• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

SuperSonic1305 said:
It's really annoying that characters can only use weapons in Commando role. It looks so stupid to have them holding weapons that they never use.
Actually they do use their weapons in Ravager role, if they perform strike attacks and not spells.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
kyo_daikun said:
Pretty much what happened to me, I tried to grind but it just wasn't happening.

I asked a few pages back but didn't see an answer, is the game limited to 1 eidolon per character or are their secret ones you can unlock through side quests?

You tried to grind? Which chapter? I posted some good cp/gil farming spots for ch11 a few pages ago.

Durante said:
Actually they do use their weapons in Ravager role, if they perform strike attacks and not spells.

I was going to say im sure ive seen lightning hitting with aqua strike and all those kinds of moves.

Edit: Sorry the grinding comment was for FF12, was discussing how rubbish I was at it lol.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
mjemirzian said:
hmm I don't agree with calling RPGs 'for core gamers'.. the traditional RPG genre is highly casual. There's no scoring system in all but one or two games. Almost every challenge can be overcome by mindless grinding. The lack of skill differentiation and ability for anyone with enough patience to complete an RPG makes the genre accessible to a huge casual audience.

Compare that to genres like Cave shmups, fighting games, action games, FPS, etc. all of which are much more competitive, and skill oriented, requiring hardcore hours of practice for years or more to master. This tends to keep casual players far away.

your logic is good, but it's not very true in reality. it's not difficulty/skill that keeps casual players away it's "pick it up" ability. FPS / action games are popular because you can just pick them up and the competitive nature runs through everyone, even less-than-core gamers.

i think RPGs often keep casual people away because they are long winded and take time to build up.

jjasper

Jeels said:
apaprently thats when a lot of people stopped playing, i beat him on my second try...but it was fun as heck
Do people just not use Synergists? From one attack from Odin it was clear he dealt a lot of damage and that you were going to need to protect yourself.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
kyo_daikun said:
Its not survivable but it only hits one character so just be ready with a phoenix down when he does it (gives plenty of warning) and just revive and carry on pummeling it.
for me, gatling gun was always targeted at my lead character which is instant game over. Maybe I was just unlucky.

Zoe

Durante said:

Yep, only Hope and Vanille don't actually use their weapons.

(though they do use them for pre-emptive strikes)

jjasper said:
Do people just not use Synergists? From one attack from Odin it was clear he dealt a lot of damage and that you were going to need to protect yourself.

They obviously didnt bother to libra him either and see the fact it says the bar fills up if you heal injured people.

slayn said:
for me, gatling gun was always targeted at my lead character which is instant game over. Maybe I was just unlucky.

Unlucky I think, it always 99% went for hope on my game oddly.

Sarye

slayn said:

maybe use the accessory that resists physical attack so that it's not a one shot kill?

LiK

kyo_daikun said:
I was going to say im sure ive seen lightning hitting with aqua strike and all those kinds of moves.

Edit: Sorry the grinding comment was for FF12, was discussing how rubbish I was at it lol.

FF12 was indeed hard. esp since the dungeons you first enter have high lvl enemies but if you return to them, suddenly all the enemies are manageable. and if you tried entering an area that you're not supposed to go to you'll get raped.

and it's actually harder if you wanna lvl up everyone equally. some people only lvled up 3 guys and that's all you needed.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
GriffD17 said:
Sorry for the back two page quote, but just reading the responses from overnight. Cannot agree more with this. For the amount of time I've put into the game it's hard to believe I'm playing a Final Fantasy game. It just doesn't feel quite right. I'll still keep playing it, but with the amount of development time I expected something more.

It begins.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Sarye said:
maybe use the accessory that resists physical attack so that it's not a one shot kill?
I'm long passed that point but I'm pretty sure I even had lightning with physical wall 10. The gatling gun took a long time to kill her from full life, but it would do it.

I wonder if there is some kind of agro system. My lightning way way, waaaaay more powerful than my hope because she was the only one I upgraded equipment for which caused that enemy to target the higher threat target? I dunno. But that battle was always a 50/50 crap shoot for me of 'do I kill it before it uses gatling'

ithorien

Not sure if this is first page worthy, but like some of you, I dislike the US cover a lot.

I decided to put my entry level Illustrator knowledge to good use, and recreated the US cover with the awesome character artwork that's been used on some other region's.

There are only a couple of things that bother me with this redo. I don't have a good transparent version of the logo, so I had to use my Photoshop skills (or lack thereof) to remove the background. Fonts are the other thing that bother me. I couldn't find exact fonts for the write-up on the back, and I found a font close to the spine font but not exact either.

The icons aren't perfect, but I redid them from scratch so cut me some slack :p

If you're interested in grabbing this and printing it (mine came out very well, color laser) grab it here.

Hope you guys enjoy!

PS3-FFXIII-redo.jpg

All rights and credit for the original go of course to Square Enix and parties.

ElFly

jjasper said:

Yeah, but most of the time I find more effective to go into battle with a shroud.

Kagari said:
I'm trying to replay through some of the game now, it's really hard to do so early on :(

Pretty sure I left apart a savegame from Chapter 3 just for this.

Durante

ithorien said:
Not sure if this is first page worthy, but like some of you, I dislike the US cover a lot.

I decided to put my entry level Illustrator knowledge to good use, and recreated the US cover with the awesome character artwork that's been used on some other region's.
[...]
This looks great, but it also needs some artwork for the inner part!

ithorien

Durante said:

:O Didn't think of that! Probably because I don't have any good paper at work here, so printing double sided would just ruin it :(

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Durante said:

keep both covers in the box, you'll still have the original inner art as well as the new custom outer art

squall211

I'm in chapter 5 and the game is really growing on me now. It's a pity the beginning is so brutally boring. I'd say the first few hours of FFXIII are the most boring in terms of gameplay of possibly any FF game ever.

I'm fully addicted to the battle system now, and the only improvement I would have liked to have seen made to it (maybe in the International version), is the ability to switch to another character during battle.

any tips on how to beat
kaiser behemoth
? i can't stagger it, all the magics aren't doing good enough for it to be staggered .... :/

edit: nvm, finally beat the fucker >_>

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
ithorien said:

There are only a couple of things that bother me with this redo. I don't have a good transparent version of the logo, so I had to use my Photoshop skills (or lack thereof) to remove the background. Fonts are the other thing that bother me. I couldn't find exact fonts for the write-up on the back, and I found a font close to the spine font but not exact either.

The icons aren't perfect, but I redid them from scratch so cut me some slack :p

If you're interested in grabbing this and printing it (mine came out very well, color laser) grab it here.

Hope you guys enjoy!

PS3-FFXIII-redo.jpg

All rights and credit for the original go of course to Square Enix and parties.

When I saw that picture in the mini stradegy guide I knew I wanted it for the cover, I just can't think why SE does all this awesome art and never use it in important places like the game Covers. =/

Anyways, thanks!

Im 14 hrs in, love it so far, Im still not sure how to go about upgrading weapons, dismantling and selling. How are you going about this?

Seda said:
Because party set ups are so strict for than first 9 chapters, you can't do anything differently than the first time around. With other games, (except FFIX, many of the party set-ups there were also dictated) you can change you party focuses and characters you use quite early.

There's basically zero flexibility, your second play through is going to be pretty much an exact copy of your first, at least upto the 7 chapter where im at (im guessing it goes on for longer)

Pooya

APZonerunner said:
Interesting, though. Are they throwing out Crystal Tools?
in the recent gameinformer interview, Kitase again reconfirmed that they actually made separate engines for each platform. from what he said it looks like Crystal Tools is only a set of middleware not a real engine like UE3.

LiK

kyo_daikun said:
There's basically zero flexibility, your second play through is going to be pretty much an exact copy of your first, at least upto the 7 chapter where im at (im guessing it goes on for longer)

boggles the mind that they didn't include a New Game+ mode.

dreamer3kx said:
Im 14 hrs in, love it so far, Im still not sure how to go about upgrading weapons, dismantling and selling. How are you going about this?
I'm on chapter 11 and I still haven't bought, sold, or upgraded a single item. Unless the difficulty ramps up considerably, I'll probably continue to use my level 1 equipment.
LiK said:
Really? That's sad news. I'd love a NG+ mode with all character roles unlocked from the start and the ability to choose my own party.

ElFly

I have a question about the japanese version, but I am afraid of spoiling myself by googling/wikipediaing it.

What are the japanese names for Fal'Cie, L'Cie and Cie'th? Pandora and Cocoon? Palumpolum?

At least I find the Cie names pretty terrible and unpractical, and I was wondering if the japanese ones are the same, or if they have the same one sillable differences between all three.

pix

Just picked up this game on lunch today. Can't wait to give it a spin when I get home from work. Any tips or recommendations you can give to a new player to maybe avoid some mistakes early on?

LiK

archnemesis said:
Really? That's sad news. I'd love a NG+ mode with all character roles unlocked from the start and the ability to choose my own party.

yea...

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...lks-final-fantasy-xiii-submit-your-questions/

Will there be any New Game content in Final Fantasy XIII?

When you finish the main quest there are some growth elements of the the characters which will unlock once you’ve defeated the last boss. After this is done, you’ll be easily able to return to Pulse and take part in the many missions available there. There is no way to start the game again with your current character stats, however

TheFreshPrince

When do CP start becoming rare/valuable?

I'm in Chapter 4 and I feel like I have so much CP I can basically fill out the entire Crystarium mindlessly.

LiK said:

It really really does, it did wonders for Demon souls and I wish they had picked up on it :(

TheFreshPrince said:

I'm in Chapter 4 and I feel like I have so much CP I can basically fill out the entire Crystarium mindlessly.

Im on chapter 7 and it seems that as long as you kill every enemy in the level you will have enough CP to fill out your characters grids nearly every time, grinding is pointless upto here so far but im assuming later on you need to do it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Guys, if enemies are doing ridiculous damage to you and killing you, USE A SENTINEL. Provoke and then go into heal guard.

TheFreshPrince said:

That will change very very soon.

lljride

archnemesis said:
I'm on chapter 11 and I still haven't bought, sold, or upgraded a single item. Unless the difficulty ramps up considerably, I'll probably continue to use my level 1 equipment.

That's good to know. I'm still early but I wanted to wait as long as possible to upgrade anything just to make sure I don't make any mistakes. I wasn't sure if the difficulty would allow that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom