• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

kyo_daikun said:
Can I go back there later to get it or am I stuffed?
While I can't be sure (I just played that part myself not too long ago), considering the general layout of the game I'd consider it incredibly unlikely that you get to revisit that area. But I think it was just an Aqua Ring, and I already have 2 of those.

Empty

Graphical representations of RPG damage systems tickle my nerd areas quite something, awesome job Durante, that's pretty much the curve i've experienced too.

Durante said:
While I can't be sure (I just played that part myself not too long ago), considering the general layout of the game I'd consider it incredibly unlikely that you get to revisit that area. But I think it was just an Aqua Ring, and I already have 2 of those.

Ah thats fine then, as long as it was nothing important I won't lose sleep over it.

Durante said:
Based on my observation, it's like this:
The slower the decrease already is, the less effect additional commando hits will have (logarithmic decay probably). I'm less sure on whether the speed increases linearly or nonlinearly (with the distance from the top speed) though.

It doesn't work that way. There's only one speed buff a com/sab can apply to the decline rate. More than one hit won't make it slow down any further.

If you are serious about the games mechanics see this guide here, which is taken directly from the Ultimania guide.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/file/928790/59246

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Really liking the music, it lacks the sweeping grandiosness of other FF games (especially 12's Sakimoto soundtrack), but it's nice and catchy. The songs also go on for a long time without repeating, which is nice in these long-ass dungeons. The music when you are
riding on the mech, and the song for the junk processing plant
in Ch 4 are awesome!

And oh man, the fight with
Odin
was hard, took me many tries.

Durante

mjemirzian said:
It doesn't work that way. There's only one speed buff a com/sab can apply to the decline rate. More than one hit won't make it slow down any further.

If you are serious about the games mechanics see this guide here, which is taken directly from the Ultimania guide.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/file/928790/59246
I am very serious about game mechanics, so I clicked that link, but in the "Chain & Break" section it only says "Coming Soon". Did you paste the wrong link?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I got lucky with that platform with 2 treasures but yeah, I don't remember them having anything particularly useful.

Dynamic3 said:
Edit: I was just googling wikis for upgrades and I glanced at a huge spoiler for one of the characters, so pissed.
Damn, I hate this. I remember searching for some Bioshock info months ago and a jerk screamed the biggest spoiler in the game in a comments section.

DMeisterJ said:
Sooooo tired of two person teams.

Soooo tired...
Same. I don't even care about who's in the party or who's the leader, I just want to manage 3 characters.

Fuu said:
I got lucky with that platform with 2 treasures but yeah, I don't remember them having anything particularly useful.

Yeah its my own fault for just being lazy, I saw them instantly I just wanted to push on with the story and the enemies in that area were pretty annoying so I had lost patience really.

Teknoman

Ricker said:
I`m guessing it`s useful for the weakness of the ennemies...I started hitting R1 more last evening to see the weakness,so if I saw Water as the weakness,I manually selected Water 3 times,instead of the auto that did,for example,Aero,water,spark...maybe this will help in specific fights...

Go full on ravager after getting the enemy in stagger if its only weak against magic elemental attacks then?

Hazimov

The frame-rate is shitty as [...] in the City of Dreams :| (360 version)

Although I'm enjoying it, I'm quite disappointed by the game's linearity and simplicity.

I guess this slide from Lion Head Studio's Fable 3 presentation in GDC2010 summarizes what path the RPG genre will eventually follow :( :( *sadface* *sadface* :(

gdc-fable3-5illion.jpg

Synless

Quick question. When you beat the game does it allow you to go back and do all the hunts you didn't get to earlier in the game?

Durante

Hazimov said:
I guess this slide from Lion Head Studio's Fable 3 presentation in GDC2010 summarizes what path the RPG genre will eventually follow :(
The funny thing is that FF13 is actually harder (IMHO) than any PS era FF before it. I wonder if that will turn out to be a bigger mainstream problem than the often cited linearity. I guess the retry feature does mitigate it somewhat.

Zoe

Durante said:
The funny thing is that FF13 is actually harder (IMHO) than any PS era FF before it. I wonder if that will turn out to be a bigger mainstream problem than the often cited linearity. I guess the retry feature does mitigate it somewhat.

That's what I've been saying even though some of the other importers scoff at that.

Hazimov said:
The frame-rate is shitty as [...] in the City of Dreams :| (360 version)

Although I'm enjoying it, I'm quite disappointed by the game's linearity and simplicity.

I guess this slide from Lion Head Studio's Fable 3 presentation in GDC2010 summarizes what path the RPG genre will eventually follow :( :( *sadface* *sadface* :(

hmm I don't agree with calling RPGs 'for core gamers'.. the traditional RPG genre is highly casual. There's no scoring system in all but one or two games. Almost every challenge can be overcome by mindless grinding. The lack of skill differentiation and ability for anyone with enough patience to complete an RPG makes the genre accessible to a huge casual audience.

Compare that to genres like Cave shmups, fighting games, action games, FPS, etc. all of which are much more competitive, and skill oriented, requiring hardcore hours of practice for years or more to master. This tends to keep casual players far away.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
I honestly didn't find the game all that hard. I can see why some would say that though considering you may have to shift a lot.

Durante

Emenis said:
I honestly didn't find the game all that hard. I can see why some would say that though considering you may have to shift a lot.
It's not hard on an absolute scale, but I don't think you can argue that it isn't hard on the Final Fantasy scale.

LiK

Emenis said:
Same, I customized all my Paradigms and constantly shift during battle. It's been a cakewalk so far. Still looking for that killer boss that ppl here said raped them.

Teknoman

Zoe said:
That's what I've been saying even though some of the other importers scoff at that.

Im with you there, i've come close to dying even in normal fights. You cant just X/A bash through most fights unless you're 100% certain you can win. I wouldnt say hard...just challenging. Its nothing you cant get by, just have to keep track of everything.

Tamanon

Banned
I don't think it's necessarily hard, but it's the first battle system where you actually have to pay attention in a long while. Especially if you zone out a bit, you're going to die.

LiK said:
Same, I customized all my Paradigms and constantly shift during battle. It's been a cakewalk so far. Still looking for that killer boss that ppl here said raped them.

Yeah not had too many problems so far, I thought the chapter 6 boss was going to spank me but breezed through it.

I would say FF12 has been the hardest FF of the playstation titles (never really understood all the gambits and stuff)

LiK said:
The first one that did that to me was Odin. It drove my brother to the brink of insanity too until I told him to make some custom paradigms and switch between them like crazy.

polyh3dron said:
The first one that did that to me was Odin. It drove my brother to the brink of insanity too until I told him to make some custom paradigms and switch between them like crazy.

My initial thought was that the game would automatically create the most necessary paradigms, but it really doesn't.

kyo_daikun said:
I would say FF12 has been the hardest FF of the playstation titles (never really understood all the gambits and stuff)
If you play 12 normally without grinding and just ran through the main storyline (with only a few hunts), it is a pretty brutal game. Some enemies and bosses midway will destroy you.

mjemirzian said:
hmm I don't agree with calling RPGs 'for core gamers'.. the traditional RPG genre is highly casual. There's no scoring system in all but one or two games. Almost every challenge can be overcome by mindless grinding. The lack of skill differentiation and ability for anyone with enough patience to complete an RPG makes the genre accessible to a huge casual audience.

You must be kidding. WoW is the same, to be successful you just grind in raid for equipment. I played it for 5 years, you have no idea how casuals whine about not getting epics for nothing. It's not about skill, Molyneux (who is an idiot btw) is saying that playing games is hard for casuals, better to just give them 1-button pad to skip to the end.

Yes, FFXIII is one of the harder ones, ffs I'm in Chapter 12 and some enemies are insane.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
LiK said:

which chapter are you on?

LiK

polyh3dron said:
I see, no prob here with him. Got him first try with 5 stars. The next 3 or so bosses that I fought were not hard either. I await getting my ass spanked soon.

neojubei said:
which chapter are you on?

already told you, i'm at
Palumpolum
now.

theMrCravens said:
If you play 12 normally without grinding and just ran through the main storyline (with only a few hunts), it is a pretty brutal game. Some enemies and bosses midway will destroy you.

Pretty much what happened to me, I tried to grind but it just wasn't happening.

I asked a few pages back but didn't see an answer, is the game limited to 1 eidolon per character or are their secret ones you can unlock through side quests?

Hyunkel6

There's this enemy
("falcon motobike" I think)
in chapter 7 that's raping my party with "gatling gun". I know I can easily sneak by it, but I defeated every enemy until now. Any tips?

Tamanon

Banned
Hyunkel6 said:
There's this enemy
in chapter 7 that's raping my party with "gatling gun". I know I can easily sneak by it, but I defeated every enemy until now. Any tips?

I don't think you're supposed to be able to defeat it....
the first time

Durante

Hyunkel6 said:
There's this enemy

Durante said:
So, the first
Falco Velocycle
you encounter in Chapter 7, when you have just
Lightning and Hope
, I assume it's intended to be skipped? I needed 3 tries to barely defeat it (with 5 stars though), and it's just a normal enemy :lol

I managed to beat it by staggering it before it gets to use the gatling gun skill.

jjasper said:
People have trouble with
Odin?

Yeah, trick is to switch constantly between healing with lightning and keeping a big chain score going on odin, so use commando then change lightning to a medic while Hope is still hitting him then change back, rinse and repeat and hope you get the bar up.

I cant beleive people gave up on the game because of that one fight, I did it on the fourth go or something and it was pretty fun...

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Hyunkel6 said:
There's this enemy
I was able to kill those things simply by killing them as fast as possible and hoping gatling gun doesn't go off. I had put basically all of my resources into lightning's sword at that point so maybe that is why I was able to do it.

I don't think that attack is survivable at that point. Only Sentinals can survive gatling gun.

Durante

Castor Krieg said:
It is easy, use Sentinel when he is about to launch the attack. That enemy is there to teach you how to use a Sentinel
This is before you get Sentinel, with just Lightning and Hope in the party.

slayn said:
I was able to kill those things simply by killing them as fast as possible and hoping gatling gun doesn't go off. I had put basically all of my resources into lightning's sword at that point so maybe that is why I was able to do it.

I don't think that attack is survivable at that point. Only Sentinals can survive gatling gun.

Its not survivable but it only hits one character so just be ready with a phoenix down when he does it (gives plenty of warning) and just revive and carry on pummeling it.

Sarye

Tamanon said:
I don't think you're supposed to be able to defeat it....
the first time

I took it down pretty easily. I used COM/SYN first until I have protect on for both characters then switched to COM/RAV and then work on building up the stagger bar, switching to COM/MED to heal. Once staggered, it'll go down.

Zoe

kyo_daikun said:
I asked a few pages back but didn't see an answer, is the game limited to 1 eidolon per character or are their secret ones you can unlock through side quests?

Just the one.

Einbroch

Banned
SuperSonic1305 said:
It's really annoying that characters can only use weapons in Commando role. It looks so stupid to have them holding weapons that they never use.
Eh, MMOs and any RPG with casters do this.

Why would you attack with a stick when you can make things go boom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom