• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ElFly said:
I have a question about the japanese version, but I am afraid of spoiling myself by googling/wikipediaing it.

What are the japanese names for Fal'Cie, L'Cie and Cie'th? Pandora and Cocoon? Palumpolum?

At least I find the Cie names pretty terrible and unpractical, and I was wondering if the japanese ones are the same, or if they have the same one sillable differences between all three.

All the names are the same in Japanese. ファルシ, コクーン, ルーシ, etc.

So, I've heard that Nomura has a big ego.

I noticed that on the title screen, along with the company copyrights, Nomura is specifically listed as character designer. For no real reason. His name is already in the opening credit reel. Probably in the end one. Looking back, I note that no other Final Fantasy game lists any other staffers on the title screen, just the copyright stuff.

Normally, I wouldn't really care, and even now I really don't, but it just seems like confirmation of Nomura thinking hes more important than he really is.

dramatis

miladesn said:
in the recent gameinformer interview, Kitase again reconfirmed that they actually made separate engines for each platform. from what he said it looks like Crystal Tools is only a set of middleware not a real engine like UE3.

They actually call Crystal Tools 'middleware' (in a mag called CG World, they had a development article), though I'm not sure if 'middleware' is what they call engines in Japanese.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Kagari said:
I've been skipping some of them. Game just isn't as fun to replay as some of the previous titles.

Same here. Having all the combat options slowly unlocked is brutal after having a beefy party in the JP verison.

Indrew

Neo Member
Those gatling gun dudes go down quickly to
Odin, they are weak against thunder
. A non-sentinel can't survive that move.

Kagari said:
It actually sounds like an engine for next gen IE, PS4, etc.

I thought that too, but the posting actually talks a bit about Xbox 360 and PS3 and how they've changed the face of game development blah blah and so on. Wonder what it is.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Indrew said:
Those gatling gun dudes go down quickly to
Odin, they are weak against thunder
. A non-sentinel can't survive that move.

The first time you deal with them, you have Snow. The second time, you have Fang. When are you facing them without a Sentinel?

I know I've said it before and many other have but I gotta say it again.

This game is GODDAMN beautiful!

I'm on a bit now (forget the name) with Vanille and Sazh and the views are spectacular. I think it's the lighting/sky that makes the game just a feast for the eyes. I'm stopping all the time to get a great view of the surroundings. Just amazing.

I doubt I'll be able to cope when GoWIII hits :O

LiK

Katana_Strikes said:

I'm on a bit now (forget the name) with Vanille and Sazh and the views are spectacular. I think it's the lighting/sky that makes the game just a feast for the eyes. I'm stopping all the time to get a great view of the surroundings. Just amazing.

the music, i love the music.

thetrin

Katana_Strikes said:

GoW3 is going to be such a change of pace, visually :lol

Phatcorns

Wow, Serah's voice is great! Not a helpless little girl voice at all like I expected them to do.

And the music that they have in the English
proposal scene between Snow and Serah
is different and also really good. I think it fits even better actually since
it uses the main theme of the game instead of a nice random J-pop song.

gkryhewy

Katana_Strikes said:

Agreed; the night sky is jaw dropping. The color choices are subtle, but masterful.

Indrew

Neo Member
thetrin said:
The first time you deal with them, you have Snow. The second time, you have Fang. When are you facing them without a Sentinel?

Lightning and Hope near the beginning of chapter 7. That's as far as I've gotten though. It caught me from behind. I guess you only face him once though with those guys, so my advice isn't very helpful.

Hyunkel6

thetrin said:
The first time is in chapter 7 with only
Lightning and Hope

Edit:beaten.

LiK said:
the music, i love the music.

Agree, the music is awesome, chapter 6 is great with the song the whole way through.

LiK said:
i have Yakuza 3 and GoW3 after this. PS3, it only does 180s

Y3 arrived yesterday, i've left it in the packaging so I can carry on with this rather than split my time.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
GriffD17 said:
Sorry. I'm not trying to stir things up. It's been mentioned before and all, just thought I'd share my feelings and wondered if anyone else had the same.

You're perfectly fine.

Durante

Katana_Strikes said:

Yeah, I always knew the game was going to be amazing artistically, but it's also extremely competent technically. They have a very nice HDR/tone mapping implementation that makes for some spectecular lighting.

LiK

kyo_daikun said:
Agree, the music is awesome, chapter 6 is great with the song the whole way through.

Y3 arrived yesterday, i've left it in the packaging so I can carry on with this rather than split my time.
Same, taking breaks from a RPG messes me up cuz I may not remember the mechanics. And if I mix up my playthrus with different RPGs, that would kill me :lol

Alex

GriffD17 said:
Sorry. I'm not trying to stir things up. It's been mentioned before and all, just thought I'd share my feelings and wondered if anyone else had the same.

It stopped feeling like "Final Fantasy" a long, long time ago because its a completely different series with a completely different staff now. But compared to VII, VIII, X, X-2? No, I feel its exactly the evolution of what they wanted out of those with a little corner cutting due to the obvious fact that they spent 4 years on artwork and graphics.

But out of the Nomura/Kitase games, I think XIII is easily the best. I like the combat and subsystems, I like the pacing, and I even kind of like the story and characters. I'm extremely surprised at how much I'm enjoying the game overall for how much I typically loathed the games from this team, barring X-2, which also played extremely well.

I hope this concept is just expanded upon with some breaks, sight seeing and other distractions rather than scrapped for something else, AGAIN. The next time this specific team makes another game I wouldn't mind another battle rollercoaster, just a little more fleshed.

But I must say, that song in the forest chapter with Vanille and Sazh, yeah that song fucking sucked. It was worse than the shit back from Sonic R. You people are nuts.

Final Fantasy Fans Boo The Xbox 360 At Final Fantasy XIII Launch Party

More like creepy, jobless vagrants wearing too much hair gel boo video game console. Actual Final Fantasy fans are too old to be doing that shit.

I think it was on C6 when I walked past a waterfall and I'm sure Sazh said something like "where's a camera when you need it?". I was like, "yeah SE where the hell's my camera!!!!" I want to take sexy pics!

ithorien

FreedomFrisbee said:
So, I've heard that Nomura has a big ego.

I noticed that on the title screen, along with the company copyrights, Nomura is specifically listed as character designer. For no real reason. His name is already in the opening credit reel. Probably in the end one. Looking back, I note that no other Final Fantasy game lists any other staffers on the title screen, just the copyright stuff.

Normally, I wouldn't really care, and even now I really don't, but it just seems like confirmation of Nomura thinking hes more important than he really is.

His name is also exclusively on the back cover of the game, next to all regular copyrights.

Durante

Katana_Strikes said:
I think it was on C6 when I walked past a waterfall and I'm sure Sazh said something like "where's a camera when you need it?". I was like, "yeah SE where the hell's my camera!!!!" I want to take sexy pics!
Yeah, they spent so long on the game they really could have included a high-res screenshot feature. I'd have so many background images to choose from!

dramatis

GriffD17 said:

She's not accusing you of anything, just noting that the honeymoon is now over. Happened in the import thread too.

I've once described this game as starting out a 7/10 game, then it climbs to a 9/10 but plummets to a 5/10, and then crawls back up to 7/10. I think it's pretty accurate, with the two in the middle being interchangeable.

Zoe

Katana_Strikes said:

After they described cameras in Hope's prologue chapter, I really thought that meant they would have it in the game :(

The game needs screenshot feature, as well as movie theater. I was stupid, most of the time I play my RPGs with one save slot. I should've been making new save slot every time, this way I would've been able to quickly access all the awesome FMVs.

LiK

Castor Krieg said:
The game needs screenshot feature, as well as movie theater.
It's funny that they let you save before every maJor CGI cutscene. I guess that's better than no other way to rewatch them.

Btw, the surround effects are quite impressive later on

LiK said:
It's funny that they let you save before every maJor CGI cutscene. I guess that's better than no other way to rewatch them.

Btw, the surround effects are quite impressive later on

I'm glad im not the only one who noticed. i have 2 speakers set up and it sounds phenomenal, lol.

Chamber said:
Any tips for the Chapter 6 boss? I'm getting my balls busted here.

Make sure you libra them as they have elemental weaknesses. I had lightning attacking then when either her's or hopes HP went too low made light a medic and healed them up while hope kept blasting with elemental attacks then switch back, use esuna to remove the defence status effect the keep putting on your characters as well.

RPGCrazied

22hours in, chapter 11..

damn, finally in pulse! I did 3 of the hunts so far. The only thing I don't like about the game is the upgrade system. Do you ever find any weapons with an increased lvl? I mean, Lightning has a lvl 14gladius, and saszh has a lvl 9 pistol. . everyone is lvl one. ;/

Durante

Labombadog said:
I also wish they had a screenshot feature. This game is BEAUTIFUL and this is coming from a PC gamer. THIS IS HUGGGE!
I feel the same way, also as a PC gamer.
Though I can't help but think how incredibly amazing a PC version would be

Castor Krieg said:
The game needs screenshot feature, as well as movie theater. I was stupid, most of the time I play my RPGs with one save slot. I should've been making new save slot every time, this way I would've been able to quickly access all the awesome FMVs.
I already have 90 FF13 saves or so :lol (It helps that they are so small)

Zeliard

Katana_Strikes said:

Plus, the way the characters are framed against the backdrop is always exquisite, especially Lightning. The contrast between character models and backgrounds is strikingly beautiful, and I pan the camera around all the time to get new looks at things. I agree with others that this game needs a screenshot feature.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Chapter 7 now (start).

Should I upgrade my weapons or not yet? :p

Pooya

Castor Krieg said:
I have about 100 saves so far (ch9), I created a new one in every save point, files are very small why not?

LiK

Durante said:
I feel the same way, also as a PC gamer.
Though I can't help but think how incredibly amazing a PC version would be

WTF, I only have 8 saves :lol

ithorien

Durante said:

Please don't take this the wrong way, but why so many?

I keep overwriting mine, haven't felt at any point yet that I need to make a new save in case I screw something up. Something I'm missing?

shwimpy

RPGCrazied said:
22hours in, chapter 11..

damn, finally in pulse! I did 3 of the hunts so far. The only thing I don't like about the game is the upgrade system. Do you ever find any weapons with an increased lvl? I mean, Lightning has a lvl 14gladius, and saszh has a lvl 9 pistol. . everyone is lvl one. ;/

I'm at the same spot as you but with lvl 1 weapons for everyone. :lol Not sure when I should start upgrading since I haven't had much trouble yet but at least when I do, I'll have a crapload of money/items to do so. I guess I'm waiting to upgrade the best lvl 1 weapon I receive but does it really matter? I heard every weapon changes into the same one at the end of upgrading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom