• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY (Agito XIII) Type-0 |OT| Occupy Suzaku

Dunan

duckroll said:
A game which is designed to represent a fighting force as the "main character" with military based gameplay and story should certainly consider having an exp pool instead, allowing the player as the master strategist to distribute the points accordingly whenever required. This is why Valkyria is the best.

I've become a big fan of that system since VC and its sequels introduced me to it. The Tactics Ogre remake has it too. VC3 actually goes back to conventional leveling a bit as your characters have a lot of skills that need to be raised by their own actions; I missed being able to plug a rookie in and have him perform.

Fortunately this game gives you other ways to even out the levels!

Aeana

Dunan said:
I've become a big fan of that system since VC and its sequels introduced me to it. The Tactics Ogre remake has it too. VC3 actually goes back to conventional leveling a bit as your characters have a lot of skills that need to be raised by their own actions; I missed being able to plug a rookie in and have him perform.

Fortunately this game gives you other ways to even out the levels!
Like what?

I mean, leveling up random encounters is nice and all but it is still grinding.

Varion

Keiician said:
Damn, I wanted to kill the
Golem
in the said misson so bad that I sacrificed the entire Class Zero for this sole encounter, leaving only Eight and the girl with the flute (both on lv. 10) alive. Needles to say, I was unable to finish the mission - I don't even know if killing the damn thing gives you anything other than satisfaction...
Nope, just the satisfaction. First time you don't get anything at all, second time you just get told congratulations. That's it.

jae

You can get a nice chunk of EXP from a lecture at the beginning of each chapter. It helps to catch up a little bit, but it still isn't really enough.

I'm not sure how well it would work but something like the tavern quests from FFT where you can choose 3 characters to go off to do a task that takes x amount of hours in between missions while you do the other side stuff would have been nice.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm liking the impressions I'm hearing in this thread. I didn't know you could put the PSP in sleep mode and gain XP that way. Cool, but kinda too bad the XP isn't given to everyone. Leaning closer to possibly picking this up towards or after Christmas then.

Varion said:
The enemy can also do some unexpected things, like in the first one when you've taken almost all of the bases the enemy side panics and sends out a load of giant robots from their main base straight for your town to mix things up, so I had to run back, send some more reinforcements to the main base and help in mopping them up, then when they were gone head to take their main base. I've always liked the Suikoden war battles so it's nice to have something like that here, sort of.
Yeah, that's why I was interested in the concept; it reminded me a lot of Genso Suikoden. I guess I'll have to play it myself to see if I'll like it or not.

The idea of the enemy doing something that the player wouldn't expect sounds very intriguing to me. I like that kind of thing.

709zzy said:
I sincerely wish Type-0 never gets an English release, so the losers who didn't buy a single PSP game will reap what they sow.
What am I reading? @_@

Aeana

I just spent like 30 minutes fighting an endless stream of enemies in the arena. I guess it never ends, though you can opt to leave whenever you want and keep your EXP.

Jigsaw

Banned
709zzy said:
I sincerely wish Type-0 never gets an English release, so the losers who didn't buy a single PSP game will reap what they sow.

as if they would care,i bet before the end of the year there will at least be an english menu patch,these losers will play it and the guys who buy their games won't,does this make you feel better?

Aeana

Huh. Suddenly, the characters I haven't really used jumped from about level 11 to 15-16. It didn't happen at the chapter changeover, but perhaps it happened after I did the first mandatory event in chapter 3?

Edit: or... It could have been triggered by me getting a character to level 20...

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Aeana said:
Edit: or... It could have been triggered by me getting a character to level 20...
I have one character on level 20 I think and it didn't trigger anything if I'm not wrong.
Will do the first thing in chapter 3 today, so I'll check if it changes the levels of the rest of the bunch.

Also, do we know how many chapters are there in the game?

Netto-kun

Reached chapter 6, I think I just hit a wall with the first mission.

Keiician said:
Also, do we know how many chapters are there in the game?
I think there are 8 chapters.

Edit: Guess I'll replay and grind in the previous missions.

jae

Aeana said:
Huh. Suddenly, the characters I haven't really used jumped from about level 11 to 15-16. It didn't happen at the chapter changeover, but perhaps it happened after I did the first mandatory event in chapter 3?

It was probably from the lecture. You get like 10000 exp for it. I got a similar level jump from it.

Aeana

jae said:
It was probably from the lecture. You get like 10000 exp for it. I got a similar level jump from it.
Ohhh, that's right, I do remember getting 10000 EXP from the lecture, but I thought it only affected my lead character. Does that mean the other lecture stuff like stat boosts affect all members too?

Aeana

Awesomeee, this quest in chapter 3 from a guy in the Crystarium got me a tri-cornered hat accessory (三角帽子) that raises all magic stats by 8.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Aeana said:
Awesomeee, this quest in chapter 3 from a guy in the Crystarium got me a tri-cornered hat accessory (三角帽子) that raises all magic stats by 8.

There's a quest later in Chap 5 with Arecia. Gives 12 copies of an accessory that gives +7 in all magic stats. She is generous XD.

jae

Aeana said:
Ohhh, that's right, I do remember getting 10000 EXP from the lecture, but I thought it only affected my lead character. Does that mean the other lecture stuff like stat boosts affect all members too?

Yeah, it does.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
How am I supposed to do those capture sidequests that require you to have characters on levels ~30 to clear them at the beginning of third chapter? They're required for other sidequests and those will become unavailable once I'll start the mission. Is grinding the only option?

dramatis

Keiician said:
How am I supposed to do those capture sidequests that require you to have characters on levels ~30 to clear them at the beginning of third chapter? They're required for other sidequests and those will become unavailable once I'll start the mission. Is grinding the only option?
What capture sidequests? I got only one from the guy standing in the back of the "War Room" and it was for level 20 somethings Byakko soldiers, does he ask for higher level captures afterwards?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I mean the missions from the guy just before those red gates (the one with the 務 above his head). He gives you city capture missions - one for level 35 and one for level 36. Tried doing them @22, but I got wiped when the enemies surrounded me on the fourth screen...

Edit:
Oh come on people, I know that you're here, help a mate in need!

Astery

Keiician said:
I mean the missions from the guy just before those red gates (the one with the 務 above his head). He gives you city capture missions - one for level 35 and one for level 36. Tried doing them @22, but I got wiped when the enemies surrounded me on the fourth screen...

Edit:
Oh come on people, I know that you're here, help a mate in need!

I guess they are intended for the 2nd play through. Still on my 1st play through tho I am not sure.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Astery said:
I guess they are intended for the 2nd play through. Still on my 1st play through tho I am not sure.
Yeah, I was wondering about that too, because they've clearly stated that the second play through is supposed to be different from the first one and I really don't believe that there will be a ton of new quests added. Guess they went the easy way.

faridmon

709zzy said:
Last game I actually bought was the collection edition of P3P. what are you on about?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I have to say, Eight is probably my favourite characters in terms of fighting style. Yeah, he lacks range, but the sheer amount of possible attacks with 2 skills equipped is great! 4 + 4 + basic combo, you can't possibly beat that (unless you have a gun, but whatever).
Too bad he's so meh as far as the design goes.

Edit:
As for my earlier question, people on mixi's Type-0 community forums also think those are for the second play through. Guess I'll leave it at that and focus on things I actually can complete without long grinding.

Edit2:
Is there a way to compare the stats on the piece of equipment you want to buy and the one you're wearing at the moment?

Netto-kun

Astery said:
Yeah, some of the missions seem to be intended for New Game+. I stumbled upon some other sidequests where the recommended level is 55+.

Just finished chapter 6. Plot stuffs and spoilers ahead:
Final boss battle on the Big Bridge was so cool, of course it was accompanied with the appropriate music. The cutscene with Caetuna summoning Alexander and nuking most of the Milites troops was amazing. I didn't expect her to become crystallized right afterwards, while Kurasame biting the dust was sort of expected.

Keiician said:
Edit2:
Is there a way to compare the stats on the piece of equipment you want to buy and the one you're wearing at the moment?
I don't think there are any ways to compare equipments in the shop menu, at least I have yet to notice any.

duckroll said:
A game which is designed to represent a fighting force as the "main character" with military based gameplay and story should certainly consider having an exp pool instead, allowing the player as the master strategist to distribute the points accordingly whenever required. This is why Valkyria is the best.
I'm hoping stuff like this can get modified and fixed for the
definitive
next release.

Dunan

My Limited Edition soundtrack arrived, and I'm liking what I'm hearing!

I don't think anyone's translated the names of the songs, so let me take a stab at it (credit me if you repost them):

1. 開闢の刻 The Moment of Creation
2. 我ら来たれり We Have Arrived
3. 導かれる結論 Led To A Conclusion
4. 運命の三時間 Three Fated Hours
5. 炎の翼 Wings of Flame
6. 深淵の恐怖 Fear of the Abyss
7. 浄火 Flames of Purity
8. 鋼の腕 Steel Arms
9. 戦 - 一騎当千 Battle: One Against Many
10. クリスタルの使従 Apostles of the Crystal
11. 死に方の選び方 Choosing How To Die
12. アレシア・アルラシア Arecia al-Rashia
13. クリスタルの加護 The Crystal's Protection
14. 静謐な時間 Quiet Moments
15. もぐりん Mogurin
16. 消えた記憶 Vanished Memory
17. とある日の日常 An Ordinary Day
18. マキナ・クナギリ Machina Kunagiri
19. 戦 - 目に見えぬ平和 Battle: No Peace To Be Seen

Disc 2

1. 示される力 Power On Display
2. 穢れなき瞳 A Pure Eye
3. レム・トキミヤ Rem Tokimiya
4. 寂しき心 A Lonely Heart
5. 蠢くもの Crawlers
6. 朱雀の旗が立つとき The Suzaku Flag Is Raised
7. 滾る心 A Heart Exploding
8. 踏みしめる大地 Stamping the Ground
9. チョコボ! Chocobo!
10. 戦 - 奪還作戦 Battle: Plans To Recover
11. 戦 - 立ち塞がるもの Battle: Stand and Defend
12. 白き雷 White Lightning
13. 戦 - 白の兵器 Battle: White Soldiers
14. 優しき涙 A Tear of Kindness
15. 戦 - 暗き生 Battle: Dark Rawness
16. 戦 - 潜むもの Battle: In Hiding
17. 戦 - 突破 Battle: Breakthrough
18. 戦 - 弩級の響き Massive Reverberation
19. 消えゆく心 A Disappearing Heart

Disc 3

1. 蒼き魂 Blue Spirit
2. 揺蕩う想い Wavering Feelings
3. 戦 - 追撃 Battle: Chase
4. 人の弱さと強さ Human Weakness and Strength
5. 自らの歴史と運命 One's Own History and Fate
6. 空翔る Soaring in the Sky
7. 戦 - 静かな激闘 Battle: Quietly Intense
8. 戦 - ナラクの底 Battle: The Depths of Hell
9. マキナ・クナギリ Machina Kunagiri / Arrange Version
10. レム・トキミヤ Rem Tokimiya / Arrange Version
11. 戦 - 静かな激闘 Battle: Quietly Intense / Long Version
12. フィニスの刻 The Hour of 'Finis'
13. マキナとレム Machina and Rem
14. 裁きの刻 The Hour of Judgment
15. 朱雀の炎 Suzaku's Flame
16. 零式 Type-0

Wow, these song titles use some tough vocabulary! Could be a few singular/plural glitches in there as I haven't played the game all the way through yet. Good stuff, and I haven't even looked at the DVD yet!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Netto-kun said:
I don't think there are any ways to compare equipments in the shop menu, at least I have yet to notice any.
Yeah, I also didn't notice any and even tried all the buttons - seems that there's no such option. It should be mandatory in all RPGs, period.

On the other hand, although I'm still 2 hours before the first chapter 3 mission, I haven't found weapons anywhere else than the in school shop, so it hasn't really been a problem yet.

Famassu

Dunan said:

I don't think anyone's translated the names of the songs, so let me take a stab at it (credit me if you repost them):
VGMDB has two alternative translations. Though, I like some of yours more (Moment of Creation > Time of the Beginnings/Time of the Foundation), at least without knowing the context. :p And some of the alternative ones at VGMDB are downright bad (We Are Arrived)

http://vgmdb.net/album/27417

Dunan

Famassu said:
VGMDB has two alternative translations. Though, I like some of yours more (Moment of Creation > Time of the Beginnings/Time of the Foundation), at least without knowing the context. :p And some of the alternative ones at VGMDB are downright bad (We Are Arrived)

http://vgmdb.net/album/27417

I just dashed mine off in a few minutes, not knowing that others had attempted it and expecting that people here might offer a little help on some of the less elegant-sounding ones so that we could produce something definitive. I guess you can add mine to theirs and have three takes on everything!

'We Are Arrived' is actually forgivable, somewhat. The original Japanese uses the verb kitareri, which is an archaic form for 'have come' that sounds very out of place in today's language. It's roughly like the English present perfect, carrying the implication that the state brought about by the verb continues onward after the action. English used to have forms like this, and in fact the traditional Japanese translation of the Bible's "the Lord is come" uses the same form. I considered it, but "We Are Come" just sounds so weird.

The "white" in Disc 2, 12 and 13, is probably a reference to the Byakko (White Tiger) army, and, not knowing how they were going to translate Byakko in the game, I English-ized it as "white" rather than doing something with "Byakko" (I considered using Latin "albus", but that's going too far).

And after finally listening to the third disk, I see that
I missed a few tracks (as did they)
. I also forgot to go back to 1.3, and misread the kanji in 1.7 as 争 when it was in fact 浄. 1.9 'One Against Many' is literally '1 Against 1000', but the figurative use of the number sounded better. And I see that they kept the literal meaning of 'Dreadnought" in 弩級 (Dreadnought-class, but later generalized to just mean 'immense'). I guess that one depends on whether that's an actual airship named Dreadnought in this game. Don't spoil it for me; I'm only in Chapter 3!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Dunan said:

Mmm? So the soundtrack listing is completely in Japanese? That's kind of interesting given that the FFXIII OST (at least my LE copy) had an English tracklist.

Edit: Is the Bump of Chicken song on there? If it isn't, I might splurge on the single CD while I have a chance to get the LE version of that.

Aeana

It's kinda weird but now that I am in chapter 5, I find my interest in the game beginning to wane. It may not actually have anything to do with the game, though, so I think I'll just take a break and come back to it when things are going a little better.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
How linear is the game? In the demo, it seemed pretty linear. Is it mission based for the most part?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
thetrin said:
How linear is the game? In the demo, it seemed pretty linear. Is it mission based for the most part?
Well, the flow is basically like this:
- You get a new mission and a time before you have to start it.
- Each activity takes 2 hours of that time.
- You can talk to NPCs scattered around the school with "!" above their heads, which takes time.
- You can take on side quests (one can be active at a time, and some requirements can be met only when the quest's active) which sometimes require you to go to the world map, which takes 6 hours.
- When you run out of time you have to do the mission.

Basically, befoe each mission you try to get the most out of the time left, but the choice of activities is limited. You can do them in any order you want though.

Well, I guess it is pretty linear but you have lots of things to do and you can choose to skip them and go straight to the mission, in which case you'll probably have your ass handed to you, because of being underleveled.

dramatis

thetrin said:
Think Persona 3/4: there's set "war" missions that occur after a certain amount of time (the assigned time changes from chapter to chapter), but in between the war missions you're free to spend your time as you wish. There's just a different weight to what certain actions do. While Persona uses Afternoon/Night blocks, Type-0 uses hours: talking to certain people shave off 2 hours, whereas going to world map and returning will shave off 6. The bulk of your play is spent out on the world map.

jae

Jigsaw said:
can you replay missions anytime you want?(like in crisis core) if so,story missions too?

You can replay story missions with adjustable difficulty from the main menu. It's a good way to level up summons since you can't use them outside of story missions.

Jonnyram

Just got to the world map and switched my main to Rem <3
Did that Aquapurin quest from the guy in Corsi, after finding out the weapon research facility's guy's quest would be impossible at my current level. Thanks to the "fight again?" feature, these things can end up being pretty quick, once you get the right monster. It's kind of a coincidence that I had literally just chosen Rem AND changed her magic to Thunder when I got this quest though.

Dunan

Jonnyram said:
Just got to the world map and switched my main to Rem <3
Did that Aquapurin quest from the guy in Corsi, after finding out the weapon research facility's guy's quest would be impossible at my current level. Thanks to the "fight again?" feature, these things can end up being pretty quick, once you get the right monster. It's kind of a coincidence that I had literally just chosen Rem AND changed her magic to Thunder when I got this quest though.

I did that one too, and then tried to do one that involved getting an item from the Corsi cave, and died in a room toward the back with a treasure chest in it; a bunch of wild cougars wouldn't stop jumping on me. Then I ran out of time to keep doing optional missions -- the story mission began.

It's really too bad you can't have more than one sidequest going at once. It's impossible to do them all because each time you re-enter the Peristyluim and go back out onto the world map, you lose another six hours. If you could take two or three missions with you, complete them, and then go back to base and report to the people, it would be a lot more time-efficient, both for the protagonists and for the person holding the PSP.

Jonnyram

Dunan said:
I did that one too, and then tried to do one that involved getting an item from the Corsi cave, and died in a room toward the back with a treasure chest in it; a bunch of wild cougars wouldn't stop jumping on me. Then I ran out of time to keep doing optional missions -- the story mission began.
Oh you just have to run past the cougars for that? Yeah, no way in hell I can take them on at my level.

It's really too bad you can't have more than one sidequest going at once. It's impossible to do them all because each time you re-enter the Peristyluim and go back out onto the world map, you lose another six hours. If you could take two or three missions with you, complete them, and then go back to base and report to the people, it would be a lot more time-efficient, both for the protagonists and for the person holding the PSP.
Well, it's not that bad, in that you can accept sidequests from people in towns outside the Academy and take care of them within the six hours, but if there are multiple sidequests within the Academy that you could end up missing, I guess that's a pain. I'm still on the first time on the World Map though, so don't know just how bad it is for missing stuff. I assume you can get stuff later because the game has clearly been designed with replaying in mind.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Dunan said:
It's impossible to do them all because each time you re-enter the Peristyluim and go back out onto the world map, you lose another six hours.
Like I've said before, if the quest doesn't require you to kill a certain number of monsters etc. you can meet the criteria while not having it active and just talk to the NPC to times in a row to take it and complete it. Until now (chapter 3, right before the first mission) I wasn't in a situation where I couldn't do all the quests before the mission.

Dunan

Jonnyram said:
Oh you just have to run past the cougars for that? Yeah, no way in hell I can take them on at my level.

You can run past them in the first few rooms, but you can't open the chest in the last room as long as they're still attacking you, so make sure you can beat them before taking on that quest! I didn't bother with it and just moved on.

@Keiiciah and Jonny -- Can you instantly fulfill the requirements of one of those "bring me some items" people inside the Peristylium even if you've got another quest active? I know you can finish them just by talking twice if you're not already in the middle of something, but IIRC it asks you if you want to abandon the quest you're on as soon as you first talk to the person, even if you've got the items they want.

In finishing Chapter 2, I noticed that there are two very different paths you can take. I first took the inside path and got killed by the Golem, wandering around not knowing what to do: the moogle tells you about
summoning
, but actually you have to
attack the glowing door
; my second time through I found a different door and completed the mission while remaining mostly on the outer ramparts.

I'm getting better at using Kill Sights and (importantly) at manipulating the camera using the D-pad while running around and doing other stuff with the other buttons. This game really demands three sets of fingers!

Lucis

anyone figure out how ap is given out every level? seems random

also spoiler

makina and rem becomes l'cie i think, was reading &#36637;&#30707; and found that out the unexpected way lol,
i'm on chapter 6, looks like only 2 more chapter before final

dramatis

Dunan said:
@Keiiciah and Jonny -- Can you instantly fulfill the requirements of one of those "bring me some items" people inside the Peristylium even if you've got another quest active? I know you can finish them just by talking twice if you're not already in the middle of something, but IIRC it asks you if you want to abandon the quest you're on as soon as you first talk to the person, even if you've got the items they want.

I'm getting better at using Kill Sights and (importantly) at manipulating the camera using the D-pad while running around and doing other stuff with the other buttons. This game really demands three sets of fingers!
You can't fulfill the "get me stuff" quests without cancelling your active quest.

I gave up using the D-pad for camera since I'm not a monhan veteran, and can't do The Claw. It might help to set targeting to permalock on instead of hold R to lock on, but I switch between the two for different battles.

Miutsu

I wanna know, how long is the game? I know most of you havent finished it but some are saying that there are 8 chapters and some are around chapter 6, I guess that could give an estimate

Lucis

Miutsu said:
I wanna know, how long is the game? I know most of you havent finished it but some are saying that there are 8 chapters and some are around chapter 6, I guess that could give an estimate

just to finish the main story is about 20-25 hours i'd say.

Labadal

The quest system sounds annoying and the whole time system sounds a little limiting to the player. Why not allow players to complete quests at will? Not getting exp for all characters means you will have to grind non active characters, right?

I still think I will love the game, but the game seems to have strange design decisions.

Top Bottom