• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT3| You're Here Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
The amount in US dollars will depend on the conversion rate in April (since most places won't charge you until then). My general rule is to go 2 decimal places over, so 6,296yen would be around $62.96 (then you'll have to take a guess with shipping).
That simple conversion formula doesn't really apply anymore. Japan is in deep recession right now and the yen has dropped sharply against the dollar in the last few months to $1 : ¥118 at the moment. It's projected to go as far as $1 : ¥130 by 2016 and $1 : ¥140 by 2017.

You can get Figma Lucina for only $44 on NY for example https://www.nippon-yasan.com/figures-others/10130-fire-emblem-awakening-figma-lucina.html

Next few years are going to be amazing for figure importers.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
For those who don't get Kyouko's third face, it's from the final chapter of Volume 11 (by coincidence one of the two I bought while in Japan).

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Crunchyroll started their 30% off black friday sale for premium members. Got some nice stuff. I ordered Bishoujo Psylocke and Cammy and saved about $50

StayDead

What I see on this page

IhfUKlW.png

What thread am I in again? All I see is Chihaya.

Nintendo is about the only thing Ill drop money for in regards to figures. Glad I popped in here, I'll keep my eye on that Lucina.

Also thinking about getting that WW Link nendo. He's the only Nendo whose looks I can tolerate haha.
done, preordered Lucina from amiami, 5200yens plus whatever it'll be for SAL registered

now time to sit and wait
Lucina is a bit pricey but the details! *sigh* Time to open up my wallet again...
Lucina ordered.
Lucina ordered. Trying to resist the Kyoko Nendo.
I got Lucina too, more for my husband than myself, but Nintendo figures are always welcome here.
I was just wondering when that figma was finally going to go up. Time to fork out for Lucina I guess!
lol at Lucina's price.

Leaves me wavering if I want it or not
Still hating myself for not getting Dark Pit.

... Considering I ordered Snake, I absolutely ordered Lucina, but these jacked up figma prices are painful.
Lucina attacks Giolon's wallet.
It's critical hit!
And ordered. Thanks for the heads up.
Lucina went up when i was asleep. Nooo ;_;

Still ordered on amiami though!
Lucina_confession.jpg

RMI

Banned
Not happy about the price for Lucina. Going to bitch and moan about it for a while before finally breaking down and pre-ordering.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
Looked up the whole Lucina/Marth thing, so it's a pass... That's not Marth, just a cosplay ancestor... Wake me when they release another Fire Emblem scale...

It's really only a pass because I have no room for figmas, my berserk set and samus are sitting in their boxes. I'll keep getting the Berserk figmas as they release, but I gotta draw the line at that for buying stuff I have no room for.

Meyneth

That simple conversion formula doesn't really apply anymore. Japan is in deep recession right now and the yen has dropped sharply against the dollar in the last few months to $1 : ¥118 at the moment. It's projected to go as far as $1 : ¥130 by 2016 and $1 : ¥140 by 2017.

You can get Figma Lucina for only $44 on NY for example https://www.nippon-yasan.com/figures-others/10130-fire-emblem-awakening-figma-lucina.html

I guess, but I would rather make a safe higher guess than be surprised and not have put aside enough money for april. We're guessing prices that are 5 months into the future after all

Also, guess I missed Elsa then. :/
I was waiting to see if I could lump her together with lucina but I guess that plan was dumb...

Edit: I'm SUPER kicking myself right now about Elsa...
Ughhh....

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
We're guessing prices that are 5 months into the future after all
Oh, don't worry, from an economic standpoint for it to recover back to a 1:100 rate within 5 months is unheard of. These aren't some temporary random spikes or anything, they're a reaction to new economic policies and contraction caused by the consumption tax increase from 5% to 8% earlier this year. There's going to be another tax rate increase to 10% next year which can only further cripple the yen. Look forward to enjoying cheaper imports for a good while, I know I am. Also just bought that Lucina as well (´ε` )

November payed for. Curious how much longer it will take than usual with this season of shipping madness upon us. Used EMS so probably still fast.

Meyneth

Oh, don't worry, from an economic standpoint for it to recover back to a 1:100 rate within 5 months is unheard of. These aren't some temporary random spikes or anything, they're a reaction to new economic policies and contraction caused by the consumption tax increase from 5% to 8% earlier this year. There's going to be another tax rate increase to 10% next year which can only further cripple the yen. Look forward to enjoying cheaper imports for a good while, I know I am. Also just bought that Lucina as well (´ε` )
I bought the lucina's too, I don't want another Elsa debacle...
*weeping*

I'd still rather be safe since I'm converting to Canadian as well. And if all that extra guessing cash means a "free" figure, that's absolutely fine with me. ;D

Ordered. Price is okay when you consider the Yen is in the toilet.

Hopefully it's still in the shitter come April.

Yes may it continue to get weaker, it is for the best for most Japanese businesses XP
Nendoroid Suzuya & Nendoroid Kumano!
o0515039113141994720.jpg

Nendoroid Suzuya!
o0515039513141995775.jpg

“Suzuya is on the job! Just leave it to me!”

From the popular browser game ‘Kantai Collection -KanColle-’ comes a Nendoroid of the third Mogami-class heavy cruiser, Suzuya!

Suzuya comes with cannon parts to fire upon her enemies, as well as a Type 0 Recon Seaplane to display her as an aircraft cruiser, helping to ensure she won’t lose to Kumano! A Destroyer I-Class is included for her to fight against, along with parts to display her being shot at! Special parts for holding hands with Kumano are also included.
o0515055013141995012.jpg
o0515052913141995271.jpg

Nendoroid Kumano
o0515046113142154676.jpg

“Good day to you! I am the heavy cruiser, Kumano!”

From the popular browser game ‘Kantai Collection -KanColle-’ comes a Nendoroid of the fourth Mogami-class heavy cruiser, Kumano!

Kumano comes with various turret parts to let her sink her enemies with ease and grace, as well as a Type 0 Recon Seaplane to display her as an aircraft cruiser! She also comes with a sandwich – her choice meal for lunch! A dresser with a mirror is included to display by her side to show her high-class taste and ladylike charm! Special alternate hair parts to pose her holding hands with Nendoroid Suzuya are also included!
o0515051313141995014.jpg
o0515054513141995688.jpg
o0515038813141995270.jpg

o0515046113141995687.jpg
Japanese Review
10300751a14.jpg
10300751n2.jpg

A review on 35 Mechatro Wego Orange.
10286199a.jpg

35 Mechatro Wego - ORANGE (Completed)

The world’s smallest sized Mechatro robot planned to be used in commute in depopulated areas and recreation activities.

“Mechatoro Wego” comes back in 1/35 scale!
Movable joints and detachable outfits allowing various ways of playing!
It can be displayed in exclusive clear case allowing your hobby life much efficient.
2014112511215258b.jpg
201411251122333cb.jpg

A review on Pullip Sailor Mars
10301196b.jpg

──The 5th collaboration with Sailor Moon, Sailor Mars!

The Sailor Bishojo Senshi with flame and passion, Sailor Mars!
“In the name of Mars I will scold you!”
…feeling like that.

The expected collaboration of Pullip doll with the 20th anniversary Sailor Moon!
The fifth doll on the collaboration is the Bishojo senshi of passion, Sailor Mars!
She comes with sharp makeup and slightly purple colored beautiful brunet hair!
The star shaped earing also included in design☆
Let her pose with other Bishojo Senshi!☆
GUNPLA EXPO WORLD TOUR JAPAN 2014 Report
20141121gundam.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hey, popping in here with a slightly technical question for you guys. Most of these figures seem impossible (or highly expensive) to produce from a traditional injection molding process due to the geometry and undercutting. So does anyone know just how they do produce them? Are they just really good at hiding the seams from multiple piece assembly?

Even then though I'm not sure what angle they'd mold from on something like the cape on the AoT figure on this page

Hey, popping in here with a slightly technical question for you guys. Most of these figures seem impossible (or highly expensive) to produce from a traditional injection molding process due to the geometry and undercutting. So does anyone know just how they do produce them? Are they just really good at hiding the seams from multiple piece assembly?

Even then though I'm not sure what angle they'd mold from on something like the cape on the AoT figure on this page
These features' images should probably answer you (well part 2 primarily), but more or less yeah they are good at hiding seams:
Special Feature: The Birth of Kotobukiya Figures and Plastic Kits: Part 1
Special Feature: The Birth of Kotobukiya Figures and Plastic Kits: Part 2

Arclaid

Mikatan looked at figure-making process at GSC a few years ago, so maybe this might answer your question.
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

StayDead

It's unfair. It's so unfair.

Nendoroid Suzuya & Nendoroid Kumano!

Why release those in april with everything else. I want them so bad ;_;

Chronoexe

That's it guys my shelves are full, no more figures for me in 2015...

Jan-2015
Takeru Takaishi & Patamon 1/10 4,090 JPY
Hikari Yagami & Tailmon 1/10 4,090 JPY

Feb-2015
Yurisha Iscandar 1/8 7,670 JPY

Mar-2015
PS4 Senran Kagura ESTIVAL VERSUS NyuuNyuu DX Pack 12,480 JPY
PSVita Senran Kagura ESTIVAL VERSUS NyuuNyuu DX Pack 9,770 JPY

Apr-2015
Good Smile Company - Eren Yeager 1/8 10,720 JPY
Kotobukiya - Sakura Kinomoto 1/7 9,240 JPY
figma - Lucina 5,200 JPY

May-2015
figma - Sakura Kinomoto 4,600 JPY

welp time to buy more shelves.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

jeffers

ordered from nippon :O ty

I thought the eyes looked good at first but you could put a bloody knife in Chitoge's hand and it'd fit right in with that expression.

On the plus side, that would make her slightly more likable!

------------------------------------------

I'm all over that Noiz Nendo.

I would have been over black uniform Kagami if I didn't already buy a cheap regular edition, lol

StayDead

Good there s something I'm really hoping gets announced.

They'll announce another yamato figure which I'll probably end up buying despite having no income that I can rely on next year at all (I'm a carer for my mum and part of my benefits buys figures, but I'm stopping being a carer in Jan when we move and looking for work). I hope this job my Dad keeps going on about is actually a thing if I can pass my CCNA finally because otherwise I'll be borring money *dread face*

kubus

So what's the deal with Nippon-Yasan right now? I know there were some issues in the past with them selling bootlegs, but does that still happen?

I want to pre-order the Lucina figma and she is pretty cheap at N-Y. I would rather not deal with ami-ami anymore. Their service and prices are good but I ALWAYS get hit by customs when I order from them and things get ridiculously expensive (not their fault, but for me it's just not worth it anymore).

Is it safe to pre-order Lucina from N-Y?

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
So what's the deal with Nippon-Yasan right now? I know there were some issues in the past with them selling bootlegs, but does that still happen?

I want to pre-order the Lucina figma and she is pretty cheap at N-Y. I would rather not deal with ami-ami anymore. Their service and prices are good but I ALWAYS get hit by customs when I order from them and things get ridiculously expensive (not their fault, but for me it's just not worth it anymore).

One gaffer got a bootleg Nendo, N-Y acted like their shit don't stink, but after a week of bad publicity and GSC saying "you don't buy your shit from us", N-Y fixed their fuck up, but are still considered tarnished by many.

I use them all the time, but do so knowing mishaps can happen when dealing with them. I think the general rule of thumb is think twice with an exclusive figure, but everything else should be ok...
I have the GSC exclusive Mikasa DX on order with them :O

Bombless

Yeah, it's safe to order from N-Y as long as it's a general release figure. The bootleg issue was on a GSC Store exclusive that N-Y bought from a 3rd party and resold, except that turned out to be a fake. They probably knew it too.

meijiko

There's really only been one instance of them selling a bootleg in recent years, so I think your chances are pretty slim.

But I think what most people have a problem with is how badly N-Y's customer service treated the person who received it. They came through in the end after a lot of public discussion, but their initial denial was pretty dreadful.

Almost pre-ordered Lucina, but then I received the email from AmiAmi with the price of my other figures to pay, then I thought better. Maybe in the future.

I doubt it. My only knowledge of this is how it works for Nintendo, but a strong yen actually screws up their profits because it devalues the money they make in foreign markets.
Figure makers aren't reliant on foreign markets though. I do wish Nintendo will work with better figure makers for their limited edition Amiibo's though.
Edit: Oh lol, had you quoted for a bit before I replied XD, guess you knew.

kubus

One gaffer got a bootleg Nendo, N-Y acted like their shit don't stink, but after a week of bad publicity and GSC saying "you don't buy your shit from us", N-Y fixed their fuck up, but are still considered tarnished by many.

I use them all the time, but do so knowing mishaps can happen when dealing with them. I think the general rule of thumb is think twice with an exclusive figure, but everything else should be ok...
I have the GSC exclusive Mikasa DX on order with them :O
Yeah, it's safe to order from N-Y as long as it's a general release figure. The bootleg issue was on a GSC Store exclusive that N-Y bought from a 3rd party and resold, except that turned out to be a fake. They probably knew it too.
There's really only been one instance of them selling a bootleg in recent years, so I think your chances are pretty slim.

But I think what most people have a problem with is how badly N-Y's customer service treated the person who received it. They came through in the end after a lot of public discussion, but their initial denial was pretty dreadful.
Thanks for the info all of you! Very helpful.

I'm going to pre-order at N-Y then :).

Ryuuroden

That Swamp Witch Metallica on Crunchyroll for 30% off plus free shipping is tempting as that basically meets the amiami price and then beats it on shipping but I think because of ship girl disease right now I will wait on it like I am waiting on everything else. It is not a priority figure for me anymore. Plus I think there is a chance it could end up dropping to over 50% off. I guess the real question is, even if it drops to over 50% off will that still save on shipping, I don't think it will as its probably EMS only. Even 70% off on amiami would still be more than Crunchy probably. aah decisions.

Edit: then again maybe not at the current conversion rate.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom