewhere to actually take the pictures, like a white room or something. I'm not ready yet to spend a grand or more in a camera.

I need two things: lighting and somewhere to actually take the pictures, like a white room or something. I'm not ready yet to spend a grand or more in a camera.

If you want white backgrounds some good poster board is a great way to do that. Or you could always build a cheap white box

Einbroch

Banned
You can get a really nice DSLR official refurb for ~$300-400 if you're patient. Slickdeals has camera deals on the frontpage all the time.

You can get a really nice DSLR official refurb for ~$300-400 if you're patient. Slickdeals has camera deals on the frontpage all the time.

Ya..get a cheaper DSLR and grab a nifty 50 or 35mm (prime lenses, means you can't adjust focal length) and spend a little time messing around and you will be taking great shots before ya know it :)

Mine was $300, doesn't need to be a grand, far from it. Have you seen my photos? That's pretty much a baseline APSc camera.

You DO NOT need a DSLR to get good photos. "DSLR" is just a fancy way of saying "large expensive mirror mechanism for the viewfinder". An APSC mirrorless will take exactly the same kind of photos (dependant on sensor, but all take good photos).
Interchangeable mirrorless with apsc will, in terms of final result, be incredibly close to most DSLRs, at a fraction of the cost. DSLR just tend to be a bit nicer to use (though actually more difficult, in some ways.)

Hell, a major upgrade to the Camera I have is only $400, refurbed right from Sony.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
There's a 1/1 Baby Groot ? I might need it :/ Who does it ?
I think Marvel kept it to make themselfs, but there's been no real word, Hot Toys only have the 1/6 and 1/4 scale... Watch someone like neca get the 1/1 license...

Holy shit. Amazing setup man. Welcome to the OT! It's great to see so many newcomers.

Video review of Koto's 1/6 Wonder Woman posted on the Koto Facebook page aaaaand there's a big paint stain on her lower right torso. At least it looks like it to me.
lryLHsS.png

I didn't know this was 1/6, I just assumed it was 1/10 with the rest of the little koto superhero figures. Might have to track one down... Still need Starfire and the Jun from Tekken bishoujos... Too many high end collectables not enough funds left over for cheap stuff...

I'll try to find it.

On topic: dear lord, Nendos are a pain to setup, I hope figmas are easier.

Figmas can be easy or hard, depends on how you want them displayed... With the Berserk line most of the clear plastic pegs didn't like being shoved in the holes in their backs, and capes didn't like to stay in place...

If you want white backgrounds some good poster board is a great way to do that. Or you could always build a cheap white box

Thanks, that's what I tried to do today but failed, haha. I'll try to build a white box.

Mine was $300, doesn't need to be a grand, far from it. Have you seen my photos? That's pretty much a baseline APSc camera.

You DO NOT need a DSLR to get good photos. "DSLR" is just a fancy way of saying "large expensive mirror mechanism for the viewfinder". An APSC mirrorless will take exactly the same kind of photos (dependant on sensor, but all take good photos).
Interchangeable mirrorless with apsc will, in terms of final result, be incredibly close to most DSLRs, at a fraction of the cost. DSLR just tend to be a bit nicer to use (though actually more difficult, in some ways.)

Hell, a major upgrade to the Camera I have is only $400, refurbed right from Sony.

I said a grand factoring the local prices, one there that costs 300-400 here is at least 1000-1200 dollars.

Figmas can be easy or hard, depends on how you want them displayed... With the Berserk line most of the clear plastic pegs didn't like being shoved in the holes in their backs, and capes didn't like to stay in place...

Hmm, thanks, I'm planning on starting a big figma collection next year.

On topic: here are some pictures that could be salvaged from today.

StayDead

Anyone got any experience with putting detolfs ontop of some kind of bookcase or something to rise them up? Interested in doing something like it when I move, but wondering if it's inadvisable to do it.

omlet

Whoa there, champ. Like others have said you don't need to be dropping a grand on a camera stuff right off the bat lol. The camera I'm using is a factory refurb Canon DSLR I snagged on a BF sale for $330. That may be entry level as far as serious photography goes, but man it was an unbelievable upgrade from my phonecam. And also as others have said you don't even need a DSLR to get good pictures; "regular" digicams have come so far in the past few years.

As for a white room, I guess if you want to go nuts you can do that. All the pics I've been posting recently are taken right in my DETOLF shelves which is not an ideal shooting setup (main problem is the reflection, otherwise it's not bad) but if you have well-lit shelving that will work. (At least I think they've been turning out pretty alright.) I also built a light box from scratch like a year ago but never actually got a good light fixture for it (lol) so I haven't used it much. If you're interested I can take a picture and explain how I made it.

Wait where the hell do you live? That's a huge jump.

South America, and yep it is. Today I had to pay $130 dollars on taxes (with today's cambial exchange, might change if somebody visits this post later) just to get my figures out of the Postal Office.

And even with that it still ended up far, far cheaper than trying to find one here (if that's even possible).

Whoa there, champ. Like others have said you don't need to be dropping a grand on a camera stuff right off the bat lol. The camera I'm using is a factory refurb Canon DSLR I snagged on a BF sale for $330. That may be entry level as far as serious photography goes, but man it was an unbelievable upgrade from my phonecam. And also as others have said you don't even need a DSLR to get good pictures; "regular" digicams have come so far in the past few years.

As for a white room, I guess if you want to go nuts you can do that. All the pics I've been posting recently are taken right in my DETOLF shelves which is not an ideal shooting setup (main problem is the reflection, otherwise it's not bad) but if you have well-lit shelving that will work. (At least I think they've been turning out pretty alright.) I also built a light box from scratch like a year ago but never actually got a good light fixture for it (lol) so I haven't used it much. If you're interested I can take a picture and explain how I made it.

Thanks, I would like a picture, if possible.

South America, and yep it is. Today I had to pay $130 dollars on taxes (with today's cambial exchange, might change if somebody visits this post later) just to get my figures out of the Postal Office.
Damn!
Is there any advantage to having a buddy ship things for you? Like if they said ot was a gift or some shit?
Because I'm looking to update my camera in the near future. I'd be happy to help if it makes sense.

Einbroch

Banned
I feel so bad for people that have to pay customs to get their plastic toys.

I'd probably never get into the hobby if that was the case for me.

omlet

Anyone got any experience with putting detolfs ontop of some kind of bookcase or something to rise them up? Interested in doing something like it when I move, but wondering if it's inadvisable to do it.

I'm actually going to be doing this soon. As soon as this coming weekend, if I can get my blueprints decided on and enlist my dad and his tools to help.

Some people have used other pre-made furniture to do it and some people make their own. I'm going to be building my own.

I advise you to read this whole thread, it has a lot of good info and pictures about DETOLF setup. http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/f...ur-collectibles/89337-tried-raise-detolf.html

Settin

Thanks, that's what I tried to do today but failed, haha. I'll try to build a white box.

I said a grand factoring the local prices, one there that costs 300-400 here is at least 1000-1200 dollars.

Hmm, thanks, I'm planning on starting a big figma collection next year.

On topic: here are some pictures that could be salvaged from today.
What are you using to make those silhouette pictures? I really like them.

Damn!
Is there any advantage to having a buddy ship things for you? Like if they said ot was a gift or some shit?
Because I'm looking to update my camera in the near future. I'd be happy to help if it makes sense.

Thanks, and it usually helps, but even with that there are some hoops (on my side, not yours). Though I appreciate the kindness.

What are you using to make those silhouette pictures? I really like them.

A piece of cardboard (that I originally used to draw some stuff into, but I bought too much) standing on my drawer, my phone (Moto G) with an app that let me use the flash whenever I want as a flashlight and my camera.

I will take some when I get home tonight. For now, off to another meeting. Be good while I'm gone, guys.

Thank you, good luck on your meeting.

Thanks, and it usually helps, but even with that there are some hoops. Though I appreciate the kindness.
Well, if you're interested, and can work a good way for it, I can do body +lens for $350 before shipping. Its a great camera for snapping photos of figures, its only limitation is no external flash, but that's really only an issue when you start wanting to do indoor photos of people at distance. Everything else can be worked around.

Well, if you're interested, and can work a good way for it, I can do body +lens for $350 before shipping. Its a great camera for snapping photos of figures, its only limitation is no external flash, but that's really only an issue when you start wanting to do indoor photos of people at distance. Everything else can be worked around.

I would have to make some calculations here and talk with some people, but I appreciate that, thanks.

Off topic: so many Robocops in Mandarake, poor dude can't catch a break.

Settin

A piece of cardboard (that I originally used to draw some stuff into, but I bought too much) standing on my drawer, my phone (Moto G) with an app that let me use the flash whenever I want as a flashlight and my camera.
Ahhh, it's shadows. I had been thinking about having a rotating silhouette shelf with a bright backlight and a cloth at the front of the shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom