• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY (Agito XIII) Type-0 |OT| Occupy Suzaku

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I think there was a total of 2 pre-rendered cutscenes (middle and end part) in the game.

Everything else looks like it was in engine.

The cutscenes with higher detailed models are not realtime. The ones where it doesn't involve characters standing and moving ever so slightly.

Netto-kun

Just out of curiosity for who played this game, in "%" how many FMVs are in this game, how many pre-recorded cutscenes and how many in-engine cutscenes?

Judging by this play list (spoiler alert) and not counting the ones that are only showing maps and narrations, around 45 pre-recorded cutscenes. Most of the pre-recorded cutscenes are really short though (15~50 seconds).

And damn, I need to get that Ultimania myself.

The cutscenes with higher detailed models are not realtime. The ones where it doesn't involve characters standing and moving ever so slightly.

Oh those creepy cut scenes where it looks like the characters pop up in place so awkwardly?

Ah yes now I remember..... Well I guess those 2 bits I mentioned were the really gorgeous pre-rendered scenes then.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Oh those creepy cut scenes where it looks like the characters pop up in place so awkwardly?

Ah yes now I remember..... Well I guess those 2 bits I mentioned were the really gorgeous pre-rendered scenes then.

Yah the ones where they look like they're talking on a really small stage with bad stage directions. It's one of my only complaints about the game. Limitations of the PSP. I think it's the same as those Dissidia scenes that people complain about.

Yah the ones where they look like they're talking on a really small stage with bad stage directions. It's one of my only complaints about the game. Limitations of the PSP. I think it's the same as those Dissidia scenes that people complain about.

Pretty much exactly the same really. I get why they did it, but it definitely sticks out.

Helps that the actual pre-rendered cutscenes are typically really awesome. Some great cutscene direction.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I just got my Type-0 limited soundtrack and... the theme song by Bump of Chicken is not in it o_O!?

warpaint

10GQJ.jpg

Wee.
damn that looks cool

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
WHATEVER -.-'

You'll need to get the Bump of Chicken single. It might have to do with the problem of having a different publisher for both the song track and the single. But they probably want more money anyway. I have a feeling FFXIII-2's soundtrack would be like that too.

frequency

Boo. That's like another $20.

I'm still waiting for my shipment to arrive. I totally expected the Bump of Chicken theme song :(
FF13 theme is on that soundtrack.

Now I'm sad.

I guess I should have looked stuff up first... not that it would have changed my buying decision.

I'm a big fan of Bump of Chicken in general, so I'll probably spend the money on the single. Just bummed it's not on the soundtrack.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I was considering ordering the single as well. I think the theme song is pretty good. If there are any LE copies left anywhere, I might take the plunge.

My LE OST came last week but I've been so busy that I haven't been able to open it up yet. I guess I can remedy that...

IGOCs.jpg

Looks pretty cool. Goes well with my Dissidia Duodecim LE OST.

Jonnyram

It's very fun. Except for the (RTS-lite)missions where you have to capture towns... hate those.
I actually enjoyed the first one, but I am not high enough level to do the couple I've just unlocked. Are they mainly optional and intended for the second playthrough?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I actually enjoyed the first one, but I am not high enough level to do the couple I've just unlocked. Are they mainly optional and intended for the second playthrough?

Later on they become required. I just did the one in chapter 5 and it took me about 30 minutes to complete the entire thing... no saves or anything in between :| But I had to complete it to advance the story.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh my, the LE OST looks so cool. To buy or not to buy. >_>

As for the limited version of Zero, YesAsia says "Usually ships within 7 days", while CDJapan will ship the CD within 3-5 days.
Haven't checked into this thread in a while, but thank you! I have a few points to redeem from CD Japan anyway. I'm glad I caught that because they have four copies left. :D

Jonnyram

Later on they become required. I just did the one in chapter 5 and it took me about 30 minutes to complete the entire thing... no saves or anything in between :| But I had to complete it to advance the story.
I assume the mandatory ones are a more manageable level requirement than the optional ones I unlocked?

So I've got my JP copy here on my desk unopened, Japanese is my native tongue so playing and understanding this is not a problem ... but is this game getting an NA release ? I would love to support the dead NA PSP market ...

Pooya

if you're talking about the combat missions you can take from near the entrance, then yeah. They are usually ~10 levels higher than your party in my playthrough. Not all of them are RTS missions actually, you just get a mark on the world map, which usually is a city and go there and do a mission, just like story missions. some of them are RTS missions. Finishing those missions usually gives you the control of the town, then you can enter there anytime, find other side quests in there etc.

although they might require higher level than what you're at, they are mostly not that hard.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I assume the mandatory ones are a more manageable level requirement than the optional ones I unlocked?

They were the same level as a majority of my characters, so yeah. You just have to make sure you follow wherever mogurin tells you to go otherwise you can fail and game over D:

Jonnyram

although they might require higher level than what you're at, they are mostly not that hard.
I got absolutely destroyed when I tried, so I thought they might be best avoided. Do they remain available to attempt on later chapters or do they disappear like the other stuff?

Pooya

I got absolutely destroyed when I tried, so I thought they might be best avoided. Do they remain available to attempt on later chapters or do they disappear like the other stuff?

They are replaced by other new missions each chapter, which have even higher levels :S
I'd say save them for 2nd playthrough except a couple of them which unlock some cool things I don't want to spoil :\ those are not that hard to do in 1st playthrough and they carry over in your 2nd playthrough,

Got this from Wikipedia, So I guess I answered my own question ...

While a release outside of Japan has not been announced, Tabata is trying to appeal to North American players in his direction of the game. Downloadable and "overseas" version are reportedly being investigated. It has recently been revealed that an overseas version is currently in the works, making the game available in other countries.

jimmypython

just finish the game (1st run)....really liked it! the best FF this gen IMO...

some questions about the ending:

What is the purpose for Arecia's loop game? Who is the armored guy appeared after Cid's suicide? (the one like armored Terra from Birth By Sleep)

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Square Enix Devs Talk Type-0 Sequels, Vita Support and Final Fantasy XIII-2 Download Content.

Screw the XIII-2 part, most of this is about Type-0, so I'm posting it here:
Regarding Vita, Tabata said that he's played Type-0 on the system, and the graphics are very pretty. The ability to use the analogue stick for camera control also ups the playability, he said.

Regarding a sequel to Type-0, he said "I want to make a sequel, but... is there demand? (laughs). If we make a sequel, we aren't thinking about having it directly continue the [Type-0] story."
There's more in the link.

Troidal

Wait, so on the Vita, you can use both analog sticks? How are they doing that, patches or is an option already there except that it can't be used on the current PSP?

Aeana

Wait, so on the Vita, you can use both analog sticks? How are they doing that, patches or is an option already there except that it can't be used on the current PSP?

In the PSP BC, you get the option to map buttons to the right stick. It works for any PSP game.

Bebpo

Banned
Finally started playing this in earnest and I have a couple of questions:

1. How do I not die in 1-2 hits from everything? My guys drop like flies which makes getting to a boss after a long stage with 2 guys left close to impossible to win.

2. How do I quick use an item like a potion? I remember in the tutorial it showed me how but I've forgotten and by the time I open the menu I'm dead. And my support group doesn't cure enough.

3. If you have a mid-mission save where you've gained a bunch of levels but you've lost too many guys and there's no way you can finish the mission, is there any way to keep the levels and restart the mission from the beginning?

4. What's the best way to level? It seems to go really slowly.

5. What's the point of taking everyone to a mission or leaving people behind? Is the xp distribution different?

6. Should I level everyone evenly or just a handful?

Pooya

Finally started playing this in earnest and I have a couple of questions:

1. How do I not die in 1-2 hits from everything? My guys drop like flies which makes getting to a boss after a long stage with 2 guys left close to impossible to win.

2. How do I quick use an item like a potion? I remember in the tutorial it showed me how but I've forgotten and by the time I open the menu I'm dead. And my support group doesn't cure enough.

3. If you have a mid-mission save where you've gained a bunch of levels but you've lost too many guys and there's no way you can finish the mission, is there any way to keep the levels and restart the mission from the beginning?

4. What's the best way to level? It seems to go really slowly.

5. What's the point of taking everyone to a mission or leaving people behind? Is the xp distribution different?

6. Should I level everyone evenly or just a handful?

1. I found myself dodging a lot. If you have problem with Byakko soldiers ranged attacks equip some bullet resistance accessories, helps.

2. hit start, go to the the items section, you can set only one item, hit select while in battle to use it. game doesn't pause when you hit start, you can use other items but it's kind of a challenge lol

3. Yes, hit start and abort mission.

4. Replaying missions from the mission list is the best way, since you earn gil and other items, but you can't save mid mission, you have to go all the way through. Or you can grind on the world map, I found this more fun but it's less rewarding. Different areas have enemies with different levels, sometimes you get an option to fight the random battle again but with higher level enemies and more health bars.

5. IIRC, it affects the ranking, in some missions if you want to get S ranking you had to solo it I think without reserves. in any case only the battle party gains xp.

6. In some missions, you're going to lose your party members and there is a chance that you get stuck with your low level members, make sure to use the moogle lessons to get some xp for everyone but yeah keeping everyone in closer range is better, there are some characters you are probably more comfortable to play with, they end up with higher level naturally, but sometimes between missions go grind with others too, keeping your characters in around 5-6 levels with each other is a good idea I think.

xero273

just finished first playthrough.... ugh what? fuck that last dungeon and lol at final boss....

bebpo,

quick item is the select button. you can select which item you want to use for quick item in item menu. It's the farthest option when you are in item menu.

Fastest way to level is later in the game when you get growth egg from a request and another from class 1 moogle for playing the game for certain amount of time. they give 2x exp. you can also get mog's amulet which gives 4x exp from SE member website.

Bebpo

Banned
So I'm about 9 hours into the game, ~lvl.16 and a few missions into chapter 3.

I'm not really sure I like the game. It seems really repetitive. Like every mission and random battle is just "wait for the enemy to strike and hit them when it's red" over and over and over.

Then between missions you can watch a few cutscenes, occasionally plot related, most just goofy character scenes, and you can do generic quests which involve killing a bunch of things usually. Since you can only stack 1 quest a time and you lose 6 hours and there's a lot of running/chocobo-ing on the world map involved and the rewards are nothing special, it makes me not want to do them. I just watch the cutscenes, do the moogle lecture and start the next mission.

There's occasional story every few missions, but otherwise there's no real story going on for large chunks of the game. Just run through room after room dodging and striking back. You can slowly upgrade your magic stat by stat through the phantoma you get and upgrade your character with the AP you get. But at the end of the day you're mainly just dodging and hitting triangle over and over and over.

The game plays pretty well and looks nice and the soundtrack is amazing, but this is probably the least motivated I've been playing a SE game in a while. Feels like some sort of Monster Hunter x MMO x Persona combination, and I don't like 2 of those three things. Does the game ever change and get more depth?

Bebpo

Banned
Also did any of you guys/girls finish a 2nd run of the game and did it fix/flesh out the story? I always find when they try to make up for having a crap story on the first playthrough by saying "new game+ has more scenes! play it again and the story will be good!!" they're usually lying through their teeth to get you to sink 15-20 hours into replaying the game for a few new scenes that don't add much.

Riposte

XIII-2 came out and people found it too easy to break / overlevel. Though this game is more reflex skill-based, being a 3D action game, does it have a similar problem?

Pooya

I'm not really sure I like the game. It seems really repetitive. Like every mission and random battle is just "wait for the enemy to strike and hit them when it's red" over and over and over.

well, you fight same kind type of enemies a lot in the first half of the game, I didn't like fighting the same soldiers over and over again just with higher levels, I think the game has somewhat poor enemy variety. The better enemies are spread throughout the map rather in the story but it gets better after chapter 4.

Then between missions you can watch a few cutscenes, occasionally plot related, most just goofy character scenes, and you can do generic quests which involve killing a bunch of things usually. Since you can only stack 1 quest a time and you lose 6 hours and there's a lot of running/chocobo-ing on the world map involved and the rewards are nothing special, it makes me not want to do them. I just watch the cutscenes, do the moogle lecture and start the next mission.

some of the side quests are very rewarding, make sure you do the ones given by Arecia at least, some good rewards there. The better side quests are the combat mission ones you can take near the entrance but they are somewhat hard mostly for first play through , you can still do them but it's a bit hard. Some of the side quests you can take in other towns have good rewards too.

There's occasional story every few missions, but otherwise there's no real story going on for large chunks of the game. Just run through room after room dodging and striking back.

it's more of a 'day to day life during war' story perhaps, pacing is very similar to Valkyria Chronicles I think, after a while the main plot starts. You're in chapter 3 now, it picks up in chapter 4, and you'll see lots of cut-scenes after it.

You can slowly upgrade your magic stat by stat through the phantoma you get and upgrade your character with the AP you get. But at the end of the day you're mainly just dodging and hitting triangle over and over and over.

try mixing up the characters you use. sticking to just Ace for example can get really boring.

Also did any of you guys/girls finish a 2nd run of the game and did it fix/flesh out the story? I always find when they try to make up for having a crap story on the first playthrough by saying "new game+ has more scenes! play it again and the story will be good!!" they're usually lying through their teeth to get you to sink 15-20 hours into replaying the game for a few new scenes that don't add much.

not really, you get to see more from some events and know more about some characters, probably should have been in 1st play through really but it doesn't change the plot if you don't like it as it is. I think story sucked xD

XIII-2 came out and people found it too easy to break / overlevel. Though this game is more reflex skill-based, being a 3D action game, does it have a similar problem?

this game can be brutal, even parts of the story missions can be hard. some of the optional side content are really hard, D:

Bebpo

Banned
Ah, thanks!

So it's not really a game about the story where you are playing to move the plot along, but rather it's a game you play for everything BETWEEN the story; all the fun gameplay doing quests and exploring the world and leveling up your characters, abilities, and magic.

I played some more with that in mind and had a lot of fun! Been running around doing all the quests and gained a bunch of levels in the meantime. I've been using Rem with thunder magic and thunder magic buffing accessories. I like her ability to restore MP from AP so I just roll around and spam everyone to death with thunder :D

Was using Eight primarily because he's quick and so I can just dodge -> punch counter over and over. Now using Rem, Eight, Jack, Queen, King, Ace as my mains. They all play pretty good. Then there's the mid-tier group I keep leveled but don't use like Machina, and then there are about 4-5 characters I hate playing as so I'm not leveling them (Cinque, Scithe, Nine, forgot who else; anyone whose primary attack is ridiculously slow to come out).

I was finding the pacing weird because they give you all this time between missions and even after you watch the few cutscenes scattered around Suzaku there isn't a whole lot to do in that time. But if you focus on primarily questing and do as many quests as you can, that'll burn through the time really quick in 6 hour chunks, so it makes sense.

In missions do you all use the "AI help" / "multiplayer mode" stuff? I mean it's nice having higher level characters come in and makes it easier, but then only 1 character in your party is getting xp which isn't the best for leveling your group.

Anyhow, game is pretty fun. Definitely more of a gameplay game, less of a traditional plot-driven rpg. I guess I'm ok with that, especially since all these stories with "XIII" in them seem to be pretty iffy.

Varion

In missions do you all use the "AI help" / "multiplayer mode" stuff? I mean it's nice having higher level characters come in and makes it easier, but then only 1 character in your party is getting xp which isn't the best for leveling your group.
Beat the game without ever using it once. Just didn't have any interest in using it, I wanted to level and use the characters I picked and know they were there and weren't going to just disappear on me. As a result I found it really annoying when I kept running into quests and suchlike that required me to use them and had to ignore them.

And yeah I can't see people who play the game purely for the main story enjoying it all that much. It's got a few good bits (mostly in the second third) but the whole narrative feels so rushed I never managed to get particularly involved in any of it. And weeks after beating it the first time none of the characters have left any lasting impression on me at all, which is about what I expected but is still pretty disappointing. It's purely about the gameplay.

dramatis

I would say it's not that hard even if it is more reflex based. It's actually rather eerie what 13-2 and Type-0 have in common: mostly a breeze until the final boss, or in Type-0 the final dungeon.

Most of the 'difficulty' comes from the absurd restriction on not being able to swap in party members unless someone on the current team dies, which means you really need to have an emergency member waiting in the wings.

And the camera is balls.

Bebpo

Banned
Yay, beat the optional lvl.22 laser cat boss in the cave in the first area. Stupid blaster balls kept instant K.O.-ing all 3 party members when he re-appeared >_< Took him out from a distance with King in the end. Guns <3 <3

Party is around lvl.18-22 now. Did all the sidequests available currently except for the stupid 700SPP one since I don't play multiplayer and don't have any SPP :( Going to head back and finish up the Chapter 3 story. I'm at the story mission that's lvl.22.

Top Bottom