• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY (Agito XIII) Type-0 |OT| Occupy Suzaku

Midou

Having a hard time believing this came out with no localization announcement, there are companies like XSEED, Aksys, etc, working hard at translating niche RPGs, but Square Enix can't talk about localizing a damn Final Fantasy.

Aeana

omg, Just caught some chocobos on the world map~

speedpop said:
Okay, thanks. Guess I really need to spend a week to cruise through FF13 before this hits elsewhere.
Nah, I don't really think it matters. Type-0 explains the way it uses everything, it doesn't really assume any knowledge of FF13 whatsoever.

kiryogi

Banned
Midou said:
Having a hard time believing this came out with no localization announcement, there are companies like XSEED, Aksys, etc, working hard at translating niche RPGs, but Square Enix can't talk about localizing a damn Final Fantasy.

Realistically, the PSP is dead domestically :p SE would be the only one left that would actually release something if anything. For the most part though, all other publishers have abandoned ship.

Midou

kiryogi said:
Realistically, the PSP is dead domestically :p SE would be the only one left that would actually release something if anything. For the most part though, all other publishers have abandoned ship.

A downloadable version means it has new life on the Vita though. I mean, they might just make an upscaled Vita version, but it probably would not be for a while, since Japan already got a release of it.

Phenomic

Midou said:

I mean officially they haven't talked about it. I forget where it was an interview in a magazine maybe. They just asked the West to be patient so they could figure out how best to bring the game over. That was the gist I took from it at least.

duckroll

Midou said:
A downloadable version means it has new life on the Vita though. I mean, they might just make an upscaled Vita version, but it probably would not be for a while, since Japan already got a release of it.

Square Enix is not going to blow the launch of the game outside of Japan on a download-only PSN release. That would basically ruin the game's potential in the overseas market forever. On the other hand, if they wait about a year, they could easily release an enhanced version of the game on another platform worldwide - including Japan.

kiryogi

Banned
duckroll said:
Square Enix is not going to blow the launch of the game outside of Japan on a download-only PSN release. That would basically ruin the game's potential in the overseas market forever. On the other hand, if they wait about a year, they could easily release an enhanced version of the game on another platform worldwide - including Japan.

I'm so waiting for that HD Remaster for PS3. . . There day zero. XD Would gladly pay $$$ again.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
kenji said:
Are the game areas well designed or they're corridors like FF13?

I played the demo and the areas were too much simple, but I hope they were so because it was only a demo

They're not corridors but not expansive either. They're more like some of FF12's smallish size rooms. Reminds me a bit of Lord of Arcana and The 3rd birthday sort of rooms when it comes to size but with better art.

Midou said:

Well one problem with the game is that there's tons of text and voice acting. The Crystarium this time is sort of the datalog of Type-0 but with much more details than FF13. Enemies get their own descriptions also. So do characters and summons. There's quite a bit of talking, be it cutscenes or just NPCs in the school or in towns. Most of the story NPCs, if not all of them, are voiced and there are more than 40 this time (compared to FFXIII's 20 or so ). It's a pretty huge game to translate.

Midou

duckroll said:

This is essentially what I am expecting, but I would have liked to play the game sooner, but oh well. PS3/Vita remaster with maybe even more improvements could be pretty snazzy.

Midou

entrydenied said:
It's a pretty huge game to translate.

Doubt its as huge as Sora No Kiseki Second Chapter though, and XSEED is currently trying to translate that for the PSP, and currently its still UMD only, I very much doubt in their success though.. they will probably have to try to wait for falcom to do a vita port.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Midou said:
Doubt its as huge as Sora No Kiseki Second Chapter though, and XSEED is currently trying to translate that for the PSP, and currently its still UMD only, I very much doubt in their success though.. they will probably have to try to wait for falcom to do a vita port.

The point is that Final Fantasy is not a small title, releasing it making small numbers it's not an option. It has to sell at least as much as the first Dissidia, and today PSP's market will not grant that success. Moreover when they want to make it the first of a long series. If I have to bet on something, I'd say that an HD remaster is an option even more realistic than a late port on VITA/PSP. The west market shown BIG interest in the latest years for HD remasters (GoW, Team ICO) and they're willing to pay big and alot for having them... If Square Enix plays it good, they can market Type-0 here as a "new FF for current-gen consoles" and achieve an huge success compared to other platforms like PSP or VITA.

Labadal

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but have retailers said anything about how the game is selling? Or is it still to early?

NVM, reading MC thread now.

Netto-kun

The "Secret Special Training" option in the Arena is pretty neat. You basically gain experience points and AP by putting the PSP into sleep mode.

kenji

djplaeskool said:
Mission areas can be somewhat enclosed, but there's a ton to explore.
entrydenied said:
They're not corridors but not expansive either. They're more like some of FF12's smallish size rooms. Reminds me a bit of Lord of Arcana and The 3rd birthday sort of rooms when it comes to size but with better art.
well that's not bad, we'll see, thanks

another question, is there a place where I can get all the artworks of this game? I don't know how to get them from the official site :\

Labadal

A question to Aeana: Levelling up enemies, what's that all about and how does one do it?

One more question to everyone who got the game: How do you like the music so far? I have only heard the music in the demo when I played it, and I loved those tracks.

Netto-kun

Labadal said:
A question to Aeana: Levelling up enemies, what's that all about and how does one do it?
After defeating enemies in random battles, you'll get the option on whether to keep on fighting or not. The same group of enemies will appear again, but they'll be higher level than the previous group.

Labadal said:
One more question to everyone who got the game: How do you like the music so far? I have only heard the music in the demo when I played it, and I loved those tracks.
Liking it so far. I also love the work Ishimoto did for TWEwY and both Dissidia games. :D

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Netto-kun said:
After defeating enemies in random battles, you'll get the option on whether to keep on fighting or not. The same group of enemies will appear again, but they'll be higher level than the previous group.
Guess I didn't notice the part of tutorial that mentioned "they're getting stronger" part and was almost wiped out by a group of level 32 soldiers (I was on lv 10-11 at the time)...

Man

I'm all for a Vita port with HD 60fps graphics, more content and Trophies later on.
Do it Square-Enix!

Midou

Perfo said:
The point is that Final Fantasy is not a small title, releasing it making small numbers it's not an option. It has to sell at least as much as the first Dissidia, and today PSP's market will not grant that success. Moreover when they want to make it the first of a long series. If I have to bet on something, I'd say that an HD remaster is an option even more realistic than a late port on VITA/PSP. The west market shown BIG interest in the latest years for HD remasters (GoW, Team ICO) and they're willing to pay big and alot for having them... If Square Enix plays it good, they can market Type-0 here as a "new FF for current-gen consoles" and achieve an huge success compared to other platforms like PSP or VITA.

Well HD remasters can easily go to Vita as well, like MGS HD collection is, I'm sure the Vita will get some version of Type-0 down the line, since a major-enough FF on the Vita should easily help boost sales.

Perfo

Midou said:
Well HD remasters can easily go to Vita as well, like MGS HD collection is, I'm sure the Vita will get some version of Type-0 down the line, since a major-enough FF on the Vita should easily help boost sales.

Yes, that can help too. I'm seeing it selling better on PS3 than VITA though, in the west I mean.

Dunan

Aeana, thanks for the close-up! I concur with Duckroll; that has to say CHOCOBO RANCH. Another alphabet/English-based writing system; I wish they'd branch out a little bit!

Seeing Aeana's far-off screenshot, I'd been wondering if they were using the Pulse alphabet from FFXIII again. Last week's Dengeki Playstation (should still be in the bookstores if you look) had a map of the Byakko, Genbu, and Suzaku regions, which, while mostly in the Latin alphabet along with Japanese, has ORIENCE in Pulse at the top.

(Actual photo deleted because I don't want mods considering it a 'magazine scan'. It's just a map, and it's on page 18 for those of you who own the magazine.)

This is just from that material, not the game, so their editors may have inserted it; I'm still only at the very beginning of the game (6 hours of exploring the Peristȳlium before the next mission), so I haven't see any writing so far. I saw a lot during the Byakko (White Tiger) mission in the demo, but it was an a very different alphabet. It was still possible to pick out words like STOP, POINT, MAP, and a few others; it looked (in the demo) like a lot of teh text was placeholder stuff like ABCDEF and JKLMNO.

Looking forward to the rest of this game, that's for sure!

Dunan

Follow-up! I'm loving this game more with each passing minute.

A resident of Suzaku, watching over some kinds running around in the entrance to the Peristylium, says the following:

6291619246_f18eb83dc6_z.jpg

「大丈夫。
母は強し
、よ。この子たちは絶対守るの。」

"Don't worry; I'll take care of these kids.
Moms are tough!
"

Perfo

Dunan said:
「大丈夫。
母は強し
、よ。この子たちは絶対守るの。」

"Don't worry; I'll take care of these kids.
Moms are tough!
"

Still a case of TIME PARADOX!

Lol ~

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
This game is so good. Wanted to play only for a bit and it when I looked at the clock, 2 hours have passed. One thing that annoys me is that you can have only one side quest at a time, and because going out of school takes 6 hours, if you don't talk to everyone and check if they want something from outside, the quests are gone if you don't have enough time left.

Varion

Got up to the ... third mission in chapter 2 I think? last night. Could barely bring myself to stop playing at about 4am. Really loving the game so far.

- The gameplay's loads of fun. At the moment I'm mostly playing with Ace - Rem - Sice, although I'm trying to mix in more characters when they're on max fighting spirit because characters don't level when you're not using them. Which, honestly, is a pain because there are so MANY of them. Keeping 14 characters half-decent is going to be a bit of a pain. After I managed to beat the Golem in one of the missions solo with just Ace I can barely bring myself to stop using him though, that was one tough fight (full of Moogle shouting "You can't beat him, move on!". I can and I did! And got about 10 SOs in the process.)
- Music's great so far. If I had one grumble it's that the world map is a bit lacking relative to others in the series, but the rest is great, and I mostly use chocobos to get around anyway. I hope the airship theme is good though.
- The characters remain my only big worry. Like I said there's just so many of them, and they get dumped on you all at once. If the game can only honestly make them all feel unique and interesting by the end then I'll be really impressed, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Makes for great gameplay variety at least, but I like to actually like the characters in my RPGs.
- Personally I really enjoyed my first war battle. How all of the base points on the map constantly send out units has been explained earlier in the thread, but if you do a task for the Moogle then you get to control the base and choose where you want to deploy its units to (and what type, bases generally have multiple types of soldier in them). For example, the first base you take has a gun turret nearby firing on you, and you have to go and take that out to get control of it. Sometime there's also the equivalent of SOs in the towns themselves instead. The enemy can also do some unexpected things, like in the first one when you've taken almost all of the bases the enemy side panics and sends out a load of giant robots from their main base straight for your town to mix things up, so I had to run back, send some more reinforcements to the main base and help in mopping them up, then when they were gone head to take their main base. I've always liked the Suikoden war battles so it's nice to have something like that here, sort of.
- The world map is back! Everyone knows this already but really, it's a great feeling stepping out onto it for the first time. You get loads of chocobos right from the start too (the chocobo system is weird, you find them running around the world map and have to run up and literally 'catch' them). You start with 20, and after that they're not especially rare either. Can't see them all in the ranch, you sort of... use them like items. Chocobo breeding isn't a 2-produce-1 thing this time either, I did my first breeding and got five chocobos out of it, three war ones and two regular ones. They take a day to hatch and you can't use the parents again though.
- There's plenty of other stuff on the world map too, such as optional areas and, somewhat terrifyingly, symbol encounters where you can see an enemy wandering around the world map. Generally these are to be avoided, one charged at me and just caught me... and then I was in battle with a couple of L99 beasts that slaughtered my main three party members then ran away. Bastards.
- The actual 'time' system the game uses takes a bit of managing too. Basically before each mission begins you have a set amount of time you can use up. Doing a quest doesn't take any. Seeing a ! event takes up 2 hours. Going out onto the world map takes 6 (once the mission has started you can go in and out from the world map freely as much as you want though) and if you don't have 6 left you can't go out at all until the mission has begun. Taking a lesson takes 2 hours too, and can give you different stat rewards depending on which lesson you do. Once it's time for a mission all quests and events vanish.

All in all it's really really good.

Keiician said:
One thing that annoys me is that you can have only one side quest at a time, and because going out of school takes 6 hours, if you don't talk to everyone and check if they want something from outside, the quests are gone if you don't have enough time left.
Yeah this can be quite annoying. At one point I sorted out the quest I was going to do (and made a mental note of an item I needed for another one) so was heading out to the world map to get it done... and ran into someone else near the front gate who just wanted 3 potions that I had on me. So I had to cancel the mission I'd accepted from the Crystarium to accept that one, handed the potions over immediately, then had to go all the way back to the Crystarium to accept the mission again. Which was a bit annoying.

Takao

Banned
Perfo said:

I'm not sure how embracing the western market will be of a brand Final Fantasy title being on PS3, yet not looking like it's a PS3 game given both Final Fantasy XIII, and XIII-2 will be out by then. It doesn't hold the excuse that it's an old game, nor does it hold the excuse it was on another platform, since in the west, it wouldn't be on another platform.

It also kind of deflates the idea that Type - 0 could be the start of a new handheld series. Square Enix trademarked "Type-1"
diabetes
etc.

Perfo

Takao said:
I'm not sure how embracing the western market will be of a brand Final Fantasy title being on PS3, yet not looking like it's a PS3 game given both Final Fantasy XIII, and XIII-2 will be out by then. It doesn't hold the excuse that it's an old game, nor does it hold the excuse it was on another platform, since in the west, it wouldn't be on another platform.

It also kind of deflates the idea that Type - 0 could be the start of a new handheld series. Square Enix trademarked "Type-1"
diabetes
etc.

I'm sure they don't have problems like the guy before said to release it also on VITA like MGS HD Collection. They could do something like that, embracing a solid market first (PS3) and a newborn (VITA) too. I'm pretty confident though in thinking that Type-0 if published at the same time for both platforms, will sell way more on PS3. Imagine also the Limited Editions they could come out with in Europe too.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Varion said:
So I had to cancel the mission I'd accepted from the Crystarium to accept that one, handed the potions over immediately, then had to go all the way back to the Crystarium to accept the mission again. Which was a bit annoying.
You didn't have to cancel anything, I'm just past that point and the truth is, that the only side quests that need to be active are the ones that require you to kill the X number of monsters and to get Y number of items from monsters. Items from bosses (like the one
in the cave
don't require you to have an active quest to drop.

Aeana

Kinda disappointed with the sleep mode leveling. The amount of EXP you get isn't much. I made about 4000 EXP while I slept, and naturally since this game hates the player, only the active member gets that EXP.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Aeana said:
Kinda disappointed with the sleep mode leveling. The amount of EXP you get isn't much. I made about 4000 EXP while I slept, and naturally since this game hates the player, only the active member gets that EXP.
Oh come on, what did you expect? :p

Varion

Aeana said:
If you got too much there'd barely be any point in playing the game at all though, surely? As soon as I read the description for that I figured it would be either completely useless or completely broken. Seems like it's the former.

Aeana

Keiician said:
I was really hoping it would go to everyone since the amount is so paltry to begin with. Keeping all of the characters leveled manually is a hassle I don't want to deal with.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Aeana said:
I was really hoping it would go to everyone since the amount is so paltry to begin with. Keeping all of the characters leveled manually is a hassle I don't want to deal with.
Well, it's true that having to level all the characters is a pain in the ass. For me the quickest way to do so is to take one high level and 2 low level ones to the field and fight with the strong enemies, while being near a city. That way even if the weaklings die, I can ress them fast.

dramatis

Keiician said:
You didn't have to cancel anything, I'm just past that point and the truth is, that the only side quests that need to be active are the ones that require you to kill the X number of monsters and to get Y number of items from monsters. Items from bosses (like the one
in the cave
don't require you to have an active quest to drop.
You were able to keep more than one quest active?

What I got was when you talk to Quest Guy 1 and accept his quest, and then you talk to Quest Guy 2, the game tells you that you have to cancel your other quest if you want to accept Quest Guy 2's quest. This isn't restricted to just kill X monsters or get Y items.

...Oh wait. Never mind, what you mean is if you have the requested item(s) in your inventory you can complete the quest right off the bat.

To level characters easily, take the character you want to level, run into a random battle that allows you to "level up" the enemies, and fight until you think the next round might take your team out.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Is there a way to escape from map battles other than having your whole team wiped out and not calling the reserve? Those damn monsters visible on the map are killing me when I try to interact with running chocobos :(

dramatis

Keiician said:
Is there a way to escape from map battles other than having your whole team wiped out and not calling the reserve? Those damn monsters visible on the map are killing me when I try to interact with running chocobos :(
Nope there isn't. Your best bet is to RUN LIKE HELL away from the world map symbol encounters. If the chocobo you're chasing is in the vicinity of one, give up on the chocobo.

I tried scouting out a battle area to see if there are escape walls in a world map battle like in Tales/Star Ocean/Resonance of Fate, but there are none.

Aeana

Keiician said:
Use a teleport stone.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Damn, I wanted to kill the
Golem
in the said misson so bad that I sacrificed the entire Class Zero for this sole encounter, leaving only Eight and the girl with the flute (both on lv. 10) alive. Needles to say, I was unable to finish the mission - I don't even know if killing the damn thing gives you anything other than satisfaction...

Takao

Banned
Perfo said:
I'm sure they don't have problems like the guy before said to release it also on VITA like MGS HD Collection. They could do something like that, embracing a solid market first (PS3) and a newborn (VITA) too. I'm pretty confident though in thinking that Type-0 if published at the same time for both platforms, will sell way more on PS3. Imagine also the Limited Editions they could come out with in Europe too.

They've released tonnes of Limited Editions for Square Enix's PSP games in Europe too. No doubt they'd do the same for a Vita release, lol.

duckroll

Keiician said:

A game which is designed to represent a fighting force as the "main character" with military based gameplay and story should certainly consider having an exp pool instead, allowing the player as the master strategist to distribute the points accordingly whenever required. This is why Valkyria is the best.

709zzy

Banned
I sincerely wish Type-0 never gets an English release, so the losers who didn't buy a single PSP game will reap what they sow.

Labadal

709zzy said:
I sincerely wish Type-0 never gets an English release, so the losers who didn't buy a single PSP game will reap what they sow.

Really? Sorry, but that's some of the most moronic reasoning I've read or heard in a long time.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Enough Type-0 for today, but I've got to say, it's the most fun I had with a FF game since IX.

Aeana

duckroll said:
A game which is designed to represent a fighting force as the "main character" with military based gameplay and story should certainly consider having an exp pool instead, allowing the player as the master strategist to distribute the points accordingly whenever required. This is why Valkyria is the best.
That would have been soo much better.

Phenomic

709zzy said:

Erroneous on many accounts! On my shelf I have Star Ocean 1 and 2, Crisis Core, Dissidia, Trails in the Sky, Ys 1&2, Ys Oath, Ys 7, Crisis Core, Valkyrie Profile, Birth by Sleep, Breath of Fire 3, Valkyria 2 and Lunar.

I've done more than my fair share other than tactical games, which is a genre I don't enjoy aside from Valkyria.

Top Bottom