• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT3| You're Here Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol yeah tell me about it.

There's another one, from this series:

And she's pretty cool, although comes without a stand, so good luck making her stay in one spot.

Yeah, I saw that picture too, loved the Vincent in the back. I found a couple of reviews that mentioned the stand thing, what a shame.

Acid08

Banned
I actually would say that the Zeta is a real cool little kit and worth getting. The RX-78 has fragility issues that could have been avoided, but are a problem because it's an early attempt. The Zeta knows exactly what it's going for and achieves it. The transformation is so impressive. The fragility can be avoided if you know what you're doing. The problems are sort of necessities for that kit to be what it was attempting.

As for Wing Zero, I'd say buy it immediately. I adore that kit. It's one of the best, most stable of the whole line and looks amazing in person. It's up there with the GP-01 as my favorite RG.

Well just checked HLJ and they're of course back ordered on the WZC. Not that surprising though, as they're sold out or back ordered on pretty much everything. No way they'd get it in stock before my Private Warehouse order requires shipping.

yami4ct

Well just checked HLJ and they're of course back ordered on the WZC. Not that surprising though, as they're sold out or back ordered on pretty much everything. No way they'd get it in stock before my Private Warehouse order requires shipping.

The weak yen is throwing everything off. Everyone's buying kits in droves. I'd definitely get it whenever you get the chance, though. Was getting really worried for a while about the RG line because the SEED Destiny line were such flops. Barely any change to the designs and, apparently, extra fragile. Exia being good gave me hope and WZC put me full on into the "RG is back" camp. I'm looking forward to the RG 00 Raiser as I'm one of the few that loves that design. Hope it turns out.

Acid08

Banned
The weak yen is throwing everything off. Everyone's buying kits in droves. I'd definitely get it whenever you get the chance, though. Was getting really worried for a while about the RG line because the SEED Destiny line were such flops. Barely any change to the designs and, apparently, extra fragile. Exia being good gave me hope and WZC put me full on into the "RG is back" camp. I'm looking forward to the RG 00 Raiser as I'm one of the few that loves that design. Hope it turns out.

Yeah seriously, they are really cleaned out right now. Luckily I got some kits from their January restock.

Sounds like my next two purchases will be the RG WZC and MG Turn X.

I know you didn't ask me, but I personally love RGs, with a couple caveats.

One, I don't think inexperienced modelers should really build them. They tend to be quite difficult and fragile builds. Two, it's a series where the good kits are good, but the bad ones are really problematic. Anything pre-Gundam MK-II is extra fragile. The Zeta has fragility issues due to the transformation, but is other wise good and the SEED Destiny series of them all kind of suck in their own ways. So, given that I'd say.

Buy: GP-01/FB, Gundam MK II, Aile Strike, Exia, Freedom, Z'gok, Wing Zero EW
Maybe get, but know it has problems: Zeta
Avoid (or just go in knowing they are really problematic): Zaku-II, RX-78, Destiny, Strike Freedom, Infinite Justice.

I actually would say that the Zeta is a real cool little kit and worth getting. The RX-78 has fragility issues that could have been avoided, but are a problem because it's an early attempt. The Zeta knows exactly what it's going for and achieves it. The transformation is so impressive. The fragility can be avoided if you know what you're doing. The problems are sort of necessities for that kit to be what it was attempting.

As for Wing Zero, I'd say buy it immediately. I adore that kit. It's one of the best, most stable of the whole line and looks amazing in person. It's up there with the GP-01 as my favorite RG.

I only knew Acid was big on gunpla on this thread. I'm still relatively new here.

I love RGs too. I wouldn't say I'm new at gunpla. Built a lot of HG stuff in the past and one Master Grade Zaku II, but I goofed with my RG Zaku II lol.

I'm really in love with UC mobile suits, particularly Zakus, and I want to build and own another Zaku II sometime in the future.

Acid08

Banned
I only knew Acid was big on gunpla on this thread. I'm still relatively new here.

I love RGs too. I wouldn't say I'm new at gunpla. Built a lot of HG stuff in the past and one Master Grade Zaku II, but I goofed with my RG Zaku II lol.

I'm really in love with UC mobile suits, particularly Zakus, and I want to build and own another Zaku II sometime in the future.

You should try your hand at the PG Zaku II! One of my dream kits is the 30th Anniversary PG Zaku II.

Bombless

I also own a few gundamus but I have issues with finishing them properly. I like to assemble them, stickers and lining not so much.

yami4ct

Yeah seriously, they are really cleaned out right now. Luckily I got some kits from their January restock.

Sounds like my next two purchases will be the RG WZC and MG Turn X.

You, my friend, are a man of good taste. Those are both awesome kits.

I'm definitely part of the problem. The weak yen is getting me to buy way more than I would otherwise. My whole Build Fighters Try HG collection is basically due to the weak yen.

If you want another Zaku-II, the HG Origin Zaku-II is coming in the near future.

20150203134841712.jpg

Love the sculpt and it's pretty cheap at 1700 yen. Not sure how it's going to look unpainted yet, but should be fine since it's not like the Zaku II has a ton of color separation to begin with.

Acid08

Banned
You, my friend, are a man of good taste. Those are both awesome kits.

I'm definitely part of the problem. The weak yen is getting me to buy way more than I would otherwise. My whole Build Fighters Try HG collection is basically due to the weak yen..

Yeah, I hopped on the kits I did because of how cheap they are. I got the MG Master and Shining, they're usually sold for ~$40-50 but with the weak yen and Japanese price they were both under $20 each. Also got the HG ZZ and HG Zaku 1 Thunderbolt ver.

yami4ct

I tried gundams before.

They ended with the paint like this:

Learning to paint is a process for everyone. You should see my early attempts. The paint-bleed on my 1/144 Arios is atrocious. Learning how to strip paint and fix your mistakes is one of the first big lessons if you keep going. Once you start getting good, it's an awesome process that makes you feel like you have your own unique figure at the end.

WolfStark

Kotobukiya is going vintage:
Return to the classic era of action figures with the DC Comics SUPER POWERS COLLECTION, a vintage-inspired line of ARTFX+ statues from Kotobukiya! With details such as “Power Action” stances, multiple points of non-articulation and real cloth capes it will feel like it’s the 80’s all over again! Remember…only you can decide the battle of good vs. evil!
10958941_1039906552692407_3321881001218162110_n.jpg

Learning to paint is a process for everyone. You should see my early attempts. The paint-bleed on my 1/144 Arios is atrocious. Learning how to strip paint and fix your mistakes is one of the first big lessons if you keep going. Once you start getting good, it's an awesome process that makes you feel like you have your own unique figure at the end.

I understand that, but there are so many things that I want to learn that adding more stuff to the pile might overwhelm me.

In if they make Power girl with the window.

You should try your hand at the PG Zaku II! One of my dream kits is the 30th Anniversary PG Zaku II.
I would but they are so expensive! I should just be cheap and build a squad or two of HG Zakus.

I also own a few gundamus but I have issues with finishing them properly. I like to assemble them, stickers and lining not so much.
I hear that. I have like 2-3 kits not built properly and I've only recently started using markers for the linings.

If you want another Zaku-II, the HG Origin Zaku-II is coming in the near future.

Love the sculpt and it's pretty cheap at 1700 yen. Not sure how it's going to look unpainted yet, but should be fine since it's not like the Zaku II has a ton of color separation to begin with.
Sweet. I love the Origin books. I have the English translated ones on my shelf. Proud of em.

yami4ct

I understand that, but there are so many things that I want to learn that adding more stuff to the pile might overwhelm me.

Everyone has different priorities. I just always feel the need to sell my hobby, haha.

Someday I should post pictures of my failed attempts. The orange peeling on my MG Epyon, the paint bleed on my HG Arios and just the atrocious job all around on the XN 00 Raiser are all pretty hilarious in retrospect. That XN Raiser looks like it's painted by a 7 year old.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
Okay, as requested, here are some more up-close shots of how I installed my lighting. I sized these down a bit so if they're too small to see the detail you're looking for let me know.

Edit: I should point out that the lights in the room are off. All this illumination is just from the mounted LED strips, so as you can see in the first picture it provides pretty even lighting into the back.

So clean, awesome job..

Seems like Dan Yeagle's Mandy statues are going up for order again on February 7th Noon PST (just got the email). I still like them, but not 185 like them, I suppose. Great artwork nonetheless.

3 days to debate if I need her or not, my wife already nixed the toweled one for me. The word "limited edition" doesn't work with her at all. The country bumpkin look might pair up nicely with my Devil's Cheerleader, in that their complete opposites.

I did just find a review of the first half of the releases and a couple more nicer pictures of the finished pieces:

tauke

Only request for a Kino (Kino no Tabi) nendoroid for the GSC survey with Hermes (the Brough Superior motorrad) as bonus if possible.

/praying intensifies

figma Snow Miku: Snow Bell ver.

Hello everyone, Kahotan here! (@gsc_kahotan)

Today is Setsubun where you are supposed to eat Ehomaki sushi… but I’m just eating swiss roll instead as it’s the same shape! I also still need to do some Mamemaki!

Only 6 days left until WonFes!
o0515064213207254701.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------
Today I’ll be taking a look at…

figma Snow Miku: Snow Bell ver.
o0515045313207254700.jpg

Pure and innocent, the new snow songstress is joining the figma series!

Snow Miku has reached its 6th anniversary this year, and once again the design from piapro voted as the best on the NicoNico Live Broadcast has been transformed into a figma! The theme this year was ‘Plant Life in Winter’, and the winning design was this fairy-like design by Taran! Rabbit Yukine is also included based on the adorable design by Hayuki!
· Three expression parts are included: a standard face a winking face and a bright smiling face.
· Optional parts made to suit the theme are also included, such as a leaf umbrella and lily of the valley shaped bells.
· An alternate body for Rabbit Yukine is also included for more posing options.
· An articulated figma stand is included, which allows various poses to be taken.
Even the package is overflowing with cuteness!!

The new Miku based on the theme of plant-life and Winter in Hokkaido has become a figma and landed on my desk for review!!
o0515036713207254169.jpg

Her expression is so cute that it’s unfair!

The gentle, soft feeling of Taran’s illustration comes across so nicely! ♪

I’m so glad to see that Max Factory decided to make another Snow Miku into a figma! The one released in 2014 was so cute! A big thank you to Max Factory!!
Let’s take a look at what optional parts are included!
o0515063813207334789.jpg

Just like Nendoroid Snow Miku: Snow Bell Ver. , she comes with a leaf umbrella! She comes with special hands to hold the umbrella up, making it easy to attach even for someone as clumsy as me! (*゚ー゚*)

She also has this winking expression which gives her a slightly more mature appearance!!

But the expression I like the most this time around just has to be this one…

Her smiling face!!
o0515045713207254048.jpg

Oooooooooooooooooh!! (●´ω`●)

Just looking at this innocent, adorable expression makes a smile crawl across my face as well! She just looks so happy!!

In her hands she is holding a Lily of the Valley bell, which has been painted with a lovely golden gradient! The little optional parts as well as her outfit are all painted absolutely amazingly!! (/ω\)

This is how the blister pack looks!
o0515036613207254046.jpg

Everyone has different priorities. I just always feel the need to sell my hobby, haha.

Someday I should post pictures of my failed attempts. The orange peeling on my MG Epyon, the paint bleed on my HG Arios and just the atrocious job all around on the XN 00 Raiser are all pretty hilarious in retrospect. That XN Raiser looks like it's painted by a 7 year old.

Nice choice right there. And eventually I plan on getting Gundams, because my friend loves them and I would like to talk about it with him, he even said that he would lend me the tools.

When did Sailor Moon got busty gals like this girl right here? Hell, seems like I missed a lot.
I know it is not Sailor Moon.

yami4ct

Nice choice right there. And eventually I plan on getting Gundams, because my friend loves them and I would like to talk about it with him, he even said that he would lend me the tools.

That one's a sad one because, aside from the finish on the wings it came out beautifully. It's actually kind of one of the kits I'm most proud of in a weird way.

Perhaps my funniest story is how I ruined my MG Deatsythe Hell. It was my first time working with lacquer in an airbrush and I didn't like the finish on the clear green eye parts. Thinking that, like acrylic, I should just soak it in the paint's thinner for a while to remove it, I stupidly threw the part into some hardware store lacquer thinner. Little did I know, that kind of thinner is really damn harsh and it literally melted the part. I could see the thing start to liquify as soon as I dropped it in. Sadly, by the time I got it out it was too late and the damage was done.

10958941_1039906552692407_3321881001218162110_n.jpg

Return to the classic era of action figures with the DC Comics SUPER POWERS COLLECTION, a vintage-inspired line of ARTFX+ statues from Kotobukiya! With details such as “Power Action” stances, multiple points of non-articulation and real cloth capes it will feel like it’s the 80’s all over again! Remember…only you can decide the battle of good vs. evil!
Koto gunning for Freezasaurus ;D

omlet

I unboxed Hiei finally and finished setting her up in combat stance tonight. Can't wait to have all four of them for tea party funtimes and other shenanigans.

うて~!

So clean, awesome job..

Thanks. Yeah, I didn't want a wire mess showing, and angling the lights in with tape really worked out great for the figures in the back of the shelf. About the only thing I wish was different was if the actual light bulbs (LED, whatever) themselves weren't so visible from the front, but short of like taping over that forward-facing side of the LED strip, I'm not sure what to do about that.

That one's a sad one because, aside from the finish on the wings it came out beautifully. It's actually kind of one of the kits I'm most proud of in a weird way.

Perhaps my funniest story is how I ruined my MG Deatsythe Hell. It was my first time working with lacquer in an airbrush and I didn't like the finish on the clear green eye parts. Thinking that, like acrylic, I should just soak it in the paint's thinner for a while to remove it, I stupidly threw the part into some hardware store lacquer thinner. Little did I know, that kind of thinner is really damn harsh and it literally melted the part. I could see the thing start to liquify as soon as I dropped it in. Sadly, by the time I got it out it was too late and the damage was done.

Damn... I don't know what I would do if that happened to me. I mean, the one time I broke one of my diecast cars I got so mad I couldn't stand it, but this...

Ryuuroden

Only request for a Kino (Kino no Tabi) nendoroid for the GSC survey with Hermes (the Brough Superior motorrad) as bonus if possible.

/praying intensifies

LOL, if this happened, I might have to get my first Nendo ever, just like if they did LWA nendo's

yami4ct

Damn... I don't know what I would do if that happened to me. I mean, the one time I broke one of my diecast cars I got so mad I couldn't stand it, but this...

As a modeler, you start to learn quickly how to fix and salvage things. In most cases, I would have found a way to either repair the part or kind of sculpt a new one. Since this was an eye part, and since there's a lack of good part replacement spots for the US right now, that kit is kind of screwed. It's just sitting in a pile waiting for me to scrap parts out of it for a kit bash someday. I'll probably buy a new DSH someday and do it up right, because I do adore that suit.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
So I accidentally my nippon-yasan account earlier today with something.

Hmm.

HMMMMM.

Yes, my wallet is spilling right into the abyss.

If you just bought the Wo-Class nendo from NY....

I might not like nendroids myself, but I'll be damned I won't salute your dedication to this hobby...

This could be awesome, or this could be shit. This hits me right in the childhoods, though...

As a modeler, you start to learn quickly how to fix and salvage things. In most cases, I would have found a way to either repair the part or kind of sculpt a new one. Since this was an eye part, and since there's a lack of good part replacement spots for the US right now, that kit is kind of screwed. It's just sitting in a pile waiting for me to scrap parts out of it for a kit bash someday. I'll probably buy a new DSH someday and do it up right, because I do adore that suit.

Man, good luck with that suit. I think it is very cool too, I almost bought a Robot Spirits of it.

I wish I had the proficiency that some of you guys have. I'm trying my hand on clay sculptures, but goddamn that is hard. Won't keep me from trying it again and again, though.

Unboxed the Satsuki scale today. I am very happy with her. She looks great in person, plan to snap some pics soon.

Have a terrible phone pic till then.

bazCSCV.jpg

Posting this here because this thread is the reason I found out about her!

Just got her today and I was amused by the 2 boob sets.

Awesome!

3 days to debate if I need her or not, my wife already nixed the toweled one for me. The word "limited edition" doesn't work with her at all. The country bumpkin look might pair up nicely with my Devil's Cheerleader, in that their complete opposites.

I did just find a review of the first half of the releases and a couple more nicer pictures of the finished pieces:

thanks for this post. i was looking for pics a few weeks ago and couldn't find anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom