• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY (Agito XIII) Type-0 |OT| Occupy Suzaku

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Labadal said:
The quest system sounds annoying and the whole time system sounds a little limiting to the player. Why not allow players to complete quests at will? Not getting exp for all characters means you will have to grind non active characters, right?

I still think I will love the game, but the game seems to have strange design decisions.
I think they limited the quests so that players would have to complete the game for the second time, just to clear it all.

Varion

Gvaz said:
Currently this thing looks cooler/better than FFXIII-2. Super excited for it.
If only looking better than XIII-2 was actually an achievement :/

On Chapter 5 now, just as I'm finally starting to catch up with the late level 30s quests NPCs start offering me L50+ ones. Yep, they've designed this game to make you do a New Game+ alright.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Question to people who are playing for at least few hours. - who's your favjrite character? Also, am I the only one who doesn't give a damn about half of them?

Aeana

Keiician said:
Question to people who are playing for at least few hours. - who's your favjrite character? Also, am I the only one who doesn't give a damn about half of them?
I don't care about most of them either because they don't do much to make you care about them. You have a couple of central characters who are involved in the story, mainly Rem and Machina, and everyone else is just kind of there (with a few more exceptions). I am honestly not really impressed with the story in the game - I guess I was hoping for something a little different than what I got.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Aeana said:
I don't care about most of them either because they don't do much to make you care about them. You have a couple of central characters who are involved in the story, mainly Rem and Machina, and everyone else is just kind of there (with a few more exceptions). I am honestly not really impressed with the story in the game - I guess I was hoping for something a little different than what I got.
I wonder will it change during the second play through, which is supposed to focus more on the characters.

Aeana said:
Man, I really hate when characters in your group are underdeveloped. I was hoping this game would have a strong story, with its characters backing it up (all of them).

dramatis

Keiician said:
I wonder will it change during the second play through, which is supposed to focus more on the characters.
Funny thing is I'm wading through chapter 4 now and there's a lot of "character development" here. Your time is spent doing nothing but talking to characters.

dragonlife said:
Man, I really hate when characters in your group are underdeveloped. I was hoping this game would have a strong story, with its characters backing it up (all of them).
It was impossible from the outset, with the number of characters they were putting in. Especially since they decided on 14 MAIN characters. It's not so much that they're underdeveloped, but more like they stick very tightly to their stock character roots (aka Ace/Queen/Trey are the class nerds, Cinque is an airhead, King/Seven/Sice are The Cool Crowd, Nine is a moron, etc.). THANK GOD there isn't any so and so is crushing on so and so (other than the really obvious couple) or my brains would explode.

More than likely, you'll develop a 'favorite character' based on how you like him/her in combat, rather than in story.

Lucis

finished chapter 5 and 6 , I don't care what others say
se has redeemed themselves, the missions are so well made, it really bring story telling to another level.
the only complaint I have now is the emo character named machina

Varion

Keiician said:
I don't care about any of them, honestly. They have 'characters', but they can pretty much be summed up in a sentence each, and some of them (the especially underdeveloped ones like Eight and Seven) don't even need that. I feel like the guy in the intro was a more sympathetic character than most of the characters I'm actually playing at this point. There is just too many of them. I haven't given up hope though, Chapter 4 was an improvement on the character development front for sure, but I still feel like there's going to be some underdeveloped leftovers by the end. Maybe a second playthrough will help with that, but I'm not really sure that's such a great approach. What happened to making the player care about the characters during their first playthrough?

The story is interesting enough and seems to be advancing very quickly (almost too quickly in the past couple of chapters, it's a little disorientating), but the impression the game's been giving me is that it's the polar opposite to FF13 in balance - this game's far more about the gameplay than the cutscenes. And the gameplay's great, so I'm quite content. Not without grumbles, but content.

Lucis

you won't see that much character development. i am half way through chapter 7 and really most of them aren't talked about much. don't even really know what class 0 really is. however i expect class 0 is an entity itself and this isn't about individual characters. you fight as a group, this is unlike other rpgs. if you are doing level appropriate mission, i do not see anyway you can really accomplish the mission without utilizing most of your team. especially not the first time you try to do the mission

also not sure if this is covered or not.
you probably want to play this game in pspgo, there's an easy way to level using it,
basically you can use idle training mode (or whatever it'll be called in english), pspgo has an option to quit game and not really lose the state of the game you are in, you can go back to XMB, change the time in your psp system clock and go back into the game, instantly getting massive exp for only 30 second of work, repeat until max level

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
dragonlife said:
You were hoping for that from a modern SE game?

I'm some 13 hours in and still not done with chapter 3 yet. Just to give an idea of where I stand.

The game is certainly fun. From a gameplay perspective, I'm pretty damn satisfied with what we got here. The music is great and the visuals are excellent.

I like the overall narrative, but as others have said, the main cast has done little for me. I'm hoping that gets resolved in 2nd play through, just because I WANT to know more. It feels like they're having all these interactions throughout the game that I'm not privy to or something. I've been running around as Machina, and at one point a character says (text), that something about him has changed.

I've barely spent time with the guy!

While I don't agree with the idea of saving character development for a second play through, it is incentive to do new game +. Sort of reminds me of Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter in that sense.

And it's still better than getting Reports that deliver crucial character development and story information. That always sucks.

Famassu

Got the LE OST today and... WHAT THE FUCK with Disc 3's songs #18 & #19? I feel like I was just trolled by Ishimoto/Square Enix... >_>; I was expecting the untitled tracks to be something like tracks that they didn't end up using in the game and left untitled or alternative arrangements from some other compositions of the OST. Not what the hell ever I just listened to...

Shamdeo

Famassu said:
Got the LE OST today and... WHAT THE FUCK with Disc 3's songs #18 & #19? I feel like I was just trolled by Ishimoto/Square Enix... >_>; I was expecting the untitled tracks to be something like tracks that they didn't end up using in the game and left untitled or alternative arrangements from some other compositions of the OST. Not what the hell ever I just listened to...

They're in the game during a certain cutscene. ;D

Famassu said:

I'm totally with you. Track 18 got about 30 seconds in before I skipped it and removed it from my playlist. Bleh.

Dunan

RyougaSaotome said:
I'm totally with you. Track 18 got about 30 seconds in before I skipped it and removed it from my playlist. Bleh.

Wait, is Track 18 even 30 seconds long?

And yeah, these really don't belong on the OST. I do appreciate how they're continuing the tradition of offering additional content. I remember the hidden last track on the Uematsu Phantasmagoria album, and then with FF7 Reunion Tracks they had you
rewind the first track to minus three minutes or something like that, and you got an extra song

Netto-kun

Final boss beaten @ 52 hours. I would've finished way faster if I didn't fool around with random grinding, sidequests (find l'Cie stones, get the airship etc), and exploring the world map. Overall, I enjoyed the game. Even though I have complaints such as "one sidequest at a time" and the shaky camera during some battles.

End game stuffs (final dungeon/mission, boss battle, no plot):
I didn't bother with any of the S.O. that popped up during missions. In the final dungeon/mission however, you have to complete the S.O. to progress further. Most of the S.O. are pretty straight forward (only use magic to damage and kill enemies etc). But there was at least one S.O. that had a somewhat vague objective. Soloing through the dungeon seemed to work better than going full party, since there's this one enemy that'll deal "Kill Sight" status when it hits your characters (and the AI is kind of stupid).

Final boss battle felt rather underwhelming since it was halfway scripted. In the first part you can't do much other than watch your characters get killed, in the second part your characters get resurrected (you have to use one character at a time) and won't die unless you've done "Break Sight" and drawn Phantomas out of the boss. Rinse and repeat till you are on your final character, and then spam or hold down normal attack button to do Break and Kill Sight.

Leaving out the end game plot part since it might surprise some people (despite lack of character development and the obvious scene that was spoiled by Square Enix/Dengeki PS).

Varion

Netto-kun said:
Final boss beaten @ 52 hours. I would've finished way faster if I didn't fool around with random grinding, sidequests (find l'Cie stones, get the airship etc)
Getting the airship is a sidequest? I assumed I'd get given it during the main plot.

warpaint

i so would like to play it, i know it will come to the west at some point and my understanding of japanese is no way to the level i would like it to be to play this

dramatis

Varion said:
Getting the airship is a sidequest? I assumed I'd get given it during the main plot.
You can use the airship in the main plot...for a fee.

At least in chapter 5 I'm still paying for trips.

Varion

dramatis said:
You can use the airship in the main plot...for a fee.

At least in chapter 5 I'm still paying for trips.
Oh I know about that one, just before the game came out there was loads of footage of you flying your own airship around blasting enemy ships out the sky and getting gil for it. I have so many chocobos I rarely bother paying for the airship (caught a Dash Chocobo, bred off it and now have about 60 red Sonic Chocobos lying around I can use to speed around).

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
cw_sasuke said:
One Sidequest at a time after Xenoblade ? why.....
Yeah, that, battle exp not going to inactive party members and not being able to directly compare equipment while shopping are my only gripes with the game so far (beginning of 4th chapter). Such weird design choices...

Gvaz

Banned
Keiician said:
Yeah, that, battle exp not going to inactive party members and not being able to directly compare equipment while shopping are my only gripes with the game so far (beginning of 4th chapter). Such weird design choices...
That's typical Final Fantasy design for you.

Flying Wonkey said:
Ack! Bloody thing won't let me save after using some cwcheats.

Confounded game.

What the hell, seriously?

Dunan

Varion said:
Oh I know about that one, just before the game came out there was loads of footage of you flying your own airship around blasting enemy ships out the sky and getting gil for it. I have so many chocobos I rarely bother paying for the airship (caught a Dash Chocobo, bred off it and now have about 60 red Sonic Chocobos lying around I can use to speed around).

Where do you get vegetables/greens to use in breeding? I got three Gysahl Greens as part of the tutorial but haven't yet found another, and I'm in Chapter 3.

My attempts at breeding netting me insane numbers of chocobos (nonuplets!?) so I don't lack for regular birds, but I'd like to try getting more of those military chocobos and whatever comes next.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Gvaz said:
That's typical Final Fantasy design for you.
You were able to compare equipment in one of the Tactics titles afair.
Where do you get vegetables/greens to use in breeding? I got three Gysahl Greens as part of the tutorial but haven't yet found another, and I'm in Chapter 3.
You can buy some in one of the cities. Haven't found other than "the mother/father will have a great effect on the child" yet though.

Dunan

Keiician said:
You can buy some in one of the cities. Haven't found other than "the mother/father will have a great effect on the child" yet though.

Even ordinary Gysahl Greens are better than the "nothing" that I can find in the Peristylium shops!

I'll check out the cities next. I can only visit Makutai, Aquvy, and Corsi so far -- another one that I trekked out to was unenterable because it wasn't part of Suzaku territory.

Lucis

The last mission in the final chapter is kinda... different from all the other missions, it doesn't feel as epic as it should, even it is the
world ending or not
battle ;/

o and good luck doing it if you don't know japanese/with out a guide, it's basically SO after SO that you have to finish to move on

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Dunan said:
Even ordinary Gysahl Greens are better than the "nothing" that I can find in the Peristylium shops!

I'll check out the cities next. I can only visit Makutai, Aquvy, and Corsi so far -- another one that I trekked out to was unenterable because it wasn't part of Suzaku territory.
I think it was the city that got unlocked before the last mission of chapter 3, but I can't recall it's name, sorry. It was probably the most north-west one, I think.

Gvaz

Banned
Flying Wonkey said:
Damn thing pops up a menu that forces you to quit out the game when it detects some cheating.

Too bad its easily bypassed by using cheats on the save screen though.
...they tried to prevent cheating in a single player game....in an rpg of all things? What the fuck sqeenix.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Keiician said:

Guess they will fix thist with an International/Vita/HD Version - at least i hope so.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Gvaz said:
...they tried to prevent cheating in a single player game....in an rpg of all things? What the fuck sqeenix.
Don't forget that there's the multiplayer aspect of the game when you do missions with others. I guess it's like cheating in a Monster Hunter game.

Aeana

Gvaz said:
Gotanda of Tri-Ace is famous for this. Try cheating in Valkyrie Profile 2 and you'll start getting random freezes in chapter 5. It doesn't matter how small the cheat is. Everything will work fine until that point. Star Ocean 3 has similar behavior.

Dunan

warpaint said:
Do you think your able to play it with very limited japanese skill's ?

Depends on whether you're playing for the action or for the story.

The gameplay is basically possible; remember what each of the four buttons do and you can fight your way through. The character names/levels/HP are in English so that part is covered. You'll be able to make progress during the non-battle parts once you master the map icons telling you where you need to go to talk to NPCs and advance the story.

The story, OTOH, is another matter. The Japanese in this game is no cakewalk -- lots of obscure characters and tough vocabulary. I'm impressed with it, particularly after Toriyama mentioned focusing on a younger audience (to the chagrin of veterans) a year or so ago. There are many words -- Japanese words -- in this game that a junior high school kid won't know. If you're a beginner, you'll probably be frustrated.

I'd wait if the story is your thing. I like wandering around the world and fighting the battles, but if I couldn't read what I was seeing, the fun factor would fall off by a lot.

Gvaz

Banned
IMO I can understand not wanting cheating, but regardless of my devout love for rpgs, I do find too many of them have a couple mechanics done poorly that are fixed by having cheats. Sometimes I just CBA to play it normally and just want to tackle combat as a short minigame between story segments.

warpaint

Dunan said:
Depends on whether you're playing for the action or for the story.

The gameplay is basically possible; remember what each of the four buttons do and you can fight your way through. The character names/levels/HP are in English so that part is covered. You'll be able to make progress during the non-battle parts once you master the map icons telling you where you need to go to talk to NPCs and advance the story.

The story, OTOH, is another matter. The Japanese in this game is no cakewalk -- lots of obscure characters and tough vocabulary. I'm impressed with it, particularly after Toriyama mentioned focusing on a younger audience (to the chagrin of veterans) a year or so ago. There are many words -- Japanese words -- in this game that a junior high school kid won't know. If you're a beginner, you'll probably be frustrated.

I'd wait if the story is your thing. I like wandering around the world and fighting the battles, but if I couldn't read what I was seeing, the fun factor would fall off by a lot.
good points
i am going to wait till it come's over to the west, just would like to know to put my mind at rest

Lucis

Finished the game,
the ending is very.... opposite of the entire game leading up to it. felt so anti climatic... arg
hopefully there's more stuff ont he second run.

There are tons of things not explained well

Dunan

Just spotted something in this week's Famitsu:

I'd been putting my PSP to sleep when going to the training grounds, but now I'm wondering if it might be better to let the game run (connected to power and with the screen dimmed, I suppose). There's a
moogle out in front near the fountain, from Class 1, who'll give you items based on how long you've been playing the game.

Ten hours gets you the Avoid spell, and some other milestones up to 70 get you things like a Ribbon and other high-grade items.

So if you've really run up your game clock, there's something in it for you!

Varion

Well, finished the game. And by finished the game I mean finished the first playthrough, I can barely bring myself to call that an ending. So many plot points that just got thrown aside by the end, and the scenes you unlock for beating the game pretty much boiled down to 'PLAY IT AGAIN LOL'.

Oh well, I will. Just going to take a few days off playing it first.

Lucis

on my second play through now... i really don't think this is going to end with this play through, most likely need at least a 3rd

there's no one playing this game? for a game this big, this is a pretty postless import thread

kiryogi

Banned
I imagine a lot of folks are waiting for a domestic version. Personally I've been playing it on and off in bits. Not due to lack of interest, but been more busy with XIV on a daily basis.

I must say that they did improve the camera a ton from the demo though. The lockon is actually very reliable now. I actually have not found myself needing to adjust/claw the dpad for camera. The Phantoma absorb tweaks are fantastic too.

Top Bottom