• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT3| You're Here Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
How depressing. Honestly I think the only thing keeping figures (Nendos and Figmas in particular) is the barrier of entry. Foreign currencies, exclusives, long waits for preorders, limited amount of English coverage, etc.

I mean, people still think that Figmas are $80.
People think that you need to jump through hoops to order from sites like AmiAmi.

About the bolded I agree with the first part, but if you are not in a main country or continent (US, CAN, Western Europe, Asia), then figmas are probably that price, even higher. Anecdotal evidence only, though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I also think that Amiibos are going to crash this year. The fever pitch can't last forever, and when people look back at their in-game implementation and quality issues, they'll wise up. You already have people in the Amiibo thread just wanting to complete the Smash line then back out of collecting them, because there's no point. This must be what PC gamers feel like. :3
Demand for Amiibos is being fuelled on the fact that people want them to sell rather than to keep which is a recipe for it to crash.

kewlmyc

How depressing. Honestly I think the only thing keeping figures (Nendos and Figmas in particular) is the barrier of entry. Foreign currencies, exclusives, long waits for preorders, limited amount of English coverage, etc.

I mean, people still think that Figmas are $80. People think that you need to jump through hoops to order from sites like AmiAmi.

I also think that Amiibos are going to crash this year. The fever pitch can't last forever, and when people look back at their in-game implementation and quality issues, they'll wise up. You already have people in the Amiibo thread just wanting to complete the Smash line then back out of collecting them, because there's no point. This must be what PC gamers feel like. :3

ALSO FUCK AMIIBOS

Eh, Amiibos are all right.

I'm only getting my Smash mains and that's it. So Pit, Dark Pit, Toon Link, Lucario, and Villager. I already have all of them either preordered or already owned. Dark Pit hasn't been announced yet however.

Fuck the limited numbers though. Scalpers and diehards buying them in droves. They found out about Amiami and figinstock as well so even that's not safe anymore.

My wallet is soo fucked with that Sylveria and Triage X figures :(

Hopefully they're not based on the shitty anime designs.

Are people paying $200 for it? Didn't think so.
Soon he will be on eBay with a defect and then he'll be ;P

C'mon everyone crash on the Amiibo thread and show off all them Nintendo figmas lol XD

It's a shame most people in the thread doesn't seem to be using them as Smash A.I. partners though =(
Eh, Amiibos are all right.

I'm only getting my Smash mains and that's it. So Pit, Dark Pit, Toon Link, Lucario, and Villager. I already have all of them either preordered or already owned. Dark Pit hasn't been announced yet however.

Fuck the limited numbers though. Scalpers and diehards buying them in droves. They found out about Amiami and figinstock as well so even that's not safe anymore.
Yeah most of the UK stocks are also getting low due to them as well =/

C'mon everyone crash on the Amiibo thread and show off all them Nintendo figmas lol XD

nope_girl.gif

I'd rather not play with fire, already did that once. I don't want to stay up all night to get one figma in the future.

It's better than Marth at least. The Robin one looks like shit from the start so the QC is going to be hilarious on that one.
Should've logically went with hooded Robin so it can be both gender, but they'll get more money this way I guess, and hooded with an ambiguous covered face might be a nightmare to make XD

Acid08

Banned
That new Mandarake site is pretty cool, really benefits from having a Favorites List you can add stuff to. Way easier to keep track of items without having to manually bookmark them.

Bittercup

Momohime set me down this path. Congratulations on your acquisition!
Thanks :) Momohime and Phat's Bayonetta were the two figures that always made me sad, that I had missed them. Since then I try to get everything as soon as possible.
I'm really happy that I finally got her :)

Amiibo are amazing. How else can I get a figure for the best Nintendo character of all time, Wii Fit Trainer?
I'm not interested in Amiibos but I still bought a Wii Fit Trainer. Indeed the best character.

Fuck this hobby, I was casually browsing amiami when suddenly the new Hurricane Polymar figure dragged my mouse pointer to add to cart and I accidentally the whole figure.
I didn't want this to happen.

Zombine

Banned
The Amiibo community is full of a lot of really nice and helpful people. I realize that the figures might not be Waifu quality, but they really are neat and serve a purpose as well. Yes, QC is awful with them, but I think they can both co-exist. I'm getting the Lucina Figure and Amiibo and I'm happy with that.

The Amiibo community is full of a lot of really nice and helpful people. I realize that the figures might not be Waifu quality, but they really are neat and serve a purpose as well. Yes, QC is awful with them, but I think they can both co-exist. I'm getting the Lucina Figure and Amiibo and I'm happy with that.

Can you imagine a world without Amiibo haters?

Even though I'm not a huge fan of amiibos (I just want the DLC in most cases), I can understand why some people might like them.

Zombine

Banned
Can you imagine a world without Amiibo haters?

Though I'm not what you can call a fan of amiibos, I just want the DLC in most cases.

As someone residing in the US, the Meta Knight one is bullshit in my opinion. Best mask for the Kirby game hidden behind a store exclusive that most certainly will never be in stock? Lame.

I like them. Then again I was having fun leveling them in Smash. Had some people over and we had a ton of them fighting each other. For what you pay I think they look good for the most part. Some look awful.

Arkadios

I was reading a few pages of the Amiibo thread, its a weird feeling, its like Figure-GAF from an alternate dimension. Seeing posters that also post here increased that feeling.

As someone residing in the US, the Meta Knight one is bullshit in my opinion. Best mask for the Kirby game hidden behind a store exclusive that most certainly will never be in stock? Lame.

As someone living overseas, I've never even seen most of the amiibos in the flesh*, only pictures. Though I agree that retailer specific stuff is ridiculous.

*The only amiibos that I've seen here are Mario, Yoshi, Kirby, Pikachu, Donkey Kong, Samus, Link. These I've seen in the flesh, then there's Fox and Peach, which I've seen online local/regional stores.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm collecting Amiibos as well. I'm just focusing on certain characters. The QC leaves a lot to be desired, but I still like them.

I was reading a few pages of the Amiibo thread, its a weird feeling, its like Figure-GAF from an alternate dimension. Seeing posters that also post here increased that feeling.

It is another Figure-GAF community, they discuss a lot of the stuff we discuss here, main difference is, they all like the same type of figures unlike here.

Ultimadrago

In the middle here. On one hand, Eh-miibos. On the other hand, my favorite characters happen to all have less-detailed designs which decrease the chance of complete hairy-butt-ugliness (Kirby, Toon Link, Villager, Toad, Meta-Knight).

I was semi-interested in Marth before the pictures released. Let's say that changed real quick.

Einbroch

Banned
It is another Figure-GAF community, they discuss a lot of the stuff we discuss here, main difference is, they all like the same type of figures unlike here.
The biggest difference is they discuss how hard it is to get the figures while we actually discuss the figures themselves, what we like, what we don't, and so on.

I have no issue with the Amiibos themselves, my biggest issue is how much Nintendo fucked the whole thing up. They're $13 little figures with DLC. You get what you pay for, and that's fine. You can like and collect what you want.

There are people who are becoming IRL depressed because of the way Nintendo are handling the whole thing. That's nuts.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
We're not really hating on them. I originally planned to get some but the QC and stands on them put me off. May consider the Mario series ones though since they have solved the stand problem and their more simplistic nature probably means less QC problems.

I just like that the Amiibo community is like a child to figureGAF learning everything we once had to go through. It's sweet.

SoldnerKei

I just bought Zelda because it's the only official figure I can get of her(I know there is a TP Zelda big scale figure but it looks uglier than the amiibo imo lol, also way too expensive)

also I am just collecting my mains, Link, ZSS(expecting some "safe for kids" measures for her, hopefully not) & Marth
gonna get Lucina so when I get the figma she can play with herself, also Palutena because of reasons, oh yeah, and Rosalina for the gf

We're not really hating on them. I originally planned to get some but the QC and stands on them put me off. May consider the Mario series ones though since they have solved the stand problem and their more simplistic nature probably means less QC problems.

I just like that the Amiibo community is like a child to figureGAF learning everything we once had to go through. It's sweet.
The comparisons between Peach's face is night and day lol, betting next Smash their poses are less dynamic so they can all stand properly by theirselves XD

StayDead

Fuck this hobby, I was casually browsing amiami when suddenly the new Hurricane Polymar figure dragged my mouse pointer to add to cart and I accidentally the whole figure.
I didn't want this to happen.

Damn, get yourself some anti virus man. That "lack of control" virus is causing a lot of pain here.

javac

I feel that when it comes to figures it’s harder for more casual people to jump into it due to how for the most part everything is from japan and subsequently it takes a little more foresight and requires you to be a little more proactive. You can see it with people who are buying things like Amiibo for the very first time. People crack after not being able to find what they want or being shocked at retailer exclusives, low print numbers, and stores being updated at stupid times.

But really it’s no different to anything and acting a little high and mighty about it is a bit silly, People from FigureGAF know about the struggle every hobby is the same really. Everyone starts off somewhere and it takes time to learn the ropes.

Amiibo are addictive due to the gashapon nature of them. Nintendo have some of the most lucrative IP and have started to finally utilize them. Let’s not act like we don't know how it feels, whilst we stare at our Lucina pre-orders, our Tharja and Samus figures and such. It feels good to be able to get figures or items in general of characters we like and ones that we may never see again in figure form. Shulk Amiibo? Pac-Man? Mother trucking Mr. Game & Watch? Damn sign me the fuck up Nintendo.

The Amiibo are small and lack intricate details but Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh cards were just...cards. I and many others still obsessed over them. They're fun to collect, and because their cheap and small it's a lot more impulse buy to get a small Lucina Amiibo than a 6k Lucina figma when you have Yen this and Hi Hi Puffy AmiAmi that. No needing to worry about high prices or figuring out where to put them.

SoldnerKei

Body is a lot better but the face isn't a huge improvement.(though mine doesn't look near that bad)

looks like if you merge Zelda and Marf amiibos together xD
Zelda looks ok, I mean, she has the rapier and all

I would love a figure of her like the one of ZSS at least, or a Figma, of her TP design of course, best Zelda ever P:

kewlmyc

There is also a cheaper 4" TP Zelda figure as well.

Body is a lot better but the face isn't a huge improvement.(though mine doesn't look near that bad)

Hahaha, holy fuck at that Ganondorf.

Amiibos are cool, it's just the scalpers and the people who get like 10 of them just to keep in a box in a crate in the basement that annoy me. Most of the people in the Amiibo thread aren't like that though, so it's cool. I just don't collect that many amiibos to post in there a lot.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
There is also a cheaper 4" TP Zelda figure as well.
I have that Zelda. Think I just chucked in a blind bag years ago with a Play Asia order. Sword broke though. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom