• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY (Agito XIII) Type-0 |OT| Occupy Suzaku

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
The game looks very action oriented and I love military academies as game settings. How long was it under development?

Also I was wondering and this is a general question for anyone, has or will Square ever consider porting there PSP games to XBLA or PSN? I just think these titles could thrive there.

Jonnyram

Aeana said:
Also, after playing a couple of missions and trying all of the different characters, I think Ace is my favorite to control by far. It may change as I power up the spells and I can start relying on them for the occasions when I have need a ranged attack, but Ace really has it all. Ranged attack, wonderful speed, and his deck command is fantastic. It can heal HP, heal MP, and even cast stop on enemies. I don't want to pigeonhole myself in with one character, though, so I'm going to keep rotating and see if I can find a couple I like controlling in addition to Ace. Right now, Rem is my #2 but her daggers are so short-range.
I like his Wall command :) Not too useful for the big guys, but it's great for avoiding shrapnel. And yeah, his strong Stop is amazing.

Famassu

Plywood said:
The game looks very action oriented and I love military academies as game settings. How long was it under development?
Technically 3,5 years, but the development didn't really advance for one year because the same team that's responsible for Type-0 worked on 3rd Birthday for a year.

Also I was wondering and this is a general question for anyone, has or will Square ever consider porting there PSP games to XBLA or PSN? I just think these titles could thrive there.
Well, Sony has that PSP Remasters thing and Square Enix is currently HD-fying FFX for PS3 (& Vita) as part of the HD Classics, so there's no reason why they couldn't jump on board the PSP Remasters thing as well (apart from being slow to jump on such things). I don't think an upgraded Type-0 for PS3 (and maybe Vita too) is out of the picture.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Famassu said:
Technically 3,5 years, but the development didn't really advance for one year because the same team that's responsible for Type-0 worked on 3rd Birthday for a year.

Well, Sony has that PSP Remasters thing and Square Enix is currently HD-fying FFX for PS3 (& Vita) as part of the HD Classics, so there's no reason why they couldn't jump on board the PSP Remasters thing as well (apart from being slow to jump on such things). I don't think an upgraded Type-0 for PS3 (and maybe Vita too) is out of the picture.
Ah, sucks they got stopped dead in there tracks to work on 3rd Birthday.

I had forgotten about FFX coming to PS3, it'd be great if Square decides to really pick up the pace on these things. Thanks Famassu.

Dunan

I'm finally playing the game -- when my old-fashioned discs arrived I was surprised at how unadorned the package was until I remembered that I bought the basic, vanilla game; it's the OST where I stumped up for the LE -- and I'm finding myself utterly unable to import the summer costumes. It tells my that my system data is "broken" (corrupted; hason shite iru) whether I use my own demo data or someone else's.

Anyone else having these problems?

Lumiere

Neo Member
Aeana said:
If you don't want to finish it, you can just download a save that already has them unlocked.

Thank you for posting the link!
I wanted to unlock the costumes but was too lazy to actually fulfill all the requirements in the demo. Didn't enjoy it too much, so it's good to hear the full game seems to be a lot better!

My copy should arrive by next week, looking forward to trying it out.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I'm really glad to hear that the actual game is an improvement over the demo. I guess I should just expect to not trust demos for RPGs. It's so hard to show RPGs in a good light when it's a small section mid-game. Too bad I won't be able to get the game until later... But I've already got so many games I need to finish, it's probably for the best!

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
For all who have little knowledge of Japanese and for all who have no idea... :p

Here is a spreadsheet with some translations.

Enjoy.

So I've got two questions:
1) How long do you think it'll take for the game to hit North America? We got XIII a mere three months later, but I think that had been decided way in advance. I'm not even sure if localization on Type-0 has even started yet. SE is definitely quiet on the subject.
2) How long before they put it up for PS3 as a PSP remaster game? This is Square Enix; you know they're going to do so with all of their PSP back catalogue at some point.

dramatis

AuthenticM said:
So I've got two questions:
1) How long do you think it'll take for the game to hit North America? We got XIII a mere three months later, but I think that had been decided way in advance. I'm not even sure if localization on Type-0 has even started yet. SE is definitely quiet on the subject.
2) How long before they put it up for PS3 as a PSP remaster game? This is Square Enix; you know they're going to do so with all of their PSP back catalogue at some point.
They haven't announced the game outside Japan. So....

Dunan

dramatis said:

I can't imagine a game this big (it's no PS3 AAA release, but it's bigger than, say, Blood of Bahamut or Sigma Harmonics) not getting translated into English at all. It might be for the Vita given the way the PSP's status in the West these days, but in one form or another, it'll come.

It's big enough to get an Ultimania -- coming out on 11/24 -- and big enough to get the release-day "halfway" strategy guides like the World Preview and the V-Jump book. None of the never-translated, never-sent-abroad games got those.

Three months from now (
OK, six
) we'll be wondering why we were so worried.

Famassu

dramatis said:
But Square Enix Europe has trademarked Type-0, Type-1, Type-2 and maybe onwards. They are going to do it, they are probably just assessing how they'll do it. They could

1) go with the PSP Remasters route for PS3 (how well did the Monster Hunter Portable 3rd PSP Remaster do?)
2) port to Vita (perhaps with added content/polish)
3) localize the PSP version and give it a UMD release (depends, how well did their PSP games do saleswise 6-12 months ago?)

or any kind of combination of those.

AuthenticM said:
I'm not even sure if localization on Type-0 has even started yet. SE is definitely quiet on the subject.

Didn't that one dude say on twitter that he was recording for a new FF game for a character named King some time ago?

Napalm_Frank said:
Didn't that one dude say on twitter that he was recording for a new FF game for a character named King some time ago?

Turned out to be a hoax. The image was photoshopped by some guy on GameFAQs.

Aeana

Hmmm... Well, the city capture missions play out a little differently than I expected, but I can't say I am a fan at all. These will bring down the game for me like Suikoden 5's RTS battles, I think. On the bright side, I did get an A on the first one.

Netto-kun

Playing through chapter 5 right now. Jack is a beast that deals plenty of damage.

Napalm_Frank said:
That was photoshopped.

dramatis

Dunan said:
I can't imagine a game this big (it's no PS3 AAA release, but it's bigger than, say, Blood of Bahamut or Sigma Harmonics) not getting translated into English at all. It might be for the Vita given the way the PSP's status in the West these days, but in one form or another, it'll come.

It's big enough to get an Ultimania -- coming out on 11/24 -- and big enough to get the release-day "halfway" strategy guides like the World Preview and the V-Jump book. None of the never-translated, never-sent-abroad games got those.

Three months from now (
OK, six
) we'll be wondering why we were so worried.
I'm not worried, really, since the game itself shows a sign that the localization department is working on it:
Gkvkx.jpg

Of course, we can consider the possibility that the developers walked up to the translator people and told them, "We think some English would look cool with our Japanese" and that resulted in the above, but I'll give them some space
and then it turns out they really just wanted it to look cool :(

Aeana

Netto-kun said:
Playing through chapter 5 right now. Jack is a beast that deals plenty of damage.

That was photoshopped.
He does do a truckload of damage, but he is way too slow for me. :\ Although actually, he may be ideal for the capture missions.

EDIT: I've said several times here that the translation is being worked on. Be patient.

Dunan

dramatis said:
Of course, we can consider the possibility that the developers walked up to the translator people and told them, "We think some English would look cool with our Japanese" and that resulted in the above, but I'll give them some space
and then it turns out they really just wanted it to look cool :(

Don't count that out; that's how it was with Valkyria Chronicles 3! Then again, that game's English under-titles were a little dodgy, whereas everything I've seen in FF-0 has been gramatically impeccable.

Also, PSA: Amazon.co.jp is offering the game for Y5880 ($75.50):

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B001DUI3A0/

Even with international shipping (if they'll ship to you... not sure if they do), that's cheaper than Play-Asia!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Dunan said:
Don't count that out; that's how it was with Valkyria Chronicles 3! Then again, that game's English under-titles were a little dodgy, whereas everything I've seen in FF-0 has been gramatically impeccable.

Also, PSA: Amazon.co.jp is offering the game for Y5880 ($75.50):

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B001DUI3A0/

Even with international shipping (if they'll ship to you... not sure if they do), that's cheaper than Play-Asia!

Funny that it's cheaper than the digital version.

Dunan

Kagari said:
Funny that it's cheaper than the digital version.

Digital versions, with their lack of reselling rights, need to get a lot cheaper in this era of 2-day Amazon deliveries.

I just wish Amazon still did price guarantees with their own sale prices, as my copy was Y6290 from them (and that felt like a bargain at the time)!

Aeana

Oh yeah, does anybody know why some character names are flashing yellow in the character select screen? It may have been explained and I just glossed over it, but I didn't catch it.

Netto-kun

Aeana said:
Oh yeah, does anybody know why some character names are flashing yellow in the character select screen? It may have been explained and I just glossed over it, but I didn't catch it.
Pretty sure it means max fighting spirit for the characters.

Toth

Aeana said:
He does do a truckload of damage, but he is way too slow for me. :\ Although actually, he may be ideal for the capture missions.

EDIT: I've said several times here that the translation is being worked on. Be patient.

I hope so Aeana. Hope you have some inside knowledge too...

A shame NA has been missing out on too many great epics lately.

Aeana

I actually like the way random encounters are handled on the world map. You enter into a separate battlefield but the way it's done reminds me of Zelda 2 kinda.

Also, I took this screenshot last night because it immediately made me think of FF10:

wbFVH.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aeana said:
Hmmm... Well, the city capture missions play out a little differently than I expected, but I can't say I am a fan at all. These will bring down the game for me like Suikoden 5's RTS battles, I think. On the bright side, I did get an A on the first one.
How do they work, out of curiosity? They seemed to be the most intriguing parts out of the game to me.

Aeana

Dark Schala said:
How do they work, out of curiosity? They seemed to be the most intriguing parts out of the game to me.
You start out with your base, and armies continuously set out to attack the current target. The opposing base(s) send out army units as well, and they clash with yours. What you have to do is disrupt the line (with your character's regular attacks and magic) in order to enable your armies to get to the opposing base and begin to capture it. Once they have, you enter it and go through maps and fight a miniboss. After that, you can send your units out from there as well, and you can change the unit type and destination. You do this repeatedly until your forces are big enough to take the main opposing base on the map. There's some other stuff to it but I've only done one and didn't soak up everything the moogle was telling me because I wasn't doing very well to begin with.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aeana said:
You start out with your base, and armies continuously set out to attack the current target. The opposing base(s) send out army units as well, and they clash with yours. What you have to do is disrupt the line (with your character's regular attacks and magic) in order to enable your armies to get to the opposing base and begin to capture it. Once they have, you enter it and go through maps and fight a miniboss. After that, you can send your units out from there as well, and you can change the unit type and destination. You do this repeatedly until your forces are big enough to take the main opposing base on the map. There's some other stuff to it but I've only done one and didn't soak up everything the moogle was telling me because I wasn't doing very well to begin with.
Oh, I see; that's a little disappointing. I was thinking it was going to be a little different. But it sounds like an interesting take on that sort of thing, albeit a little cumbersome (at least it seems that way).

You're right. It's making me think of Suikoden V's RTS battles (something I had a satisfied/dislike relationship with). If you weren't doing very well and still got an A-Rank, they seem to be pretty forgiving which isn't too bad (though this is probably because it's the first one). Thanks for the impressions.

Dunan

Aeana said:
I actually like the way random encounters are handled on the world map. You enter into a separate battlefield but the way it's done reminds me of Zelda 2 kinda.

Also, I took this screenshot last night because it immediately made me think of FF10:

wbFVH.jpg

Aeana, any way you could get a little closer to that sign and take another screenshot? I'm itching to read those letters, which surely say CHOCOBO something; I can see the three Os in the first word!

Aeana

Dunan said:
Aeana, any way you could get a little closer to that sign and take another screenshot? I'm itching to read those letters, which surely say CHOCOBO something; I can see the three Os in the first word!
Sure, when I get back there I'll do that.

Man, I really like how you can level up enemies in random encounters. I don't know if there's a limit or if you get a reward for leveling them to a certain point, because I chickened out after getting the enemies 15 levels above me (fight was really difficult without relying on kill sights). Really cool though.

kiryogi

Banned
So for those of you going for the full install experience, it's definitely some PS3 levels of waiting. At least 2 hours lol D: 81% on Disc 2 currently.

kenji

Are the game areas well designed or they're corridors like FF13?

I played the demo and the areas were too much simple, but I hope they were so because it was only a demo

Aeana

I took a quest to go into Korsi cave and the enemies were level 22 while my party was 13ish. I made it about 3 rooms in before people started dying. :(

kenji said:
Are the game areas well designed or they're corridors like FF13?

I played the demo and the areas were too much simple, but I hope they were so because it was only a demo

Mission areas can be somewhat enclosed, but there's a ton to explore.

Aeana

Hm, so nothing really happens if you keep leveling up random battles all the way. The final 'round' has boss-like enemies with multiple health bars but winning didn't seem to give me anything special. That was very grueling, and I lost a couple of characters. On the other hand, that may be good enough since it would make grinding much, much faster.

dramatis said:
I'm not worried, really, since the game itself shows a sign that the localization department is working on it:
http://i.imgur.com/Gkvkx.jpg[IMG]
Of course, we can consider the possibility that the developers walked up to the translator people and told them, "We think some English would look cool with our Japanese" and that resulted in the above, but I'll give them some space [spoiler]and then it turns out they really just wanted it to look cool :([/spoiler].[/QUOTE]
This doesn't really mean anything, you can see stuff like this is all the time in Anime and Japanese films, it doesn't mean they've got people working on an English version. English is prevalent throughout Japan in general; a lot of people are pretty fluent and many signs in cities have accompanying English text. This isn't the 90's anymore.

That said I'm still pretty confident this is getting localised eventually.

Aeana

speedpop said:
So is there any relationship between this and FF13?
It uses the same base mythology, although it's implemented differently. L'Cie, etc. are about but they aren't really the same as they were in FF13.

Other than that, it's its own game.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Okay, thanks. Guess I really need to spend a week to cruise through FF13 before this hits elsewhere.

Top Bottom