• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
FortunateSon said:
Nope. I played more, and my brother who plays it as well is further than me and I'm watching him, my points are valid.

By far he worst FF game imho. FF12 > FF13. This game is just eh.

Then I wonder why all your complaints are only valid for the first couple of hours?

Lothars

FortunateSon said:
Nope. I played more, and my brother who plays it as well is further than me and I'm watching him, my points are valid.

I doubt you played more than that and your completely wrong but it sounds like your not going to play more of it anyway.

Mandoric

Banned
FortunateSon said:

Doesn't the game rewarding you for being fast -encourage- strategy? Your strategic thinking is pretty damn shitty if pounding auto-attack is better DoT. :lol

Ferrio

Banned
Not sure where I'm at... but fought some boss that changed elemental powers constantly. First time I fought him I was fighting a good 20 mins or something... then died right as he was about to die. Then took like 6 more tries to finally down him. For a game that controls your actions it sure is tough.

Durante

FortunateSon said:
All you FF fans, traditional ones a least, you guys are going to dislike this game as much as I did.
Without going into the other points of your post, I remember at least 50 different FF fans posting impressions in this very thread who are greatly enjoying the game. Oh, and I do so as well.

Jeels

StarEye said:
Then I wonder why all your complaints are only valid for the first couple of hours?

Right, most of his complaints only apply to the first and second locations in the game. Some can be extended to the third. Some of the things said are just flat out wrong.

Ferrio said:
Not sure where I'm at... but fought some boss that changed elemental powers constantly. First time I fought him I was fighting a good 20 mins or something... then died right as he was about to die. Then took like 6 more tries to finally down him. For a game that controls your actions it sure is tough.

Chapter 5 boss, there are tricks to making these bosses easier and as long as you use every skill available to you they are pretty easy.

LiK

Jeels said:
Right, most of his complaints only apply to the first and second locations in the game. Some can be extended to the third. Some of the things said are just flat out wrong.
Yea, ppl are bitching about the early areas which are tutorials and haven't established the characters yet. The story takes its time and ppl trying to rush through it are not doing it right.

sdornan

FortunateSon said:
So I played this game, and wow, what a horrible game it is. Now, let me explain. I have it for the Ps3. Maybe I had such high expectations?

Gameplay, first and foremost doesn't excite me because you can't choose your party members, you can't have control over your party members, it's just a game of button mashing (auto-battle) every single darn time. You can't switch out members back and in. It's going from one battle to the other, nothing new. And if you die, the game is over. Here's the best part, the game awards you for being fast? What kind of a decisions is that? Isn't it about stratey, taking your time to make some killer combinations and not just smashing on the (x) button every second in every battle. All you FF fans, traditional ones a least, you guys are going to dislike this game as much as I did. Crystarium is basically a sphere grid but a much lesser one and not as fun. Paradigm shift, people talk so highly about is still button smashing, lol. :lol :lol

Characters, none of them stood out to me. Lightning probably stood out a bit to me, as she was the one I cared for a little. The rest, I could careless (Snow, Hope, Vanille etc...), hell; to be really honest, I cared about the Hope's mom the most, I really felt for her. The rest are meh characters. Vanille's annoying walk/run is just atrocious. Va's all around were okay, I really like snow's va. That is the one that stood out as wow, well done.

And the comes the whole issues about linearity, yes. This game is linear and not like other FF's before. It's linear in such a bad way. This is how it goes guys; battle > cutscene > battle > cutscene. Who wants that? It's such a drag and boring. This game has no side quests, no towns, no npc's, no explorations, no mini-games. It's a freaking streamlined, cut down to the max FF game.

Story is okay. Nothing too interesting, nothng that wanted me to keep going and playing more and more. Music on the other hand was great, but not excellent.

Like I said, this review is for all those fans that wanted a clear picture of how the game is.

And I could be wrong on some of this stuff, but for the most part, I'm right.

Edit: Forgot to add, that everything you buy in this game is just through an online-esque type of thing. You go to it and touch it, and you do everything from there. And that's it.

I tend to agree with most of this and I'm somewhere around chapter 7.

Ferrio

Banned
kyo_daikun said:
Chapter 5 boss, there are tricks to making these bosses easier and as long as you use every skill available to you they are pretty easy.

Well neither lightning/hope had a water spell so that was a no go when he was lightning. I'd switch out to synergist everytime he changed elements so i'd get the bar* spells. It just took a long long time to get the stagger. Even then it took two staggers to get him down

Durante

kyo_daikun said:
Yes, but I think his point was that you need to do stuff (even strategically do stuff!) otherwise you're going to get steamrolled, except in the very early chapters.

MidgarBlowedUp said:
Make that 51
I think I already counted you :lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
depths20XX said:
I like how the guy says paradigm switching is just "mashing buttons". Pretty dumb man
Some people just go into things with the full expectation they will hate it.

The game is deliberately very slow to introduce you to game play mechanics. If the game started out with full out strategy battles with all 5 roles, a significant number of players would get steamrolled into submission almost immediately. They spend a lot of time holding your hand as to how to really fight in the game; to the point that you're not even really utilizing all the roles up through Ch. 7.

sdornan

Angry Grimace said:
Some people just go into things with the full expectation they will hate it.

The game is deliberately very slow to introduce you to game play mechanics. If the game started out with full out strategy battles with all 5 roles, a significant number of players would get steamrolled into submission almost immediately. They spend a lot of time holding your hand as to how to really fight in the game; to the point that you're not even really utilizing all the roles up through Ch. 7.

I fully understand and sometimes expect lengthy tutorials, but 12 hours?

It baffles me how this game can be at once so pretty and expensive looking and also have some of the worst voice acting and dialogue ever. It's like if Michael Bay did melodrama. Also the story was utterly incomprehensible until I put like an hour into reading datalogs. Now it's just overwrought and stupid.

Anyway, despite all that I'm actually sort of enjoying the game, by intentionally trying just enjoy the ride, and not get all cynical. I'm only about 4 hours in, so I obviously have a ways to go before I form my final opinions.

if it was more open and give use more freedom at the start Iam 20 hour in and the levels are opening up alot more now and more freedom then the first part

its still not open, open but it would be better if the start give you more freedom then it much better

fighting feel like FFx-2 but faster the Paradigm shift like the jobs in FFx-2

Durante said:
Yes, but I think his point was that you need to do stuff (even strategically do stuff!) otherwise you're going to get steamrolled, except in the very early chapters.

I think I already counted you :lol

Ah yes very true

Add me too, game plays like a dream after FF12

Einbroch

Banned
So abilities with the Sword symbol are based on the Strength stat while those with a wand are the Magic stat, right?

Cause I'm wondering if the "-strike" abilities are magic or strength based.

Anso

Tell me about disc swapping on the 360. Does installing the discs on 360 ELIMINIATE the need to swap? Do you need to swap to go back to certain areas or is it so linear that you don't have to care about disc 1 after you've come to disc 2?

Toki767

Still very much enjoying the game. I'd just sit there and take in the scenery of Gran Pulse from time to time.

I feel like this game would work quite well as like a 26 episode anime series. :lol

Nose Master

The game is slow, restricted, and overall just shitty for the first five chapters. There's no way around that. If you can get past it, it gets much better, but I can't blame people who don't have the conviction to slog through 10 hours of tedious shit.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Anso said:
Tell me about disc swapping on the 360. Does installing the discs on 360 ELIMINIATE the need to swap? Do you need to swap to go back to certain areas or is it so linear that you don't have to care about disc 1 after you've come to disc 2?

No.
And you can't go back to any areas until near end game.

Evlar

Banned
Got to my first real test with the paradigm system and I loved it. Square-Enix has been speeding combat up faster and faster since FFX to the point you wonder how they can manage to keep it playable, and the system they've devised here is a fantastic solution to that problem.

(Since reductionist arguments are suddenly popular in this thread, I'm idly wondering which recent games can't be boiled down to "button-mashing", "point tracking", or "spreadsheet tweaking".)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Nose Master said:
The game is slow, restricted, and overall just shitty for the first five chapters. There's no way around that. If you can get past it, it gets much better, but I can't blame people who don't have the conviction to slog through 10 hours of tedious shit.
Agreed. This is probably the only FF game where, when people rage about it for years as they inevitably will, I will understand completely where they are coming from. There is fun to be had in this game but DAMN that linearity thing is a big blemish. No way around that.

sdornan

Evlar said:
Got to my first real test with the paradigm system and I loved it. Square-Enix has been speeding combat up faster and faster since FFX to the point you wonder how they can manage to keep it playable, and the system they've devised here is a fantastic solution to that problem.

(Since reductionist arguments are suddenly popular in this thread, I'm idly wondering which recent games can't be boiled down to "button-mashing", "point tracking", or "spreadsheet tweaking".)

Wii Sports?

desu said:
Options != Facts!

After reading that it seems like you just played a few hours...

Apparently he played more and still hated it, then went and watched his brother play more of it because he hated it sooooo much :p

gkryhewy

Evlar said:

Well said; I was thinking the same thing, but couldn't define it as well.

Giolon

BocoDragon said:
Agreed. This is probably the only FF game where, when people rage about it for years as they inevitably will, I will understand completely where they are coming from. There is fun to be had in this game but DAMN that linearity thing is a big blemish. No way around that.

I didn't find the linearity to be a negative - in fact I found it to be comforting. I thought the game did a very good job of introducing a wide variety of different combat situations to you, and by forcing you to play with specific classes, it teaches you about when you'd want to use pretty much any given combination of roles. How do you deal with offensive powerhouses when you've got no Sentinel? How do you deal with debuff spammers if you've got no Medic? How do you keep your Stagger meter up w/o a Commando? Stuff like that. Then they give you your whole party and let you choose how you want to approach everything.

Once I made it to the wide open area approx 30 hours in, I felt like they finally removed the final training wheels and said "Go for it!". It was a great feeling.

I'd argue that past entries like FFIV were just as linear - see there if you went in the wrong direction you just flat-out died. I don't need every game to be a Fallout style "Choose Your Own Adventure". If the gameplay's compelling (which it was after Chapter 3 and only got better as time went on) and the story is interesting (which again I thought it was around Chapter 3), then I've got no problem with linearity. FFX was just as linear, and I don't see a lot of people bitching about that.

Zzoram

I swear, the developers are mocking us.

Chapter 5 begins in a dungeon that is described as a maze, designed to confuse intruders. What does this dungeon look like? A zigzag line, with only 1 path. It's like they're laughing at us for still playing the game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
FortunateSon said:
So I played this game, and wow, what a horrible game it is. Now, let me explain. I have it for the Ps3. Maybe I had such high expectations?

Gameplay, first and foremost doesn't excite me because you can't choose your party members, you can't have control over your party members, it's just a game of button mashing (auto-battle) every single darn time. You can't switch out members back and in. It's going from one battle to the other, nothing new. And if you die, the game is over. Here's the best part, the game awards you for being fast? What kind of a decisions is that? Isn't it about stratey, taking your time to make some killer combinations and not just smashing on the (x) button every second in every battle. All you FF fans, traditional ones a least, you guys are going to dislike this game as much as I did. Crystarium is basically a sphere grid but a much lesser one and not as fun. Paradigm shift, people talk so highly about is still button smashing, lol. :lol :lol

Characters, none of them stood out to me. Lightning probably stood out a bit to me, as she was the one I cared for a little. The rest, I could careless (Snow, Hope, Vanille etc...), hell; to be really honest, I cared about the Hope's mom the most, I really felt for her. The rest are meh characters. Vanille's annoying walk/run is just atrocious. Va's all around were okay, I really like snow's va. That is the one that stood out as wow, well done.

And the comes the whole issues about linearity, yes. This game is linear and not like other FF's before. It's linear in such a bad way. This is how it goes guys; battle > cutscene > battle > cutscene. Who wants that? It's such a drag and boring. This game has no side quests, no towns, no npc's, no explorations, no mini-games. It's a freaking streamlined, cut down to the max FF game.

Story is okay. Nothing too interesting, nothng that wanted me to keep going and playing more and more. Music on the other hand was great, but not excellent.

Like I said, this review is for all those fans that wanted a clear picture of how the game is.

And I could be wrong on some of this stuff, but for the most part, I'm right.

Edit: Forgot to add, that everything you buy in this game is just through an online-esque type of thing. You go to it and touch it, and you do everything from there. And that's it.

How does the monotone military ice queen stand out more than Sazh and Hope? That makes no sense to me.

Also, your complaint of no side quests is incorrect. The game has a WEALTH of side quests, but they are unfortunately all grouped in the last 3 chapters of the game.

You think you're doing people a service by giving them a "clear picture" of the game, but you're giving people a picture they could form themselves by playing the game for 35 minutes. There's nothing in depth, engaging or particularly well researched about this "review". You don't have to like the game for me to respect your opinion. You just need to know what you're talking about.

FortunateSon said:

And I'm sure you're the most qualified person to make this judgment. You've obviously played all of the FF games.

HINT: The series didn't start at VII.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Im at the
big Airship when you are rescuing Sazh and Vanille
, I think Im almost finished with it but damn its like one big gauntlet. I was trying to fight every enemy in each section, holy crap that takes awhile. :lol

Also, getting Ifrit was fiery pain in my ass, but I love him now.

p.s. I <3 this game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
tapedeck said:
Im at the
big Airship when you are rescuing Sazh and Vanille
, I think Im almost finished with it but damn its like one big gauntlet. I was trying to fight every enemy in each section, holy crap that takes awhile. :lol

Also, getting Ifrit was fiery pain in my ass, but I love him now.

p.s. I <3 this game.

What FF are you playing exactly? You're most certainly not playing XIII.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom