• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2011 |OT| To Abyssea and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowParry

I don't think the race traits make that big of a difference. Sure with Taru, you get a little more int and mp but it isn't ground breaking to break the race to no melee classes. Pick what race you want and roll with it. :D Most of everything is of course going to be gear reliant.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
How much did they nerf the leveling? When the large GAF group came back to XI 2-3 years ago, it was alot better than when the game was launched, but it sounds even easier now. What happened?

So if I have NO idea what jobs I want to play, Hume is my best bet, right? Or do stats on race really have no impact later on? All the jobs look like they'd be fun to play at one point or another, and I'd hate to pick one race just to find out that I'm gimpy as shit with certain jobs.

Race traits can all be worked around with merits and gear later on.

How much did they nerf the leveling? When the large GAF group came back to XI 2-3 years ago, it was alot better than when the game was launched, but it sounds even easier now. What happened?

Abyssea and Grounds of Valor happened. Also most endgame content now gives experience. So merits and such are not an issue.

Lonestar

Never got to Abyssea (that was an add on, right? Never purchased it, but I think I remember it was around). GoV, I think, existed. The little floating books that gives out missions. They helped then, but my memory doesn't remembering leveling that fast. But that is from a few years ago.

More I read it, the more that damn itch comes back. I think I still have that little passcode device Square sold. Wonder if it works, if I have to use it as my account was tied into it....

Any steam sales on the game+add ons?

Never got to Abyssea (that was an add on, right? Never purchased it, but I think I remember it was around). GoV, I think, existed. The little floating books that gives out missions. They helped then, but my memory doesn't remembering leveling that fast. But that is from a few years ago.

More I read it, the more that damn itch comes back. I think I still have that little passcode device Square sold. Wonder if it works, if I have to use it as my account was tied into it....

Any steam sales on the game+add ons?

The books you're used to are Fields of Valor, Grounds is inside dungeons and works slightly differently. Both books now auto repeat pages, and if you are in grounds, they have increase in bonus every time you complete a page almost like an old school XP chain without a timer.

If your SE account is tied to the token you will have to use it.

Lonestar

The books you're used to are Fields of Valor, Grounds is inside dungeons and works slightly differently. Both books now auto repeat pages, and if you are in grounds, they have increase in bonus every time you complete a page almost like an old school XP chain without a timer.

If your SE account is tied to the token you will have to use it.

Which makes me wonder: what's the battery life on these things, and the replacement possibilities? Cause I got it about as soon as they were available.

Ahh, auto repeat pages is different. We used to have to run back to the book and get another page. There also was a limit on how often you could do pages, like a per hour/per day thing. Can you just go on ad infinitum?

Which makes me wonder: what's the battery life on these things, and the replacement possibilities? Cause I got it about as soon as they were available.

Ahh, auto repeat pages is different. We used to have to run back to the book and get another page. There also was a limit on how often you could do pages, like a per hour/per day thing. Can you just go on ad infinitum?

You get xp every time you finish one, you only get gil and tabs once per game day.
Grounds also gives you temp buffs called "prowess" at random.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
So Online store email the codes to the buyer if they purchased the game?

Edited: I checked the internet stores and I only see that they offered digital download, so I want to make sure that they would email us the codes afterward. Please let me know soon.. Thank in advance.

Apologizing for bump this question. New Page.

Also what servers are most of you on. I am thinking about coming back but need a new home since everyone I know quit FFXI.

Loto

Also what servers are most of you on. I am thinking about coming back but need a new home since everyone I know quit FFXI.

Not sure if this is what you are asking but when I bought the digital abyssea collection off amazon there is a page that has my key codes. I can't remember if they emailed me as well

i got one for SoD yesterday. logged in this morning. empty from 9 to 11 am. where is everyone? any US morning/afternoon players?

NA prime time is in the evening, I wouldnt expect many / any to be around that early unless its the weekend.

Bug seigyoku for a backloggery pearl too.

Sylph

Allard

Here is what has changed since FoV was added to give you an idea why its faster.

1) EXP was doubled across the board. Mobs that used to give 100 EXP give 200 EXP now, Easy prey mobs can give up to 135 EXP now by themselves.

2) FoV (and the new GoV) can be repeated infinitely, the only reward that is once a vanadiel day is the tabs and gil which resets at midnight in game.

3) The pages are constantly renewed now till you choose a new page or leave the area. Meaning no more going to the books (which are now numerous across the zone too!) to get new pages. Just get a party, take a page and kill endlessly and get bonus EXP each time you complete the page.

4) GoV (The dungeon = to FoV) has a bonus EXP system where the more you do a certain page, the EXP bonus goes up, culminating in as much as double the original EXP value.

Basically as long as the mob gives EXP now, the best way to level up is on FoV/GoV pages and just endlessly chaining those lower level targets, even in solo this extremely efficient but in those Gusgen mines/Crawlers nest parties it gets really efficient. Furthermore when you get to Abyssea you can get 100-200k EXP an hour in full alliance parties, in fact all the changes to EXP calculations (double EXP, changes to the pages, GoV) were added to counter the absurd EXP you could get in abyssea from lvl 30+. They tripled Campaign and Besieged EXP too on top of this so even if you 'don't want to do abyssea at the higher levels you have campaign to help bridge some gaps solo. Not as efficient but it still beats the crap out of your previous EXP/Hour unless you were in a really efficient lvl 75 merit party.

Lonestar

Here is what has changed since FoV was added to give you an idea why its faster.

1) EXP was doubled across the board. Mobs that used to give 100 EXP give 200 EXP now, Easy prey mobs can give up to 135 EXP now by themselves.

2) FoV (and the new GoV) can be repeated infinitely, the only reward that is once a vanadiel day is the tabs and gil which resets at midnight in game.

3) The pages are constantly renewed now till you choose a new page or leave the area. Meaning no more going to the books (which are now numerous across the zone too!) to get new pages. Just get a party, take a page and kill endlessly and get bonus EXP each time you complete the page.

4) GoV (The dungeon = to FoV) has a bonus EXP system where the more you do a certain page, the EXP bonus goes up, culminating in as much as double the original EXP value.

Basically as long as the mob gives EXP now, the best way to level up is on FoV/GoV pages and just endlessly chaining those lower level targets, even in solo this extremely efficient but in those Gusgen mines/Crawlers nest parties it gets really efficient. Furthermore when you get to Abyssea you can get 100-200k EXP an hour in full alliance parties, in fact all the changes to EXP calculations (double EXP, changes to the pages, GoV) were added to counter the absurd EXP you could get in abyssea from lvl 30+. They tripled Campaign and Besieged EXP too on top of this so even if you 'don't want to do abyssea at the higher levels you have campaign to help bridge some gaps solo. Not as efficient but it still beats the crap out of your previous EXP/Hour unless you were in a really efficient lvl 75 merit party.

Sweet Jebus...

My memories of taking days to get to level 30 (post Quifim) just exploded.

Bug seigyoku for a backloggery pearl too.

can/will do.
also im level 11 now....where should i run to for parties? or am i looking at solo'ing everything? i think thats why i left last time, no one to hang with.
just saw that i should do GoV's in Gusgen Mines. i dont know what/where that is!! research time.

B-Dex

Pics from yesterdays adventures!

Heading off to Konschtat and Gusgen Mines:
iImgFmMpuRito.jpg

Fighting skeletons and ghouls:
iXErUyOkIAsXN.jpg

i8CR8lDGFe9Q0.jpg

Off to the dunes:
ixpAXh3Q5bPIm.jpg

Welcome to Valkurm:
iol7PeDnoIxHA.jpg

Getting Support Job quest items:
ibzGJxXjWXWUss.jpg

iEfPtMJKYrgEU.jpg

Stopping to smell the flowers:
ioDskSAkckidz.jpg

Wise Isacio:
i24wlqHnBOw8p.jpg

What adventures await:
ij0wbPBP6DKhd.jpg

BONUS Mingling with the fishmongers:
i19vMZw8AorUI.jpg

I haven't spoken up in here yet but I just restarted again last night. Sylph server, character name Ghalyon, Bastok home city. Got to level 15 in just a couple hours, it's amazing. I still feel like I've "earned" my progress luckily because there is still the need to farm or do other time consuming things for gil to buy equipment. And with the removal of level caps on the story missions, this is finally the game I always wanted it to be. Sucks that there's still the limit break missions to deal with, but I hope to come up with a way to solo them when the time comes. My ability to play for any particular day or length is unpredictable with a wife and baby at home so the changes they've made totally suit my needs. I'd ask for a pearl to GAF or Backloggery but I don't know how often I'd be able to help people out and I don't want to seem like one of those players that gets help doing something and then disappears for a little while.

can/will do.
also im level 11 now....where should i run to for parties? or am i looking at solo'ing everything? i think thats why i left last time, no one to hang with.
just saw that i should do GoV's in Gusgen Mines. i dont know what/where that is!! research time.

Soloing is definitely viable if you can't get a party. You don't have to limit yourself to Gusgen. Check this out for Grounds of Valor locations and level recommendations: link. I love the social aspect of parties but I'm glad they aren't my only option.

ZetaEpyon

I'd ask for a pearl to GAF or Backloggery but I don't know how often I'd be able to help people out and I don't want to seem like one of those players that gets help doing something and then disappears for a little while.

I wouldn't worry too much about this; if nothing else, it's just nice to have other people to chat with while you're playing. Send one of us a tell sometime, and we'll get you hooked up.

Sophia

So after you got lvl 10, when did you run to to level up. Also have you been doing any of the city quests?

Went to the Gusgen Mines, got invited to an Alliance almost instantly, stayed there for two hours and hit level 22. And No, I haven't done any of the city quests yet. I did do the Mog House exit quest for Bastok however.

LowParry

Went to the Gusgen Mines, got invited to an Alliance almost instantly, stayed there for two hours and hit level 22. And No, I haven't done any of the city quests yet. I did do the Mog House exit quest for Bastok however.

Man, I should probably do that though I'm in this cave area where it's the second squire quest. I may need some help on that.

And yes, get a backloggery pearl too while you're at it :)

Edit: Actually, is there other area's around Sandy that are similiar with the Gusgen mines?

Sophia

What's a backloggery pearl, for the noob like me who doesn't know?

Edit: Actually, is there other area's around Sandy that are similiar with the Gusgen mines?

I have no idea. The Gusgen Mines has ghouls in it, which make it easy to get the quest item for the Subjob quest in Selbina.

What's a backloggery pearl, for the noob like me who doesn't know?

I have no idea. The Gusgen Mines has ghouls in it, which make it easy to get the quest item for the Subjob quest in Selbina.

A pearl for the backloggery linkshell, as opposed to a pearl for the stars of destiny linkshell.

Shouta doesnt like using other lses so i'm half teasing him, but I'm actively trying to get all you new folks in both and don't want him to be left behind either. It's nice to have options.

Sophia

A pearl for the backloggery linkshell, as opposed to a pearl for the stars of destiny linkshell.

Shouta doesnt like using other lses so i'm half teasing him, but I'm actively trying to get all you new folks in both and don't want him to be left behind either. It's nice to have options.

Well I'll take one then if you can catch me on (Sophira) which I am now. =P

B.K.

There's King Ranperre's Tomb in East Ronfaure. You can go to it, but don't go in very far. It probably won't have many people though. Gusgen is the popular place for GoVs at level 10.

Shouta: Pet jobs rock the new limit break, and if that doesn't work out, I can call in favors with an aegis pld in my other LS. He and I beat it on hard mode the day it came out with a balanced group of 6.

ZetaEpyon

Does the limit break count for everyone who needs it, or does it have to be repeated?

Because I'll need to get that knocked out, too.

Getting people to do it is the first issue though. Strategy can come after people are gathered.

If you have the weakening item it terrorizes him now. Iftrit's enfire + a monk 2hr and a couple enfeebling items to make sure you do the deed is another viable strat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom